Sign in to follow this  
TracyTraceLover

unrealistic tracers need strong rework

Plz bistudio do us simulation fans a favor and make the tracers more realistic this time!!!

They are muuuuuuch to thick, too long and the "glowing" needs some heavy rework too.

I have shot many times with real tracer rounds but this huge ingame-lighting-bars have absolutely nothing to do with reality. Watch more vids or better go to shooting range at night and blow some phosphorus dipped beans in the air. If reworking this effect, the game will be so much better i´m sure...

Regards

TracyTraceLover

The thing is, they'd disappear if they were smaller because current displays have relatively low pixel density. They'd need some sort of super sampling in order to sort the rendering at sub-pixel level.

If there is a technical background for this, i really hope they will find a solution.

I personally would prefer them better to disappear at some distance in the meantime till a "true" solution is found.

The infantry´s tracers at the moment have approx the real size of a M1´s sabot round. This really looks that bad...

Well ACE2 had a very nice tracer mod (you can enable it in the userconfig). The Tracers are not stretched like in vanilla and it looks better.

I think they are only thick during nighttime while being almost invisible in daytime. Could also depend on settings and FPS tho...

Agree with OP, nice summary of all that's wrong with them.

There have been a number of nice tracer effects in a few mod/addons over the years for this series.

But I certainly understand what the OP means for A3, maybe some will get ported, if they can..

I just tested a mission where a little bird is blasting infantry with its guns during a night, and I can barely see the tracers from few hundred meters when I'm looking as an infantryman on the ground. I think they're ok at the moment.

It would be best just to cut the tracer model in half. Any shorter than that and they can't really be seen at lower FPS.

Better Tracers, like in ACE2, wold be a rellay big improvement. I made a Ticket in the ArmA3 Bugtracker http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=8035

Here are an example for the actual ArmA III Tracers and some examples how the should be:

Actual ArmA III Tracer:

ArmA2 with A.C.E. Mod Tracer:

regards

moerderhoschi

Could be a bit longer then in Arma 2, it very much depends by the filmed angle and probablly bullet speed.

Cameras cannot accurately capture tracers, because of shutter speed that differs from human vision.

Although the difference between a 'streak' and an 'orb' is indeed a question of angle and apparent speed.

Hence, the best compromise is a shorter streak that looks good on-screen and works with lower framerates, without being too much of a laser.

Here are an example for the actual ArmA III Tracers and some examples how the should be:

Yeah, that would be much more real with this mod!!!

The only thing that should be improved in this mod is the glowing. It is more intense in reality and a little different colour. Should be glaring at one little point without making it it too big. But maybe it is not recognizable in youtube video...

If tracers flying in your own direction, they should fly slowers first at beginning and the more approaching the faster they should be animated. Finally at the "end" the bullets are that fast that you still can´t believe it. As a true tracer fetishist, i would be so happy if dev team would take this serious :D

Arma III could benefit so much with a fixed real looking tracer model. I do really hope they change this till final version. Then this would be the finest kind of sim, the world has ever seen...

I suppose some volumetric self-illuminating shader would do the trick -> that way tracer would be intensive when looking along its axis (shooters view) but be less visible once seeing from side.

However, it might have significant impact on fps (as in some situations there may be tens of them at once in the air).

Plz bistudio do us simulation fans a favor and make the tracers more realistic this time!!!

They are muuuuuuch to thick, too long and the "glowing" needs some heavy rework too.

I have shot many times with real tracer rounds but this huge ingame-lighting-bars have absolutely nothing to do with reality. Watch more vids or better go to shooting range at night and blow some phosphorus dipped beans in the air. If reworking this effect, the game will be so much better i´m sure...

Regards

TracyTraceLover

What size bullet`s didt you use in millimeter ?

I find the out going tracers appealing, they look and move as they should, its just the incoming green stick that measure roughly 10ft long, obviously a tracer is only an illuminated bullet, be it 5.56, 6+ or 7.62, it only looks ling because the humans eyes refresh rate cant keep up with the speed making it look long

You cant spot the incoming tracer rounds but in Arma 3 i think i can...

Incoming tracer rounds have been visible since ArmA 2 patches