Sign in to follow this  
cifordayzserver

SMD_Sara_A2 Full Sahrani Map Port - Initial Release

Unfortunately we felt the interior wasn't up to par so we pulled them off the island. They need to be completely redone.

However currently we've sorta moved on to an a3 project tho that particular building may fit into our a3 terrain. If so I will most likely redo it. And if that's the case it may find its way onto sahrani :)

I noticed that in A2, the AI never use the bridge at Obregan. I placed vehicles on the road south of the bridge and gave them a waypoint with safe mode on the north side and they just drive off into the canyon.

Yeah, not sure. I just checked it out too, and even if you put the squad leader on the bridge and "trick" him into following the waypoints on the bridge the rest of his team won't follow. I know bridges are a bitch for AI in general, and I noticed that bridge is not 100pct lined up, so it may be one of those two factors? I'll talk to M1lkm8n about it.

I really love this map, you guys took a great map and not only ported it perfectly, but improved it with tons of little details. The only criticism I have is that some of the buildings have glitchy shadows.

Figured I'd poke around YouTube a bit and see if anyone's playing the terrain.... and WOW, these guys are making some GREAT vids! Love to see folks stretching their legs on the terrain!

Big Thanks to Apollo and Arkaman

Great Work! Check out their vids!

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

These are the exact sort of missions we had in mind when opening up the buildings!

The southern cities and Rahmadi would be ideal, since those have the highest percentages of our opened buildings, but we've ensured every city has a MUCH higher percentage of enterable buildings than in A1 Sahrani.

Looks like an awesome job ALiVE crew too, I gotta check it out!!!

Well, it's WIP, but I created a new building from one of M1lkm8n's finished ones.

Once I finish it, M1lkm8n will walk me through putting it down on the terrain in Visitor.

That building should make Rahmadi 100 percent enterable, and most of the Southern cities as well.

I'm getting SORT OF comfortable in O2, so after I'm done with this I'm going to try to do this building:

http://i.imgur.com/1SBLo26.jpg (168 kB)

There are 4 versions of that building and 2 more that have another 2 floors on top. It will be easy to mirror/cut/copy/paste all 6 versions once one of the tall ones is done.

I'm also fairly sure I'll be able to use that fire escape stairwell to fix the previously done Apartment building's floorplan/layout. Edited by CiforDayZServer

Spent some more time on the building, actually re-did it from scratch again with the lessons I picked up doing it the 1st time. It's MUCH cleaner now. Pretty much done, just has a few issues with the ShadowLOD I can't seem to iron out, and I'm doing some experiments with the resolution lods, I think if I make the first and second ones 0.100 and 0.200 instead of 1.000 and 2.000 it will allow the client to draw a much less complex model within cities which should hopefully be a big boost to performance in cities and approaching them I think... we'll see.

I'm recording all the work on my twitch stream and will do a tutorial on it so others can see that working with existing models isn't as nightmarish as starting from scratch.

Here's an updated video with intro/credits/music:

First post in the thread:

1. Where is the link to the download?

2. Are there any requirements?

3. I have A2 and OA as separate installs. Will it work for me?

First post in the thread:

1. Where is the link to the download? -In the first post under "Download Links" Spolier

2. Are there any requirements? - No

3. I have A2 and OA as separate installs. Will it work for me? Not entirely sure, but I have CD installs of A2, and A2OA they were separate so assume it should be fine

The Lite Version should run in AiA and A3MP better than the full package, since the full package includes units and vehicles that will not function properly in Arma 3.

For A2OA though the full package is much better, it has quite a few units and vehicles.

Well, now that I'm more comfortable in O2, I started having a go at opening up that Large 7 story building there are so many variants of, it's coming along really quickly, I've got the whole stairwell done with doors leading out to every floor, the roof, and the back exit. The textures will need to get cleaned up, but it's coming along nicely, and it's a matter of doing one floor well, then copy/pasting that down each floor. Only the ground floor will be arranged differently.

Here's a peek at it in O2 with the stairs:

8Kbfg.png

While working on the Sahrani apartment buildings I got a little overwhelmed, so I decided to go for some seriously low hanging fruit.

The Panalek buildings are the brick apartment buildings, there is a 2 story (with 2 enterable rooms (1 per side, per floor)), a 4 story with 4 enterable rooms, and then the 8 story one that only has an elevator shaft. So what I did was "finish" the 2 story building so that all the rooms are enterable:

I believe I need to adjust the fire lod a bit but that's it.

I made named selections for the rooms, and then later the hallways, and have gotten the 8 story version 90 percent done:

http://puu.sh/8LEGu.png (126 kB)

The 4 story one should be even easier, once the 8 is done.

I've moved the elevator shaft to the back of the building, I'm going to have a little hallway that leads to it, and MAYBE have outlets out to each floor from there as well, but it came together pretty quickly, I just need to tighten up the seams and then do the GEO lod.

@CiforDayZServer Let me know if you'd like to incorporate an elevator in the 7 story building, I've one created and working for ArmA 2, and have been working on updating the scripting. This is the same elevator I've talked to Bracer about, so he can use it to put in his skyscrapers he's working on.

@CiforDayZServer Let me know if you'd like to incorporate an elevator in the 7 story building, I've one created and working for ArmA 2, and have been working on updating the scripting. This is the same elevator I've talked to Bracer about, so he can use it to put in his skyscrapers he's working on.

Sure, that sounds great! The only thing that might be of concern for you (or not) is that we share EVERYTHING totally openly. So if you're fine with the end result building being open source, I'd love to integrate the elevator.

Here's a quick test I did after getting the 8 story building MOSTLY done. There are quite a few missing textures, and the Geo, fire, view, and shadow lod all need adjustments:

BUT, I dropped 100 of them on the NWAF runway, and flew/ran around a bit. I got as good/better FPS as I do in any city in Chernarus, so I THINK they should be fine in terms of lag, even in high number. We'll see once I get my feet wet in Visitor and do some experiments with them ALL OVER the map.... just for testing.

It's certainly no work or art, or anywhere near the added features of M1lkm8n's buildings but I figured breaking glass in these might be a bit excessive, although I will likely at some point play with it and see if it's do-able. The doors will also eventually all open/close. I think I've figured out how to create a small lobby/hallway for the elevator shaft to let out onto every floor, but I'm not 100 percent sure yet.

Plans for the future now that M1lkm8n is onto Jalalabad (CHECK IT OUT):

I will do one more "standard" update to the A2 version of the map; adding these 4 new buildings, and MAYBE the other 6 I'm working on.... Then I will work on adding the LODs for A3 to ALL the buildings we've done, and then porting the map to A3 fully.

Once that's done, I plan on starting to heavily edit the map. I would like to do "United Sahrani" versions for both A2 and A3, with a bit more detail than BI did in the DLC (remove all the propaganda poster and statues in the North, remove/replace all the bombed/burned out buildings, Corazol DMZ, tank traps, and wrecks, and add all the feature buildings (Sawmill, & TV Station) and de-militarize the Cabo Santa Lucia outpost into a quarry.... however that might get back burnered/not done... Although I THINK, I should be able to do it in stages, as I want my "dream" Sahrani to look like a natural evolution of United Sahrani.

What I'd REALLY like to do; is a completely original Sahrani of the Future. Picture 7-20 years of rapid expansion and growth enabled by the oil rich South peace with the North and prolonged American presence/involvement. All the Cities and towns expanded, oil/gas refinery and major tanker port in the south, expanded logging, and mining and a major dry cargo port in the north.

First things first though, gotta button up these buildings, lay them down, and get moving on an A3 port of this version of the terrain.

I have been playing a bit with a system that allows for so far, ANY number of floors...

Here's a 100+ story building on the NWAF. All floors are enterable, I haven't gotten the roadway or geolods in yet so I haven't gone inside or to the top.

Obviously this was just for fun, but I'm going to play with the concept in order to make the map more varied though.

qtFRBDr.png

I think I'm going to NEED that elevator lol:

What are the door names for the 'hanger' building? I have a code to close doors but I need the door name for it to work. :(

What are the door names for the 'hanger' building? I have a code to close doors but I need the door name for it to work. :(

The hanger doors work off a series of "doors" door1-6, the side doors are door8,9,10,11

If your wondering why I skipped 7 that is the control panel inside the hanger

Can't wait for this to be released for A3 :) Thank you for all your work!!

I have to apologize for the drop off in updates and progress, I've had my attention elsewhere.

I spent some time tonight figuring out what's left on the 4 buildings I've done. I should be able to get those squared away in my spare time over the next few weeks, then I'll place them on the terrain.

Once that's done, I will move on to getting all the buildings set for A3, THEN work on the rest of the objects, it's a ton of work, so I should only be able to gauge a timeline after doing the buildings for A3.

Eventually yes, I plan on converting all the buildings, and terrain objects so they have physx lods and do a full dedicated build for Arma 3, this will take quite a while though.

Congratulations on the work that you have created and released so far. I look forward to seeing more of this project in the future. Thank you for sharing.:)

I actually had a post typed up explaining the few issues that were left with the 8 story version of the Panelak building... saw how small it was, and skipped playing with a buddy to finish it up.

It is ALL done. I just need to move the closet doors I moved out of the way roughly, that will take 2 seconds. Next is swapping them out on the terrain, which may take some time, or may go very fast.

M1lkm8n has been an ENORMOUS help, really holding my hand through the modelling and helping me through all the issues I bump into.

MAKE SURE you check out HIS YOUTUBE CHANNEL he's always updating videos of his modelling work for A3 Jalalabad he's doing with SmokeDog!

With no further delay, fully enterable, 8 story apartment buildings, there are 15 or so of them in Chernogorsk and I didn't notice any significant performance hit.