Sign in to follow this  
AlexVestin

Soldier Animations (Stances & pacing) (Improvements, Low-Ready etc.) (100% doable)

Long story short:

This would be entirely expanded on the already working method. No hokus-pokus at all.

ArmA3 currently have 4 awareness stances in total. ("It has?" -I'll explain right below.)

2 for weapons lowered, 2 for weapons raised.

Each stance can have their own movement speed/pacing.

The only movements currently that utilizes all of the 4 different awareness-stances

are jogging (and crouch-running with a rifle), as seen below.

Current animations and stances:

g4dt.jpg

Notes:

This above is exactly what it looks like in-game now. The animations for JOGGING with a rifle makes use of all the different pacings and stances, each with its own animation and speed. Now on the other hand when we look at IDLE and WALKING. Obvious things to point out is that there are 2 paces missing for both IDLE and WALKING. The two paces in the middle of WALKING and the first and third for IDLE. It can create some odd results that are only fixable by making these animation-cycles complete.

Currently if a character is standing still with a rifle, he will either be holding his rifle lowered, or have his rifle shouldered and ready to fire. There's no way of knowing what stance you're in if you're standing still or walking and enables combat-pace. There's nothing happening visually to represent what the button pressed just did. A hud indicator might help, but that will not work as the only solution. End of that discussion.

These missing animations are what is causing people to always point rifles at eachothers faces. It prevents poeple from having their rifle up in a ready and safe position when there's no targets to fire at. It limits all players to only one walking animation. It also makes it hard to see if AI actually have spotted you and are aiming at you, or if they're just alerted.

What I am suggesting:

dhvm.jpg

Please compare the two pictures side by side to really see the difference.

Notes:

Here all paces have their own animation, speed and state of awareness. The first thing to note is the new default stances. They would as before be the two middle ones (second frame and third frame). Difference is that you'd be able to tell exactly what stance you're in. Whether you're standing still, walking or running. This allows people to be ready with their rifle without pointing it in a fellow players face. The standard position for someone who just spawned will no longer be with his rifle shouldered and ready to fire. He will have his rifle at his shoulder, but with no risk of friendly fire. It might also be a set of very useful animations when it comes to cqb, since the rifle would have a very good lowered position available if needed.

The new default stance does have the soldiers rifle slightly lowered, but one very important thing to note is that there is still no extra delay in bringing up the rifle-sights to your eyes. So it will not cause any un-wanted delays compared to the current animations. It already works exactly like this when jogging, and there is no delay from jogging in low-ready to being sighted compared to jogging with your rifle all the way up.

Not all of the animations displayed here are in the game. Some parts are edited together from other already existing animations to create a stance that would fit accordingly to it's previous stance etc.

The first frame in IDLE is the legs from the second frame combined with the upper body of the first frame in WALKING.

The third frame in IDLE is the legs from the fourth frame combined with the upper body from the third frame in JOGGING.

The second frame in WALKING are the un-used walking animation (V2).

The third frame in WALKING are a mix of the un-used walking animation (V3) and the upper body from the third frame in JOGGING.

This is as noted only for rifles. Same can in theory be done for all pistol and launcher animations.

Good & Bad:

(This list is made by a life-time Ofp/ArmA player.)

Positive changes:

1. Implementing it requires no new mechanics. (I can't stress this enough.)
  2. Players will always know what stances themself and AI are in.
  3. New default stances adds no extra delay when aiming.
  4. It's all user-toggle as before. Nothing new is forced on players.
  5. Players will be visually represented when either aiming or actively scanning for targets.
  6. No extra key-bindings.
  7. Should be completely AI friendly.
  8. It will greatly improve characters lifelikeness with the added variety.
  9. No more pointing rifles at allies.
  10. 10% more screenspace available when not in active-combat.
  11. The new default stance (third frame) is a better alternative to having your weapons down compared to the current way (second frame).

Negative changes:

• Players might wonder why their weapon is brought down so low. (Short term.prob)
  • Players might not understand that their weapon can be fired. (Short term.prob)
  • The "Ctrl-stance-adjustment" might need some extra animations too. (?)
  • (I need help with this part of the list.)
Here's a ticket related to this thread:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16827

Here's a ticket related to crouch-running animations being wrong:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16838

Edited by AlexVestin

BI adds in a lot of the animations that they may not use so that modders and scripts can make use of them. That is why there are animations that are unused that are in the game.

It would be nice to have the additional animations by default though and likely more realistic.

Voted up; If this happens immersion would be alot better since I honestly don't believe you'd see someone walking like the current animation unless they were extremely cocky.

BI adds in a lot of the animations that they may not use so that modders and scripts can make use of them. That is why there are animations that are unused that are in the game.

It would be nice to have the additional animations by default though and likely more realistic.

all of the animations are used in game, many only for cutscenes.

the only unused animation is surrender or test animations, but might be used in campaign later on or when surrender module is turned on.

What are you even talking about? This statement is absurd and completely unfounded.

What are you even talking about? This statement is absurd and completely unfounded.

The reason why the animations are in the game files. A BI developer said that a while back. They leave in unused animations for mods and scripts. Nothing wrong with that.

Nice. Id peronallly also like to see the jog slowed down. especially the crouched variants of the job which are mad fast. Olympic speed while bending knees ans carrying 30kg of kit.

In lower FPS, i have the feeling that some of the animation when we go around (especially crouched run) looks really wrong and not good. Probably just me though.

I updated the first post.

Everything should be much clearer now. Please take a look at the pretty pictures :)

I'm hoping BI tweaks the game to include these. It looks much better.

So, basically, you want combat pace to toggle in and out of low ready, right?

I mean, I guess that would be okay? It seems like a pretty minor, mostly visual tweak. I've never felt like the gun was taking up too much screen real estate, honestly. It certainly wouldn't change the way I play the game or anything.

I would love to actually see FINISHED animations before working further on them.

Its absolutely awful, non finished and unprofessional that your feet dont move at all when you are in one of the new stances. Instaed your whole body hoveres left and right.

On top of that your soldier moves his whole body ALLWAYS when aiming left and right. Instead he should first move his upper body and then begin to turn the whole body. (feedbacktracker)

The whole animation system is not finished yet! And I am sick of this half finished stuff we get everywhere.

Even the bolt action snipers:

When you shoot the bolt moves back and forth magically as if it was an automatic mechanism. Even RO2 3 years ago managed to implement proper reload animations for this!

But wait! Thats not all! In fact when the soldier reloads the rifle he pushes the bolt back before emptying the magazine. So there even is an animation for that in the game! But its just not implemented!

I am tired of this half finished cra*

On top of that:

The feedback tracker is a farce in its self. Its been nearly a year now since the introduction and BARELY NONE of the demanded features that are even marked as assigned are beeing worked on!

I would love to actually see FINISHED animations before working further on them.

This would certainly be one step in the right direction imo.

I wont go into what their priorities could be, but now atleast this very appropriate suggestion/thread/fix is layed out there.

So, basically, you want combat pace to toggle in and out of low ready, right? I mean, I guess that would be okay? It seems like a pretty minor, mostly visual tweak. I've never felt like the gun was taking up too much screen real estate, honestly.

Yes. The result will be exactly like how the jogging already works. The extra screenspace is just a silly bonus. There's many many more advantages than just clearing your screen some space. I made a list on the first page too, with some of the positive results I could think of.

It certainly wouldn't change the way I play the game or anything.

One of the beauties of this. It alters no already existing game-play mechanic.

Edited by AlexVestin

All these animations with different controls needs to go. There should only be two modifiers up and down with context sensitive transitions.

It also pretty ridiculous that you are not allowed to mod any game logic at all. If one takes up the challange to remodel/rewrite the animation system it needs to be done totally in SQF.

Same goes for controls, and actions.

All these animations with different controls needs to go. There should only be two modifiers up and down with context sensitive transitions

All of the new movement stuff is a huge and well needed improvement over A2 anyways.

Context sensitive stance adjustment really belongs to another thread, but I can't say it's a bad idea. Only way I'd see it working is by altering your characters stance in height by pressing (Ctrl + Using scrollwheel) and then slowly blend the animations inbetween. But that's only in theory, and it'd take quite some changing around on stuff to get it working and implementing it.

While on the subject of changing around stuff.

Something that does not take quite some changing around on to get working is my suggestion in the first post of this thread ;)

Edited by AlexVestin

All these animations with different controls needs to go. There should only be two modifiers up and down with context sensitive transitions.

It also pretty ridiculous that you are not allowed to mod any game logic at all. If one takes up the challange to remodel/rewrite the animation system it needs to be done totally in SQF.

Same goes for controls, and actions.

No. Movement in Arma 3 is leaps and bounds above that in Arma 2. Although, for the stances, I'd rather have had something like Medal of Honor Airborne/2010/Warfighter, where you hold a key and move your mouse up, down, left or right, releasing to return to your base stance, making those stance changes useful in their proper place, cover. But there's nothing wrong with the new movement system really. I'd say that the casual, lowered weapon stance should be changed to low ready for your rifles. The current low stance should be kept for your machine guns and your sniper rifles.

Personally I’m more about functional gameplay rather than full blown immersion.

Because of this I don’t really care to see new stances added however I do think the current stances should be fixed.

“LOW READY†should be the default “Tactical Pace†position since the actual “READY†stance is already achieved when you click or hold Right Mouse button. (Depending on your settings.)

What I mean by this is when you’re moving to contact (Coming into an immediate threat area.) your weapons should always be up at the “LOW READYâ€. (Weapon up in shoulder or short stocked if needed, pointed towards enemy, line of sight scanning directly over the top of the scope. Sight alignment and sight picture are gained when a target appears and the weapon is fired.)

Please note that this is the newer teaching as the old teaching (manual) defines the Ready position as what I just described above. If I remember correctly, low ready was introduced as a way to distinguish between the two positions due to the implementation of low magnification combat optics.

Currently in the game, when in Tactical Pace, it looks like your holding your face against the side of your weapon instead of looking over the top of your scope. Because of this your scope blocks a good portion of your vision.

I have my settings set so that my view always zooms in when I use my reflex scope. I know there is a way to walk, zoomed out and looking down the reflex sight but I think you have to hold the scope button….

If I could have anything stance related changed it would be the view for tactical pace FIRST.

When you shoot the bolt moves back and forth magically as if it was an automatic mechanism. Even RO2 3 years ago managed to implement proper reload animations for this!

Basically every shooter in the last decade has done this, so I'm not sure why you are singling out RO2 (especially since RO1 also had rebolting animations).

Animations have never been a strong point in the series. It took until this game before your hands turned with the wheel. I can only imagine it is because they are using third person mocap data for reloading animations (Yes, I know that there aren't separate first- and third-person animations).

Personally I’m more about functional gameplay rather than full blown immersion.

Because of this I don’t really care to see new stances added however I do think the current stances should be fixed.

“LOW READY†should be the default “Tactical Pace†position since the actual “READY†stance is already achieved when you click or hold Right Mouse button. (Depending on your settings.)

What I mean by this is when you’re moving to contact (Coming into an immediate threat area.) your weapons should always be up at the “LOW READYâ€. (Weapon up in shoulder or short stocked if needed, pointed towards enemy, line of sight scanning directly over the top of the scope. Sight alignment and sight picture are gained when a target appears and the weapon is fired.)

This is great and all, but if then I'll shoot my gun into the ground if I don't sight in before shooting. I don't always want to aim down the sights before I fire. This is one of those concessions that have to be made in the name of gameplay.

Edited by roshnak

This is great and all, but if then I'll shoot my gun into the ground if I don't sight in before shooting. I don't always want to aim down the sights before I fire. This is one of those concessions that have to be made in the name of gameplay.

Nope I think you're misunderstanding, in the "LOW READY" you're pointing your weapon at the enemy but looking over the sights... (Consider it like Tactical pace right now except looking over the top of the weapon instead of beside it. Only the view on your screen would change.)

Tactical Carry: (This is one handed weapon carry already in the game.) The weapon is pointed downward and slung across the front of the body. The soldier keeps one hand on the pistol grip and the other hand is allowed to swing freely, scratch his balls, and pick his nose as he pleases.

Alert Carry: (This would stay the same in game as the default position that you start out in.) Your weapon is more or less pointed at the enemy but as you move it kind of dips down. You move faster but you can't shoot while side stepping. It's basically hipfire.

Low Ready: (This would be acheived by hitting the Tactical Pace button.) Your weapon is up, it does not dip down when you move. Movement is slightly slower but you can move in any direction and fire. It's also slightly more accurate than firing from the Alert because the weapon is kept high in the shoulder. (It would be the exact same function as what's in the game now except a good chunk of your screen wouldn't be taken up by your scope and rifle sitting next to your face.)

READY: (This would be achieved by using your right mouse button and looking down the sights.) It is obviously the most accurate form but the obvious hinderances already in the game would still apply.

That's not the low ready depicted in the OP's screenshots.

If you're reffering to the third frame in my pics, then it'd be atleast an attemp of it. You can correct me on it or call it whatever really. It is still a needed part of the animations to make the animation cycles complete. I am no expert when it comes to field-manuals or actual stances and I will have to leave it up to the ones who know. I just provided a solution that I know would work going by all of my tests with the current animations and jogging paces, what is already available, and what is possible of doing within the engine limits.

The default stance, as of now, have their weapons up to their shoulders, looking like they are using their sights.

There's lots of smaller things going wrong because of the missing stances. I'll just point out a few of them below in detail:

Here's why it makes AI look and behave weirder than needed:

AI, when hearing an enemy and going into alerted/aware mode will instantly bring their rifles up all the way to their eyes doing 180 degree turns fully sighted untill they find you.

Here's why it makes several players on a small area look/behave weird:

Everyone will either be looking very relaxed or like they've just seen a potential target, seconds from firing on it. Also ups the risk of friendly fire a lot.

Here's why it greatly limits your way of choosing the best pacing for the situation:

There's no indication or way of remebering what pace or speed you'll be moving in the next time you press WASD if you've stood still for quite some time. Possibly making you press extra keys to try and get it right.

I can't find any other solution than what I posted in the first post. Atleast not within very reasonable limits. Missing animations for the different stances and paces plays one big part of the problem. Jogging works just like intended, but not when standing idle or walking.

Edited by AlexVestin

I understand what you’re saying and like I said before… low ready should be changed. However I still see it as a real estate on screen problem more than an outside animation problem. (It should look like you’re looking over your RCO rather than beside it.)

What you suggested would be nice as well but not completely necessary, here’s why…

AI, when hearing an enemy and going into alerted/aware mode will instantly bring their rifles up all the way to their eyes doing 180 degree turns fully sighted untill they find you.

This isn’t necessarily wrong, especially if you’re in a wide open area or an area with long streets and alleys.

If gunfire goes off right next to you (i.g. Rounds snapping over your head) Then yes you might duck down and go into an Alert / Low Ready Carry as you sprint for cover… But if gunfire erupts a moderate distance away (Some place where you don’t immediately see the shooter and rounds are not snapping over your head.) then you would begin scanning as you make your way to suitable cover.

If the soldiers/AI have RCOs or some sort of magnified optic on their weapon, then looking down the sight to scan the terrain is a good idea. (Real life example: Afghanistan - We wouldn’t be able to locate and positively ID the enemy half as effectively as we do without Acogs.)

Everyone will either be looking very relaxed or like they've just seen a potential target, seconds from firing on it. Also ups the risk of friendly fire a lot.

While I agree that this can be a pain especially when playing with AI, it still comes down to IFF. Identify Friend or Foe.

As far as looking relaxed goes I suppose I agree that they should be using the New tactical or Alert carry (Pictured) when no threat is near, but that shoots back up to the first answer if they're being engaged.

Also in the picture I added please note the part about how Low Ready and Ready are practically the same thing and in combat they should and often do become the same. This also cycles back around to cover, concealment, trigger control and IFF.

Here's why it greatly limits your way of choosing the best pacing for the situation:

There's no indication or way of remebering what pace or speed you'll be moving in the next time you press WASD if you've stood still for quite some time. Possibly making you press extra keys to try and get it right.

Now this I might agree on. Although I don’t find it too difficult to distinguish, I think it would still be nice if the Stance Indicator remained on screen and also included a T for Tactical Pace and maybe even an A for full auto, S for semi, or B for burst since I know someone who keeps forgetting to set their weapon. Haha (Indicator should be small though.)

Ok so here is yet another sweet picture I drew to display the different stances as well as explanations. I also included an alternate stance that is commonly used though it doesn’t really have a spot in any military manual as far as I know.

s4bf5z.png

1. NEW TACTICAL CARRY – I’m calling it new because most of the military manuals still just refer to the old 2 point web sling (Which requires the rifle to be slung on the shoulder.) This method is achieved by the use of a 3 point or one point sling and allows easy movement into other positions as well as quick transitions to pistols.

The weapon is simply allowed to hang across the front of the body and the user keeps one hand (Firing hand) on the pistol grip to maintain positive control of his weapon at all times. The buttstock is not in the shoulder pocket but is held close to the shoulder due to the characteristics of the sling.

The definitions for situational use of the NEW and OLD Tactical Carry are still the same. - Tactical Carry is used when NO IMMEDIATE THREAT IS PRESENT.

(This is how soldiers should stand when they are relaxed and no knowledge of enemy presence is near. They should even jog and maybe even sprint like that as long as they’re not running from gunfire… Maybe they’re hurrying to load up on a truck and go do a training event or something…or maybe some salty Lance Corporal is yelling at a bunch of boots. Haha)

2. OLD TACTICAL CARRY - This is the one documented in a lot of the military manuals. (USMC for me) This carry was used with rifles that had a 2 point sling so in that sense it’s out of date.

However, this position is still used when employing the rifle bayonet and there for it cannot be counted out completely.

(Notice that I placed it second in the lineup instead of first because it still has a significant use and is very similar to the ALTERNATE CARRY pictured below.)

3. ALERT CARRY - The Alert Carry is used when enemy contact is LIKELY. Engagement of the enemy is faster from the Alert than from the Tactical Carry.

The weapon is placed in the pocket of the shoulder (Although it doesn’t always have to be.) and the barrel is pointed down at about 45 degrees. (This is to help avoid serious injuries thanks to negligent discharges and Jittery/near sighted privates.)

This is also known as Patrol carry or Patrol ready. Your head is up, both eyes and ears are open and you’re scanning for threats. The ditty is – Alert to the dirt.

(This is the position a soldier/AI should use when entering/ patrolling through enemy territory, distant gunfire can be heard but not seen due to obstacles and what not…or when sprinting. (Modified so he pulls the weapon more across his body to keep from banging it on his knees.)

4. LOW READY – (Please note that for instructional purposes only, I drew the weapon slanting down. This is to show the soldier’s/AI’s line of sight looking just over the top of his optics. Remember what I said earlier about Low ready and Ready becoming the same thing in combat, I’ll explain when I get to ready position a bit more.)

The Low Ready position is employed when CONTACT WITH THE ENEMY IS IMMINENT. The weapon is up with the buttstock high and firm in the shoulder pocket. The barrel is pointed as accurately as possible at the suspected enemy position but lowered (if need be) just enough to allow the soldier/AI to look over his optic and scan for targets with both eyes open. Sight alignment and sight picture are achieved as a target appears and the shot is fired. It’s the most common and fastest position for engaging multiple threats.

Keep in mind that a lot of the older manuals do not call this low ready…it’s simply called ready. The reason why is because they do not account for the use of optics.

Another thing to consider is that slight downward slant of the muzzle… It’s been said that this is to also help with the possibility of shooting friendlies in a vital area. While in training this is true but in combat…not quite as much. (See Ready position) It’s more about the Optics on top of the weapon limiting the soldier/Marine’s view.

(This should be the position that is taken when in Tactical Pace…kind of like it is now. The weapon stays up but when you hold shift to sprint then it dips down. Only when sprinting, not when moving to contact (different from the Non tactical pace jogging.)

5. HIGH READY – This is an older, less common and more outdated position. I won’t get too far into it but it does need to be mentioned. The situation for using it remains the same as low ready although it’s not as fast. It good for not sweeping your muzzle across the backs of your buddies heads in close quarters, for wading through high water, or pushing through thick brush.

6. READY – (Money maker) The enemy or location of the enemy is known and visible, CONTACT AND ENGAGEMENT IS IMMINENT. The weapon is high in the shoulder; the Marine/Soldier/AI is aimed in, looking through the sight with both eyes open if possible. If the enemy is behind cover and assuming the Marine/Soldier/AI has found a reasonable spot to aim in, wait and engage….(As soon as the enemy sticks his head out, he’s dead.)

As I stated before, this ready definition does not correlate to the old manuals. In addition there are lots of people who will be getting stuck on the difference between the READY and Low Ready positions because of the slight muzzle slant of low ready.

However as I tried to demonstrate in my picture, notice how the man’s head is dipped down tucking his chin and looking through the sight. The rifle is completely level as if pointing at a close range target…. It would be extremely easy for him to point his weapon, look through the sight, engage, and simply lift his head to scan rather than let his muzzle droop.

This is why I say that LOW READY AND READY become the same thing in REAL combat. You see a lot of movies with SWAT teams keeping their guns pointing down as they go into a house but that’s Hollywood. YOU KEEP YOUR MUZZLE POINTED AT THE TARGET or possible area where a target could be. People might think that a tiny bit of movement isn’t going to affect your aim but when loud things start going bang or you’re on a roof scanning for where that last enemy ran to, it can make all the difference of popping the insurgent peeking out of a window before he has a chance to get you.

Alternate Carry: Chicken Wing – As I said you won’t find this in any of the older military manuals…might be in the most recent ones though…

This position bears striking resemblance to both the OLD Tactical Carry and the Alert. It’s most commonly used to maintain positive control of the weapon when reloading either a magazine or M203 grenade launcher.

It’s also an easy way to carry your weapon when fatigued while still allowing you to point your muzzle towards the enemy.

Edited by Squirrel0311

This isn’t necessarily wrong, especially if you’re in a wide open area or an area with long streets and alleys.

If gunfire goes off right next to you (i.g. Rounds snapping over your head) Then yes you might duck down and go into an Alert / Low Ready Carry as you sprint for cover… But if gunfire erupts a moderate distance away (Some place where you don’t immediately see the shooter and rounds are not snapping over your head.) then you would begin scanning as you make your way to suitable cover.

If the soldiers/AI have RCOs or some sort of magnified optic on their weapon, then looking down the sight to scan the terrain is a good idea. (Real life example: Afghanistan - We wouldn’t be able to locate and positively ID the enemy half as effectively as we do without Acogs.)

Just to note about that AI behaviour. I won't say I disagree with you. The reason I brought up that point with the AI was because of them always bringing their rifles all the way up; since they have only 1 animation for their 2 possible modes. Wich, if fixed, could make a difference in peoples choices of engaging or going for cover that are either observing someone getting shot or being the person shooting back.

While I agree that this can be a pain especially when playing with AI, it still comes down to IFF. Identify Friend or Foe.

As far as looking relaxed goes I suppose I agree that they should be using the New tactical or Alert carry (Pictured) when no threat is near, but that shoots back up to the first answer if they're being engaged.

Also in the picture I added please note the part about how Low Ready and Ready are practically the same thing and in combat they should and often do become the same. This also cycles back around to cover, concealment, trigger control and IFF.

About the friendly fire. I am really not hinting at how hard it is to seperate friends from foes. That is someting everybody learns over time. The issue is about everyone having their rifles all the way up with their fingers on their triggers. Lots of accidental kills because of it. It's easily prevented, but the current animations make it unconvenient. Pressing CtrlX2 is far from always a good solution. It often locks your character in place and it takes by far much longer to go from that into firing your rifle if needed.

Now this I might agree on. Although I don’t find it too difficult to distinguish, I think it would still be nice if the Stance Indicator remained on screen and also included a T for Tactical Pace and maybe even an A for full auto, S for semi, or B for burst since I know someone who keeps forgetting to set their weapon. Haha (Indicator should be small though.)

Stance indicator will absolutely not do.

Not bashing at you; just pointing it out for anyone reading. It's a bad quick-fix for something that really needs completed animation cycles. It also leaves all of the other issues related to these animation stances un-attended.

Hud indicator will not fix anything. Only be extra work in the long run. I'd say get some people to complete the movement animations cycles once and for all and be done with that part. Movement is something every player have to figure their ways around. Current movement surely is improved from A2, but it is also un-completed and causes restrictions. It causes restrictions were there should be none if only the movement animation cycles were completed for IDLE and WALKING. That is, the four paces and stances for both IDLE and WALKING.

There's no way of knowing what your character is going to do once you press WASD if you forget that you actually did toggle combat-pace; or not. One could say "Well, memorize it!", but that's not how it works. It's an issue that only can happen in a game. IRL, no one would accidentally start running much faster than what was actually intended if you forgot what you did the last time you ran.

The animations really needs to be there for all of the different toggled stances and paces to flow together. The animations I suggested in the first post would without doubt make it all flow together much better. The exact names/details of the suggested stances are arguable.

Love it :) You seem to know what you're talking about atleast.

How would this all be the posssibly best adjusted to a restriction of 2 more relaxed stances and 2 more agressive stances? That is the limitation we have to work with to provide a solution within reasonable bounds, thus the way I have it in my first post. The suggestion in the first post is the only way I can see it happening to solve the most issues for the least amount of work needed.

Edited by AlexVestin