fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

Thank you for the explanation. The crouch thing sounds very logical.

About the prone thing: I consider 50 meters to be a really short distance to go prone, really. It is a distance around which combat is still really fast and aggressive. Going prone is slow and therefore hindering unit's performance, in my opinion. 50 meters is a distance where it is very unlikely to miss a prone target with full auto fire. Fast reflexes are needed for such a distance, in my opinion.

I agree once again. Is this parameter tunable? If not, can you?

Really really love bCombat. Has anybody used bCombat in conjunction with MCC and its GAIA AI system? Which one seems to override the other? I really like spawning units in the zones within MCC but I'm thinking that the GAIA might override bCombat... When I just spawn units in the editor and give them waypoints then it seems like bCombat works beautifully--but all the work I have to put in to giving them waypoints etc is kinda a lot plus it isn't random like spawning units in an MCC zone with random waypoints. Would really love to find a way to keep bCombat and also have random patrolling enemies. Sorry if this is off topic.

Thank you for the explanation. The crouch thing sounds very logical.

About the prone thing: I consider 50 meters to be a really short distance to go prone, really. It is a distance around which combat is still really fast and aggressive. Going prone is slow and therefore hindering unit's performance, in my opinion. 50 meters is a distance where it is very unlikely to miss a prone target with full auto fire. Fast reflexes are needed for such a distance, in my opinion.

I agree once again. Is this parameter tunable? If not, can you?

Ok, fair enough.

The point is it's a matter of taste, so bcombat_stance_prone_min_distance variable will be introduced within next release, so minimum prone distance can be tweaked at will.

---------- Post added at 07:53 ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 ----------

"-Surrendering behaviour"

How can you try to force the AI to surrender? I've been setting up random battles in the editor to see how the AI fight differently and all that, and don't think I've seen AI surrendering to AI yet.

Within recent bCombat versions (v0.16+) surrendering happens as a consequence of loss of leadership and a morale hit.

In this situation any nearby active (suppressing) enemies can potentially cause surrendering, depending on unit skill and some randomization.

In order to get some unit to surrender ( provided you have set bcombat_allow_surrender = true ) in config, the following should happen:

* his morale should be very low

* his leader's morale should be very low

* some enemy should be near, in sight and actively threatening (e.g. suppressing)

Lowly skilled units are more prone to surrender.

Surrendering is supposed to be a rare event.

---------- Post added at 07:57 ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 ----------

Really really love bCombat. Has anybody used bCombat in conjunction with MCC and its GAIA AI system? Which one seems to override the other? I really like spawning units in the zones within MCC but I'm thinking that the GAIA might override bCombat... When I just spawn units in the editor and give them waypoints then it seems like bCombat works beautifully--but all the work I have to put in to giving them waypoints etc is kinda a lot plus it isn't random like spawning units in an MCC zone with random waypoints. Would really love to find a way to keep bCombat and also have random patrolling enemies. Sorry if this is off topic.

bCombat does not fiddle with waypoints by design.

So it should not collide with any mission / scripts handling waypoints.

All the movements controlled by bCombat are supposed to be temporary local diversions (=within a limited radius).

Some terminal waypoint types are handled differently, but that's a different story.

---------- Post added at 08:47 ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 ----------

-OFF TOPIC MODE ON-

Out of curiosity, what are your favourite MANW projects (bCombat excluded) ?

I've voted nothing yet, but i think i'll support RHS / VTN at least. The point is ArmA3 severely lack content and they may fill the gap with (hopefully) quality contemporary stuff.

Also, which MANW SP scenarios you'd suggest? Save me some time :)

Ty

-OFF TOPIC MODE OFF-

-OFF TOPIC MODE ON-

Out of curiosity, what are your favourite MANW projects (bCombat excluded) ?

I've voted nothing yet, but i think i'll support RHS / VTN at least. The point is ArmA3 severely lack content and they may fill the gap with (hopefully) quality contemporary stuff.

Also, which MANW SP scenarios you'd suggest? Save me some time :)

Ty

-OFF TOPIC MODE OFF-

Of missions I'd suggest you take a look at Black Rain. It introduces the GTI (GetTactical Interface), which can be a real game changer.

Also check out Campaign M.E.R.C.S.

And Pilgrimage.

But there are quite a few missions, SP/MP and addons/modifications that are good and/or have a lot of potential. I don't really have a favorite... Beside bCombat.. ;)

I do play Whole Lotta Altis a lot.

Ok, fair enough.

The point is it's a matter of taste, so bcombat_stance_prone_min_distance variable will be introduced within next release, so minimum prone distance can be tweaked at will.

Excellent. Thank you very much.

Of missions I'd suggest you take a look at Black Rain. It introduces the GTI (GetTactical Interface), which can be a real game changer.

Also check out Campaign M.E.R.C.S.

And Pilgrimage.

But there are quite a few missions, SP/MP and addons/modifications that are good and/or have a lot of potential. I don't really have a favorite... Beside bCombat.. ;)

I do play Whole Lotta Altis a lot.

Thanks for the hints, stlassen.

Fabrizio

does something from bcombat make the AI,Who have waypoints to go straight to a destination where the are enemy,circle around them almost completly?

Strange behaviour,i mean its intelligent but not what i want for some particular scenes in a mission.

Is bcombat telling them flank in a very extreme manner?

This shouldn't be in the scope of bCombat. I think! Not sure.

Hmm, MCC mods "GAIA AI" sends friendly troops to flank an enemy. But you should know when you use MCC...

Anyway, its worth looking:

Look at 8:10 and you see the attack waypoints. Lovely fractal.

This shouldn't be in the scope of bCombat. I think! Not sure.

Hmm, MCC mods "GAIA AI" sends friendly troops to flank an enemy. But you should know when you use MCC...

Anyway, its worth looking:

Look at 8:10 and you see the attack waypoints. Lovely fractal.

I generated the WPs with mcc(no gaia) I cant reproduce it.Its happened twice now in testing.

Once with mcc,once with editor waypoints.Absolutley nothing special about placed units.Its quite annoying as it can basically destroy a tightly scripted scenario.

Fabrizio

does something from bcombat make the AI,Who have waypoints to go straight to a destination where the are enemy,circle around them almost completly?

Strange behaviour,i mean its intelligent but not what i want for some particular scenes in a mission.

Is bcombat telling them flank in a very extreme manner?

While bCombat allows for local diversion (50-150m. depending on group combatMode), it respects active waypoints route (it does not inject any dynamic waypoints).

So on default configuration the "feature" you see should be hardly related to bCombat, in my opinion.

Let me know your findings.

While bCombat allows for local diversion (50-150m. depending on group combatMode), it respects active waypoints route (it does not inject any dynamic waypoints).

So on default configuration the "feature" you see should be hardly related to bCombat, in my opinion.

Let me know your findings.

I will do.

I find most of the time somethings conflicting,its usually conflicting with mcc.

Also using drongos command tool but do not recall it altering AI behaviour that way.(Those two have a conflict iv spotted to do with HC group markers not displaying)

Will keep looking.

As usual, partial changelog for upcoming v0.17RC

bCombat v0.17 RC
---------------------

* New: variable "bcombat_min_player_group_skill": forcing arbirtrary minimum skill level (default: 0.5) for any player's group units.
* New: variable "bcombat_stance_prone_min_distance": minimum distance to nearest enemy for allowing prone stance after any suppression events.

* Tweaked: AI prioritizing special commands (healing, supporting, self-healing, get-in, get-out, hide, rearm, refuel) against low-priority move / fire commands.
* Tweaked: grenade throwing accuracy depends more on skill. Misses more likely for untrained soldiers.
* Tweaked: enhanced movement to cover ( low-level command moveTo used instead of doMove).
* Tweaked: rebalanced probability of returning fire vs. movement to cover. Unsuppressed / lightly suppressed units now more likely to return fire aggressively.

* Removed: broken / unused  variable "bcombat_skill_multiplier"

* Fixed: smoke throwing should not happen anymore at night (interim fix via sunOrMoon command)
* Fixed: minor bugfix

Some other issues are still being looked in, they can make into v.0.17, more to come.

Radio still in the works,it should cope with other features, such as investigate and chase enemy, without causing armageddon.

That's not yet the case at the moment.

RC internal debug / profiling / playtesting in progress.

Hopefully v0.17 will be the first packaged / Steam workshop version of the mod.

As usual, partial changelog for upcoming v0.17RC

bCombat v0.17 RC
---------------------

* New: variable "bcombat_min_player_group_skill": forcing arbirtrary minimum skill level (default: 0.5) for any player's group units.
* New: variable "bcombat_stance_prone_min_distance": minimum distance to nearest enemy for allowing prone stance after any suppression events.

* Tweaked: AI prioritizing special commands (healing, supporting, self-healing, get-in, get-out, hide, rearm, refuel) against low-priority move / fire commands.
* Tweaked: grenade throwing accuracy depends more on skill. Misses more likely for untrained soldiers.
* Tweaked: enhanced movement to cover ( low-level command moveTo used instead of doMove).
* Tweaked: rebalanced probability of returning fire vs. movement to cover. Unsuppressed / lightly suppressed units now more likely to return fire aggressively.

* Removed: broken / unused  variable "bcombat_skill_multiplier"

* Fixed: smoke throwing should not happen anymore at night (interim fix via sunOrMoon command)
* Fixed: minor bugfix

Some other issues are still being looked in, they can make into v.0.17, more to come.

Radio still in the works,it should cope with other features, such as investigate and chase enemy, without causing armageddon.

That's not yet the case at the moment.

RC internal debug / profiling / playtesting in progress.

Hopefully v0.17 will be the first packaged / Steam workshop version of the mod.

Fabrizio, I cannot wait for the release. I am really looking forward to it. Changes looks very good "on the paper" so far.

Any chance "bcombat_stance_prone_min_distance" will make it to the 0.17 release?

Thank you for your excellent work.

I went looking in the GitHub for another test version but alas last one is 2 months old (and obviously have that :) )

Can't wait for newest version as it sounds really promising.

Hi Fab, can see that you've gone for the MANW contest great !

Supported by me.

I know one thing that would REALLY REALLY earn some interest is taking another look at MP compatibility... I know that certain features work, but others maybe not. If we could get some clarity on that and perhaps an inclusion to your roadplan ? Lots of clans would seriously support this I think.

I still use it and love it, but we've taken it off the server because of risk it was causing some instabilities we were experiencing.. (having said that the game isn't exactly stable in vanilla either !)

Another point to mention is, please don't forget us PWS users... We will probably never use Steam for mods as it's not configurable enough for Clan/Unit use. If we could get a version packaged for PWS? That would be excellent

Anyway just wanted to say hi and GOOD LUCK for the contest, your work deserves recognition.

SJ

RPT report

Using bCombat v.0.17.

I've seen these creep in:

Error in expression <

if ( !(isPlayer _unit ) ) then 
{
if (_penalty > 5) then {
[ _unit, _enemy] ca>
 Error position: <_penalty > 5) then {
[ _unit, _enemy] ca>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _penalty
File @bcombat\lib\fsm.sqf, line 16

Error in expression <nc_fsm_trigger;
};
}
else
{
[ _unit, 1, _penalty, time + 5 + random 5, time + 10>
 Error position: <_penalty, time + 5 + random 5, time + 10>
File @bcombat\lib\suppression.sqf, line 83

The gunner of the tank I was driving, was shooting short bursts from the gun at an ifrit.

RPT report

Using bCombat v.0.17.

I've seen these creep in:

Error in expression <

if ( !(isPlayer _unit ) ) then 
{
if (_penalty > 5) then {
[ _unit, _enemy] ca>
 Error position: <_penalty > 5) then {
[ _unit, _enemy] ca>
File @bcombat\lib\fsm.sqf, line 16

Error in expression <nc_fsm_trigger;
};
}
else
{
[ _unit, 1, _penalty, time + 5 + random 5, time + 10>
 Error position: <_penalty, time + 5 + random 5, time + 10>
File @bcombat\lib\suppression.sqf, line 83

The gunner of the tank I was driving, was shooting short bursts from the gun at an ifrit.

Thanks for reporting.

I suppose this happened episodically, not consistently, right?

It happens when some bCombat features are requested for a non-yet initialized unit.

I'm aware of the issue. That's edge situations i'm being investigate since a couple weeks.

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

Supported by me.

I know one thing that would REALLY REALLY earn some interest is taking another look at MP compatibility... I know that certain features work, but others maybe not. If we could get some clarity on that and perhaps an inclusion to your roadplan ? Lots of clans would seriously support this I think.

I still use it and love it, but we've taken it off the server because of risk it was causing some instabilities we were experiencing.. (having said that the game isn't exactly stable in vanilla either !)

Another point to mention is, please don't forget us PWS users... We will probably never use Steam for mods as it's not configurable enough for Clan/Unit use. If we could get a version packaged for PWS? That would be excellent

Anyway just wanted to say hi and GOOD LUCK for the contest, your work deserves recognition.

SJ

Ty serjames.

I hope bCombat was not the culprit of your MP issues, if that's the case please let me know.

So far 've got no reports of game-breaking issues.

Regarding MP aspects of server-only bCombat, i think that as long as AI is local to server you will experience a few cosmetic problems, but nothing functionally broken.

On the other side, since my experience with MP coding is very basic, i doubt i would be able to efficiently solve the locality issues connected with running bCombat on both clients / server.

(Not sure whether that would be needed though).

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:33 ----------

I went looking in the GitHub for another test version but alas last one is 2 months old (and obviously have that :) )

Can't wait for newest version as it sounds really promising.

Yes, sorry for the dated files.

I announced the candidate changelog just to inform everybody about the upcoming features, so you may get at least a clue of what's tested and coming.

v0.17 is not groundbreaking really, but it should fill some existing gaps, in order to be the most complete release to date.

---

Today i witnessed some cases of faster self-healing, as well as a case of a medic crawling a few hundreds meters to reach and heal a wounded comrade.

He fell dead without accomplishing his missions, a few steps far from his comrade ...

That's barely noticeable changes in the heat of a fight, you wouldn't noticed this without closesly monitoring the action.

That said i consider features like this a worth addition.

---

Testing showed a few persisting issues, such as some units appearantly getting "stuck" during a fight.

This needs some more investigation, it should be checked wheter that's bCombat fault, or a vanilla problem.

---------- Post added at 13:43 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

I'm preparing a traditional package, as well as a Steam-only package (=raw pbo).

Edited by fabrizio_T

Thanks for reporting.

I suppose this happened episodically, not consistently, right?

It happens when some bCombat features are requested for a non-yet initialized unit.

I'm aware of the issue. That's edge situations i'm being investigate since a couple weeks.

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

Yeah, it is episodically, as you say. :) Very specific case I would gather.

I was the driver of a tank. I saw an AI controlled enemy ifrit driving around and targeted it (command 2-2). Both the commander and gunner was shooting at it. The commander long bursts, while the gunner in short bursts using the gun, not the cannon.

Fabrizio, I cannot wait for the release. I am really looking forward to it. Changes looks very good "on the paper" so far.

Any chance "bcombat_stance_prone_min_distance" will make it to the 0.17 release?

Thank you for your excellent work.

"bcombat_stance_prone_min_distance" is already in the (tested) code for v0.17RC.

Just a heads-up: please consider that this setting alone will hopefully make AI avoid going prone under some distance, but since you can't actually force units to go fast in combat mode, its effect on survivability will be limited.

You'll still see units move to cover in slomo in some cases, albeit crouching instead of prone.

A very special case is AI units with wounded legs: for same reason they still can move around crouching at very low speed, whereas in ArmA2 they were just forced to crawl.

Not sure ArmA2 solution was better, sure ArmA3 behaviour looks weird: these wounded units move so slowly and carelessly they just look oblivious of any danger.

Crawling + limping in crouched / standing stance would be better, in my opinion.