Sign in to follow this  
Khangirey

Arma 3 Lag Fix (Maybe?)

I recently copied over my Arma 2 launch settings over to A3, and it seemed to increase performance greatly. I can now play at 60 fps on over 50 man servers and actually enjoy the alpha. Here's what I put:

"-maxmem=8192" "-maxvram=4042" "-cpucount=4" "-exthreads=7" -nosplash -skipintro

Obviously, you're going to have to change some of the numerical values.

If you have a quadcore CPU or higher, leave exthreads at 7.

This fixed the lag (Somewhat) for me, so I'd like to share it with the community if no one has done so already.

Post your specs. :)

Here are the settings for dual core i5s: "-cpucount=2" "-maxmem=4042" "-maxvram=1024 OR 2048" "-exthreads=3" "-nosplash"

So what is the correct one for i5 2500K? With 8 gb mem and GTX 570 ?

So what is the correct one for i5 2500K? With 8 gb mem and GTX 570 ?

Probably "-cpucount=4" "-maxmem=6144" "-maxvram=1280" "-exthreads=3" "-nosplash"

So if I have a i5 2500k and 16GB of ram with a gtx 570 OC what should my settings be? Thanks in advance!

I have gotten members in our unit to do this through the Arma 2 launcher and most say they see a difference in their performance. If we can show that it works maybe we could get this post or the other one about A2 launcher stickied to help the masses.

But I am unsure if any one has played with the vram setting

I recently copied over my Arma 2 launch settings over to A3, and it seemed to increase performance greatly. I can now play at 60 fps on over 50 man servers and actually enjoy the alpha. Here's what I put:

"-maxmem=8192" "-maxvram=4042" "-cpucount=4" "-exthreads=7" -nosplash -skipintro

Obviously, you're going to have to change some of the numerical values.

If you have a quadcore CPU or higher, leave exthreads at 7.

This fixed the lag (Somewhat) for me, so I'd like to share it with the community if no one has done so already.

You have 4gb video ram :eek:?

Edited by Surmav

-nosplash -cpucount=4 -exthreads=7 -world=empty -dx9 -maxmem=4096 -maxVRAM=999

gtx 570 OC 1280mb vram,

16gb where 7 gb is used up by arma 3 (ramdisk)

still really laggy.

@OP, What GPU do yuo have?

-nosplash -cpucount=4 -exthreads=7 -world=empty -dx9 -maxmem=4096 -maxVRAM=999

gtx 570 OC 1280mb vram,

16gb where 7 gb is used up by arma 3 (ramdisk)

still really laggy.

Max vram 999? And below your saying you have 1280mb vram, thats 1gb video card. Your limiting your video card power to 999 mb lol, why would you want to set it smaller, of course performance will be then much slower.

Max vram 999? And now your saying you have 1280mb vram, thats 1gb video card. Your limiting your video card power to 999 mb lol, why would you want to set smaller, it will lag more if it uses less power.

It crashes on Arma 2 with out of memory if you set "Default Memory"

It crashes on Arma 3 with "Arma 3 has stopped working" if i dont limit it below 1000

It crashes on Arma 2 with out of memory if you set "Default Memory"

It crashes on Arma 3 with "Arma 3 has stopped working" if i dont limit it below 1000

It just crashed for me too if i had it set over 1000, my be arma 3 can't use whole video memory yet, or this -maxvram is bulls* and shouldn't be there at all. I'd hold it as default and wouldn't touch it at all.

Edit:

great.. Restored old config and still can't get game working, crashes every time on mission load....

Edited by Surmav

My current settings are -cpucount=4 -maxmem=6144 -maxvram=2047 -exthreads=3 -nosplash and i'm no longer getting any micro stutter. I also defragged my drive last night.

In game settings:

BASIC**

VISIBILITY = 2835

OBJECT = 1662

SHADOW = 100

RENDERING**

RESOLUTION = 1920*1080

VSYNC = Enabled

ALIASING = *2

PPAA = FXAA Standard

ATOC = All trees & Grass

POST PROCESS = Disabled

HDR = Standard

ANISOTROPIC FILTERING = Very High

PIP = High

DYNAMIC LIGHTS = High

QUALITY**

TEXTURE = Very High

OBJECTS = Very High

TERRAIN = Very High

CLOUD = High

SHADOW = High

PARTICLES = High

With these settings flying around in the editor i'm getting 35 - 60fps. Obviously i'm still tweaking, but yesterday it was stuttering like crazy. So either the defrag or the settings or both got rid of my stuttering issues.

I even played and completed the single player infantry mission without it stuttering every second. So i'm happy now.

:)

Before i forget i'm using nVidia driver 314.07

Edited by Law-Giver
Additional text!

When you people realize that nobody has issues in Editor (unless you add tons of AI) or in Infantry mission.

Try populated MP server or atleast Helicopter showcase which is much heavier than Infantry mission.

When you people realize that nobody has issues in Editor (unless you add tons of AI) or in Infantry mission.

Try populated MP server or atleast Helicopter showcase which is much heavier than Infantry mission.

The point of the editor with nothing in it is to give you a base setup with something to work from. Of course if you dump sh*t loads of ai in you're going to get a drop but i was merely posting my setup so people with issues can get an idea of what someone else is running that works. There's no need to post such a negative response. If you have nothing constructive to post then don't post!

The point of the editor with nothing in it is to give you a base setup with something to work from. Of course if you dump sh*t loads of ai in you're going to get a drop but i was merely posting my setup so people with issues can get an idea of what someone else is running that works. There's no need to post such a negative response. If you have nothing constructive to post then don't post!

Benchmarking on scenario where even people on notebooks are getting decent fps makes 0 sense.

Also i believe this this thread belongs to the "Alpha Troubleshooting", and lastly i dont see why you're raging over me but i got used to it on internet. :rolleyes:

And if you want something constructive on it, then there you go:

-maxvram=2047 is useless, as Arma3 uses vram with no issues, i'm usually between 1.6-1.9GB VRAM without using it

-maxmem=6144 Arma3 is using 32bit executable, in my opinion another useless command

-exthreads=3 only for Intels, no effect on AMD CPU's but i dont know the effects of it

-nosplash at most it will save few mb of RAM

-cpucount=4 with this one i have mixed results, the cpu usage looks different but i dont see a real performance change

Edited by k3lt

Benchmarking on scenario where even people on notebooks are getting decent fps makes 0 sense.

Also i believe this this thread belongs to the "Alpha Troubleshooting", and lastly i dont see why you're raging over me but i got used to it on internet. :rolleyes:

Sorry if i seemed a little abrupt k3lt but you have to understand that not everyone has played ArmA1/2 or 3 and they're probably new to it all. What may seem easy to you or me with setting ArmA3 up maybe confusing to others. I've been playing these games since OFP first came out. I was only posting my setup for anyone who needed a leg up so to speak. Hope we're cool mate.

And i'm still tweaking my setup and i agree some may be pointless.

;)

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

Also if you want something constructive on it, then there you go:

-maxvram=2047 is useless, as Arma3 uses vram with no issues, i'm usually between 1.6-1.9GB VRAM without using it

-maxmem=6144 Arma3 is using 32bit executable, in my opinion another useless command

-exthreads=3 only for Intels, no effect on AMD CPU's but i dont know the effects of it

-nosplash at most it will save few mb of RAM

-cpucount=4 with this one i have mixed results, the cpu usage looks different but i dont see a real performance change

See that's the point i was making. People will find that helpful. My maxmem is 2047, i'd copied previous posters by mistake but the graffix settings was what i was making a point of. ;)

Update**

After removing -maxmem=2047 -cpucount etc etc i have to agree with you k3lt. They made no difference to my performance is any way. I left the visual settings the same as posted above. ;)

Edited by Law-Giver

After removing -maxmem=2047 -cpucount etc etc i have to agree with you k3lt. They made no difference to my performance is any way. I left the visual settings the same as posted above. ;)

So what did you keep, and did it improved your FPS in anyway?

EDIT:

It might only be a problem with my computer (as I sometimes have the same problem with other games) but If I play with the windows task manager left open, the game run way smoother here

I have:

gpu: gtx 280 OC

cpu: amd phenom x4 940 black edition

4 go memory

EDIT2: yea, the problem I had was that a virus was loading up all my cpu, but It was hiding when Task manger was running!

Edited by nicolasroger

running it on a gtx460, having some lag when going overall high quality, but on standard seems fine. In A2 i used to follow a few settings to play ACE such as setting shadows to very high so it would take on Vram and that would really make a difference, is there any tips like that for a better run at the A3 overall high?

Isaac:

-Open steam

-go in the game library

-right click on "Arma 3 alpha"

-select "properties"

-click on "define launch options"

-add in the commands people are talking about

-psuedoFPSincrease=40 -strawclutching=1

I find when using the above the game seems to run better and with an fps counter I feel there is an increase, the strawclutchung command just verifies the pseudo command is other giving you all the hope you need.

:rolleyes:

So you're saying this is all placebo driven then... Revolutionary! I even dare say a dangerous notion to share. I hope you're prepared for the pitchfork wielding masses.

-psuedoFPSincrease=40 -strawclutching=1

I find when using the above the game seems to run better and with an fps counter I feel there is an increase, the strawclutchung command just verifies the pseudo command is other giving you all the hope you need.

:rolleyes:

Please refrain from posting if you don't have anything constructive to add. Thank you.

Yup my point is without any real evidence these commands directly effect performance rather than perception its difficult to look at them constructively, if BIS themselves stated these commands will in fact help you then that is who I would rather take the instruction from as they did build the game right...

My original comment was meant as a light hearted response to help people think about producing evidence to help other but alas the humour monster decided I've been a bad boy. Never mind.

I have 2 gigs of vRAM. I find I get better performance if I input the value of aprox. vRAM which you can find in Dxdiag.

Here are my specs for anyone who's interested.

i5 3570k

GTX 670 FTW Sig 2

Gskill 8gb 1600