Sign in to follow this  
SPC G-Man

Memory-map error with radeon 9700

Ok.. I just got my radeon 9700 pro card on friday.. The day before, flashpoint was running on my Radeon 8500 pretty well. After the 9700 install, OFPR now dies at the Codemasters splash with a "cannot memory-map file RES\Addons\O.pbo".. *Nothing* changed whatsoever between the last time it worked fine, and when I first got the error after the new card install.

Yes, I've seen all the posts about addons and whatnot, but they don't pertain to this, as I've totally nuked the entire flashpoint dir and reinstalled from scratch. Doesn't matter.. I've got 21 files in the flashpoint\addons folder, and 23 in the flashpoint\res\addons folder.

Here's a lot of the things that I've tried so far:

Nuke and reinstall.

Scandisk/defrag

AGP Aperature sizes in system bios as well as fastwrites on/off.

Most every combination in the flashpoint preferences.

Turning swap file on (normally I have it off, I've got a gig of pc2100 for crying out loud! ) Reduced the size from 1.5G default to 512M. No joy. Turned it back off.

Tweaked on various radeon settings, and set to defaults.

Turned compatibilty mode on/off for the resistance exe in XP.

About 500,000 more things that I don't remember at the moment.

I'm very methodical and patient when troubleshooting (although, I do scream a lot! ) and I don't overlook too many things.. I work tech support for a living. This one definitely has me stumped tho.

Unless there's a fix in another post or on a FAQ somewhere that I haven't tried yet, I'm gonna ass/u/me there's some sort of problem between the 9700 and OFP. I've sent a detailed message and context.bin and dxdiag.txt to BIS, if anything good comes from it, I'll be sure to post it here!

SPC G-Man

1st of the 123rd Infantry (Redbull) Division

System stats:

Tyan 2466N-4m MPX motherboard

2x AMD 2000+ MP

2x 512M pc2100 ddr ecc reg

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro w/(19" KDS Avitron + 17" Samtron junk)

Adaptec 3200S u160 32M cache dual channel RAID PCI64

2x 18G u160 SCSI drives 10k rpm (raid-0)

Pioneer A04 dvdrw

80G Seagate 7200rpm ata100 junk storage

Creative SB Live

WinXP Pro

I've been having this problem as well but I don't think mine's an upgrade or a driver problem sad.gif

I used to run 1.46 with shed loads of addons and it ran rock stable for months.  The problems started when I upgraded to 1.75 and then I started gettting the memory map errors.

Ah-ha, I think, I've read the FAQ and it'll be a problem with the number of addons I've got.  (I know 1.75 was supposed to have better addon handling than 1.46 but this seems not to be the case).  Using the 'sledgehammer to crack walnut' approach I decided to reformat the HDD and reinstalled win98 from scratch.  After loading all the latest drivers for every device in the system I installed OFP 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.46 and 1.75 and .... memory map errors sad.gif

Not only that, the whole game is drastically unstable and crashes to desktop or locks up far too frequently.  I've got so annoyed with it all that I've wound back to 1.46 and things are nice and stable again

Any ideas (not including reinstalling or new drivers)?  Could be a virtual memory problem - what's a good size for a swapfile?

bighodge

1.5GHz Athlon, I-will KK266-R, 512 Mb PC150 SDRAM, GeForce 3 Ti200, 80 Gb Raid-0

Sorry to not offer any help, but I hope you get the new 9700 card working very soon. I really would like to hear your experience with OFP with this card. I currently have the 8500 and run OFP at 1024x768 with 2xAA and 16 aniso and its nice. I really would like to see if you can run it at 6xAA and what the highest resolution you can reach that would still be playable. Please keep us posted!!!

Thanks and good luck.

I'm sure it'll run well with 6x AA and all that if I can get it running at all smile.gif I've ran a few other games with it on, and all I can say is holy freakin cow!

I know it's probably a bad word to say around here, but I went through bootcamp in America's Army at 1600x1200 with 6x, and OMFG!! (Hey, I gotta be a soldier somewhere if I can't be in OFP)

If it is a problem with the drivers/card and OFP, I'm sure it'll be fixed up quickly, as the 9700 has pretty much taken the world by storm, and will be - if it's not already - the elitist card of choice. Hopefully come monday when everyone at BIS gets back to work, they'll have an idea of whats going on and be able to clue me wink.gif If even to tell me that "we've talked to a few other ppl, and it runs great with the 9700"

On a side note, I read a review a week or so ago on the 9700 and the author said he took the 9700 testbed to a lan party and played OFP there, so I'm kind of puzzled. It's possible that the review card he got came with older drivers or beta drivers that the shipping retail card didn't. I think I'll email him and ask the particulars about his setup.

Thanks for the input avonlady, but yeah.. I did uninstall and nuke the ATI keys and so forth in the registry like a good geek should smile.gif ATI drivers have always been kind of picky about uninstalling first. I'm on a very fresh install of XP Pro too. I just put this new dual machine together about 2 weeks ago and completely wiped the raid and rebuilt and reinstalled then. There's not much else installed at the moment. All the windowsupdate files (minus the creative drivers) have been done too.

I need a little break from ofp anyway to play with some of the other toys I just got, like my KVM switch I haven't even unboxed yet heh heh

SPC G-Man

Which drivers are you using? There are some leaked betas that just sprung up last night. You can get them on Warp2Search.net.

I'm watching this card closely!!! just can't justify it yet as I bought the 8500 about 5 months ago. I thought I rather spend the money on a new monitor that can do high resolutions before going after this card. Getting the monitor this week, and will be drooling after 9700!!

Pls keep us posted.

NOOOOOOOO DONT GET AN ATI!!!!

aww.....

ATI's are glitchy fucking cards. go with a geforce! dont waste your money on an ATI

You are kidding right?

As it happens, I play a lot of games. The only one I've ever had a problem with is OFP. That's with both the Radeon 8500 and so far, the 9700.

I'd suggest you go do a little more research before you lay down your next blanket ATI bash. Unless you like being branded a "typical nvidiot". Go read some reviews or something. Nvidia has had it's own share of problems with it's cards too. What driver revision they up to now? 22 dot something? LOL

Why in gods name would I want a card that's a meager $100 cheaper than my 9700 Pro and is anywhere from 1.5x or 2x slower than my 9700? Maybe math isn't your strong suit, dunno. Maybe this is a better angle.. 1600x1200 @85hz, 6x AntiAliasing, and 16x Anisotropic filtering.. Uhh all at once, and silky smooth framerates.. Yeah, I think that says it better.

Anyway, I'm not gonna take the bait, I just figured I'd jiggle the lure a little. All future posts about ati vs nv will be ignored. Go troll your own topic.

SPC G-Man

The Radeon 9700 isn't 2x faster. It's only faster in the heaviest tests where both cards have low framerates.

(extreme) Example: card 1 gets 3 fps, card2 gets 6 -> twice as fast! but still very slow, only 3 fps faster!

Anyway, I'll stick to my GF4Ti. It's a lovely card, and nvidia provides good driver support.

Its really not worth responding to.

I own the 8500 and never had a problem with OFP until Resistance. The only problem I have is flashing guns/textures once in a while, and its likely caused by the game itself.

I had exactly the same problem with the 8500 128mb non LE version on a clean install.

see this thread

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....4;st=20

I had sent in the crash file (or just the bin as thats all I got) and it looked like it was caused by a driver problem.

In the end I gave up and put my GF card back in and resistance has run fine since.

But I think Deus Ex posted in that thread that setting the AGP aperture in the BIOS to 64Mb allowed resistance to run for them.

A lot of people seem to be running resistance on the 8500, so it must be a configuration or setting somewhere that is causing it not to run for some people.

Yeah, I had RES running on my 8500 just fine. Had a few issues when I upgraded mb/cpu's/ram but got those cleared up. Now this 9700 is a different story.

I did once again nuke OFP totally and did a reinstall. The original US retail 1.20 does load and will take me into the game, although it's REAL jerky, like a pause every second. Totally unplayable. I didn't install any patches after the initial 1985 install and then installed RES, same deal.. Same error message: "cannot memory-map RES/Addons/O.pbo"

I also tried installing 1985, then 1.30, then the last patch, then RES.. Same error. I haven't tried to track down exactly which patch started the problem, but it definitely is hosed in RES.

Unless I hear anything else, I guess I'll just forget about OFP and go play something else like AA or MOH. Can't wait for doom3!! Especially all the games after that'll be based on it's engine. This 9700 is gonna smoke.. Combine that with my dual 2000+ that D3 will use.. OMG.. wink.gif

SPC G-Man

Guru3D has new WHQL-certified drivers (V7.75) for 98/ME/2000/XP that are compatible with the Radeon 8500DV/8500/7500/7200/7000/DDR/SDR/VE/LE/AIW/9000/9000 Pro/9700 -- you may want to try those.

For those bashing the ATI cards (and the 9700 in particular), I think we can all agree that the hardware is great, but that the drivers leave something to be desired. Luckily, the later can be fixed...

Yeah, the 6143 drivers are what shipped on the CD with my 9700 pro retail. These drivers have been floating around for a week or so now, some places are saying they're beta, some say they're final. They all have the July 25th date and the same version number.

They're leaked, and I consider any leaked set that not's on ATI's driver page as beta smile.gif I've ran some of em with my 8500 with varied results. Might be worth a shot for ppl with an 8500 tho.

SPC G-Man

Mentioned above but you never said if you tried it.

Try reducing the AGP aperture in the BIOS, see if that helps it seemed to fix the 8500 problem for a few people.

As the 9700 is new, maybe put in a driver bug report with ATI, maybe they can find out why, as it is more than likely a driver problem.

I just gave up with the 8500, had a few problems with other games as well (they were know video driver problems) and just got fed up, have the 8500 in another machine I don't use for games now and works fine. The games the 8500 worked well in, looked and played better than the GF I have now, but the GF works in everything without having to tweak it for each game.

Well..

I dunno exactly what I did, but since the last time it didn't work, I flashed my motherboards bios back to the last flash before the current one, cleared the cmos, then turned the AGP aperture size down to 64M again.

It's still not perfect, but I played a couple maps last night smile.gif

I cranked up 6x AA and 16x AF on a single player map with High Quality terrain (left the visibility at 900).. Wow. Incredible looking, and playable.

Of course, there's that deal where you have to do a 360 when you first load into the map so it loads all the textures or whatever it does, but after that it runs pretty good. That only started in RES.

I'm just kind of baffled why OFP is the only game I've found (out of at least 50 different games I've played) on my 8500 or 9700 that requires a 64M aperture size. 3dmark runs great with all the way up to a 1G aperture size too. From what I understand, the aperture size should be set to 2x the amount of ram on your video card, so it includes the amount of video ram you actually have, plus another lump of system ram it can use if vid ram gets full.. Kind of like the winders swap file. The setting is the total amount the system bios maps to AGP memory. It should definitely be at least the amount of ram on your vidcard.

So anyway, I tried it before when I first had the problem, but I tried a 64M aperture size again, and it works now. I'm guessing RES uses a different way of accessing AGP memory than everything else, dunno..

SPC G-Man

OFP and OFP:R don't talk to the video card directly, they talk to the Direct3D or Glide APIs to render the graphics. They are completely unaware of the AGP aperture size. The only thing that would care about that are the video card drivers.

That's what I would think too, but everything else runs great.. Here's the stuff I've played in just the couple of days I've had my new card. I've confirmed that they run flawlessly with a 256M aperture size:

3dmark 2001 (all tests, score of 11000 on defaults)

Duke Nukem Manhatten Project

NHL2002

America's Army

Gore

ZDoomGL with full md2 models and highest details (yeah, it's openGL I know, but would still use the aperture size)

Battlecraft Arena

Obviously OFP is doing something that all these other games aren't. Or it's not doing something the rest are.. Dunno.. If anyone has something they'd like to see me try to run with a 256M aperture size, lemme know.. I suppose I could break out my old quake3 and a few others, but I'm sure they'd be ok.

You will probably find that OFP 1.46 runs fine as well

The only time I had problems was with resistance, even the MP tests 1.59 and 1.60 ran fine on the 8500 as long as I did not use HW t&L (flashing textures).

I know when I last tried the catalyst drivers (2.1) when I had the card installed, fixed a lot of issues in other games but not resistance.

If you have not tried the catalyst 2.2 drivers I would try them, and if still problems submit a bug report to ATI. Maybe they can give you some more ideas to try.

Yeah, the 9700 comes with the 6143 Catalyst 2.2 drivers on the install CD.

As far as the 8500 goes, RES ran ok (few probs) on my 8500, old motherboard, with an AGP aperture of 256. It ran well enough to play it, when the server bug didn't rear it's ugly head anyway.

You're right too, 1.46 ran like a champ on my 8500. I long for those days again sad.gif Haven't tried 1.46 on my 9700, not any real reason to, I'd just be teasing myself with something that actually worked good, compared to all the bugs in RES.

Once again, here's a couple of the stats from my current machine:

Tyan 2466N-4m MPX motherboard

2x AMD 2000+ MP

2x 512M ecc ddr reg

Radeon 9700 Pro retail

Out of curiosity, have you tried using a single processor to see if OFP and the Radeon 9700 will work correctly in that configuration?

For a very long time, the Creative Labs drivers absolutely hated SMP setups, and with the relatively new Catalyst drivers, there may be similar problems.

You can run your system with a single CPU quite easily -- open up your BOOT.INI file using Notepad, go to the [operating systems] section, make a copy the line for the OS you boot into and give it an appropriate description, and add the /OneCPU switch at the end of the line. Reboot, choose the newly added configuration, and Presto!, your entire installation will use only a single processor without installing a single-processor HAL or messing with the Processor Affinity Masks.

(Edit: Fixed a typo)

Yup, seen em, tried to get em already, site's hosed smile.gif ATI said a while back ago that they were going to try and crack down on the leaked drivers and stuff, I wonder if they pulled the plug on the site. Possible I guess. Could just be overload or hit the traffic limit too. I'll defintely check em out though. Not a huge fan of beta drivers heh heh

The server is responding to pings, but not accepting HTTP requests right now, so my guess is they are simply swamped.