Sign in to follow this  
zooloo75

setVelocityModelSpace & ragdoll unit

Should these commands be implemented?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should these commands be implemented?

• Both commands should be implemented
    • Only setVelocityModelSpace should be implemented
    • Only ragdoll should be implemented
    • Neither should be implemented

I know I speak for a lot of scripters when I say that a setVelocityModelSpace and ragdoll command would be a tremendous amount of help!

There is velocityModelSpace (object), and a setVelocityModelSpace should compliment it. It saves coding time by not having to calculate the vectors, and provides a broader usage for those who are less experienced with trigonometry.

setVelocityModelSpace's usage is self-explanatory; It sets the velocity of an object relative to the model instead of the world. This will allow easy setting of vectors without having to convert from world to model and vice-versa.

Example of usage

player setVelocityModelSpace [0,5,0]; //This will make the player move forward while freezing his X and Z velocities.

car setVelocityModelSpace [((velocityModelSpace car) select 0) - 8,((velocityModelSpace car) select 1) + 3,((velocityModelSpace car) select 2)]; //This will cause the object "car" to slide left while having a small boost forward.

A "ragdoll" command is something I was hoping to see included when I first heard that ArmA3 was said to have PhysX. I am disappointed to find that the command is still non-existant. This command's function is to cause a unit to ragdoll (fall down, etc).

This can be used in many simulations such as a unit becoming dehydrated/fatigued, soon becoming unconscious; the ragdoll command would then be used to visualize this - causing the unit to fall to the ground.

Another usage would be to allow units to fall down when shot via eventHandler; instead of only ragdolling if killed, it can visualize that a bullet has hit a unit, making the shooter have to confirm if the bullet was fatal, or if it simply caught him off-guard and caused the unit to get knocked off their feet.

Example of usage

player ragdoll true; //will ragdoll the player. Ragdoll uses a boolean to allow the effect to last as long as the scripter desires.
sleep 2; //waits 2 seconds
player ragdoll false; //will exit the ragdoll mode for the player, setting them back to an appropriate animation (prone,crouch, etc)

I hope the developers at BIS reads and seriously considers implementing the two commands above.

Does anyone have something to say about these commands?

+1 to this. I'd love to see the ragdoll command implemented for sure, it would allow us to make some wicked scripts but to also just mess around.

I can only upvote this! especially the ragDoll command is something i would have expected to be in by now!

Did you already open a ticket?

setVelocityModelSpace Has this been requested in the feedback tracker, I see better ragdoll requests.

I'm also rather disappointed that this command or one like it hasn't been included. I really hate the way objects always do a flat fall when dropped.

I wouldn't mind seeing both. Likewise, I'd love to see an addWhatever command for all vector and position based commands--even if it's just syntactical sugar, so that something like this:

car setVelocityModelSpace [((velocityModelSpace car) select 0) - 8,((velocityModelSpace car) select 1) + 3,((velocityModelSpace car) select 2)];

could be shortened to this:

car addVelocityModelSpace [-8,3,0];

Still disappointed to see that there's no ragdoll command :\

Still disappointed to see that there's no ragdoll command :\

Me too. I had to jump through hoops to implement a ragdoll effect for units hit by bullets in TPW FALL. I read somewhere that the problem is not so much the transition to ragdoll, but the transition back out of it.

Me too. I had to jump through hoops to implement a ragdoll effect for units hit by bullets in TPW FALL. I read somewhere that the problem is not so much the transition to ragdoll, but the transition back out of it.

A simple transition would be to just put the player into the prone stand after the ragdoll animation.

A simple transition would be to just put the player into the prone stand after the ragdoll animation.

That's what I do. Since you can't force a unit to ragdoll without killing it I have to hide the shot unit, replace it with an identical unit, setdamage 1 that replacement to kill it, determine the rough direction the ragdoll is once on the ground, set the hidden unit prone in the same direction, remove the dead ragdoll and unhide the original shot unit. Phew! Would be so much simpler to just have a ragdoll command!

The problem is that if the ragdolled unit collapses to the ground with arms and legs akimbo, there is no way (that I know of) to set the live unit with a matching stance. So there is always going to be a bit of a disconnect when transitioning back.

which is basically what happens when you get hit by a car etc...

So could we please just get this? i doubt it'd be too big of a problem...

I presume you mean just pop the unit back in a prone stance? No transitions are easy from a ragdoll to a predefined animation pose.

Popping something back looks weird and i presume this will fall under BIS's 'If we cant do it properly its not gonna happen'.

I agree though, even if it does look slightly unwieldy that a ragdoll command would be nice.

I presume you mean just pop the unit back in a prone stance? No transitions are easy from a ragdoll to a predefined animation pose.

Popping something back looks weird and i presume this will fall under BIS's 'If we cant do it properly its not gonna happen'.

I agree though, even if it does look slightly unwieldy that a ragdoll command would be nice.

It already does that anyways after a unit ragdolls...

It already does that anyways after a unit ragdolls...
I know.

We were talking about how to handle things after a ragdoll command (if such a thing existed) and i wanted to verify your comment of whether you meant 'transition' to prone stance or just pop to prone like it does normally when its handled via the engine.

As tpw has shown above transitioning from an unknown set of bone positions is not an easy task even if you have a decent animation engine that gives you access to bone positions/rotations and blends.

Any news about this? As there is no more "falling Down" Animation in the animationlist, we could use a "player ragdollactive true" command to create a tazer script or something.

even if we didn't get a ragdoll command (which would be difficult to transition out of), putting a fall down animation or a death animation back in, would be simple as they would have them on backup somewhere. thats where my vote would go.