Sign in to follow this  
dead kennedy

VeteranMod demo release

will this be bouth arma 2 and arma 3 or only one of them i'm this can realy spice up arma 2

will this be bouth arma 2 and arma 3 or only one of them i'm this can realy spice up arma 2

This one - is a demo-version for the ArmA 2. The full version of the mod will be released for the ArmA 3. See some screenshots in our twitter, more screens will be added soon.

Will this also have AI improvements or will it work with mods like TPWCAS?

I think you need some guy what makes some teaser videos. video are very important to take a short look at the mod. You cant try all arma mods, too many of them ;) e.g. a video about the island, a video about the features and a video hollywood style with bam bam explosions ;)

how will you rework the ch-53 and ch-46?

how will you rework the ch-53 and ch-46?

SFC.ITZHAK gave us his models but they require some improvements.

btw, when it's done, is it possible that you release the ch-53 and ch-46 as standalone ?

I don't think so, we only have permission to implement them.

Edited by Leet

Hi, loving the MOD.

In your sample SP missions, the second one, ? "Village Clearance"? will not start.

It says, "deleted vtn_ammo box" or something like that about ammo cache or box.

I do see about 6 ammo pbo's in the addons folder.

Cheers

Hi, loving the MOD.

In your sample SP missions, the second one, ? "Village Clearance"? will not start.

It says, "deleted vtn_ammo box" or something like that about ammo cache or box.

I do see about 6 ammo pbo's in the addons folder.

Cheers

Have you installed the hotfix?

lovely!

You stand there with _nohq, or you plan to build a little more?

you should really lay off the flippin' self-extracting archive bullshit and start uploading separate files as means of updating the mod. I'm afraid I'll just go insane if I have to download the whole 1.4 GB again

you should really lay off the flippin' self-extracting archive bullshit and start uploading separate files as means of updating the mod. I'm afraid I'll just go insane if I have to download the whole 1.4 GB again

That was the way(Yoma) how we updated closed-alpha. We don't have a server at the moment to host Yoma there.

List of equipment.

EQUIPMENT:

VTN_EQUIP_KEPIRFA - Cap VSR-98

VTN_EQUIP_KEPIRFB - Cap EMR Summer

VTN_EQUIP_HELMRF - Helmet 6B26 VSR-98

VTN_EQUIP_HELMRF1 - Helmet 6B26 EMR Summer

VTN_EQUIP_HELMRF2 - Protect helmet 6B6

VTN_EQUIP_HELMRF3 - Protect helmet 6B6-Z

VTN_EQUIP_HELMRF4 - Tank helmet TSh-4M (desert)

VTN_EQUIP_HELMRF5 - Tank helmet TSh-4M (black)

VTN_EQUIP_HATRF1 - Helmet cap (camo)

VTN_EQUIP_HATRF2 - Helmet cap (black)

VTN_EQUIP_HATRF3 - Beret (dark)

VTN_EQUIP_MASK - Mask

VTN_EQUIP_ARMBAND - Armband (white)

VTN_EQUIP_GOGGLESP - Tactical goggles

VTN_EQUIP_LBVESTRF1 - Assault Vest 6Sh92 VSR-98 for AK/RPK

VTN_EQUIP_LBVESTRF2 - Assault Vest 6Sh92 VSR-98 for AK/RPK/GP

VTN_EQUIP_LBVESTRF3 - Assault Vest 6Sh104 VSR-98 for AK/GP

VTN_EQUIP_LBVESTRF4 - Assault Vest 6Sh104 VSR-98 for SVD/SV

VTN_EQUIP_LBVESTRF5 - Assault Vest 6Sh104 VSR-98 for PKM/PKP

VTN_EQUIP_BPVEST - Tactical Vest 6B23 EMR

VTN_EQUIP_BPVEST2 - Tactical Vest 6B23 Flora

VTN_EQUIP_BPVEST3 - Buletproof vest Kora-Kulon EMR

VTN_Equip_CapUS1 - USMC Cap

VTN_Equip_HatUS1 - Boonie Hat

VTN_EQUIP_LBVESTUS1 - Tactical Vest MTV Coyote Brown for M4/M16

VTN_EQUIP_LBVESTUS2 - Tactical Vest MTV Coyote Brown for М4/М16/М203

VTN_EQUIP_LBVESTUS3 - Tactical Vest MTV Coyote Brown for М240/М249

VTN_EQUIP_HELMUS - Helmet LWH MARPAT Woodland

VTN_EQUIP_HELMUS2 - Helmet LWH MARPAT Desert

VTN_EQUIP_HELMUS3 - CVC Helmet DH-132A

VTN_EQUIP_LBVEST1 - Chest Rig ChiCom (Type 63)

Still missing few items from demo.

Edited by Leet

ho-kay. spent an hour trying this mod out. and my first impressions: this mod is not suited for COOP play against AI. the AI already has an advantage, and removing things like zoom/ability to strafe etc. makes it even harder to play against them. I don't know what kind of monitor do you guys expect us to have, but on my 23 inches with 1920 x 1080 resolution I can't make out people in the distance on Beketov, where there's vegetation everywhere and you can hardly tell the difference between a rock and a soldier.

in your quest for ultra-realism you seem to have forgotten that Arma 2 is a video game with low-polygon models and low-fidelity textures. it's near impossible to spot enemies at distances longer than 100 meters. since in Arma 2 only those live that spot their target first, and AI soldiers are a lot better at that than players, having a fixed zoomed-out view makes it near impossible to survive long range engagements.

it's my opinion that while trying to make the game more realistic you just made it even harder to play, to the point of frustration.

I do like the revamped inventory management system, but I have to wonder what purpose it serves if you're planning to move development over to Arma 3 which already has such a system in place out of the box. waste of effort if you ask me.

the medical system I didn't even touch. IMO both PR and ACE have unnecessarily complicated mechanics of treating wounded players. it's just a lot of busywork that adds little to the game itself in terms of enjoyment. of course, what we have in vanilla A2 and A3 is still worse... so while I can understand the need to improve the existing system(s), I just don't want to have to deal with it if it's even more complex than that of ACE.

as for new assets available with the demo I can't say I'm impressed. a lot of work went into modeling and animation, but it still looks very rough, so I won't make my judgement just yet. I just hope you'll make better models for Arma 3.

I really wanted to try this mod out, mainly because of the new inventory management system. but now that Arma 3 is out, it becomes a moot point. and since there are no PvP modes made for this mod yet, there's really not a lot you can do with it right now.

bottom line: it is very difficult to enjoy your demo (after years of playing with ACE, none of my friends liked VTN for the reasons stated above), but it shows some promise and depending on how development goes the full version could turn out to be something worthwhile.

I'm sure there are things in this version that work "under the hood", that are supposed to enhance the experience of playing Arma. but on the surface it doesn't look very good.

ho-kay. spent an hour trying this mod out. and my first impressions: this mod is not suited for COOP play against AI. the AI already has an advantage, and removing things like zoom/ability to strafe etc. makes it even harder to play against them. I don't know what kind of monitor do you guys expect us to have, but on my 23 inches with 1920 x 1080 resolution I can't make out people in the distance on Beketov, where there's vegetation everywhere and you can hardly tell the difference between a rock and a soldier.

in your quest for ultra-realism you seem to have forgotten that Arma 2 is a video game with low-polygon models and low-fidelity textures. it's near impossible to spot enemies at distances longer than 100 meters. since in Arma 2 only those live that spot their target first, and AI soldiers are a lot better at that than players, having a fixed zoomed-out view makes it near impossible to survive long range engagements.

Mod is oriented to PvP not PvE but at the same time during our internal tests we played mostly Co-Ops and had no problems with fighting against AI. (24 inch 1920x1080px)

I do like the revamped inventory management system, but I have to wonder what purpose it serves if you're planning to move development over to Arma 3 which already has such a system in place out of the box. waste of effort if you ask me.

A3 doesn't have inventory system like ours it only gives you ability to change your looks.

the medical system I didn't even touch. IMO both PR and ACE have unnecessarily complicated mechanics of treating wounded players. it's just a lot of busywork that adds little to the game itself in terms of enjoyment. of course, what we have in vanilla A2 and A3 is still worse... so while I can understand the need to improve the existing system(s), I just don't want to have to deal with it if it's even more complex than that of ACE.

Healing system is quite simple and rises importance of having medic/corpsman because he IS qualified to provide immediate help to wounded.

Mod is oriented to PvP not PvE but at the same time during our internal tests we played mostly Co-Ops and had no problems with fighting against AI. (24 inch 1920x1080px)

let's put it this way: Arma 2 already has a steep learning curve. and you're just making it even harder. your perception is altered because you've been playing this mod for a long time. you regard the zoom as a "cheat" when in reality it just sets the zoom level to normal, being zoomed out whenever you're not aiming down the sight. playing VTN is like looking through the wrong end of a set of binoculars. yes, you can get used to it. but why would you want to? that's not realistic in my opinion. that's just removing good features from the game for the sake of removing something.

A3 doesn't have inventory system like ours it only gives you ability to change your looks.

that's a pretty ignorant statement, considering how equipment in Arma 3 dictates how much you can carry. it is currently out of whack with its values, I'll give you that. but the way it works is very similar to how VTN seems to work (can't carry extra magazines if you don't have a harness on etc.).

We also tested this mod with help from other players/squads from Weekly Open Games who didn't played it for a while as devs did. I their opinion removing of "zoom" was a very good idea because it's increases level of communication, prolongs fire-fights, brings fire-fights to more realistic distances, increases tension in forests etc.

In A3 you still can carry MG belt/box in pouches for assault rifle mags.

Edited by Leet

let's put it this way: Arma 2 already has a steep learning curve. and you're just making it even harder.

It is their prerogative, since it is their mod.

your perception is altered because you've been playing this mod for a long time. you regard the zoom as a "cheat" when in reality it just sets the zoom level to normal, being zoomed out whenever you're not aiming down the sight. playing VTN is like looking through the wrong end of a set of binoculars. yes, you can get used to it. but why would you want to? that's not realistic in my opinion. that's just removing good features from the game for the sake of removing something.

at the very least, it prolongs firefights.

that's a pretty ignorant statement, considering how equipment in Arma 3 dictates how much you can carry. it is currently out of whack with its values, I'll give you that. but the way it works is very similar to how VTN seems to work (can't carry extra magazines if you don't have a harness on etc.).

I am certain that the system has been in development before the release of A3 alpha, hence the reason why it is here, for the A2.

after years of playing with ACE

Since VTN and ACE may seem very similar to each other, there is some fundamental ideological differences.

At first - VTN was made to simulate combined arms combat in accordance with field manuals of both sides. We try to provide experience of the large scale missions, where the main role is played by the group weapons (MG, sniper rifles), maneuver and concentrated fire of the whole squad/section. Yes, separate rifleman does not mean absolutely nothing and will be quickly pwned by the organized unit of players or AI. This is the truth. This is the only faith of the lonely cowboy in the VTN. You should not even try to set player against the whole AI squad and click them down with your LMB. This will not work :)

Try to play some coop party with 5-7 friends, evade enemies, outflank them, pull them down with a concentrated fire, and you will see the diffirence. And you'll see the true way, which VTN is meant-to-be-played. There is no crutches that forces players to work together - no "roles", no artifical squads, no radars-in-the-eye-which-shows-frends or e t.c.. Co-operate or the more organized force will own you - that's all :p

At second - we are very careful about the balance of the sides. We believe that the balance - it was artificial value, which should be used with caution. Both sides (BLU and RED) have advantages and disadvantages IRL. BLU side is well equiped with scopes, NVG, thermal visions, blue4 officers haves the battle experience in the middle-east conflicts. In the other hand, they operate in hostile territory, forced to think about supplying their troops, finally - the marines has mainly the light vehicles. The Russian mechanized troops (represented by fiction 29'th guards Motorized rifle brigade) haves their own features - red personnel are less trained, but the Russia has many special units operating in the Beketov area (IRL in Russia is realy lot of different "Spetsnatz" units per km^2 which are not formally belong to the army - Police, Internal troops, FSB, FSO, FSKN, GUIN, FSSP, FUBAR... These structures are not regulated by international conventions on the number of ground forces, but trained and equipped well and in case of the war obviously will act on their territory). Red vehicles are more powerful, but are very vulnerable at night, red troops gets supply and intel from the local population, and so on.

As you see, VTN gameplay is not hardly balanced (like the ArmA 3 for example), but there is no imbalance like in OA-vanilla or the ACE. VTN - is no kind of beating the savages with high-tech laser guns in the easy and funny coop mission. No. We try to keep the fragile asymmetric balance of two powerful sides. The lack of zoom and increased role of the optics, collimators and machine guns - is only tip of the iceberg.

So. I hope I have explained the radical difference that distinguishes VTN gameplay from the vanilla an the other overhaul mods, the community used to.

The only true way to gain experience of the VTN - is abstract from the previous experience in ArmA 2, ACE, SLX, e.t.c.. And imagine that you first started OFP in 2001... This is the most frequent feedback, which we received from beta testers :)

Edited by Dead Kennedy

at the very least, it prolongs firefights.

well, in my book that's a bad thing, so ... yeah :j: