Sign in to follow this  
Tonci87

Surround sound problems, DEVs take notice

A shame, but lets wait for monday, maybe we get a surprise.

I have a better sounding game with Operation Flashpoint Resistance using ECP, not so sure on the surround sound differences but at least I can hear battles and loud vehicles / choppers and planes etc from a distance to get a idea of whats happening or coming.

Seems like BIS simply doesn't care about 5.1/7.1

Otherwise some Dev would have aknowledged the problem.

Are there any doubts about that? More than a year later and the games has the same problems.

I am using a Razer Tiamate 7.1 and it is impossible to play. I hear people walking and recharging from miles away as if they were next to me. I often hear a helicopter flying over me but then I look and there is nothing in the air at visible sight.

Then I have to switch to stereo to be able to do some sort of positioning. It is better in stereo. But also filled with bugs. The game cuts off the sound between left and right completly with no transition.

If there is a heli flying and you move your head so your left year or your right ear stays in direct line to the sound source, then the game cuts off the sound at once from the side facing backwards.

While Arma 3 has the worst sound experience that i have ever seen - unacceptable even for a beta, which is not the case... I had one of the most amazing sound experiences when I first tried my Razer Tiamate 7.1 on BF4. You can recognize the position and source from every sound. It was much better than any 2.1 Headset that I had before. Very clear and with an incredible immersion feeling.

Yep it's bloody frustrating. Sound engine on Arma 2/OA was fine.....I HATE regression!!

Just a quote from their site...

SOUND ENGINE

One of the most critical parts of creating a believable world is sound, and Arma 3 is no exception. Representing a significant step forward in the simulation of sound, with a single rifle shot consisting of various different sounds, the proper simulation of the speed of sound, different sounds when inside and outside of vehicles, and more, Arma 3 puts you right in the middle of a living, breathing environment.

And if that doesn't mean something. Eventually, they HAVE to get it fixed.

Well, they are not lying. All of the things mentioned in that quote is implemented in the game, and have been so for a long time now.

Then I have to switch to stereo to be able to do some sort of positioning. It is better in stereo. But also filled with bugs. The game cuts off the sound between left and right completly with no transition.

If there is a heli flying and you move your head so your left year or your right ear stays in direct line to the sound source, then the game cuts off the sound at once from the side facing backwards.

That sounds like the result of having your audio device in Windows set to 5.1/7.1 but your headphones or some other intermediary device ignoring the extra channels. I know this because I had the same issue. So I must ask, when you say "switch to stereo" do you mean setting the device Arma is using in Windows to stereo? That is the only way to get Arma to output proper stereo. You probably don't have to do this with BF4 because that game does a lot of its own virtualization.

Just a quote from their site...
SOUND ENGINE

One of the most critical parts of creating a believable world is sound, and Arma 3 is no exception. Representing a significant step forward in the simulation of sound, with a single rifle shot consisting of various different sounds, the proper simulation of the speed of sound, different sounds when inside and outside of vehicles, and more, Arma 3 puts you right in the middle of a living, breathing environment.

And if that doesn't mean something. Eventually, they HAVE to get it fixed.

Bumf, to get potential buyers to commit.

Then when they fire a tanks main gun or an ebr they realize the sound is so over modulated the sample is fudged. They don't have to fix anything they don't want to, I'm guessing with devs working with ace sound mod, that will be the unofficial official solution.

They don't have to fix anything they don't want to

I think we can blame ourselves and I have to wonder sometimes what is worse, being milked by EA and their endless DLC's & micro packages or buying the - prettier on surface - niche title and wait 2 years + to fully enjoy it, frustration free

Honestly, I haven't got a clue how hard is to work on in game sounds but I somehow doubt its as complicated as it has to take over a year to show any or some progress

I think we can blame ourselves and I have to wonder sometimes what is worse, being milked by EA and their endless DLC's & micro packages or buying the - prettier on surface - niche title and wait 2 years + to fully enjoy it, frustration free

Honestly, I haven't got a clue how hard is to work on in game sounds but I somehow doubt its as complicated as it has to take over a year to show any or some progress

At this point I really think that nobody has been working on fixing the sound issues. Otherwise we would have some of the problems fixed by now....