Sign in to follow this  
egilsandfeld

Bornholm, Denmark [Terrain WIP]

Sailing from the Meditarrean France back home to Finland, and just arrived in Rønne today! Bornholm is a very interesting place and Rønne looks nice as well. This should be very good, especially when we get some proper Russian units (RHS...).

I'm quite curious how a map like this differs in performance from a map like Altis. Is there a noticable difference?

Like a wrote on an earlier page, the impact on performance is higher than on Altis, but that's because of the lush nature of Bornholm. I have tried different things to not stress it too much and made several steps to lower the demands. But because of the lush nature with a rich varianted vegetation it does lower the FPS a bit. For me, in Altis I run about 45 FPS I guess while Bornholm does 30-40 depending on location. That being said, my CPU is old (i7-860), so newer CPU should not be impacted that much :)

remain very attentive to this project! I really want to try the Island!

These guys from Danish Armed Forces are helping me test the island. This way it'll take way less time to do the testing, so we can all enjoy Bornholm very soon :)

These guys from Danish Armed Forces are helping me test the island. This way it'll take way less time to do the testing, so we can all enjoy Bornholm very soon :)

Cool. I found some day a server that said something about Bornholm testing. Nice to have some more video out of that island :)

Look awesome the landscapes portrayed in the video.

Although that weird mixture of German and Swedish they talk... :p ( just kidding, Danish sounds funny! )

Nice to see the terrain... wasnt the most interesting battle, but a good showcase nonetheless.

Is that ekkodalen they are fighting in?

Also did the video sound like this to anyone else : :cool:

Good luck with testing and hopefully those... highly trained danish soldiers will get rekt in another choke-point again... for our viewing pleasure ;)

Indeed it was in Echo Valley that we in our stupidity took up a defensive position :)

Testing is going really well but I might not be that active in here in the next two weeks, because I move to a new location. Fear not though :) A release should be very near just on the other side, I would assume :)

Good luck with testing and hopefully those... highly trained danish soldiers will get rekt in another choke-point again... for our viewing pleasure ;)

These highly trained Danish soldiers will certainly make more stupid things before they are done with testing Bornholm ..

No seriously

It is clearly the best arma 3 map I've been on and opportunities for all forms of battle are endless.

EgilSandfeld deserves great recognition and honor for making this awesome map completely independent

and it is surprising that Bohemia Interactive is not also choose and come up with more maps

Nice :).

Have you guys tried any parachuting, since its so flat it seems good for that type of thing... Could you do a Normandy and parachute over enemy beach defense into their lines into some fields... looking at bornholm I think that might a perfect idea for a mission :cool:.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9959158/Arma/MapTesting.jpg

Thorough testing of roads going on at the moment. I need to plan and level them so it doesn't conflict with vehicles on the roads. Also looking for other errors at the moment. When we have completed all testing and I have solved the bugs, I think we are good to go :)

If anyone would like to support me in my work, don't hesitate to knock this fella:

PPDonate.gif

@Gruntin :

I might not be that active in here in the next two weeks, because I move to a new location. Fear not though :) A release should be very near just on the other side, I would assume :)

Love how the night setting looks! Truly will love to do some night raids... Nice job so far. I truly think im going to have fun playing on a woods themed map for once. Cheranus is just not happening for me... I'm more of a nighttime "desert" themed lover.

I think Dueodde will make a fantastic D-day spot when it comes to release. Can't wait. Although, between looking at Ronne on google maps and seeing you create a town I'm very excited for CQB on bornholm too. For that matter (please don't kill me, dear forum veterans) it looks like it could be quite beautiful for a life mod, just going about my day smuggling through the docks, dodging Danish police. Best of luck with keeping the island running at good frame rates without making too many sacrifices though, the dense woods kind of worry me.

I'm literally half way through a 5960x build precisely to cover that off...... Moar Frames !

Very nice. I just updated my cpu from a i7-860 to a i7-4770k at 3.5Ghz. Before Bornholm ran with about 25 - 50 FPS. Now though it's doing 40 - 70 FPS. Just to give you some references...

I'm not updating that much in here but that's actually because Danish Armed Forces and I are testing the whole Island through. We are about halfway through, and will be done within a week. From there it's the last final details needed on the mask and sat :)

I'm on i920... So hoping to see the same improvement... Just need my blooking WC blocks to appear !

SJ

Have you tested with heavy battles yet? Or just with light firefights and making sure the forests don't kill CPUs like Chernarus might've? I just hope I can get 20 FPS, as I'm in a predicament where I can't really get more than an integrated AMD processor.