Sign in to follow this  
bardosy

Chesty Puller campaign recreation for Arma 3.

I made a few testing scenarios, but I want to create good old infantry battles with armored and air support. So I recreated the first mission of Chesty Puller campaign.

Steam:

Mazi beachhead

Force Recon

3fvd.th.jpg y6bw.th.jpg kjdu.th.jpg

gp0s.th.jpg u67b.th.jpg 1wca.th.jpg

It's not so easy like in ArmA2. Many problems are in our way. But you can check the first mission and relive the mood of smoke and yelling, when you are not alone, because the other infantry teams are next to you and IFVs are your back and helicopters above you.

Of course I don't want recreate the whole campaign, but I try to adopt a few memorable missions of my campaigns for arma3.

Feedback are welcome.

Direct:

Mazi beachhead

Force Recon

Edited by bardosy

Awesome. One of the best Arma 2 campaigns!

Gonna test right now!

I made a few testing scenarios, but I want to create good old infantry battles with armored and air support. So I recreated the first mission of Chesty Puller campaign.

Steam link

It's not so easy like in ArmA2. Many problems are in our way. But you can check the first mission and relive the mood of smoke and yelling, when you are not alone, because the other infantry teams are next to you and IFVs are your back and helicopters above you.

Of course I don't want recreate the whole campaign, but I try to adopt a few memorable missions of my campaigns for arma3.

Feedback are welcome.

Chesty Puller was one of the first things I ever played on Arma 2 and I got many good hours gaming out of it. That AA gun on the control tower roof killed me more than once!

I must admit that I didn't finish the campaign as there were a few Warfare missions and I couldn't get my head around them, but I did really enjoy the early missions where you only commanded a few guys so you felt like a little dude in a big war. (I think at the time the AI was hard to command so the less I had to do with AI, the better).

Good to see you're still doing missions - looking forward to playing this one.

Plus, Chesty Puller is the best name ever - I actually thought it was a joke at first though. Where I'm from, a chesty puller is a fit bird with big knockers!

@Das Attorney: I learnt from every of my campaign and many players didn't like High Command (ordering other squads) so I left it (but I like HC). And I preferred to drive other squads by me and scripts. If you remember Op Mighty Justice campaign, all mission was HC-free.

Are you serious, it's a bird? I gave that name to the campaign for salute the great marine commander, because that campaign was a USMC oriented.

No, sorry I meant a woman (sometimes people here refer to women as birds) http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=a%20bird

I did look him up after I downloaded your campaign - the guy was a bit of a legend by all accounts.

On-topic, yes I couldn't remember the name of Op Mighty Justice - It was pretty awesome though rolling through Takistan with armoured support :)

I have completed it and the mission is as cool as the original, but the framerate is terrible, especially in the beach and first town.

I have decreased the view distance but is not enough. I know is not your fault. I have a good rig and played the originals with good FPS.

I hate Arma 3 general performance, is awful, the most show stopper "feature".

PD: Operation mighty justice is another great campaign, I even prefer it over Chesty puller.

@down8: thanks for feedback. First i also found this framerate drop in the first town, and i removed a few AI groups and optimize the scripts. And later it was not soo bad. And i approach to the first town not so quickly, and if i left time before insert the town. Anyway, thanks for report that low FPS.

Since you will not re-create your past campaigns in complete form for A3, will you be working on other SP missions and campaigns for A3?

@Kommiekat: I planned to create a greek campaign (with 1/3 retreat-missions, 1/3 guerilla-missions and 1/3 assault missions) but I have lots of roadblocks to create this:

1. Arma3 have early-problems yet: this Beachhead missions is not a large or medium size battle, it's just a little fight, but have framerate issues. In my imagined campaign there are medium or large size battles, like in Chesty Puller or Mighty Justice.

2. The UPSMON script wont work on arma3 so good as on arma2. In this beachhead missions, I left the enemy static and mobile weapons to use (as I left these in arma2 missions), but they refuse to use these. So they are sitting ducks for the supporter IFVs.

3. I have a baby son in real life, so I have much fewer time. When I editing mission, he always crawl to me and hang my feet to get him up and watch what I do in my PC. It's nice, but hard to focus to the mission editing.

Well, so I try to create missions for Arma3 too.

Good luck to you Mr. bardosy.

Congratulations on the baby.

Nice to see you're back in the saddle again!!

hehe such a cute kid! If I were to live in Hungary I would have suggested my babysitting services to allow you to focus on editing lol!

I'll try to find some time to test the mission in coop mode on our dedicated server.

Thanks Variable! :)

I made a test with coop and the mission works VERY different as in SP:

* The support IFV-s was very dumb and they was destroyed before capture the first town

* The support helicopter didn't fly accross the area but fight a little and then stand in the air. :)

So I tested it again in SP and everything works just fine. So somehow the helicopter's "seek and destroy" waypoint is not working in MP.

But I could finish all the tasks in MP and complete the mission.

Oh, and when a player join to the mission I got the hint about the first mission is assigned. Every new player. I'll fix it, but fortunately it's not a showstopper.

Just completed the mission in SP. Fun as usual with your missions! :)

I also saw the chopper stuck in the air, doesn't seem like an issue only with mp.

The AI in my team were highly non responsive. Kept getting stuck or moving to places I didn't ordered then to. I'm playing with tpw's pack and TMR. - Edit: caused by WW AICover.

Edited by Variable

I'm very close to release the second mission: Force Recon. But this mission is look like the PIROG campaign 2nd mission... :)

It appears that the causse of the unresponsive or stuck units was a result of WW AICover, and not the mission. My appologies...

Looking forward to playing the next one! :)

It appears that the causse of the unresponsive or stuck units was a result of WW AICover, and not the mission. My appologies...

It's not quite true. I also found stucked units in my playtest. One of my men are stand still in an open street of the first town and I cannot remove him. So I guess it's the arma3 engine, not the MOD or the mission. I create a not so nice, but practical script, executed after capture the first town: all unit is teleported to the leader of group. If the player is not watch back and focus to the fight, he will not discover this little cheat. But it's practical, until BIS fix this.

The same problem was in my second mission. Two of my men stucked (not in a obstacle, just stand in the open street and couldn't move) so I use this "reorg" script again.

I play with the "official" version 1.02, not the development version.

bardosy, this is great news! Love that campaign, but could you include the mod: NATO_Russian_SF_Weapons as I would love to shoot the M4 in A3?

I'm a little bit disappointed today. I added the last task to the second mission and now everything went terrible. Before this last task (a script create a counter-attack and player has to hold it) I test the majority of the mission without problem. But in yesterday test the begining of the mission was terrible: the support infantry squads (driven by simple waypoints) go away and deserted the battle. The support IFVs was destroyed by the defenders (it's OK, but much harder result then in previous tests). I hope it's not because of the patch. I have more tests before publish it.

Thank you MistyRonin!

And this is my post to the general arma3 topic, why delay the second mission:

I created a mission before the first official patch and mission went well, but since 1.02, the groups didn't follow their WPs.

Here is a picture.

At the left side, you can see the editor with WPs moving from south to North-West (I draw a red arrow to show). On the right side, you can see the actual gameplay screenshot, when you can see, the renegade groups left the battle and go to West. It's not an improved AI, because they didn't flank or something smart, they actually LEFT the battlefield, they are so FAR from the fight they didn't do any useful. Without these supportive infantry groups, the player cannot capture the town, so my mission ruined.

I updated the first post with the second mission's link.

Can you plz post a non-steam download link?