Sign in to follow this  
toiletguy

Improving Ragdoll

A simple way to get rid of the weird poses syndrome would be to add a bit of random force in one random direction to simulate reacting to the impact. (randomized to prevent samey-feeling ragdolls, you know those t-poses from some games...)

A Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm style 'soft' animation would be great, and Euphoria is on my dream list (for every game that involves ragdolls really, but it'd be especially awesome if BIS went straight from zero to hero in this area of the game)

I think that now its beta, nothing major will change, only tweaking but not re-writing, if that happened though id be very happy. I said in an earlier post about lack of/no animations leading into and out of ragdoll effects where appropriate so I whole heartedly agree with dsi24. Its looks very basic without them.

Edited by Bigpickle

What rag doll ? The effect is hardly noticeable although it looked pretty cool when I shot someone off a lighthouse once.

Example- throw 3 grenades at your feet and nothing happens except you die of course.

In general the physics in the the beta seem very toned down to me.

---------- Post added at 00:38 ---------- Previous post was at 00:31 ----------

I don't believe a push from the round is required, a round's incoming direction often has no bearing on the movement of the object. I guess any arbitrary directional push would be fine. But, I guess whatever is most appropriate will work.

What even a 50 cal ?, I remember in bc2 a great animation that sometimes happened when killing with a 50, body flung back with arms wide apart, perhaps OTT but better than nothing.

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:38 ----------

I think the physics in general could use a lot of work.

I was really hoping to witness objects getting launched through the air and bouncing/rolling across the terrain when a physics force is applied to them. (Players/A.I. too :bounce3:)

Agreed, the best working example of this IMO is in bad company 2, it's just fantastic although perhaps slightly OTT at times, but not only does it add a level of realism but is also great fun just to play with, theres plenty on YouTube if interested.

One of the most unforgettable memory's of that game is seeing body's hurled though the air at incredible velocity due to a large explosion.

What rag doll ? The effect is hardly noticeable although it looked pretty cool when I shot someone off a lighthouse once.

Example- throw 3 grenades at your feet and nothing happens except you die of course.

In general the physics in the the beta seem very toned down to me.

Agreed, the best working example of this IMO is in bad company 2, it's just fantastic although perhaps slightly OTT at times, but not only does it add a level of realism but is also great fun just to play with, theres plenty on YouTube if interested.

One of the most unforgettable memory's of that game is seeing body's hurled though the air at incredible velocity due to a large explosion.

I think this is what we should avoid to be honest, OTT effects done for entertainment. I know it is a game and should be entertaining, but I prefer the realism of just seeing a body go down in the distance, but I'm not too sure whether he went down or got down :)

What even a 50 cal ?, I remember in bc2 a great animation that sometimes happened when killing with a 50, body flung back with arms wide apart, perhaps OTT but better than nothing.

Yes, even with a 50 cal. The inertia is not transferred to the body in that way, that's a Hollywood paradigm.

I think this is what we should avoid to be honest, OTT effects done for entertainment. I know it is a game and should be entertaining, but I prefer the realism of just seeing a body go down in the distance, but I'm not too sure whether he went down or got down :)

Yes true, but I think the force of explosions should have a greater effect on the surroundings than just damage, I expected a little more than this from A3.

Perhaps I'm being over critical or haven't paid enough attention ;) I'd better do some tests in the editor.

Yes, even with a 50 cal. The inertia is not transferred to the body in that way, that's a Hollywood paradigm.

*Removed video*

But yeah, explosions got some serious power.

Edited by TripleA

And that wasn't even a really big IED.

Not really sure if this is an appropriate/suitable video, but whatever, it's on YT.

It is not allowed, but sure driving a car into a human will throw him around.

Kicking a guy will throw him.

But if you thrust a spear through a guy, it won't push him back if the spear is fast enough.

A full metal jacket acts like a miniature spear going at high velocity. It will pass through from both sides.

Also, remember that even if your torso would completely gain the kinetic energy of the bullet, it'd still kick a lot less than the gun on the shooter's end.

To the people talking about grenades, I've seen them toss people slightly when they were standing pretty close. It actually seems about right--the compression wave will attenuate well before the fragments stop being a guaranteed kill.

To the people talking about grenades, I've seen them toss people slightly when they were standing pretty close. It actually seems about right--the compression wave will attenuate well before the fragments stop being a guaranteed kill.

If all the all the energy from an M67 would be released at once on a 70kg weighing human, at optimal setup it'd launch the human three meters straight upwards.

However, this does not happen. At best it rips off your legs and pushes you a few centimeters upwards.

It will knock out everybody within 10 meters though.

From me experiance, Wen you shoot some one it's like instantly cutting the strings of a puppet, they literrly hit the floor, as for your picture I have seen guys dead in increadible positions, some have been the results of being hit by bullets, others by bombs, usually that position you have herenwouldn't be to disimiler to an IED attack.

From me experiance, Wen you shoot some one it's like instantly cutting the strings of a puppet, they literrly hit the floor, as for your picture I have seen guys dead in increadible positions, some have been the results of being hit by bullets, others by bombs, usually that position you have herenwouldn't be to disimiler to an IED attack.

From a purely killing shot, yes, definitely. However, I think the vast majority of people who die from bullet wounds won't instantly die and even conciously react to what's happening. People often argue about the kinetics of a gunshot wound not causing knockback and the like, but a human reacting to pain instinctively flinches away from it. A person who is concious and takes a hit is likely to make some reaction other than flopping to the ground when taking a shot to somewhere other than an instant-killl area (ie, the brain). In game, of course, we don't need to show a horrible, drawn out bleeding to death scene and cut to the character insta-dying, which is fine. Some slight transitions would be cool, however, as shots from small arms fire is far more likely to hit the comparatively massive target of the human form (legs, arms, torso) than it is severing the spinal chord or destroying the brain.

Whether the reaction be attempting to dive away, jumping back, tripping and rolling after running, clutching the wound, or anything similar. As mentioned a couple of times in this thread, it's been done subtly and well in other titles, and whilst it's not a massive or desperately required feature, it's always the small touches that make a game lose 'game feel' and draw you in. I honestly assume that the devs have more important things to work on than jazzing-up deaths, but it would be awesome to have.

Let's look at this from a realism point of view. The only time you are going to "drop like liquid" is if something penetrates your upper spinal cord or brain. I'd say the vast majority of Arma deaths would come from trauma to the torso or limbs. In which case typically the wounded would fall down in a semi-controlled manner i.e. they might fall back as their legs fail to support them which gives credence to the case for a small vector push to solve limb twisting.

Ideally with an injury system we'd have wounded unable to move and slowly bleeding out but not insta-dead. You guys are going to say WTF but Far Cry 2 had the best injury system I've ever seen. Combined with Dylan's realism mod its the most realistic I've ever used in any game - basically seriously injured players would collapse and then crawl and prop themselves up against a tree/wall often out of your vision (Talking about AI). Then eventually if left alone they would bleed out and die. However, if not under fire, other AI would hoist them over their shoulders and walk them to safety. I got killed many times by AI that I had critically injured and they had managed to shoot me with a sidearm propped up on a tree. However, the medic system was magic-syringe so not all perfect.

This is how I see it, too. Instantaneous death is not that common. And even if humans do not behave as headless chickens post-death, there are not many cases where nerves will not keep firing at least a little, so muscles will contract etc somewhat randomly. The bent knees of killed Arma3 soldiers do look pretty silly.

Not the highest priority, but still...

While we are at death "effects"....

RO2 have that nice "slow death" animations and moanings. But mods take it to a new level:

Headshot: Black, no sound.

Slow deaths: Your camera still follow your head until you loss vision and sound, slowly; Also you can hear the moanings from other people (at the start of that video and at the middle, horrific!).

Pretty nice but I don't beleive that anything like that will make into A3. vanilla....

RO2 has this kind of thing perfect from what I've seen. They really are impressive as hell, and give a more 'brutal' effect to combat as a whole.