Sign in to follow this  
GrindedCorpse

Unrealistic weapons damage

I'm not. I checked that out and a soldier takes three 6.5mm bullets from MX to the torso and four to the legs to die. And that's from 5m away where the velocity of the bullet is at its maximum. This is also a veteran difficulty where extended armor cannot be enabled to begin with.

So yeah another bulletpoint on the dumbing down list.

I'm not. I checked that out and a soldier takes three 6.5mm bullets from MX to the torso and four to the legs to die. And that's from 5m away where the velocity of the bullet is at its maximum. This is also a veteran difficulty where extended armor cannot be enabled to begin with.

So yeah another bulletpoint on the dumbing down list.

Was he wearing a vest? I get conflicting reports on whether it makes a difference, but who knows?

Also,just a small thing, too much velocity can be a bad thing, as the round simply fragments on impact. Very useful against unarmored targets, but no so much against heavier armor.

There's no armor simulation in ArmA3 (despite this feature being in the hype 2 years ago). It's just a plain 100 hp system with damage modifiers a la BF3 based on where you shoot a guy.

Since you still die from hand and leg shots, just +1 more of them than the torso.

Edited by metalcraze

To the OP.

An shot to the head, helmet or not would kill you either way tbh...

Helmets arnt really deigned to take direct hits rather they are designed to protect you against shrapnel.. .falling debris or if your lucky reflect a round that hits at an angel...

A 5.56 round to the chest would put pretty much put anyone on the floor too so pretty much everything to do with ballistics/weapon damage is crap, Thats what ACE or MODS are for :P

To the OP.

An shot to the head, helmet or not would kill you either way tbh...

Helmets arnt really deigned to take direct hits rather they are designed to protect you against shrapnel.. .falling debris or if your lucky reflect a round that hits at an angel...

A 5.56 round to the chest would put pretty much put anyone on the floor too so pretty much everything to do with ballistics/weapon damage is crap, Thats what ACE or MODS are for :P

I'm expecting things to be realistic from the start.

And yes, a 5.56 round would put anybody on the floor... even a 9mm round to the chest would put you on the floor. (if not, you'd pretty much be in pain due to impact itself.)

I'm expecting things to be realistic from the start.

And yes, a 5.56 round would put anybody on the floor... even a 9mm round to the chest would put you on the floor. (if not, you'd pretty much be in pain due to impact itself.)

Yes and no, do a search for 5.56 and ineffective, there are many people who say that the rounds aren't. I remember reading Blackhawk Down and one of the main interviewe's in that made the point that they would regularly hit the enemy, they were close enough to see the impacts and the targets continued to moving as if uneffected. This has also been reported from Afghanistan. Everyone hit by a bullet responds differently.

The current damage system is a cheap workaround.

A proper damage system must be introduced.

The engine assumes all units wear heavy body armours. (yes..head too)

I think we can mod a "real" bodyarmour mod that responds differently in certain calibers..and simulate the 'dynamics' of bullet

impact on body (IF you wear the wearable item bodyarmour xyz).

After that we need proper wounds (i think we will see something similar modded in time..)

Until then..you can combine TMR and TPW_Fall mods for more appropriate damage and somewhat physX reaction to bullets

but..i m not sure if this will work on MP environment.

The current damage system is a cheap workaround.

A proper damage system must be introduced.

The engine assumes all units wear heavy body armours. (yes..head too)

I think we can mod a "real" bodyarmour mod that responds differently in certain calibers..and simulate the 'dynamics' of bullet

impact on body (IF you wear the wearable item bodyarmour xyz).

After that we need proper wounds (i think we will see something similar modded in time..)

Until then..you can combine TMR and TPW_Fall mods for more appropriate damage and somewhat physX reaction to bullets

but..i m not sure if this will work on MP environment.

well, if it's what it takes to achieve realism in this game, I suppose it'll be better than nothing -_-

Would you mind telling me where does it say that Arma 3 is a Military Sim? Cuz I can't find it in any official information. In fact developers when asked if Arma its a MilSim they say that its a game, not a simulator ( unlike VBS ).

On the other hand, I agree with you, right now damage system needs some review ( specially headshoots ).

http://koti.mbnet.fi/aop13/arma3notsim.png

This was something I was thinking about yesterday, I have been playing the series since before Arma was Arma and was OFP.. Anyways, it seems to me that all of the bullets are exactly the same no matter the caliber and it also seems dynamics aren't modeled ie) bullets fly straight no matter what and no drop across the map. Also very little retical/site shake from shots at long distances (that's plain wrong). I've shot people like 5-6 times before they dropped, just seems really strange and off to me. This game would be much more fun and challenging with added realism; I mean this is ARMA after all not Battlefield series.

Let's just buy Call of Duty at this point.

What's quite ironic is that everyone rags on CoD (myself included from time to time) but on Hardcore mode, the damage is pretty much 'one shot one kill', even with pistolas!

BF's hardcore mode was good until BF3, then they changed it so ranked servers could not adjust damage and 'hardcore' is not really that hardcore, usually requiring multiple bullets from heavy weapons to put someone down.

One thing I look forward to in Takedown: Red Sabre is that the project lead said one of his biggest peeves is when he gets the drop on someone, shoots them and then has them turn around and kill him.

I absolutely cannot stand gameplay like that, and I'm hoping we see a resurgence of R6/GR type damage in tactical shooters/'simulations' ;)

As far as A3 goes, I've put 5+ rounds into AI/players with the 'Rook'/'P09' and they just turn around unfazed, firing HAKS (Hyper Accurate Kill Shots).

Edited by BangTail

What's quite ironic is that everyone rags on CoD (myself included from time to time) but on Hardcore mode, the damage is pretty much 'one shot one kill', even with pistolas!

BF's hardcore mode was good until BF3, then they changed it so ranked servers could not adjust damage and 'hardcore' is not really that hardcore, usually requiring multiple bullets from heavy weapons to put someone down.

One thing I look forward to in Takedown: Red Sabre is that the project lead said one of his biggest peeves is when he gets the drop on someone, shoots them and then has them turn around and kill him.

I absolutely cannot stand gameplay like that, and I'm hoping we see a resurgence of R6/GR type damage in tactical shooters/'simulations' ;)

As far as A3 goes, I've put 5+ rounds into AI/players with the 'Rook'/'P09' and they just turn around unfazed, firing HAKS (Hyper Accurate Kill Shots).

You're missing the point...

We shouldn't have to play some mods to access realism in Arma, it should be there from the start.

I'm not asking for guts to spill or brain matter on the walls here... all I'm asking for is to stop picturing deadly death machines as nerf guns.

Again... I understand that if you're wearing a kevlar/flak jacket, bullets and explosives damage will be mitigated but ... I doubt you'll survive being hit by a 20mm projectile anyway.

(Flak jacket will probably save your life if you take indirect fire from a 40mm but again, I doubt it'll do you any good if you take one directly in the face, at which point, you should just vanish ;) )

At the moment, it's not the case... weapons are seriously underpowered/balanced and that shouldn't even be the case.

I want the people at BIS to go buy some human analogs and start testing what these weapons do to a human body so that they can gather accurate data for their models.

I'm no homicidal maniac, all I want is to play a realistic game.

I don't want no hollywood bullshit where everybody is armored like a tank.

I think you misread my post or meant to reply to someone else.

I never said you should have to use mods and I agree that the damage in A3 leaves much to be desired.

I think you misread my post or meant to reply to someone else.

I never said you should have to use mods and I agree that the damage in A3 leaves much to be desired.

I know you didn't ... I was just expressing an opinion.

Wasn't directed at you personally.

The game on expert with no body armour still at distance doesn't kill, it's my only gripe with the game as it kills the immersion. If you get shot your going to fall to the ground, if its in the head your dead. The bullets are weak long range, feels like airsoft to be honest at times. The lynx is a different story it kills at any range.

Depend on your understanding of what "Sim" means. Arma 3 is realistic and around 90% of player would want it to remain realistic and avoid any form of arcadic "balance" as there are hundreds of games that have that already.

Also to the person who started the thread, do you have extended armor on? Is on by default. Go to CONFIGURE -> GAME -> DIFFIULTY -> Extended Armor -> Disabled.

Count me in to this category. It's the main reason I CAME to Arma (and really like it so far excepting a few issues like limited content, bugginess, etc.) from the Battlefield franchise in the first place.

Yeah, people need to fall down like 60% of the time, when they're hit.

It's awful when I land a shot on an enemy's torso at 100m, and he calmly shrugs it off and kills me.

Yeah, people need to fall down like 60% of the time, when they're hit.

It's awful when I land a shot on an enemy's torso at 100m, and he calmly shrugs it off and kills me.

It's even worse when you see him getting hit 3 times, he turns around, aims for 0.2 seconds and headshots you.

1 shot should incapacitate at the least, second/third shot definately kill.

It's even worse when you see him getting hit 3 times, he turns around, aims for 0.2 seconds and headshots you.

The disappointment when that happens....

"A good soldier is fast, exact and effective with his weapon, each of which features realistic ballistics and handling in Arma 3" - ballistics INCLUDE damage, so another lie in arma3.com

I don't know if you guys know this, but I think the problem might be that you are not even hitting your target

Hitting people in the head usually kills them instantly. If it hits Night vision goggles, no damage at all.

I can literally empty 200 round belt to a guys chest and he's not dying. Why? In A3 the weapon will stop bullets, not the vest

When you hear the loud *BANG* sound when you hit someone, he didn't take any damage, you hit his weapon or night vision goggles.

Multiple times I've been sucking multiple 6.5mm rounds and just barely survive it, that usually happens when you don't hit your targets in the head or chest. Shooting legs and arms is not effective.

Other times I kill and get killed with one single good hit from 6.5mm.

Don't aim at the gun or NVG.

I fully agree: The weapondamage is much to weak and that feels rather weird right now.

Furthermore it seems like vests and equipment provide no noticable protection.

I used a standard 9mm pistol and fired at both a civilian (civlian clothing only) and a fully equiped friendly soldier (with vest). For both of them I needed 5 !!! sucessful hits to the torso at point blank range, to drop them.

(extended Armor was disabled of course)

I fully agree: The weapondamage is much to weak and that feels rather weird right now.

Furthermore it seems like vests and equipment provide no noticable protection.

I used a standard 9mm pistol and fired at both a civilian (civlian clothing only) and a fully equiped friendly soldier (with vest). For both of them I needed 5 !!! sucessful hits to the torso at point blank range, to drop them.

(extended Armor was disabled of course)

Todays patch should have fixed civilian damage. 1 5.56mm should kill Civ.