Ranwer135

EA-6B Prowler (Work In Progress)

Hello everyone. I have decided to create my very first addon for Arma 3!

Ladies And Gents (and modders), I'd like to present... EA-6B Prowler

01.jpg

Description

The Northrop Grumman (formerly Grumman) EA-6B Prowler is a twin-engine, mid-wing electronic warfare aircraft derived from the basic A-6 Intruder airframe. The EA-6B has been in service with the U.S. Armed Forces from 1971 through the present, during which it has carried out numerous missions for jamming enemy radar systems, and in gathering radio intelligence on those and other enemy air defense systems. In addition, the EA-6B is capable of carrying and firing anti-radiation missiles (ARM), such as the HARM missile. The aircrew of the EA-6B consists of one pilot and three Electronic Countermeasures Officers, though it is not uncommon for only 2 ECMOs to be used on missions.

General characteristics

Performance

Armament

It also has a Radar Jammer at the back of the jet's tail!

Anyway, I hope to create this addon, but I'm not sure when my addon will be released. (Though ive just started on the project just now)

You may post replies (after all, its a work in progress thread)

But, I do know that others are working on a similar project like this for arma 2, so if theres a grudge about the project, im happy to change the type of plane (example, some other jet)

Kind Regards,

Ranwer

UPDATE:

Pic of the WIP model has arrived!

2kh8nm.png

Edited by Ranwer
Photo of WIP model has arrived!

... when can we expect any screenshots of this WIP, even in the 3D modeling program and not yet the game?

EDIT: As importantly, beyond the 3D model of the Prowler, what do you intend as far as in-game representing of the Prowler's capabilities?

Edited by Chortles

It would be really nice if this could actually function close to the real life counterpart. Without a real electronic warfare mechanism in Arma 3, sadly the Prowler can't be as cool as it should be.

Very nice choice! Good luck on this project and looking forward to see any progress!

It would be really nice if this could actually function close to the real life counterpart. Without a real electronic warfare mechanism in Arma 3, sadly the Prowler can't be as cool as it should be.
More like "without a real electronic warfare mechanism in Arma 3, sadly" there isn't much POINT to a Prowler except carrying and launching four AGM-88 HARMs. :( Hence my interest in what Ranwer's planning besides the 3D model.

Hello everyone.

@Chortles: Yes, there will be upcoming WIP pics of it. But I have just started on the project, so you can expect some pics between weekends or the holidays. ;)

EDIT: I'll list out the features of what it will have below.

Electronic Warfare (EW):

Just had an Idea, I can create an addaction for the plane to turn the EW on and off. Also, with the Warfare, I put a trigger that follows the plane in a 500x500 radius, plus the jamming will have a random burst of the static splashscreen (the one used at the end of a showcase). :D

So it is possible for jamming. :o

So, with the project, right now im planing all the sides and dimensions before racing into it (as well as getting the proper tools ready for conversion as well as moddeling)

I also had a few backup plans in case if someone wanted to port their plane in arma 3 (but so far no one has created the plane for arma 2, so ill mose well claim it).

FEATURES FOR THE PLANE:

--JAMMING

--2 seater or 4 seater versions

--Depending on how well the model goes, it might look really detailed (so far im starting on it)

________________________________________________________________________________

Cheers everyone!

Ranwer

EDIT: Also the plane will be for the sides: OPFOR and BLUFOR ;)

---------- Post added at 06:52 ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 ----------

Here is a few vids (or previews) of the bird. This is not the actualy model I'm working on, but heres what it can do.

---------- Post added at 07:52 ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 ----------

UPDATE:

Possible plans for EA-6B Prowler. Even though its already an AWACS jet, I can make it stronger :D

I dunno, but the things im doing to make the model are these steps:

1.Choose what vehicle or jet you want to do.

2.Get all the information like width, length etc.

3.For any edits of the aircraft, I use paint.

4. I start 3DS MAX.

5.Create the model (may take time).

6.Get the textures set up for the aircraft.

7.Set up all the scripts like landing gear, EW etc.

8.test it to see if it works.

9.RELEASE TIME!

----------------------------------------------

os728w.jpg

Edited by Ranwer

Nice. You might need to contact with Franze which, I believe, is an author of Su22M4 addon for A2. Beside the fact that the aircraft is at early alpha status, it has a script of Jamming effects and what's more it has a possibility to scan and mark sources of radar radiation. I do not know whether the scripts work since there is no such commands under mouse scroll to switch jamming/scanning on/off.

You can start with you own one in which the system should select those weapon systems which are AA/SAM and switch their "AI AutoTarget" function on and off in fast succession (see http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/disableAI). That's for SP, in MP it could be more difficult and it is way beyond my scripting skills.

Edited by NightIntruder

Cool. Thats a great Idea NightIntruder. I'll take a look at his addon though (I've never played his plane so ill give it a try). But, yeah its a great idea bud.

Will you try to make the plane realistic and true to the real life version?

Ranwer:

It should be. But the EW will be a bit unrealistic because arma 3 doesnt have any jamming effects (except the splashscreen)

Chortles:

My view is "hard to do when there's damn near nothing else for it to be realistic against".........

EDIT: I'll try to perfect the bird, but the posts above tell about whats gonna happen with the project. ;)

You don't need any jamming sfx, just a script that disables the ability for units in a given area to lock on to you or other aircraft. I would recommend more than a 500m radius though. More like 2500m...

I'd suggest just focusing on the model for now, since that's what you can best implement without need of outside help. :D Heck, people have been trying to script in electronic warfare simulation for this series as far back as Operation Flashpoint. I'll note though that Franze's mod does not seem to simulate jamming (except possibly incoming missiles perhaps and even then I'm sure mission scripting is involved)... and as for radar, there are some people who have done standalone radar/sonar mods for Arma and Arma 2.

It'd be interesting to see what you can do with the cockpit interior, not least because it's a whopping four-seater with both front-and-back and side-by-side seats just like the SDV (though of course not with the SDV interior!) and looking like this from the left side.

Jesus, I need this in my life. Excellent to see you taking the initiative, Ran! You have my best wishes that you see this project's completion. With that in mind, I think I'd have to Echo Chortles sentiment: Build the plane, and once you have it completed, let others help and lend there expertise in refining the functionality aspect of this great piece of air power. For instance, I saw another thread where a modder was making a ship, and a fellow modder offered up his Radar and Weapons system to help. Same thing here.

Remember: if you build it, they will come... ;)

Maybe you can get together with LoyalGuard, he is creating AEG, which maybe could work with this. Since he is putting everything on a electrical grid, maybe when you could make it so this aircraft could shutdown all the lights in the area.

Is there any chance you could start with A2 version than migrate it into A3 later? There is much more expertise around regarding modding in A2 then A3, I belive, so your start could be easier. That's the first thing. The second thing is that guys from UNSUNG are on their great way to make A-6E Intruder which is not so different (in terms of pilot's cockpit) and cooperating with them could bear fruits for both sides.

Sounds like he's interested in forging his own path first, which I very much support (after what's happened this year I really, really for Ranwer's sake want him to not be dependent on anyone else permissions-wise). Heck, if he manages to get the model completed then he can have a working -- flying, launchable/recoverable, AGM-firing aircraft -- then get to work adding on "what makes it a Prowler". ;)

P.S. Noble Gas, what thread was that?

Hello everyone. The model is in work, but I'm having a few probs with my 3ds Max Program, so right now I'm using Blender while I get an activation key for 3ds Max from Autodesk. But, the model Is in progress, Hopefully a photo of the project might come in soon (I'm starting with the plane's nose).

Cheers everyone!

Ranwer

Please don't add the E-2C radar on the EA-6B

he's making what he wants to, and then sharing it with you.

Hey guys ;)

I finally got my modelling sorted now, so right now im using gmax with a p3d converter. Also, a pic of the model will come really soon!

Hopefully the pic will be posted today, so get ready!

:459:

Ranwer

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 ----------

Here is the pic ;)

Right now I'm slowly working from the nose to the tail, so here is the nose part:

2kh8nm.png

Yeah, I know it looks a bit weird, (all the unround stuff), but its getting there (soon I'll make those parts alot smoother.

Cheers!

Ranwer

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

Ok, when I've finished the model, Im gonna need some guys to help finish the rest of the addon. This includes:

--Animation (Canopy and Landing Gear)

--Sounds (depending on the model, if it sounds better with the Default BI sound, then its ok)

--Texture (Not Sure For This Section, Might be ok)

--Packing (Since BI Tools 3 Hasn't come out yet, may need someone to pack it to .PBO format)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I will make sure that this model will be finished entirely for the community.

Cheers!

Ranwer

@Ranwer, looks promising, keep up the good work. Since we both work on US NAVY aircraft I'll be more than happy to share info/source files on animations [canopy, gear, control surfaces, mfd's etc.]. Drop me a PM once you have the model ready with UV layouts done. I'll try to answer all your questions how to get in game.

Regarding ELECTRONIC WARFARE - long shot, but I have couple of ideas that might be helpful - drop me a PM once you are happy with model.

John

Awesome work and great idea. It will be an excellent aircraft no doubt. Electronic warfare is this plane's primary mission now and if you can find someway to make it work that would be incredible.

@John_Spartan: Thanks mann, I'll PM you when the model is ready ;)

@WarLord554: Yeah, perhaps Bohemia Interactive might add the EA-6B Prowler to one of their updates? :cool:

---------- Post added at 15:57 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

UPDATE:

Did more on the bird, I'm also attempting to do an interior model too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

New Pic ;)

http://i40.tinypic.com/15d6w5z.png (115 kB)

Cheers!

Ranwer

---------- Post added at 17:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

UPDATE:

finished up to Tail, all thats left is the ailerons and the elevator wings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

New Pic:

1zpqext.png

Cheers!

Ranwer

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

hey guys, since in Australia, its almost the end of Sunday (and I've got work from monday-friday). I'll just do a few more touches to the model (and probably a few PM's) before closing up for today. The PROJECT is still running, but the WIP will be temporary pause till Saturday to Sunday (depends if I can get time from work, I might be able to post some updates)

Kind Regards,

Ranwer

he's making what he wants to, and then sharing it with you.
Of course, which is why I said 'please' as a request, instead of making it sound like an order.