Sign in to follow this  
chortles

An amusing take on Arma 3 from an Iranian (not me)

Found on Something Awful's own Arma 3 thread:

So I decided to try the dev build. Not sure if the normal one has Farsi VO but this one does. Finally! emot-dance.gif It is so much fun to be able to understand what they are saying. Would've been awesome if my last name (Also my SA name) would be in the game too. Not sure how common my last name is though.
I still don't get what CSAT is even supposed to stand for and if they are naming them after arabic things that doesn't make sense since they are Iranian. Like myself. If you want to piss off an Iranian at some point, tell them that they are Arabic. Instant results. emot-v.gif
Most of CSAT's equipment that isn't Russian has Farsi designations, definitely not Arabic. Even OPFOR's radio chatter is in Farsi... so don't worry, BI have your back! (even if it's apparently completely fucking wasted on some people, because anyone East of Italy is an A-Rab, right guys?).

CSAT stands for Canton-Protocol Strategic Alliance Treaty. What that implies is anyone's guess. I'm figuring it's the new and improved Warsaw, now with added China!

The Farsi radio chatter is fucking awesome. I made a video of it a while back and sent it to my parents to get their reaction. It's fun to speak the native language of the bad guys in videogames.
So hey, SOMEONE's immersion wasn't broken. :lol: Seriously though BI, kudos on going the extra mile for authenticity's sake instead of, well... .

Bonus, from the beta on the change from OPFOR being explicitly Iranian to being CSAT:

Which, as an Iranian, is disappointing, since I was looking forward to being portrayed as a bad guy in a videogame again. The OPFOR AI still has Farsi names though.
Edited by [FRL]Myke
Please do not hotlink that charges money to create a account

Opfor are still Iranian, I would guess, but they're under the CSAT flag. Lovely take, thx for finding it.

Cool. Seeing as the only word of Farsi I know is "dushman", which apparently means "enemy" in just about every freakin' language from the Caucasus all the way to India, I was musing a few days back whether the Farsi in A3 is actually authentic and sensical or whether it's the "movie bad guy" version of the language. I should have known better; this is BIS we're talking about, after all. Thanks, OP.

dushman, is en enemy in many eastern languages. Takistani, who spoke dari, also said "dushman" or dushmanam maart" - enemy man. A pity, farci isn't that funny as dari, me and a buddy, were have a laugh for a reason, when played takistani.:D

Even on the balkan most people will understand the word Dushman. It is pretty wide spread.

Is it just me, or do they say "YOLO" every now and then?

It would be nice to have Greek voices too but hey... the radio protocols are much better in ArmA 3, for all factions.

It would be nice to have Greek voices too but hey...

I'm sure some of the devs are tired of hearing Greek voices.

dushman, is en enemy in many eastern languages.

It has also made its way across the oceans into American English as "dush, man" (sometimes spelt "douche").:)

Opfor are still Iranian, I would guess, but they're under the CSAT flag. Lovely take, thx for finding it.
Cool. Seeing as the only word of Farsi I know is "dushman", which apparently means "enemy" in just about every freakin' language from the Caucasus all the way to India, I was musing a few days back whether the Farsi in A3 is actually authentic and sensical or whether it's the "movie bad guy" version of the language. I should have known better; this is BIS we're talking about, after all. Thanks, OP.
Pretty much why I posted the poster's comments. :D There were questions over the quality of the radio protocols and the authenticity, so it was cool to find someone declaring that BI had nailed it so much that they were unironically soliciting their parents' reaction.

Despite autenticity, I would LOVE to have an option to turn all voices to English qith a bit of an accent (maybe to all dubbed languages would be too much work) so we can know what our soldiers are saying without having to look at the chat window (which in a way breaks immersion). Sometimes playing as Opfor is not that much fun because of this. We would still hear Farsi when playing as Blufor or Independent and we are near "reds", but it would put more fun to playing as Opfor.

Despite autenticity, I would LOVE to have an option to turn all voices to English qith a bit of an accent (maybe to all dubbed languages would be too much work) so we can know what our soldiers are saying without having to look at the chat window

Don't worry, you'll learn what the statements mean over time, just play CSAT more. :p