Intel i5 2500k Quad-core CPU - 3.2Ghz

Nvidia GTX 570 Graphics card.

8GB DDR3 Ram.

500GB HDD.

60GB SSD.

32" T.V. (Monitor)

TrackIR 5

Zalman CPU Heatsink.

Originally I was playing with between 20-40 FPS. All settings were high-very high and the View distance around 1600, object distance 1000, and shadows @ 100.

I decided to see if overclocking my cpu would help since everyone says this is a CPU intense game, so I did just that. I upped my OC to 4.2Ghz and after an hour of gameplay my load temps didn't go higher than 60c for both my CPU and GPU. Also, my FPS was around 50-65 the entire time with all settings to high-very high and the view distance around 1850.

If you are able and haven't done so already, I definitely recommend overclocking for a significant performance boost!

This is so true.

I overclocked my FX-6100 from stock clocks to 4.7ghz and my FPS went from mid 20s to 35-50 with everything set on High and VD set to 1500.

My rig runs pretty damn hot but i'm happy to be able to play this with my current setup! 59C under load...

btw my GPU is OC'd 550 Ti which might be the bottleneck here.

hahha sry about that! I'm simply trying to prove that even the old gen FX owners can play this game if they own decent cooling. :)

oced my 2700k to 4,4ghz, got 2133mhz(effective) ram and a samsung 830 ssd, in infantrie showcase all max exept viewdistance(2500m) 80-120fps.

every arma scales almost 1:1 with every mhz you put on, due to it´s way to handle simulations.

glad to hear even first gen fx users can benefit from oc that well.

First: Of course Arma will run better if your PC runs faster.

Second: Overclocking may damage your CPU, your RAM, your GPU, or the whole motherboard if you don´t know what you are doing.

DON´T EVEN TRY IT WITHOUT PROPER COOLING

I've thought for a year that my 2600K ran unclocked until recently I watched that it runs at 4,4GHz when gaming. Kinda sad because I thought that I can OC nicely more :D

I've thought for a year that my 2600K ran unclocked until recently I watched that it runs at 4,4GHz when gaming. Kinda sad because I thought that I can OC nicely more :D

I ran my 2600k @5012MHz (AirCon running) with the following setup:

img0320hs.th.jpg

20120309185138.th.jpg

20120309185158.th.jpg

20120309185138.th.jpg

I used a Thermaltake FRIO OCK and removed the Stock-Fan's from it and replaced them with 2x EBM-Papst 4112NH4, which I bought here: Click

One EBM-Past 4112NH4 - Fan moves an amazing 355 m3/h air. I combined the Fan's with a NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller, which comes with 5x 30W Channels.

The Setup was Prime95-stable. I wish the 3770k would be as easy to OC as the 2600k. A 3770k @4200MHz is equal to a 2600k @4500MHz if you benchmark them.

:)

Second: Overclocking may damage your CPU, your RAM, your GPU, or the whole motherboard if you don´t know what you are doing.

Worth quoting

and let's not forget that adequate power supply too is playing big role in your OC success.

The highest I personally would OC is 4.2 ish-Ghz because anything after that is hunting one and a half frame while putting the CPU under serious strain for no further gain

im glad my oc runs whisper quiet on my watercooled rig^^

to ram oc: in high density scenarios ram oc really grant it´s benefits, like hosting a busy server, or playing evo like missions on local pc.

@ TONSCHUH: what is your CPUVID and VCore?

an i7 3770 is easy to oc like a 2700k, but you have to remove the IHS and change the thermalpaste under it, sandy bridge is soldered to IHS, Ivybridge is just connected to it by some thermalpaste, thats the only difference for oc.

with watercooling(due to it´s lower weight) you can run a 3770k even without IHS for maximum cooling.

but just for pros because you can easely kill your cpu having no clue what you are doing.

@ Bee8190: the 7850 is limiting the 3570 in all ways, of cause you will not gain much fps with cpu oc then, exept you were hosting or so.

think my corsair ax750 will do the powersupply job quite well.

Edited by xXxatrush1987

im glad my oc runs whisper quiet on my watercooled rig^^

to ram oc: in high density scenarios ram oc really grant it´s benefits, like hosting a busy server, or playing evo like missions on local pc.

@ TONSCHUH: what is your CPUVID and VCore?

an i7 3770 is easy to oc like a 2700k, but you have to remove the IHS and change the thermalpaste under it, sandy bridge is soldered to IHS, Ivybridge is just connected to it by some thermalpaste, thats the only difference for oc.

with watercooling(due to it´s lower weight) you can run a 3770k even without IHS for maximum cooling.

but just for pros because you can easely kill your cpu having no clue what you are doing.

@ Bee8190: the 7850 is limiting the 3570 in all ways, of cause you will not gain much fps with cpu oc then, exept you were hosting or so.

think my corsair ax750 will do the powersupply job quite well.

I don't know where I put all the pic's, but I found this ones:

15875957.th.jpg

5047MHz (Forum-Code doesn't work anymore / got deleted (?))

The 5047MHz was unfortunately not Prime95-stable. I had the 5012MHz uploaded to my Business-Website, but as I have atm no time to run the Business, I downgraded the Site to a "free" one, but maybe I can remember where I posted the Pic's. It's quite awhile ago and my wife is now using the 2600k @4500MHz, but in a Thermaltake Level 10 GT LCS, like I use for my 3770k-Setup.

I got my 3770k up to 4800MHz, but I had to go too high with the voltages and the Thermal-Throttle kicked in. My LCS is nothing special and I would not cut the CPU open, as I don't run our setup's at max. possible speed around the clock. It's not necessary as I have no Games which use the mild OC CPU to 100% and there are only a few apps which max my CPU out, like nzb-repairs via SABnzbd.

If I have one day money left-over and don't know what to upgrade, then I will maybe build a custom LCS.

Here is my validated 3770k @4400MHz, how I run it at the moment.

2787546.png

Edited by TONSCHUH

That is not true. Heat is not a real safety issue. Only overvolting out of spec will damage your kit. Having a "stable OC" usualy demands the RAM stay at rated speed or just 10% bump or so. But most CPUs since 2008(even the Westys, and Wolfys before) can all hit 4.2~ in spec. And 2500k-2600k 2700k etc.. will get yeah 4.4-4.8 in SPEC. You will not hurt them. If your CPU gets too hot it will just shut down. The real issues is Stability and your OS install. Everytime you crash or hard reboot you can damage your OS install. It can be a real issue with many older(before 2012) SSDs due the lack of power/cache to actually save your System OS. Been on AIR at 4.2+ for years... In ambient temps of 80f to 115f, playing ARMA for hours, CPU running in the 80c+ for months(hot summer room) Heat isnt a issue for the kit, Heat is a issue for stability if you get a shutdown. Look up your CPU/kit voltage Spec range and stay in it.

overclocking is not the solution...

they should work on the code.

That's my opinion...

overclocking is not the solution...

they should work on the code.

That's my opinion...

You are right about the code-optimisations, but OC could still help some people, especially if the Multi-Core-Support is not perfect.

Heat is not a real safety issue. Only overvolting out of spec will damage your kit.

It's the combination, heat makes the stuff in the cpu more mobile so high voltage kills it more easily. If you do an overclock on a low voltage it's not that big of a problem if it heats up a lot, and if you have epic cooling it's ok to run a high voltage overclock.

Anyway, overclocking can get you a big performance boost in anything that's cpu limited. Would recommend doing it if you have the time to do it properly.

Anyway, overclocking can get you a big performance boost in everything.

Fixed

Not seen anything that deosn't benefit yet from making my CPU faster, some minor and some major improvements to be had right from the moment you press the power on button.

It's the combination, heat makes the stuff in the cpu more mobile so high voltage kills it more easily.

Anyway, overclocking can get you a big performance boost in anything that's cpu limited. Would recommend doing it if you have the time to do it properly.

Only a MASSIVE over-volting can instantly kill a -modern- CPU. Though that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone? A fairly high over-the-limit over-volting will only SHORTEN the lifespan of your CPU.

In current times, you can put the multiplier on an unlocked CPU as high as you want, it doesn't matter. If it is not a stabile overclock, you must use more volts. If you don't use more volts, you can safely just keep it as high as it is stabile on.

Overclocking on a multiplier unlocked CPU is safe. Over-the-top over-volting is not. I'm wondering as to why you did not mention these little "facts"?

I'm wondering as to why you did not mention these little "facts"?

because I'm evil, muhaahahahahh.

That is not true. Heat is not a real safety issue. Only overvolting out of spec will damage your kit. Having a "stable OC" usualy demands the RAM stay at rated speed or just 10% bump or so. But most CPUs since 2008(even the Westys, and Wolfys before) can all hit 4.2~ in spec. And 2500k-2600k 2700k etc.. will get yeah 4.4-4.8 in SPEC. You will not hurt them. If your CPU gets too hot it will just shut down. The real issues is Stability and your OS install. Everytime you crash or hard reboot you can damage your OS install. It can be a real issue with many older(before 2012) SSDs due the lack of power/cache to actually save your System OS. Been on AIR at 4.2+ for years... In ambient temps of 80f to 115f, playing ARMA for hours, CPU running in the 80c+ for months(hot summer room) Heat isnt a issue for the kit, Heat is a issue for stability if you get a shutdown. Look up your CPU/kit voltage Spec range and stay in it.

Yeah I was more referring to the poeple who still have the boxed cooler on their CPU (Yes those people exist :j: )

Yeah I was more referring to the poeple who still have the boxed cooler on their CPU (Yes those people exist :j: )

... and there are still plenty people who think you don't have to open the case from time to time to remove dust etc, especially people who buy standard systems from the shelf.