fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

fabrizio_T ; Thank you very much! Your work is huge and super mod !!!!. Happy years to you life ..

Hi Fabrizio...I see that 0.17 does support userconfig, how exactly do I use this for my server? I have custom server folders so I put bcombat.pbo into the addon folder and the config.sqf into the root of my @Immersion folder, but I am not sure if the addon is enabling in game. I have ticked debug on the config.sqf however I am getting no balls or text hints. Is there a function to run to check if bcombat is running?

Ty. Verified and solved in my local build.

Collecting some more feedback before releasing a hotfix.

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

It does work, as long as you run it on server only (e.g. no player led AI groups).

Very cool. Definitely going to give this a try once my group gets back into operation. All my players hate AI anyway :p

Hi,

i am aware of that problem, more a hassle than an issue.

It's already fixed, you just have to re-download the package from GitHub, or just the bcombat.pbo.

Just to check, has this "hotfix" been applied to the Play with Six version?

A big thankyou fabrizio_T, this mod really is superb.

Just to check, has this "hotfix" been applied to the Play with Six version?

A big thankyou fabrizio_T, this mod really is superb.

Should be so, still i wasn't able to claim and directly manage the mod onto Six yet.

I'd suggest using the GitHub package instead, while i setup the Six account completely.

---------- Post added at 07:27 ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 ----------

Hi Fabrizio...I see that 0.17 does support userconfig, how exactly do I use this for my server? I have custom server folders so I put bcombat.pbo into the addon folder and the config.sqf into the root of my @Immersion folder, but I am not sure if the addon is enabling in game. I have ticked debug on the config.sqf however I am getting no balls or text hints. Is there a function to run to check if bcombat is running?

You may easily check whether bCombat is running by checking if you see a hint ("bCombat vX.XX has started") at top-right of the screen, when launching any missions.

I'd suggest putting the mod into its own "@bcombat" folder into ArmA3 install directory, not to encounter any path issues.

For sure "config.sqf" is expected to be there (<arma 3 directory>/@bcombat/config.sqf), so with a different setup it will be ignored (hence mod will run on default settings).

That's probably what's happening to you.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Hey fabrizio_T

I really love your mod and i asked the playwithsix team like a week ago to add the mod to playwithsix and it was added today. hope you dont mind asking on your behalf, but i really wanted to use the mod with Six launcher. and also supported the mod in MakeArmaNotWar contest ;).

For some reason not having permission to post links, i couldnt post the link for the mod on playwithsix, but its available on Playwithsix if you search @bComat .

I would love to see the mod for Multiplayer and coop missions use as well.

Any status when its going to be available for use in Multiplayer mode or in coop missions ? Please the whole Arma coop community will appreciate if it gets available for MP mode.

Thanks again for your wonderful contribution to Arma community ;)

Hey fabrizio_T

I really love your mod and i asked the playwithsix team like a week ago to add the mod to playwithsix and it was added today. hope you dont mind asking on your behalf, but i really wanted to use the mod with Six launcher. and also supported the mod in MakeArmaNotWar contest ;).

For some reason not having permission to post links, i couldnt post the link for the mod on playwithsix, but its available on Playwithsix if you search @bComat .

I would love to see the mod for Multiplayer and coop missions use as well.

Any status when its going to be available for use in Multiplayer mode or in coop missions ? Please the whole Arma coop community will appreciate if it gets available for MP mode.

Thanks again for your wonderful contribution to Arma community ;)

Thank you for your kind reply.

I've requested the addition of the mod on WithSix myself, about a week ago, so don't worry.

I'll claim the mod in order to actively maintain it. For the time being i think it would be preferable to use GitHub version though, since it's already managed directly by me.

About MP: it's not officially supported, but bCombat does work fine when used on server only (e.g. coop against AI): i got plenty of positive feedback from people actually running bCombat on their server.

Full MP impementation is not in the works as of now, since much has still to be done on SP before ...

---------- Post added at 12:45 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

WithSIX page for bCombat is:

http://play.withsix.com/Arma-3/mods/YGrkCgNy4xGOFAAVF72WTA/bCombat-AI-Mod

Please consider i'm not yet mantaining the code here nor the information, which is a bit messed.

I'll inform you when i get in full control of WithSix page (i have to sort an issue with my BI profile first).

In the meantime i strongly encourage using either:

GitHub version: https://github.com/fabrizioT/bCombat

Steam Workshop version: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=314397752

GitHub version excels for ease of configurability, while Steam version is almost perfect for getting a grasp of the features with almost no effort (subscribe, activate from within official ArmA3 launcher and play).

Except for ease of configuration, these 2 versions are identical.

Edited by fabrizio_T

WithSIX page for bCombat is:

http://play.withsix.com/Arma-3/mods/...bCombat-AI-Mod

Please consider i'm not yet mantaining the code here nor the information, which is a bit messed.

I'll inform you when i get in full control of WithSix page (i have to sort an issue with my BI profile first).

Greetings fanrizio_t I am happy to say that you should be able to get full access very soon, we are nearly ready to release the management system to you and other mod developers. Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Sonsalt

Greetings fanrizio_t I am happy to say that you should be able to get full access very soon, we are nearly ready to release the management system to you and other mod developers. Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Sonsalt

Thank you.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

In the meantime i've added the 4 download links (Github, Steam Workshop, WithSIX and Armaholic) onto the first page of this thread, for future reference.

Thanks for getting this on PWS and your continued work!!

Thanks for getting this on PWS and your continued work!!

Thanks.

Please can you or anybody give me feedback about PWS version ?

I hope it's working ok, without any path issues.

I'll give it a try tonight

edit: just checked it seems fine... downloads and runs with PWS no issues

http://imgur.com/lAd4vhW

Edited by SavageCDN

You may easily check whether bCombat is running by checking if you see a hint ("bCombat vX.XX has started") at top-right of the screen, when launching any missions.

I'd suggest putting the mod into its own "@bcombat" folder into ArmA3 install directory, not to encounter any path issues.

For sure "config.sqf" is expected to be there (<arma 3 directory>/@bcombat/config.sqf), so with a different setup it will be ignored (hence mod will run on default settings).

That's probably what's happening to you.

Would be great if you could re-enable the userconfig feature. Those of us who are server owners who run custom mod-packs are kinda griefed by this 'config.sqf' usage. I understand if you don't wish to, however bear in mind there are those around the community that prefer small modpack sizes & small file counts to launch with. Rather than launching with 25 separate folders, we can launch with 5 superfolders categorized by mod type.

A lot of work was done today, in order to move towards v0.17 FINAL.

Most of the work was done on the investigate behaviour, which is crucial for the next few steps.

This behaviour is responsible for recon activity and greatly increases group's environmental awareness.

AI leaders are already capable (within v0.17RC) to send out units in order to investigate nearby sources of noise (threats) such as gunfire, explosions.

There are fixed thresholds limiting the distance recon units can travel, not to collide with planned waypoints route.

The implementation i'm currently working on is a further development of this concept.

Hardcoded distance thresholds are gone. The distance some investigating unit is allowed to travel is being defined by 4 dynamic criteria:

1) group behaviour

2) group combatmode

3) waypoint type and completion radius

4) group proximity to its current waypoint / destination.

That's quite some difference, a step towards rules of engagement.

It means for instance that the leader of a group on a HOLD waypoint and in GREEN combat mode ( = hold fire) will usually avoid sending out scouting units, except for very close (potential) threats.

On the contrary the leader of a group close to its SEEK & DESTORY waypoint and having RED combat mode ( = engage at will ) is likely to send out some units to investigate noise, even many hundreds meters away.

An in-between case: a group having a MOVE waypoint and YELLOW combat mode is more likely to attack nearby threats the more it approaches its waypoint and viceversa.

There's more: once any threats are eventually discovered by investigating / recon units, AI leader may move the whole group to counter them, depending on the outcome of the same criteria.

All this basically means that AI groups should be able to adopt more adaptive tactics on the battlefield, without derailing from the planned route (All this logic may be considered as a termporary tactical diversion).

Edited by fabrizio_T

A config option to disable the bdetect init hint would be nice. There's one for bcombat and although I'm pretty sure there was a way to disable the bdetect one a while back, it's not in the latest version.

Keep up the good work, mate.

Hi,

at first let me say that this mod looks like the best AI mod atm. One thing I noticed though is, while the AI behaves astonishingly good and smart in short to midrange engagements, they tend to do the old "oh let me lay down here" routine when under sniper or DM fire (as in, not many bullets fired at them). is there a way to detect the range from where they're shot at and have them actually run to the nearest hard cover?

Keep up the impressive work

A config option to disable the bdetect init hint would be nice. There's one for bcombat and although I'm pretty sure there was a way to disable the bdetect one a while back, it's not in the latest version.

Keep up the good work, mate.

Hi, thank you for reporting this (documentation) issue.

An undocumented setting is responsible for toggling bDetect hint.

Please add into config.sqf, just below bcombat_startup_hint setting line:

bdetect_startup_hint = false;

This should disable bDetect hint.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Hi,

at first let me say that this mod looks like the best AI mod atm. One thing I noticed though is, while the AI behaves astonishingly good and smart in short to midrange engagements, they tend to do the old "oh let me lay down here" routine when under sniper or DM fire (as in, not many bullets fired at them). is there a way to detect the range from where they're shot at and have them actually run to the nearest hard cover?

Keep up the impressive work

Yes, at range AI units behaviour may be not optimal, sometimes not significatively better than vanilla.

There are objective difficulties, but it's something i'm willing to enhance.

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 ----------

Would be great if you could re-enable the userconfig feature. Those of us who are server owners who run custom mod-packs are kinda griefed by this 'config.sqf' usage. I understand if you don't wish to, however bear in mind there are those around the community that prefer small modpack sizes & small file counts to launch with. Rather than launching with 25 separate folders, we can launch with 5 superfolders categorized by mod type.

I understand your concern.

Userconfig was disabled in order to make Steam Workshop distribution possible (it has quite some constraints as of now).

I'm not excluding reactivating it, but for now i'd like to avoid managing several different packages of the mod because it would be extremely time-consuming.

I hope you understand.

Then, while i always highly recommend installing bCombat as per-instructions, experienced people may experiment with other options.

I've not checked it, but i think bcombat.pbo (which is the whole mod, contained into the addons/ folder) can be put basically anywhere.

I would be grateful to anybody willing to check this out, since i can't at the moment.

What's critical is config.sqf path, which is supposed to override default settings, not to declare them.

Please consider that as long as you don't need to tweak default settings, you can simply omit config.sqf. It's not needed.

Otherwise, for tweaking sake, you should necessarily put config.sqf into a folder named @bcombat, within ArmA3 installation directory.

Also game should be launched without the -nofilepatching startup param.

Hope this makes sense, take care.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Hi there. really hope im posting in the right place here but by any chance does anyone else use TMR realism mod with bcombat and have a config that seems to make them work a bit better together? At times the two of them together give the best singleplayer infantry experience i've had for sure (especially coupled with whole lotta altis), but at other times it just seems that they conflict in ways that deem it quite unplayable e.g. the AT soldiers goofing up and squad not leaving combat mode and moving very slow through open terain. If someone could explain why it's doing this and whether or not it's fixable it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Also thanks for such an amazing mod Fabrizio was quite disappointed when I picked up ARMA and found out the AI had the intelligence of a potato. Bcombat has really opened ARMA 3 up for me so thank you again.

Edited by Darrenk756

I'm about to leave for a few days journey.

So please consider i won't be able to reply for the next few days.

I'll be back on the 23th.

---------- Post added at 07:14 ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 ----------

Hi there. really hope im posting in the right place here but by any chance does anyone else use TMR realism mod with bcombat and have a config that seems to make them work a bit better together? At times the two of them together give the best singleplayer infantry experience i've had for sure (especially coupled with whole lotta altis), but at other times it just seems that they conflict in ways that deem it quite unplayable e.g. the AT soldiers goofing up and squad not leaving combat mode and moving very slow through open terain. If someone could explain why it's doing this and whether or not it's fixable it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Also thanks for such an amazing mod Fabrizio was quite disappointed when I picked up ARMA and found out the AI had the intelligence of a potato. Bcombat has really opened ARMA 3 up for me so thank you again.

I'm sorry, but i haven't the answer to this problem.

I have no clue on what TMR does "under the hood" and not using it myself, hence it's extremely hard for me to tell what's conflicting.

hi,

first of all really nice mod. but theres a problem i can fix. if i try bcombat in the editor there are no balloons over the heads of the ai. i get an hint message that bcombat starts but no balloons. i upload it with PWS. the debug in the config.sqf is set to true. did anyone have the same problem or some advises for me what i do wrong?

hi,

first of all really nice mod. but theres a problem i can fix. if i try bcombat in the editor there are no balloons over the heads of the ai. i get an hint message that bcombat starts but no balloons. i upload it with PWS. the debug in the config.sqf is set to true. did anyone have the same problem or some advises for me what i do wrong?

Plese doublecheck this:

1) do you have your "@bcombat" folder located into your ArmA3 installation directory?

2) Does that folder contain your config.sqf file?

3) are you running the game WITHOUT the -nofilepatching startup parameter ?

If you correctly set debug to true within config.sqf, it's sery likely you have an issue with one or more of the above points.

Plese doublecheck this:

1) do you have your "@bcombat" folder located into your ArmA3 installation directory?

2) Does that folder contain your config.sqf file?

3) are you running the game WITHOUT the -nofilepatching startup parameter ?

If you correctly set debug to true within config.sqf, it's sery likely you have an issue with one or more of the above points.

thx for your reply. i checked what you said.

1) @bcombat located in documents/arma3. this is where PWS installed all mods.

2) @bcombat contains config.sqf

3) no -nofilepatching in startupparameters

but no balloons. :confused: this game is making me crazy.