Sign in to follow this  
VII.Racetrack -ITA-

Where is the recoil/laser trails?

1)Am I the only who notice that the weapon recoil isn't visible on the other soldiers?

I mean... When I shoot on first person or on third person visual, the effects of the weapons recoil make my aim move BUT if you look u're soldiers you can't see his shoulder shaking. The same for other soldiers.

In pratice you are not able to see the recoil of weapons.

2)OMG those TRAILS

I've noticed playing online that the chopper miniguns trails seems the trails of the Chewbaccas blaster.

Why?

If I'm right. How to play with lightsaber? XDXDXD

Trails? You mean tracers?

That is how they work.

Regarding tracers, take a look at this video. It's the best I could find.

Edited by Nicholas

BUT TEY AREN'T --->RED<--- IN REAL
You're kidding, right? What colour do you think tracers are then? There can't be different colours?

Updated my post with a better video. Watch at around 12 seconds in and you'll see the littlebird firing.

Tracers are effect of burning phosphor... Phosphor isn't colored like that c'mon.

It seems i'm shooting with blaster. I saw that video, and games tracers are NOT like that...

I think they are unreal and may be fixed

---------- Post added at 14:52 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

You're kidding, right? What colour do you think tracers are then? There can't be different colours?

THIS IS THE REAL COLOUR. NOT RED LIKE BLASTER

Tracers are effect of burning phosphor... Phosphor isn't colored like that c'mon.
Wrong again. Just to copy-paste for you:
A tracer projectile is constructed with a hollow base filled with a pyrotechnic flare material, often made of phosphorus or magnesium or other bright burning chemicals. In US and NATO standard ammunition, this is usually a mixture of strontium compounds (nitrate, peroxide, etc.) and a metal fuel such as magnesium. This yields a bright red light. Russian and Chinese tracer ammunition generates red or green light using barium salts. It is not true that they use only green tracers even if identified by green bullet tips. Some modern designs use compositions that produce little to no visible light and radiate mainly in infrared, being visible only on night vision equipment.

edit: Well, I suppose it's true that phosphor doesn't burn red. But that doesn't mean there are no red tracers.

Fired a lot of tracer rounds in RL. They were red.

A tracer projectile is constructed with a hollow base filled with a pyrotechnic flare material, often made of phosphorus or magnesium or other bright burning chemicals. In US and NATO standard ammunition, this is usually a mixture of strontium compounds (nitrate, peroxide, etc.) and a metal fuel such as magnesium. This yields a bright red light. Russian and Chinese tracer ammunition generates red or green light using barium salts.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracer_ammunition

:EDITH:

Ninja'd by Concurssi :p

Guys... I know that tracers are RED
BUT TEY AREN'T --->RED<--- IN REAL

... what?

maybe they could add some slight glowing effect on tracers? I like them as they are though.

The thing about the tracers is that they are CNN footage-style.

The slow shutter speed on your average camera makes tracers appear like long, laser-like streaks. George Lucas probably used Vietnam footage as inspiration for the blasters in Star Wars.

When seen by the eye, tracers either appear as spherical orbs (this looks fairly shit in-game, and isn't very visible when FPS is mediocre) or much shorter streaks. The length of the 'streak,' is of course an illusion that's dependent on the apparent speed of the bullet. That is, the tracer will appear longer if it is closer to your eye and moving perpendicular to your line of sight. When a round, shot from behind, wizzes past your head, it will stretch out, then shrink in length as it recedes into the distance. If it hits the ground and ricochets, it will probably slow down to the point where your eyes sees it for what it is, a glowing ball. Darkness will probably have an effect as well.

This would require a complex dynamic model for tracers to accomplish, but I would settle for cutting the length of the tracers in half.

For some reason, no modder ever touched this in ArmA .

The thing about the tracers is that they are CNN footage-style.

The slow shutter speed on your average camera makes tracers appear like long, laser-like streaks. George Lucas probably used Vietnam footage as inspiration for the blasters in Star Wars.

When seen by the eye, tracers either appear as spherical orbs (this looks fairly shit in-game, and isn't very visible when FPS is mediocre) or much shorter streaks. The length of the 'streak,' is of course an illusion that's dependent on the apparent speed of the bullet. That is, the tracer will appear longer if it is closer to your eye and moving perpendicular to your line of sight. When a round, shot from behind, wizzes past your head, it will stretch out, then shrink in length as it recedes into the distance. If it hits the ground and ricochets, it will probably slow down to the point where your eyes sees it for what it is, a glowing ball. Darkness will probably have an effect as well.

This would require a complex dynamic model for tracers to accomplish, but I would settle for cutting the length of the tracers in half.

Thats what i'm talking about.

Thats what i'm talking about.

That has nothing to do with the colour of the tracer.

This is a pretty good representation of what red tracer rounds look in real life (1:25 onwards to see it clearly):

It looks pretty real in A3, they are just a bit too visible daytime.

First world problems

If you have nothing of substance to add to the discussion, please just walk on by. Thanks.

Didn't ace have the option for "orb like" tracers? Not sure if it still does, but at one point I definitely had it enabled and it looked pretty good.

By the way, thanks for the detailed description of "tracer dynamics", never knew, and its pretty neat.

Tracers are pretty bad, and they do look like laser beams. They need to be tighter, MUCH shorter, and not be pure red. Real tracers are too bright to look like a classic blaster shot. And even at night when the glow is most evident, they aren't 3 feet thick. I think making em brighter, much smaller, and more like the ACE ball tracers, it'd be way better. I don't really care if they are hard to see that way. As it is, they draw a fucking line right to the target, like Crysis 2. And they look goofy. Real goofy. They don't really look bright, like they should. And it shouldn't be hard to find the velocity of the round and just have a variable for each type of round that controls the length of the tracer based on speed. Beyond that, there's not much they could do except maybe make it shorter over time, to simulate the change in length as it get further from you (and the change in velocity over range).

During the day, it should be far less apparent what the color of the tracer is, and it should be much harder to see. As it is, day or night, they mind as well be using IR Lasers all the damn time, because you know exactly where the fire is coming from.

Yes, to me as well these Arma 3 tracers look like laser beams. There isn't enough detail in them. They look like perfect laser beams that you see in Sci Fi. I can understand this isn't such a big deal and most people probably won't be bothered by it, but I wouldn't mind a mod that tries to get that detail right.

Definitely agree with the current tracers looking like blaster rounds. Whether or not they're intentionally simulating the CNN effect, I'd much rather see them try to simulate what the human eye sees. In this case that would mean shorter trail lengths but more of them (for the minigun at least) and actually have a lot more of them spray/ricochet off after impact. That transition from incoming streak to slow bouncing ball as they ricochet might be hard to do, but man it would look good. Also having them a bit brighter illuminated would be good.

Blastcore for Arma2 was a good example of what can be achieved ingame. It looked great and didn't impact performance that much.