Sign in to follow this  
scottmillerukctrg

Question about the T-100

Well, it has been some time since they have updated the T-100 Varsuk's shells, but only now I have the opportunity to ask this.

Now there are 3 instead of just 2: HEAT, APFDS and HE.

While I am aware of the purposes of the APFDS and HE shells (anti armor and anti personel, respectively), I have no idea what should i use this new HEAT shell to. Does anyone know the answer to this problem? Thanks.

Multi-purpose. Keep HEAT loaded by default, so you can effectively engage targets of opportunity, then switch to AP/HE when you have a confirmed target.

High explosive anti tank, should be a multi-purpose shell designed to engage vehicles with light and medium armor, buildings and static weapons.

Think of it like this:

HEAT (High Explosive Anti Tank) is a shaped charge designed to kill light to medium armor. It should also be somewhat effective against infantry.

HE (High Explosive) is a fragmentaion round designed to engage infantry or light unarmored vehicles.

All so AP rounds loose effectvness over distanst where HEAT is has good.

I would agree that keeping HEAT has the shell loaded is the best move.

If you struggling between chooising 3 rounds what about when your tank has. HE, HESH, sabot, HEAT, WP and canstir. Hell that not even all the posbil rounds. And should the T100 not all so carry tube fired ATGMs?

That is SAPHEI or semi armour piercing high explosive incendiary.

I always keep APFSDS loaded by default (I call it being "loaded for bear") because APFSDS will kill EVERY vehicle in the known universe (tanks, light armour and softskins).

I mean, if you're only loaded with HEAT or HE and an enemy main battle tank shows up, you're up scheisse creek because you'll lose vital seconds switching to APFSDS.

(Israeli tank doctrine:- "whoever fires first wins")

Only if I'm positive no MBT's are around will I switch to HEAT to engage light armour, and HE to duff up softskins and infantry.

Typical APDS round (this is 120mm Abrams)

Abrams-120mm-Sabot_zps23202615.jpg~original

Edited by PoorOldSpike

I always keep APFSDS loaded by default (I call it being "loaded for bear") because APFSDS will kill EVERY vehicle in the known universe (tanks, light armour and softskins).

Yeah, but APFSDS is a kinetic round and much less effective against shoulder fired AT weapons fired from cover/concealment or entrenched AT positions. At some point, what to keep in the magazine/chamber depends on your judgement of the situation.

Edited by MissionCreep

Yeah, but APFSDS is a kinetic round and much less effective against shoulder fired AT weapons fired from cover/concealment or entrenched AT positions. At some point, what to keep in the magazine/chamber depends on your judgement of the situation.
but then i dont think ive ever killed an AT guy with a HE or HEAT round that are more than 300 meters away, not for trying though, i normally end up getting out and throwing stones instead

And our tank MG's are pretty good at killing infantry and softskins..:)

PS- If your tank is under enemy bot AT missile or gun fire and you don't know where it's coming from, you can pop your smoke grenades (default key C) because enemy bots can't see through smoke. and it'll buy you time to move behind a building or into dead ground etc,

Only human AT missilemen can see through smoke, I ran tests on pages 6 and 7 here-

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?175240-Weapon-tests/page6

Edited by PoorOldSpike

my big grip with AI locking tanks is theres no warning, no audible beep, not sure if you get this in RL or not but think it should be in the game so you have a chance to pop smoke and bug out of there, also when your AI get out cause the tank got hit they seem to just stand next to it and not run away from it then end up getting blown up <<<< bug

my big grip with AI locking tanks is theres no warning, no audible beep, not sure if you get this in RL or not but think it should be in the game so you have a chance to pop smoke and bug out of there, also when your AI get out cause the tank got hit they seem to just stand next to it and not run away from it then end up getting blown up <<<< bug

It is possible to detect targeting lasers, but there is no way to detect when you are being locked optically/thermally. Any warning that you are being locked by handheld AT would be unrealistic.

It is possible to detect targeting lasers, but there is no way to detect when you are being locked optically/thermally. Any warning that you are being locked by handheld AT would be unrealistic.

False. At least for the Russians anyway. The most Modern T-90 and up, have laser sensitive receivers around the tank that will alert the crew if someone is locking them, allowing the crew to quickly find direction and either return fire, or rarely fire at the enemy before they can get a shot off. In short, if you fire at a T-90 in real life with LGM (Laser Guided Missile), expect shells to land right next to you, or blow you away, because they will whip around and fire back at you.

False. At least for the Russians anyway. The most Modern T-90 and up, have laser sensitive receivers around the tank that will alert the crew if someone is locking them, allowing the crew to quickly find direction and either return fire, or rarely fire at the enemy before they can get a shot off. In short, if you fire at a T-90 in real life with LGM (Laser Guided Missile), expect shells to land right next to you, or blow you away, because they will whip around and fire back at you.

The system can immediately turn the turret towards the source of the laser and simultaneously the Shtora system is engaged. It basically blinds the laserreceiver in the missile. On top of that smoke shells can be set to launch automatically. LGMs have a hard time against T-90s. Even with multiple LGMs fired at once. Shtora is awesome.

How is what I said false?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

How is what I said false?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

It isn't. Laser Guided <> Thermal <> Optical.

It isn't. Laser Guided <> Thermal <> Optical.

I know. I'm just wondering if he read what he quoted.

The sytem the russians use can only dedected lassers. So wire guided, IR guided or laser beam ridding extra will not be picked up.