Sign in to follow this  
SPC G-Man

Memory-map error with radeon 9700

Same deal with the new drivers. Just an update.

Suma, any thoughts?

Well, ATI has new Catalyst 2.3 up on their website. I still get hard locks and flashing shadows in OFP (1.46 version) if I have Direct3D HW T&L enabled. Works great with just straight Direct3D.

I don't get any lockups, but the flashing shadows are still there.

I posted this in another thread, but I'll post here too in case the other one is missed smile.gif I believe the shadow problem will be fixed in the next driver version after the 2.3 that we just got yesterday. I've had official confirmation from an ATI driver tech that they are aware of the problem and is on it's way to being fixed. I had just reported it when yesterday's drivers went lock and into Q&A.

To fix your lockups, here are my exact settings I use.. I'm not saying these will or wont stop the lockups, just what's worked for me..

Motherboards Bios:

Fastwrites On

AGP 4x

64MB AGP Aperture Size

ATI Driver Control Panel:

4x AA

4x AF

Can't remember any others, I'm at work now smile.gif

One item to note, is when using 3dtweak, flashpoint (and possibly others) would jerk and sputter a LOT with the option enabled for "vertex storage in local memory".

OFP Preferences EXE:

HW T&L

1280x1024

Memory: 768 allocated out of 1024

Texture and File heap: 16M

Geometry Perf: 4100

Max Lights: 32

All 3 items checked on Effects page

All textures at 2048

Autodropdown: none

All Items maxed (sliders right) on Details

In Game:

1280x1024, 32B, 85hz refresh

Everything enabled other than W-buffer

All sliders to the right cept bright and gamma.. Salt to taste.

The most important settings IMO is 64M Aperture in bios, 4x or lower AA, and 1280x1024 or lower res.

Hope this helps!

I just leave that to the autodetected setting.. I'm not sure if that's just a cpu benchmark or if it does anything else. I've got dual 2000+ MPs, 1.6ghz non OC, and of course OFP only uses 1 cpu.

I didn't really think that geometry perf thing changed much and that the details were controlled by all the other settings, but I'll check it out and see smile.gif

i have the same problem  sad.gif

ofp settings are about the same 2

system:

winXP home SP1

XP2200

Asus A7V333

ATi9700 ...  confused.gif   , fu** Ati drivers..  got ver6193

512MB DDR

SB Live!

wonder how this guy got it workin

"ATI's new baby performed very well. With 4x antialiasing enabled, the 9700 Pro had no problems keeping up with Flashpoint' huge outdoor areas"  wow.gif

I have a Radeon 7500 and I can't play Resistance either. I've got the latest drivers (now downloading another set, 3dguru's 7.78 version). Resistance used to run great on my 16mb Nvidia Vanta (!!!wink.gif and when I upgraded to my Radeon and now only get 'memory map' errors.

I've tried everything - hints and tips posted here and at Avon Lady's FAQ and NOTHING has helped. I even wiped out ALL of my 200+ mb of addons. I hoped that the version 1.85 would correct a lot of these problems, but no luck.

I would really like to hear from BIS as to what is being done to fix this problem (which seems to be limited to us ATI Radeoners) or if nothing can be done at all, then to let us know. I really want to play OFP:R, but I haven't been able to in four months now. HELP!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ Nov. 06 2002,09:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've tried everything - hints and tips posted here and at Avon Lady's FAQ and NOTHING has helped.<span id='postcolor'>

There's a reason why the title of one FAQ item is "Are you happy with your ATI Radeon 8500 or 9700?.

There have been so many gripes about ATI's cards. However, by now, most people, at least with the 8500, have got it working.

Have you tried disabling OFP's WBUFFER setting to see if that makes a difference?

Could it be that your problem (CAN'T MEMORY MAP, right?) has nothing to do with your graphics adapter? Did you try out everything in The FAQ's item on "cant memory map"?

In re: disabling W-buffer. It appears that I can only do that inside the game. I get through all the intro splash screens, but I never make it to the game menu. I don't see an option to disable the W-buffer anywhere in the opflash prefs program.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ Nov. 06 2002,10:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In re: disabling W-buffer. It appears that I can only do that inside the game. I get through all the intro splash screens, but I never make it to the game menu. I don't see an option to disable the W-buffer anywhere in the opflash prefs program.<span id='postcolor'>

Search The FAQ for "disable wbuffer". wink.gif

Still no joy. The W-buffer doesn't appear to be the problem. And I tried that CutPbo program as well with no luck (didn't generate a new-o file). In fact, the only memory map error I get is with the music.pbo file.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ Nov. 06 2002,10:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Still no joy.<span id='postcolor'>

Curious: does your PC's motherboard contain a VIA chipset?

Ok guys ive just purchased a new pc:

2.8GHz Pentium 4

120GB hard disk space

1GB DDR RAM

ATI Radeon 9700

Creative Labs Audigy Platinum card

After playing op flash resistance perfectly on my old pc which had a Geforce2 MX 64MB i am pretty disappointed to hear that the Radeon 9700 has a glitch with Resistance. I just wanna know if there is a solution to this "Cannot memory-map RES/addons/o.pbo" or if ATI or Codemasters themselves are coming out with new drivers or a patch? Has anyone got it working?

Hey guys,

I've got a radeon 9700 as well, and it wasn't working when I first installed the card. Then I changed the AGP aperture down to 64 megs from 128, still nothing - but then I changed it down to 32 megs. That did it, for some reason, and now it runs, and looks great! (That sounds like an ad for some sort of fitness product '...and now I look great!' sorry, couldn't help myself)

Uh, execept for the occasional texture popping, but hey otherwise, it's amazing!

biggrin.gif Hey i changed AGP to 64MB and it worked im a happy puppy now. I wanna know what this actually does, does that not mean other games will suffer as a result by reducing from 128MB to 64MB

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MadMattUK @ Nov. 14 2002,15:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">biggrin.gif  Hey i changed AGP to 64MB and it worked im a happy puppy now.<span id='postcolor'>

I am glad to hear AGP BIOS setting helped you. smile.gif

I wonder if anyone is reading Troubleshooting FAQ wink.gif - the answer is there.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wanna know what this actually does, does that not mean other games will suffer as a result by reducing from 128MB to 64MB<span id='postcolor'>

This changes how many textures can be allocated in AGP memory. Under normal conditions, you will not see any negative performance effects, as most games will try to allocated in your local video memory first (I suppose you have plenty of this, having 9700). By reducing AGP apreture size you freed some virtual memory space, which could be used for OFP memory mapping instead.

There are new beta ATI drivers and DirectX 9 Beta release which seem to fix this issue. You can get them from the following page:

http://mirror.ati.com/products/pc/catalyst/dx9demos.html

I suggest you to try installing DX9 ATI drivers only to see it if it will help (they work with DX 8 and DX 8.1 as well). If it does not help, install DX9 Beta runtime as well.

Thanks to Addamo for this information.

Let us now here if this helped.

ok im the second one to post this. i have nothing updated. .i have the exact same stetting i had when i bought this game at 1.46. . but i would liek to know why im getting the "cannot memory map res o.pbo" or soemthing of that nature. .my question is what the hell is the o.pbo and can i delete it?. . im and sick and fucking tired of it crashing my game when it plzs. whats worse it will crash in teh middel of a level. . .as oppsed to aat start up. .now what is the o.pbo thing. why am i getitng this memory error? i have 17GB of memory left on teh harddrive and a shitload of vitural memory. so unless this o.pbo file needs a whole seprate computer to run jsut that file. . i should be able to play my game. mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (~Too Tall~ @ Nov. 23 2002,04:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok im the second one to post this. i have nothing updated. .i have the exact same stetting i had when i bought this game at 1.46. . but i would liek to know why im getting the "cannot memory map res o.pbo" or soemthing of that nature. .my question is what the hell is the o.pbo and can i delete it?. . im and sick and fucking tired of it crashing my game when it plzs. whats worse it will crash in teh middel of a level. . .as oppsed to aat start up. .now what is the o.pbo thing. why am i getitng this memory error? i have 17GB of memory left on teh harddrive and a shitload of vitural memory. so unless this o.pbo file needs a whole seprate computer to run jsut that file. . i should be able to play my game.  mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Delete some of your addons or use a mod directory, seperate stuff according to themes (like one for ww2 stuff, another for Vietnam stuff, another for the multiplayer addons pack) and load only those addons you need for a certain moment.

BTW: O.PBO is basically resistance - it conains most of the stuff that came with the extension - I'd rather not delete it wink.gif

Suma/All

I can confirm that the problem is FIXED by the beta 9.0 Radeon drivers that sumo mentions above...

I have a Radeon 9700 and all is now well..yippee!

cheers for that

Padman

www.vs-uk.net

Has anyone had any problems with these drivers, just not sure if i wanna use dodgy unsupported beta drivers?!

Suma and/or Padman:

Exactly what issue are you referring to the Beta drivers fixing?

- Memory map issue (o.pbo)

- AGP Aperture larger than 64Meg issue

- Flashing textures

Which issue is it? Thanks.

I too am having the texture problem with my 8500LE 128MB card (Cadalyst 2.3 drivers).

The link to the beta drivers (for DX9) always seems to hang at about the 6MB mark for me... it cooks along at 180KB/s or so, then stops.  Been trying for about a day now, maybe 10 different times.

Anyone else have these probs.?

Thanks,

Brian