Sign in to follow this  
Horner

Extensiveness of Scripting in the Alpha

Is there any information on just how extensive the scripting in the alpha will be? Will it contain most/all of the commands currently in ArmA 2 + new commands? Just want to know, I have a project planned and would like to know if I should even waste my time, thanks in advance :D

i think i read somwhere that it will be as moddable as Arma2/OA but without new tools + scripting language will be SQF

Edited by ryanbeckey0

I'm aware, but my question is how extensive the scripting commands/language will be.

ah ok was just chucking my 2 cents in

and i have no idea, dont think anyone has asked this question yet

I'm aware, but my question is how extensive the scripting commands/language will be.

Since it's going to be SQF, you can probably look at Take On Helicopters and have a good idea of what's in it.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Scripting_Commands

All scripting commands up to and including take on helicopters and VBS1+2. Arma 3 Alpha will likely introduce new ones on top of this. I think we can expect all of this to be functional, additionally, you have Java to work with. (Though I don´t know how this works in regards to the game, as I am no scripting person.)

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Scripting_Commands

All scripting commands up to and including take on helicopters and VBS1+2. Arma 3 Alpha will likely introduce new ones on top of this. I think we can expect all of this to be functional, additionally, you have Java to work with. (Though I don´t know how this works in regards to the game, as I am no scripting person.)

Ok he's asking about the alpha. I can tell you that you are wrong right now. BIS has said Java won't be in the alpha.

Also where'd you figure that all of VBS2's scripting commands will be implemented? Highly doubt that.

Ok he's asking about the alpha. I can tell you that you are wrong right now. BIS has said Java won't be in the alpha.

Also where'd you figure that all of VBS2's scripting commands will be implemented? Highly doubt that.

Yeh, my bad... I didn´t think to make the clear distinction about the specialty commands, and I didn´t hear that BI stated Java will not be in the Alpha, so I apologize for that.

However, I would think that they would make the existing Arma specific stuff available, since their own work likely depends on that. New scripting commands may be introduced gradually to test them, possibly, but as far as the existing stuff, I don´t see the sense in restricting that specifically for the community effort on the alpha.

But I guess we´ll know for sure once the Alpha is out, at the latest.

I asked this a while back but sadly nobody responded. I highly doubt VBS and/or TOH scripting commands will be implemented since these games have nothing to do with arma (especially VBS). Even though ToS uses the same syntax and engine I see little to no reason to implement specific scripting commands as they are focused on TOH. Also considering VBS does not use the same engine as ArmA there's little to no chance scripting commands will be implemented from there.

There will be new scripting commands though (that's what I've been getting so far), and I certainly hope documentation will be available for these in time.

To get back to your original question, no, the editor and scripting won't be limited, just like modding won't be limited.

Going by each release so far, I'd expect all of the old commands to be there, along with whatever has been added. BIS has said they want to support modding/mission editing from the beginning, I doubt they'd limit us on this.

Even though ToS uses the same syntax and engine I see little to no reason to implement specific scripting commands as they are focused on TOH.

Huh ? TOH and Arma scripting are almost identical. The question also wasn't weather the commands are identical, but rather what to expect. Hence, my comment "Look at TOH and you'll have a good idea" still stands and I'd be surprised if the A3 scripting language would be any different from what you see in TOH and Arma.

In the alpha will be all commands from previous Arma games plus new A3 commands. There won't be all script commands from ToH/VBS, but few of them were imported in A3 as well.

In the alpha will be all commands from previous Arma games plus new A3 commands. There won't be all script commands from ToH/VBS, but few of them were imported in A3 as well.

Are you guys going to update the Wiki for us or at least give us a rough list?

BI is compiling a list as i recall

(shame, i can't find the source)

as i understood, it was being compiled by a BI dev, i supposed to be made public.

Edited by gammadust

Are you guys going to update the Wiki for us or at least give us a rough list?

I suppose there will be ingame documentation accessible via F1 as it's always been there, but nonetheless a BIKI update would be great aswell (although ingame documentation is obviously enough)

BI is compiling a list as i recall

(shame, i can't find the source)

as i understood, it was being compiled by a BI dev, i supposed to be made public.

hehe there you go :)

^^ :) (as soon as i was left in digging those, with no recollection of which BI dev... i just quit, lol) it turned out it was the one above...

It looks like we will have a ton of things to work with. I cant wait.

Thanks Druid for the reply, I was just wondering as with the new engine, etc. Some old commands would need reshaped or possibly remade.

Wow! This command is going to be a fantastic addition: allMapMarkers. Before if you did not know the name of a marker, there was no way of referencing it. This command will return the names of all markers on the map in an array.

Do you think current ArmA2 scripts will work in the Alpha? Like say for instance using an ammo crate filler script from ArmA2 an replacing weapom/ammo classnames.Also intersted in possibility of vehicle respawn scripts too.