Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Mi-26 crashes

From http://www.cnn.com/2002....ex.html

Chechnya crash: Dozens feared dead

August 19, 2002 Posted: 1:13 PM EDT (1713 GMT)

story.heli.ap.jpg

A giant Mi-26 Russian helicopter at Bagram air base, Afghanistan, in April

MOSCOW, Russia -- Dozens of Russian soldiers and crew are feared dead after a military helicopter crash-landed in Chechnya amid indications that a fire had broken out in one of the engines.

Confusion surrounds Monday's incident but it appears the helicopter, one of the largest transport helicopters in the world, came down at Khankala airport near the capital Grozny at 5 p.m. local time (1400 GMT).

Early indications were that 112 passengers and five crew were onboard, but this was later downgraded to 85 by Boris Podoprigora, a spokesman for the military in Chechnya.

The Russian Ministry of Defence later said 132 people had been on board the Mi-26, but would not say how many had died. A source told CNN it was likely that all on board were dead.

Some reports said 10 soldiers had been killed while early ministry of defence figures had indicated only a handful had been injured.

Defence Ministry spokesman Nikolay Deryabin told state-run ORT television the helicopter was forced to make an emergency landing after a warning light indicated a fire had broken out in the engine.

The pilot immediately brought the craft down for a hard landing.

"The pilot of the Mi-26 said that according to his instruments there was a fire in one of the engines, and he asked for an emergency landing," Deryabin told ORT.

Interfax news agency, citing unnamed military sources, said the helicopter was shot down by rebels and 10 were dead.

Conflicting reports also surround the cause of the accident. Chechen rebels are claiming responsibility, saying they shot it down.

No other details were available but Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered a full investigation.

Russian forces have struggled to completely subdue the Caucasian province of Chechnya despite a massive military occupation since the late 1990s intended to stamp out separatism.

Clashes regularly erupt between Russian troops and Chechen rebels.

Naaaaah, all those chemical bombs, thanks to them the war will be over in no time AND there's a 50/50 chance of survival.

Or your country gets nuked, OR some other country gets nuked.

Well, good luck buddy!

See you on the battlefield!!!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Aug. 19 2002,21:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Naaaaah, all those chemical bombs, thanks to them the war will be over in no time AND there's a 50/50 chance of survival.

Or your country gets nuked, OR some other country gets nuked.

Well, good luck buddy!

See you on the battlefield!!!!<span id='postcolor'>

What the heck are you talking about. confused.gif

Very mixed messages from Russia, we'll have to wait to get the real answer (maybe a long time?)

I guess I'll have to look this chopper up...over 100 ppl in a helo sounds crazy to me , I know the russians make everything big and all but damn 132 ppl!

I wonder how a chopper that big lands when it has problems??? Anyone ever see a MI-26 in person? I've seen very large U.S. made cargo choppers on the job, but they never carried any more ppl than than the crew.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pathfinder @ Aug. 19 2002,20:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I guess I'll have to look this chopper up...over 100 ppl in a helo sounds crazy to me , I know the russians make everything big and all but damn 132 ppl!

I wonder how a chopper that big lands when it has problems???   Anyone ever see a MI-26 in person?   I've seen very large U.S. made cargo choppers on the job, but they never carried any more ppl than than the crew.<span id='postcolor'>

The Russians have a chopper that looks like a Boeing 707 and has 2 huge rotors where the wings would be.

THAT is a massive chopper biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Aug. 19 2002,15:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Russians have a chopper that looks like a Boeing 707 and has 2 huge rotors where the wings would be.

THAT is a massive chopper biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yep, the Russians have made some extrordinary vehicles. If their funding was proper they would probably eclipse the US completely.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Aug. 19 2002,22:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Aug. 19 2002,15:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Russians have a chopper that looks like a Boeing 707 and has 2 huge rotors where the wings would be.

Yep, the Russians have made some extrordinary vehicles.  If their funding was proper they would probably eclipse the US completely.<span id='postcolor'>

Well i always wonderd what if the germans and the russian get together to make weapons.I think there we could see the best wepons ever made. We have a small example AK-47 it was made based on the model Stg-44 from WWII.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Aug. 19 2002,22:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Aug. 19 2002,15:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Russians have a chopper that looks like a Boeing 707 and has 2 huge rotors where the wings would be.

Yep, the Russians have made some extrordinary vehicles.  If their funding was proper they would probably eclipse the US completely.<span id='postcolor'>

You must mean Mil Mi-12. smile.gif

Mil_V-12_21142.jpg

15a.jpg

The technoalgy and advancement of the Leopard 2 mixed with a Russian low profile easy to produce in large numbers tank!

Another tragic incident involvoing Russian equiptment. Its not so much the fact that its bad equiptment, its the fact that with such low funding, nothing has all the time spent on maintaining them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Aug. 20 2002,11:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Aug. 19 2002,22:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Aug. 19 2002,15:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Russians have a chopper that looks like a Boeing 707 and has 2 huge rotors where the wings would be.

Mil_V-12_21142.jpg

15a.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

... wow....

What the Hell was it supposed to be? Like a commercial airline helicopter thing? confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Aug. 20 2002,11:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Aug. 19 2002,22:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Aug. 19 2002,15:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Russians have a chopper that looks like a Boeing 707 and has 2 huge rotors where the wings would be.

Mil_V-12_21142.jpg

15a.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, that's the one I meant biggrin.gif Amazing, innit smile.gif

According to the Russian news sources there were 132 to 142 people aboard the helicopter. It does constitute an overload for a Mi-26 but it should have been able to handle it. It's still unclear whether the engine fire that forced it to land was caused by enemy action (hand-held SAM) or a technical malfunction. The helicopter then crashed into a minefield just short of it's destination landing strip at Hankala, which made the rescue efforts very difficult as the engineers had to clear the minefield first. The final casualty figure may well exceed 100 people.

"Chopper is history!" biggrin.gif

I can't say I really care. All they came to do there was to kill and destroy. Much like in the game on Nogova, but only much worse.

AA launcher was found near Mi26... well, it's not my war.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can't say I really care. All they came to do there was to kill and destroy. Much like in the game on Nogova, but only much worse. <span id='postcolor'>

You forget to say “Allah akbarâ€

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Aug. 20 2002,12:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">15a.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

i think anyone asked what the mi12 should be good for.... here are some infos about it..

ps:yes i know you are all not interessed but this is a good way for me to get posts tounge.gif

All I can say is, just because the thing can get off the ground doesn't mean that I'd want to fly in it. From a mechanical standpoint, that thing is a nightmare. wow.gif

PS: Anyone else think it's funny that the NATO name for that contraption is "Homer"? tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Aug. 20 2002,18:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">PS:  Anyone else think it's funny that the NATO name for that contraption is "Homer"?  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

d'oh!

Ralph is good too... tounge.gif

strange that they didn't call any bomber "bart" , or any AEW "marge"

but i think they choose homer in reference to the author of the illyade and odyssea smile.gif

wow....thats history .... but i cant understand why they called it homer.... i mean its clear why they call an attack chopper apache or cobra... but what has this really large transport chopper to do with homer? i dont see any relations between those 2..can anyone help?