Sign in to follow this  
SelectThis

New seb huey - spec op version

Okay I can't help meself, I gotta do the wishlist based on extensive playing the first Nam pack almost to death and then back again...

1) An early model ZSU for the NVA. I think they had something nicknamed the Quad Fifty that might have been one. It would give them a decent AA punch without having to use SAMs, which frankly are not much fun.

2) Some sort of VC or NVA low-level fixed heavy machinegun.

3) RPG7s. No determined VC soldier should leave his tunnel without one of these nearby.

4) Reduced weapons fire damage. This isn't so much an issue of realism as much as the fact that it makes medics that much more important as fewer soldiers are killed outright and enables players playing as medics more opportunities to earn their CMHs.

5) A medium sized jungle island, and I mean intense jungle, few clearings and possibly only a couple of ruined villages, then a couple of places for staging helicopters and some roads through the jungle with trees up close on either side, and a river, and some punkass wooden bridges. Basically like the Trang valley map but with loads more trees.

6) VC and NVA trucks, and also trucks and jeeps for the US army reskinned accordingly, or at least recrewed. Same goes for the M113.

7) A shotgun for the US army lads perhaps? Seem to recall seeing them in many a movie for close encounters.

8) A reskinned and/or recrewed patrol/landing boat for the US.

There. I did it.

Just to add though the Vietnam mod is damn good, I prefer using it to using the original game units. The models for both sides are excellent and the new weapons such as the early model M16 and M79 are particularly impressive.

I'd also recommend to anyone that hasn't tried it yet using the Littlebird helicopter mod with the Vietnam forces as the eastern forces will fire on the Littlebirds with machineguns which makes them the ideal gunship to deploy without mucking up game balance too much.

i believe there are plans for an OH-6A Cayuse in the pack, wont be using capt moores model though....

The NVA had a few ZSU-23-4's, though they were not ready for combat deployment till '75 and only saw limited action in the south during the final offensive.

Maybe better for Nam missions:

A couple of months ago I saw a twin stationary aa gun, also 23 mm on some in-game shots at ofp.info, these could be used very well as authentic vietnam era aaa. And recently there was a zsu-57-2 3d-model somewhere which could be used also.

BTW Great work on the Nam pack (as always)

there will hopefully be a BTR-152 in the pack, we might be able to fit an aa gun on the back of that...

Evis can the t-55 be altered?? The ZSU-57-2 is build on the T-55 chasis but with a altered wheel configuration and some other small changes.

3 view drawing of ZSU-57-2 here and of T-55 here

Real life pictures here, here ,here and here

VC paint version here

Walk around pictures here

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A couple of months ago I saw a twin stationary aa gun, also 23 mm on some in-game shots at ofp.info, these could be used very well as authentic vietnam era aaa.<span id='postcolor'>

its the one made by the retelations-team.... im affraid you have to wait till the release of the campaign sad.gif

but it really looks great... the will be a mounted version on a kamaz truck too

Shall the NAM Pack 2 be released only for OFP 1.75, or for both versions?

It will only be for OFP:R as some of the units will be using the larger textures available in it.

If 1.46 can handle the larger texture sizes then I could try to code the OFP:R bits (cfgmodels etc) into a seperate PBO people without OFP:R can use it. (bit like the quickfix I made for Nam Pack 1)

SelectThis

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SelectThis @ Aug. 23 2002,20:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It will only be for OFP:R as some of the units will be using the larger textures available in it.

If 1.46 can handle the larger texture sizes then I could try to code the OFP:R bits (cfgmodels etc) into a seperate PBO people without OFP:R can use it. (bit like the quickfix I made for Nam Pack 1)

SelectThis<span id='postcolor'>

If I understand correctly what Suma has been saying then OFP does not have any texture limitations. Graphics boards have. For instance the voodoo series can only handle 256x256 textures.

the marines dont use the UH-1D/C they use the UH-1N which looks different, and also not used in nam...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Aug. 23 2002,11:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SelectThis @ Aug. 23 2002,20wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It will only be for OFP:R as some of the units will be using the larger textures available in it.

SelectThis<span id='postcolor'>

If I understand correctly what Suma has been saying then OFP does not have any texture limitations. Graphics boards have. For instance the voodoo series can only handle 256x256 textures.<span id='postcolor'>

lol, I was wandering why I couldn't get any higher. I almost went insane trying to figuer that one out.

Dumb question, but are you including a hush puppy for the US Spec Ops? They don't have any silent options otherwise, and the hush puppy was widely used blah blah blah blah...

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

I'm making this mission that's based on EA's SEAL Team from 1993 ( http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=SEAL+Team ), which I felt was an awesome game, though lacking in certain areas. (graphics, combat, etc.)

Well, I've got my dynamic mission generator working (I borrowed it from my Homeland Security mod/map, based loosely on CS), so it picks the date/time, mission name, type of mission (patrol, ambush, observation, capture, demolition, rescue, recover), an insertion method, extraction method, fire support method, mission location, enemy strength, and occasional friendly-enemy battles in the background, etc. etc. etc. I've got the four man seal team outfitting working well, however... There's no option to silently take down guards! I could make my own hush puppy, but it would be easier if you guys just threw one in the pack wink.gif Fofr now I'm just using a capture option, where you get close enoguh to the guy and he's turned into a weaponless prisoner who follows you around. But I still want a hush puppy.

Oh yes, and what about sampans? wink.gif

I could probably make my own, make it have a few guys in cargo, and the gunner be a guy kneeling holding an ak47...

Oh, and major thanks to everyone who made mods that I'm using for this. The La Drang Valley, SEB Nam pack, martin's hueys... It's all wonderful wink.gif

SEAL team is amazing biggrin.gif I have it in my wardrobe right here, on 2 3.5" disks biggrin.gif

Lost the manual though sad.gif

That was an amazing game, I esp. liked the M60. You would just fire 200 rounds through andeverything, both in close and far vicinity would be DEAD biggrin.gif

You also had chopper and Phantom air support, I spent hours playing it smile.gif

EDIT: I also fixed your link smile.gif

Heh, whoops. Damn parenthesisesisies.

In Nam pack 2.0 I know they're adding in LSSC's and other boats, as well as some nice gunships.

I've got a phantom that 'works', the hueys, the seals, the VC, the island (Though, I would prefer the mekong delta or the rung sat special zone to the Ia drang, but hey, who's picky?), the weapons, and the mission engine. All I need are sampans and a hush puppy... =)

I'm planning to toss in a proximity activated 'capture' function, although I don't know if you'll ever be able to get that close to the enemy... perhaps it would work best on enemies shot in the legs...

Options for Insertion/Extraction:

Huey (Seawolves, I wish wink.gif )

LSSC

PBR

(I'd say parachutes but if I rememebr correctly, SEAL para insertions were rarely done....)

Mission Objectives:

patrol (patrol waypoints)

ambush (take down group of enemies)

observation (Confirm a target and it's location, friendlie's blow it to hell)

capture (capture a high ranking official. Phoenix comes to mind...)

demolition (Blow something to hell and back)

rescue (POW's,. downed pilots, or cut off troops need YOUR help!wink.gif

recover (Locate some object [weapons cache, documents, etc.), and earmark it for a support team to get it.)

Enemies:

Locals (VC mixed in with villagers)

VC Squad

Small VC Base w/ patrols

VC 'Convoy'

Large VC base (2-3 squads, few emplacements)

(Of course, if the shit hits the fan, VC assemble from nearby patrols/camps and zero on your position)

Support Teams:

Artilery

Phantoms (cluster bombs/napalm)

Cobra gunships

UH1-C Hueys

LSSCs/PBR's (water permitting)

I'm still pinpointing the different mission locations, but there should be around 10-15, with a few special ones. (IE, NVA/VC attacking an important firebase).

There will probably be a few beach area missions, a few near the NVA 'base' mountain, a few riverine missions, a few near LZ's, and a few deep in the jungle.

Depending on the mission, there may also be friendlies. For example, a group of downed troops holding out near their crashed chopper, or a nearby seal team (rare, but possible). Aircraft may be conducting raids on positions, and if the mission takes place in an area where air cav or regulars might be present, they'll be autonomous and fighting on their own. If the mission is supposedly taking place in the Mekong or the RSSZ, there won't be troops on the ground. Yeah, the army taking foot soldiers into the lion's den. wink.gif (It was suicide to take troops into those heavily infested regions). However, if it's a generic vietnam location, there should be friendly ground troops for fun's sake. I plan to have different concentrations of the vietnamese on the island, if I use the Ia Drang. The NVA will be located on the large mountain, and the forces will disintegrate into VC, and local VC militia as you progress towards the north east of the island, with americans having a small to moderate concentration at the SF firebase/airbase. During missions, battles will occasionally take place independant of the player, or in conjunction (IE, make this distraction so troops divert towards you and we can attack here, or since they're fighting here, you should be able to sneak in and do A-B-C.)

I should get it into a playable state in about a week or two, and I'll integrate the Nam Pack 2.0 once it arrives, and 'feature complete' beta should be done in 2-3 weeks. However, feature complete doesn't mean feature creep won't rear its ugly head....

Oh yes, and EXTREME praise to everyone that helped make this pack. It's just as awesome as those before me have testified.

By the way, you an download the manual in PDF from that underdogs link. =)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The_Captain @ Aug. 26 2002,05:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By the way, you an download the manual in PDF from that underdogs link. =)<span id='postcolor'>

I did wink.gif

Not that it would do me any good ,I don't think SEAL team runs on Win XP biggrin.gif

Your idea sounds great, can't wait to download it smile.gif

a couple of new aircraft that have been added to the list of things being made are the F4 which we will be using freeware models for instead of spending ages making a new one, and the ch-47a has been added, it will have two m60's like the huey but only one will work, and if there is deemed enough room in the pack there will be a ACH-47A

armament_c.jpg

spec op blackhawks? i didnt know he was working on any...unless you mean the ballistic ones?

oh and i have the huey gunship and i have to say great work to selectthis, it looks exactly like a bell 204 smile.gif

sebuh1c-ara-gl2.jpg

(ARA UH-1C with the little known cowboys of vietnam smile.gif)

*Tears of joy*

But the guns will go to wast on the ACH-47A sad.gif

But it looks good, all we need know is some indians for the cowboys of the sky to round up :DD

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ Aug. 26 2002,17:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">spec op blackhawks? i didnt know he was working on any...unless you mean the ballistic ones?<span id='postcolor'>

Yea i meant the BA stuff, looks good biggrin.gif