mr.g-c

Altis and Stratis on one physical map. What do you think?

cheers Mirudes, you gave me so much hope.

As for the local savegames - I think cheaters will find a way no matter whaere its stored.

I would prefer having it on one map instead of two instances. At least for the possibility of artillery firing from one island to another.

I would like to see both maps as one. By the looks of it ALTIS only has 1 airfield, with both maps combined we will have 2. I really like the Takistan map because it has 2 airfields. Altis has 1 airfield in the center of the map, ideally I would like to have seen that on the edge of the map and an other airfield on the opposite side. For missions that would have been very useful. I only have seen Altis from the pic on the website, but I hope it will be more divers terrain then Stratis. On Stratis all the hills are almost the same hight and all the bases are on top of the hills, hope to see bases more tucked away in valleys instead on top of hills.
I assume that since they added on Stratis' airfield that they will most likely add another on to Altis

I assume that since they added on Stratis' airfield that they will most likely add another on to Altis

Having two paved runways would be nice but I'd like for a small dirt ones or makeshift runways to be added. I used to be pretty good at takeoff and landing at that small crowded runway near Cherno with my big c130j and other jets.

map.jpg

Seems doable to me. We could shrink the water distance so that each island is just outside visual range from the other's shores.

With Jets that distance is nothing. And we can have better aircraft fights. In 2 minutes you can go from Stratis to Altis with no problem with a modern jet.

Yes I'd definitely like to see both islands combined into one map, mainly to make it possible to increase travel time/distances for more realism.

e.g. your team starts from stratis to launch an air assault on altis. Or just to call in CAS that is stationed on another island so it can't turn up 30 seconds after being requested. It would just be better for a lot of things and it would be optional whether you use it or not.

Edited by clydefrog

Why? Is'nt Altis big enough?

Two proper airbases and a staging area for Altis invasion scenarios.

I hope a mod can put the two maps together. It wouldn't have to be real life distance, but not right next to each other either. It would be cool to get air support stationed on the other island. It would also be nice for when people start adding things like bigger naval ships.

To the OP My computer says no :p

Yes, I very much like the idea of a smaller island somewhere in the sea near Altis, much like Rahmadi / Sahrani in ArmA. (Doesn't have to be Stratis, but something with a working, AI-usable airfield)

it is not feasible. at least if you want to mantain an adequate terrain resolution. Maybe it is possible with VBS2 technology but certainly not with Arma 2/3 actual technology

No. I don't feel like making my frames drop by 10 - 20 just because there's some fairly big landmass being rendered several km away with the terrain inbetween.

If I remember correctly - the actual Altis landmass only takes what 270km squared and the map actually is 900km squared.

Would Stratis not be able to fit in somewhere like this picture?

http://i.imgur.com/jNaMIuY.jpg that seems like 7km far away from closest points. Surely this can't make a huge performance difference?

Anyway, not being part of the BIS team I would have no clue. IF this is a possibility I would ask the devs to include it as it only increases what can be done with the game.

If I remember correctly - the actual Altis landmass only takes what 270km squared and the map actually is 900km squared.

Would Stratis not be able to fit in somewhere like this picture?

http://i.imgur.com/jNaMIuY.jpg that seems like 7km far away from closest points. Surely this can't make a huge performance difference?

Anyway, not being part of the BIS team I would have no clue. IF this is a possibility I would ask the devs to include it as it only increases what can be done with the game.

That's too close and wouldn't make sense. I don't see how a large section of in detailed ocean between them would be a problem? For fps problems look at a large city, then go way out to sea and look at the city again. But for people who's computers may not be the best it would be a third option island option. And if they were realistically far apart imagine the great air mission and naval missions with the base game and with mods!

---------- Post added at 22:54 ---------- Previous post was at 22:48 ----------

Does anyone actually have a comment from the devs or can say without a doubt that the VR engine can't hand the two being realistically far apart? You can make some crazy large terrains in Arma 3 but the main issue is detailing that size of terrain.