Sign in to follow this  
Aculaud

I think its about time we make the lst fuctional..

The LST could play such a big part in Operation Flashpoint, but as it stands, its nothing more than just for show.

Imagine the scale of operations you could conduct...Beach landings involving whole squads of infantry and armored units alike. Being able to refuel attack choppers without having to land where you'd be vulnerable to enemy fire.

A single LST could carry a whole squad, if not at least 3 armored units, about 24 infantry, and a chopper. We're talking massive combined arms efforts where ever you want them.

And then theres the guns on the LST. In a pinch you'd even be able to stage more realistic coastal bombardment and naval artillery.

And who knows? Maybe they could work it out so that there'd be room to walk around on one, and they could work as mobile command centers? This would add whole new levels to the game, especially if the Russians got an equivalent. Whole battles could take place in the water. You could do things like have chopper support, send smaller ships with special forces over to the enemies ship, and board it to assassinate the crew...

The possibilities are staggering. I just think its time BIS completes this area of the game.

Yeah it would be nice for the LST to work. But we're already talking about Naval Artillery, when we don't even have working land artillery. And can the engine even support a vehicle inside another vehicle?

I'm no coding expert, but wouldn't it be able to if it can support people in vehicles?

I'm not sure. But it makes sense to me. smile.gif

I'm no coding expert either, but i'm sure land artillery is no prerequisite to naval artillery. I'm just saying we could get the guns to work, thats all. They dont have to behave any different than that of a tank.

I guess it would work well if it was just firing like a tank, but regardless, I think it would be really cool to have this LST working. I can just imagine being in a coastal town that's being shelled by the LST.

...while the hoard of units it was carrying are advancing on it under the cover of the barrage biggrin.gif

In resistance the LST is a tad bit better. You can actually land a chopper on it, if you do it right. Has to be a perfect landing though. It doesnt work all the time. Just kinda a random event. I sure hope they intended on fixing it. Cause if they dont then what was the point of making it. Just time consuming and they could've made some better instead of it IMO.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ July 24 2002,18:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In resistance the LST is a tad bit better. You can actually land a chopper on it, if you do it right. Has to be a perfect landing though. It doesnt work all the time. Just kinda a random event. I sure hope they intended on fixing it. Cause if they dont then what was the point of making it. Just time consuming and they could've made some better instead of it IMO.<span id='postcolor'>

can land 99% or the time for me u can walk on itand the frount proved to be a good sniping spot(just infrount of the bridge behind the square bit) they never found me but lucky for them i dont enjoy sniping.

Yeah, but at the moment, doing things like this is just a matter of luck. I'm wanting it to be an actual function.

I can never land a chopper on an LST, and i'v tried a lot! It just sinks it.

A working LST would be awesome. Adding new dimensions to the game. Especially one with rooms in it. And able to carry vehicles.

I think a move to Addons+Mods is gonna help, some of the clever people there might be able to help smile.gif

I think they want it as an official addon, not as a user made addon.

i can land on it in resistance

but i dont think you can make a ship with 3 or 4 working guns because the engine only supports 1 gunner on a vehicle

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ July 24 2002,06:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I sure hope they intended on fixing it. Cause if they dont then what was the point of making it. Just time consuming and they could've made some better instead of it IMO.<span id='postcolor'>

I guess they did it to "just be eye candy". However I agree that it'd be nice to have a working LST.

/edit

a fatal typo fixed

The russian equivalent would probably be a kutsenov class ship,no?

It'd be great to have it working,the ofp navy needs strengthening.

What would be really nice(but practically almost impossible) is a tarawa class assault carrier,would be great for aerial assaults,can store landing boats,hovercrafts and helo's :]

Would suit ofp better than a nimitz class carrier i think.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ July 24 2002,02:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think a move to Addons+Mods is gonna help, some of the clever people there might be able to help smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

yeah, i know your just trying to help, but i was petitioning for this as an official upgrade smile.gif

I really dont think it would be possible to run around inside the LST. The areas would be too right and you would not be able to turn around in a corridor without falling out of the ship.

I think we had one of these threads a while ago, like half a year or something...someone said that it was not possible to make the LSTs guns point in different directions (the LST has like 2 or 3 gunturrets).

I must agree that it would be nice if it was working though.

i know its posible to walk inside of a vechicle class sum one made a bunker static vechicle with m2 machine gun i could walk in side it.

i think it is possible with some scripting for the lst to be functional, i mean all we need is a lst that MAYBE we can walk around in it and we just add some scripts for artillary placements (example: mg on a humvee) and maybe add ladder to the side of the boat to people can climb down to a higgens boat (for d-day lovers) the boat could be attached to the lst the same way you can attack a mg to a humvee, but have a script to disable it when someone goes on the boat to drive off of it.

the lst does move also,i was using a unlimited ammo trainer and just kept shooting rpg,s at one and the explosions pushed it way out to sea[out of sight]it didnt seem to turn but it did move.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (InqWiper @ July 24 2002,17:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...someone said that it was not possible to make the LSTs guns point in different directions<span id='postcolor'>

Well, someone made the static, non-functioning, artillery pieces on everon be able to move around and point in different directions. I cant see why doing the same with the LST wouldnt be possible.

You know whats really fun to do with the LST? I took a HIND and pushed the ship at a speed of 200k. That was cool watching it sail away when I stopped the chopper, now if a ship could go that fast in real life...

I actually destroyed one once. It took either over 50 or over 60 satchel charges though wow.gif