Sign in to follow this  
kgino1045

what is headless client?

In shortest way:

1. When running dedicated server it usually utilizes 30%-40% of CPU core/cores power (depends of mission) leaving 40-50% no utilized power,

2. Headless client = client connected (like player do) to dedicated server, it takes AIs calculation, so free CPU power is utilized,

3. It gives better Server FPS = more AIs,

4. Mission must be designed to get headless client working,

cheers, pawel.

Edited by PawelKPL
  • Like 1

So headless client make server to clean and good performance?!

Thanks Pawel :)

What happens if I set up a hc and play a mission which is not designed to support a hc?

I would like to set up a hc but we play a lot of pvp missions or smaller coop missions also which doesn't need/support a hc.

boggler;2549532']What happens if I set up a hc and play a mission which is not designed to support a hc?

I would like to set up a hc but we play a lot of pvp missions or smaller coop missions also which doesn't need/support a hc.

You cannot setup HC on a mission that does not support HC. So... Nothing happens...

HC ai play as they were coded to perform. It's a whole other ai when freed from server calculations.

They will flank your position once engaged.

Here's a youtube vid, "ArmA 3 Alpha: Headless Client AI performance test with 500 AI!":

Seems like a complex workaround which only works for specially designed missions. Why can't the dedi server just use all the available CPU to avoid the need for this?

Seems like a complex workaround which only works for specially designed missions. Why can't the dedi server just use all the available CPU to avoid the need for this?

Interesting question :)

Whats funny is the word itself always made me think that headless client was some bug in the game that you would see,.. well a headless client,

would it not make more sense to name it low core client or something of the like?

Whats funny is the word itself always made me think that headless client was some bug in the game that you would see,.. well a headless client,

would it not make more sense to name it low core client or something of the like?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headless_computer

I think that's where they are getting the term from.

Apologies for a dumb question, but does a headless client run on the same processor as the server, ie utilising an un-used core, or is a separate machine required ? Probably like many I have enough old half decent parts lying around to build a small machine which could offload the AI workload in SP games (assuming they are structured to use HC). I guess licensing is also a factor with a separate license for the game required for a separate machine ?

The ideal situation would be the availability of a low/no cost headless client license running on a local second machine without a full UI, with the Arma server engine modified somehow so that a connected HC system would be automatically used for the AI calculations without having to customise the missions. I am not modernly technical, so am probably smoking the wrong stuff again . . . back to the bath with the national ladies volleyball team. :) . Thats never going to happen either.

cj