Sign in to follow this  
NeoArmageddon

Attaching explosives to a vehicle

Heyho,

some month ago I began working on a mod about attaching satchels to vehicles, objects, terrain and even units. I just ported my script over to ArmA3 and this was the result:

Current Features:

• Attaching explosive charges to everything with a GeoLOD
  • Plug and play - mechanics replace the vanilla "Put Satchel"-action
  • Clientside + ServerKeys (to prevent cheating)
  • Works in Multiplayer. No locality problems since attachto and vanilla satchelhandling is MP friendly

ToDo:

• Rotating placed satchels back towards the vehicle
  • Improving the placement on terrain (the satchel floats ~5cm above the ground).
  • Fancy Icons

Alpha Version 0.1 for testing and feedback (and not finished):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8uc2n7bxbzdzkz/%40at_satchel.rar

What do you guys think about the idea?

Edited by NeoArmageddon

What do you guys think about the idea?

in my opinion, only good can come from being able to attach explosives to moving objects :D

and you shouldn't care, if there are other scripts that do that. variation is good. there are always details that set personal work apart and some people might like your approach more than another just because of personal taste.

I really like the way of attach explovises on vehicles,walls in BF3. But dunno know how BIS had never achieved this.

I am using a raytrace technique for finding the position to attach the satchel:

But has anybody an idea to calculate the orientation of the vehicles surface/boundingbox?

ah i think you are using the same method as i did in my private script. you are continuously shooting short rays that move forward aren't you? and when one hits you have the pos.

you are continuously shooting short rays that move forward aren't you? and when one hits you have the pos.

Jep, that the method I am using, basically. I plan to release the raycast as function-libary addon, too.

The script can be used for simulating lasers too. Scruffy and I made a laserrifle deathmatch some time ago :D

Has anybody an idea, if the vanilla ArmA2/3 laser calculates the impact point? This could be a far more efficient way for raycasting.

boundingBoxReal might help?

Yeah, I already thought about it, but the boudningbox contains the extremal dimension of the model. The GeoLOD could be more complex. And facing in completely different directions than the boundingbox.

Cool, I like it. Also I noticed someone did something similar on armaholics

It's similar but not the same.I am not exchanging the default actions nor I'm wrapping the satchel placing. My addons replaces the default placing algorithm with the LOS-attach-script. That means the satchels stays the same object. It's not replaced by a dummy and there are no additional "trigger/timer" scripts involved. Trigger and timer is still vanilla, only the satchel object gets attached to something.

You can't compare this with a "vehicle addaction ["Attach Satchel","my_satchel_script.sqf"]" script for missions. It's something completely different (and it's only possible because BIS changed the satchel object handling in A3).

Is that possible that this could be used as an addon instead of a script?

Is that possible that this could be used as an addon instead of a script?

Actually, it is an addon.

Drop it in your addon folder and every satchel has this "attach it, where you look at"-mechanic

Cool, I like it. Also I noticed someone did something similar on armaholics http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=23723

i don't really think it matters, if there are other scripts like this. what difference does it make? the idea is very old (arma 1 or even ofp?). and ideas are the easy part. getting shit done is what counts;) i'm working on a little mod with lots of features that have been done. some of them i started working on before and some after others released their stuff. i do it all to learn stuff and have fun and not as a competition who makes something first. and if anything is open source all the time, it's ideas.

i don't really think it matters, if there are other scripts like this. what difference does it make?

It shouldn't make any difference in terms of finishing this mod. It might make a difference in terms of direction or features. Personally I like to see what other people have done. I might draw influence from it or it might even make me take a whole new direction.

It was just an FYI since it wasn't on the BI forum :)

Actually, it is an addon.

Drop it in your addon folder and every satchel has this "attach it, where you look at"-mechanic

Is that possible that this could be used as a script instead of an addon?? :D

Is that possible that this could be used as a script instead of an addon?? :D

Yes, this is also possible :D

We testet the addon yesterday on our multiplayer server and everything seems to work as expected. Only thing that bugs me: The rotation of the explosives on vehicles and surfaces.

We also got some new ideas: Attaching flashlights and smokegrenades to vehicles and persons. But "Throw" is different to "Put" so I need another technique for that.

I also like the idea to attach claymores to a vehicles front-bumper and driving through the enemy lines.

I also like the idea to attach claymores to a vehicles front-bumper and driving through the enemy lines.

There's something just hilarious about that lol (in a good way) Keep it up man. I've always wanted to attach explosives to vehicles especially in MP. I did it back in ArmA 1 the mod was able to work in vanilla MP servers. I attached a satchel to a T72 waiting for an unsuspecting enemy player to jump in. Which one did and as soon as he started the engine touch off* He got pretty pissed after that. So I'm looking forward to doing this all again in ArmA 3 :D

Is it possible to do this from underwater? Ie charges on the bottom of a speedboat?

I think so. If you can place satchel unterwater in vanilla, you can attach a satchel from underwater to a boot.

I think so. If you can place satchel unterwater in vanilla

and there is your problem. i did this the same as you in my script and had to find out that not only is the player unable to place sachtels under water, you will also have problems with the intersect commands under water. i ended up using boundingbox and scripted sachtels. but i'm sure there are better ways to solve under water palcement.

you will also have problems with the intersect commands under water.

Is terrainIntersect intersecting with water? If not, my script should work (can't test at the moment).

hm. that one should work since, yea, terrain. i was talking about attaching to vehciles from under water though. but glad to hear that you have a good solution. can't wait to test.