Sign in to follow this  
don2k7

challenger 2 main battle tank

hi this is my progress so far on my own challenger 2 battle tank. love this tank and want to bring it to arma 3

slat7wip_zps5ff9aab0.jpg

slat6wip_zpsb3bea9d4.jpg

c2screenshot2_zps63433c53.jpg

there are two versions one 'normal' and one with extra armour and slat armour still along way to go...

Good work M8,I play with the Chally in Steel Beasts and would love to see a working model in the Armaverse,

Keep it up,

Mick. :)

31000 faces? 2090 sections?

You're going to have to cut that down some :) but a promising start,

Edited by Messiah

Wow... Good job... That's quite amazing...

But first lets see if they'll add the M1A2 Abrams, Leopard 2, AMX 56 Lerclerc or the Type 99 than maybe they'll add the Challenger 2. So far it seems they are adding mostly Unfinished things or things that will most likely be used till 2030+

(I know the Type 99 has nothing to do with the lore but I like it... Kill me for it...)

Edited by Yairweinberg

What this guy said. It's a wee bit high. You've made this model from scratch in o2?

Yep looking good my favourite tank too - be nice to have a british tank ingame first for a change.

The main gun barrel looks a bit thin like. Lookin good though.

thanks and yea i got abit carried away with that.

@Adumb - no didnt make it from scratch in o2 and have used a few parts from other bis models in the sample pack like the tracks, loader gun, smoke launchers etc.

@Max power - so far about a week but thats been full time on it estimate about 60 - 70 hours and counting

thanks for the comments guys

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:59 ----------

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:32 ----------

And you did this in O2?

the main shell shape, turret, i did in google sketchup then imported into blender then O2 and the rest has been done in o2, this probably sounds alittle odd but i was playing with the tools and after several hours and to much coffee got to where i am now but the bulk say about 80% has been in done in o2 with wip shots as ive gone along, this is my work apart from the parts ive used from the bis sample models. i know i still have along to go tho and thank everyone for there comments

You're dedication is unmatched!! I know that when this releases many people will be downloading it, including myself. Keep it up dude! :cool:

sweet bruv looks wicked i cant wait to start skinning that baby lol.....:)

Wow this tank looks terrific! I can understand going crazy with the polycount, I made a tank myself that reached up to 20K in O2 heheh..thank goodness for proxies :)

If it wouldn't be any trouble, I'd love to see more wireframe of this, always looking to learn and admire the works of others plus wire frames in general help people to understand different techniques they may not have thought of. OH, sketchup though if possible please, with the importing O2 turns many quads into tri's and gives a rather messy render for that kind of thing.

Edited by NodUnit

sry dont want to derail but with the new sea and water terrain i am inetrested in tanbks that drive under water ^^

Great work. Looks good so far, I hope you don't put all this effort in just to have BI add that particular tank in the final release anyway! :banghead:

Should be interesting to see how this develops!

Do you have any other WIP pictures?

Very sweet!

With my own observations as long as you can view it buldozer you can kind of get away with it (25000 verts, 1 normal each, give or take seems the limit) just keep the section count as low as you can.

By the looks of things it's not finished yet, So I'd say he should concentrate on making it before he tries to chop bits off!

ok bit of a update spend the last few days sorting the non slated version with a massive point and face cull

trying to keep some of the detail and once happy with this willo move onto the slated version

ive gone from 20425 points to 14381 saving 6044 and 26995 faces to 18408 saving 8587 now trying to clean up some non closed parts o2 being a bit of a pain and have had format and reinstall my entire system due to an unrelated problem. To be honest this is largest project ive attempted to undertake so hang in there guys.

By the looks of things it's not finished yet, So I'd say he should concentrate on making it before he tries to chop bits off!

yes i do ill put some more shots up and theres a few more on my photobucket account.

Wow this tank looks terrific! I can understand going crazy with the polycount, I made a tank myself that reached up to 20K in O2 heheh..thank goodness for proxies :)

If it wouldn't be any trouble, I'd love to see more wireframe of this, always looking to learn and admire the works of others plus wire frames in general help people to understand different techniques they may not have thought of. OH, sketchup though if possible please, with the importing O2 turns many quads into tri's and gives a rather messy render for that kind of thing.

once im happy with it and have got to the testing ingame i will knock up a guide to help others but there are far more experienced members here who could probably do what ive done in half the time or be testing it ingame now.

challenger2wipcull1_zpsc9c83316.jpg

challenger2wipcull2_zps2544aa8d.jpg

Like the model dude I have one criticism, It seems the barrel is too slim and the optics block seems to tall and slim.

Apart from that good sir, crack on :) x

Like the model dude I have one criticism, It seems the barrel is too slim and the optics block seems to tall and slim.

Apart from that good sir, crack on :) x

thanks for the comment, the barrel is actually ok but yes the optics block was a fraction to tall now ammended, also just need to add grenade lauchers as well.

What are your plans for the inside don? Are you thinking 2D overlays or thinking about 3D interior?

Awesome work btw :)