Sign in to follow this  
theOPO

Poorly Optimized in Official Release?

What's going on here? In the beta my gpu usage was 99%, it ran great. Now it doesn't touch 50%.. and runs sluggish at the same settings.

35 fps @ 1080p on the following specs:

i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz (also only uses 25% cpu usage)

Asus gtx 780 dir cu ii (oc'd)

16 gb ddr3 ram 2133mhz

I love this game, but its not playable now...

I'm sorry to tell you, but this game will never get optimized. The engine doesn't even utilized muli-core CPUs. In other words, not matter how many cores you have in your CPU, the game will only use 1 core.

I'm sorry to tell you, but this game will never get optimized. The engine doesn't even utilized muli-core CPUs. In other words, not matter how many cores you have in your CPU, the game will only use 1 core.

this.

That's not true, arma uses 2 core

Switch to other server and set all your graphic settings to ultra, that'll increase the GPU usage.

And my Arma uses all 4 cores, just not efficiently. But I still get 40-60fps in MP.

The problem isn't either the number of cores used... but the fact that the engine is not capable of using them efficiently, most of your PC power is sitting there doing nothing. So having a $600 setup or a $6000 setup doesn't make any difference: the first will do XX fps with his hardware used by 80%, the second will have almost the same fps but with its hardware used by 10%.

Look at this in example:

http://i.imgur.com/ITum6XU.png

A GTX780 (one of the most powerful gfx cards on the market) is doing almost the same fps of a gtx 570 (that is less than half power). You don't notice this behavior in most modern games (even if bad optimized, they scales on powerful hardware), but it's very common for very old games, and this is the reason of why you're having bad performance with your good setup: the game engine is old, designed around old hardware.

LOL is all I can say.

I dont bother playing arma3 tbh there is no point it runs like shit and all ways will.

Yes I have been a fan of BIS since arma 1 dang even OFP but tbh I am getting fed up with this now.

ARMA2 was poor and they admited to not being able to fix it due to engine limitations so why the hell was arma3 released using basically same engine.

THIS WONT BE FIXED AND CANT BE FEW MONTHES TIME A DEV WILL SAY SAME THING SORRY CANT FIX IT ENGINE LIMITATION.

BIS please prove me wrong though please :(

one has to invest time time time to look into that code deeply. thats not done in months that will take years... but both arma and VBS could benefit from this!

I'm new to this series but I guess I'm a little shocked. The PC landscape is usually filled with great developers that constantly fix their issues. This title is incredible for it's detail and size, I would have thought that this iteration would have had this long standing issue resolved.

sorry to hear that, but i can run it stable all ultra, with my already mid end pc corei5 2500k @4,3ght, 12gb ran, nvidia 670gtx 2gb, 128gb ssd.

sorry to hear that, but i can run it stable all ultra, with my already mid end pc corei5 2500k @4,3ght, 12gb ran, nvidia 670gtx 2gb, 128gb ssd.

Can you define "stable"? My game is stable but my FPS is not. What kind of FPS are you experiencing?

Can you define "stable"? My game is stable but my FPS is not. What kind of FPS are you experiencing?

avg 40.

And you can't go above those average fps, neither if you overclock your CPU to 5ghz and you if you install 3 Titans... because the engine is crap. So you're stuck with 40 fps with a hardware capable of doing 150fps... what a shame.

min 30, max 50, avg 40. Don't anyone seriosly think, he can play stable 60fps arma 3 maxed out.

Maxed out? You must be joking. There is no way you're getting 30 FPS MINIMUM with that rig.

i run the game on an alienware m17x r3 laptop (thanks furret:)) and it runs fine min 40F max 70F 1600x800 textures max, objects very high, terrain high, clouds normal, shadows high, aa 2x, ssao disabled, pip disabled

VD 3800 OD 2200. win 7 64bit and the CPU trick to use core 1-7 in task manager. if i use core 0 -7 stuttering is back in game.

with above settings it plays fluid. i killed most background tasks and gpu usage is 100% and it´s now a gtx680m and no ati card anymore cause i had so much stuttering with amd drivers.

Edited by funkotron

one has to invest time time time to look into that code deeply. thats not done in months that will take years... but both arma and VBS could benefit from this!

Well, yeah it takes time, but they have to start somewhere instead of just saying "engine limitation, can't do it".

LOL is all I can say.

I dont bother playing arma3 tbh there is no point it runs like shit and all ways will.

Yes I have been a fan of BIS since arma 1 dang even OFP but tbh I am getting fed up with this now.

ARMA2 was poor and they admited to not being able to fix it due to engine limitations so why the hell was arma3 released using basically same engine.

THIS WONT BE FIXED AND CANT BE FEW MONTHES TIME A DEV WILL SAY SAME THING SORRY CANT FIX IT ENGINE LIMITATION.

BIS please prove me wrong though please :(

unfortunate fact :(

and how many years has BIS known about this? this was a business decision plane and simple...they chose to flog the whore a little more :(

---------- Post added at 02:15 ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 ----------

Maxed out? You must be joking. There is no way you're getting 30 FPS MINIMUM with that rig.

no mav he can, I get 30's but it all goes to shit once core 0 hits %100 local and server side :( I just got a 116FPS ..no joke i was in a staging area on a server waiting for a PvP to start it was about 100 square feet completely closed and my FPS counter was over 100 ...lol s soon as it started and we hit town it dropped to 35...still playable though...no AI and no major scripting and the game is "playable"

maybe he only takes single player into consideration. SP and Mp is a hole different story in Arma... My single player also runs smooth 60s, and multiplayer runs harsh as hell. Unenjoyable so unplayable.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Well, yeah it takes time, but they have to start somewhere instead of just saying "engine limitation, can't do it".

Yeah if they cant do it, why releasing the new title with same limitation of the engine? :D Looks like a shameless money grab.

That's not true, arma uses 2 core

1 core for everything, an extra thread on the second core for sound. meanwhile quad cores became standard 2 years ago.

game runs like dog online. I have everything on standard and sampling to 50% looks like PS2 game.

Gimme some commands to run & switches to flip

evga 660ti sc

AMD Phenom II X6 OC 4.0Ghz

giga 890fx

16 gigs patriot ram

intel SSD 520

soundblaster XFI

15 Mb/sec copper

i lowered many settings and i get 70-35 fps but laggy as hell. and now looks worse than arma 2 with this settings. sorry to say that but traditional bis fps problem is still alive and gets stronger in every further release..

i52500k 4.4 ghx

8 gigs ram

gtx660ti oc'd

i lowered many settings and i get 70-35 fps but laggy as hell. and now looks worse than arma 2 with this settings. sorry to say that but traditional bis fps problem is still alive and gets stronger in every further release..

i52500k 4.4 ghx

8 gigs ram

gtx660ti oc'd

do u have a SSD or mechanical HD?