Sign in to follow this  
Chairborne

Arma 2 sample models LAV-25 port

Take your time - exams are more important than a game! The community can wait another month or two! ;)

Looking very good! Love the water-based animations :) Damage animations are kind of a PITA depending on what you need to hide (assuming you mean to hide things when damaged). Just make sure you define them as their own animation as per the sample model.cfg items... e.g. "damageXXX" for the part you need to hide, etc. Those things on an animated part will need their own section defined in the model as well.

About the random clutter things... you can make a series of random clutter "vehicles" so you never see "copies" of the same one in the game... perhaps a dozen different arrangements. Make those their own private-scoped "vehicle" in game, inherit from something like a helper object or a pallet. Create an INIT EH script to randomly select one, then attachTo the vehicle. Make a KILLED EH to remove it when the vehicle dies. We're doing that for some of the Unsung vehicles and it works quite well. Makes for a visually interesting mix. And it is kind of fun to copy/paste random things like camo nets, duffle bags, ammo crates, whatever to the arrangement! :)

Oh one last question - can I have a copy of all your work so I can put this into my awesomeMod? LOL j/k

I opened a thread for the anims, maybe someone with better skills than me can help me:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?178485-Animationsources-won-t-inherit-properly

Anyway yes, it was about the damage animations, i need to switch from normal tyres to damagewheels but for some reason i can't get my Lav to inherit the right properties.

Also the hull should look burned or damaged when damaged enough but that won't work as well and i don't know where to look.

About the random clutter things... you can make a series of random clutter "vehicles" so you never see "copies" of the same one in the game... perhaps a dozen different arrangements. Make those their own private-scoped "vehicle" in game, inherit from something like a helper object or a pallet. Create an INIT EH script to randomly select one, then attachTo the vehicle. Make a KILLED EH to remove it when the vehicle dies. We're doing that for some of the Unsung vehicles and it works quite well. Makes for a visually interesting mix. And it is kind of fun to copy/paste random things like camo nets, duffle bags, ammo crates, whatever to the arrangement!

This sounds nice, i've seen that randomization is supported by the engine with some scripts, some vehicles like the offroad have that. I'll look into it.

Oh one last question - can I have a copy of all your work so I can put this into my awesomeMod? LOL j/k

Sure, i'll send them right away. :rolleyes: ;)

If we can get a modeler on this we should update it to the A2's.

I'm an LAV-25 Crewman so I can get the inside scoop on pictures, etc if you guys need it.

Good news everyone, i managed to get the wheel damage animations working.

Had to redefine everything instead of inheriting from the common wheeled apc class, go figure.

Now i still need to figure out why the body of the vehicle won't get rusty or show damage textures when hit. :confused:

My modeling skills are rather limited, so short answer is no for now.

I gave it a thought and took a look at other models for parts i could use (like the stryker), given that the AT turret is a common design and the recovery wench isn't really complex but i haven't found anything satisfying yet.

Maybe at a later stage once i've finished everything else i'll look into it.

Small correction:

The AT turrets between the Stryker's and the LAV's are not of a common design unless you're solely referencing the fact that they both hold optics and two missiles.

http://i.imgur.com/RYWsExw.jpg (788 kB)

The LAV's AT turret rises up on a scissor lift whereas the Stryker's is on a telescopic lift. They're also of a completely different shape.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/stryker-ATGM001b.jpg

Sorry to nitpick but having been a Marine, much like the LAV crewman who announced himself earlier (I'm sorry if you're with 2nd LAR), makes it mandatory for me to point out these differences.

Edited by Handicap
Stupid image tags..

I meant that the turret the LAV-AT uses is common to other vehicles like the M901, i was hoping for the stryker AT to have the correct turret but it doesn't, hence why "i haven't found anything satisfying yet".

I meant that the turret the LAV-AT uses is common to other vehicles like the M901, i was hoping for the stryker AT to have the correct turret but it doesn't, hence why "i haven't found anything satisfying yet".

Rgr that. You don't need to justify yourself to me man. ;) Just being a prick and pointing things out.

You should check out and see if the new turrets on the new LAVs have any pictures out yet. Shouldn't be too horribly hard to animate/rig up something after a quick build since they're relatively small. I'm also not a 3d object building kind of guy so I could be 100% horribly wrong.

Exams must be over :)

Now i still need to figure out why the body of the vehicle won't get rusty or show damage textures when hit. :confused:

do you mean when destroyed, or the little sparks when impacted by a bullet?

- destroyed: ensure the "zbytek" selection is for all faces and you have a damage RVMAT described in the class Damage section. But this should already be in the config from the sample models. Usually a "damaged" RVMAT and a "destroyed" RVMAT is defined to use the correct textures. Just swaps textures at the 33%/66%/99% marks for damage to swap to the new textures.

- damaged: make sure the fire geometry lod has a penetration RVMAT defined for the faces. That's where the sparks/rubber sounds etc come from

Rgr that. You don't need to justify yourself to me man. ;) Just being a prick and pointing things out.

You should check out and see if the new turrets on the new LAVs have any pictures out yet. Shouldn't be too horribly hard to animate/rig up something after a quick build since they're relatively small. I'm also not a 3d object building kind of guy so I could be 100% horribly wrong.

I read a new turret was planned but as far as i know they're just "considering" it, i'm not sure it has already gone into production or entered any experimental/prototype phase.

do you mean when destroyed, or the little sparks when impacted by a bullet?

- destroyed: ensure the "zbytek" selection is for all faces and you have a damage RVMAT described in the class Damage section. But this should already be in the config from the sample models. Usually a "damaged" RVMAT and a "destroyed" RVMAT is defined to use the correct textures. Just swaps textures at the 33%/66%/99% marks for damage to swap to the new textures.

- damaged: make sure the fire geometry lod has a penetration RVMAT defined for the faces. That's where the sparks/rubber sounds etc come from

I mean when a vehicle sustains a certain amount of damage the hull usually starts changing color and becomes progressively rusty with bullet holes, scratches, burns etc.

I was thinking about the damaged RVMAT as well, in fact the original one from the LAV and the one from a normal A3 APC are very different, maybe there is something that needs to be updated.

Sounds should be ok.

Just so you know, i haven't forgotten about this.

However i'm having issues with current Arma 3 Tools preventing me from continuing my work on the LAV (or any other mod that requires me going through Addon Builder).

Hopefully someone from the devs listens to my b*tching and finally comes around to fix the tools.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=19256

Pboproject is not working with this specific addon:

class CfgMovesBasic
rapify Version 1.74, Dll 4.52 "config.cpp"
In File Cha\Cha_Lav25\CrewAnimations.hpp: Line 1 Expected Inherit or {

I googled it some time ago and it seems to be a known problem with PboProject (or maybe i'm incapable of fixing it).

Edited by Chairborne

you need to fix the config error it tells you about (and dont use too complex macros)

upload the config and all included files

/cut!

Edited by Chairborne

missing semicolon at the end of the enum definition

It worked! Thanks a lot, i would've never figured it out on my own.

Got the damage textures and animations to work correctly:

87le.png

Now it's the LAV-C2's turn.

Great work so far man. It's going to be nice having the pigs back in game over the current crop of wanna-be futuristic LAVs. They just don't have the flavor or character of the classic 25.

I stand corrected, didn't know it was an actual in-service vehicle. We'll have to see how LM&G's Havoc variant turns out when and if they ever get around to producing one to replace the current crop of LAV-25's in the US.

Original statement still stands though :P The BIS interpretation of it lacks character in comparison to the LAV-25's of ARMA 2.. Even the Stryker (yuck) has more character at this point than the in-game version of the AMV. We need someone to slap some packs and RPG armor onto the side of it and then I'm sure it would be appreciated much more.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/89/Polish_Rosomak_in_Afghanistan.jpg/800px-Polish_Rosomak_in_Afghanistan.jpg (107 kB)

I'm waiting for a release, my realism unit is based on US Marine Corps so this type of addons help us a lot. Thank you very much!

;)

I stand corrected, didn't know it was an actual in-service vehicle. We'll have to see how LM&G's Havoc variant turns out when and if they ever get around to producing one to replace the current crop of LAV-25's in the US.

Original statement still stands though :P The BIS interpretation of it lacks character in comparison to the LAV-25's of ARMA 2.. Even the Stryker (yuck) has more character at this point than the in-game version of the AMV. We need someone to slap some packs and RPG armor onto the side of it and then I'm sure it would be appreciated much more.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/89/Polish_Rosomak_in_Afghanistan.jpg/800px-Polish_Rosomak_in_Afghanistan.jpg (107 kB)

The Patria AMV, or the Marshall as we know it, goes by a lot of other names, like the Badger, and the NB marines have the USMC designation HAVOC. which in reality is just an armor upgrade to the patria.