Sign in to follow this  
THEBLITZ6794

Conventional Combat Emphasis

I really hope arma 3 focuses on conventional combat, similar to ofp. Stealth missions are a good way to mix the game up, but the engine just isnt good for them. The engine is great for mass battles. ArmA 2 had a great campaign but it was rather awkward. I wouldve loved to play as a CDF soldier fighting the RUssian horde or a marine in the crazy area up by Manhatten.

Two armies bashing heads would be an enormous undertaking. You'd die a lot.

I disagree about the stealth

ArmA2's engine is great for stealth missions too. Much more so than many other "pseudo-stealth" games where enemies can only tell the difference between you standing (100% visible) and magical crouch stealth (100% invisible and unheard).

From my observation here AI even reacts to how fast your body rotates, let alone noise you make. Pretty sure light sources play a huge role too.

As for conventional warfare - BIS once stated the campaign will be more like BAF meaning more like OFP Res (hopefully they didn't backpedal from this)

I don't mind actually. Uphill battles where you fight against a stronger force with tactics not with huge firepower are fun.

Edited by metalcraze

I disagree about the stealth

ArmA2's engine is great for stealth missions too. Much more so than many other "pseudo-stealth" games where enemies can only tell the difference between you standing (100% visible) and magical crouch stealth (100% invisible and unheard).

From my observation here AI even reacts to how fast your body rotates, let alone noise you make. Pretty sure light sources play a huge role too.

As for conventional warfare - BIS once stated the campaign will be more like BAF meaning more like OFP Res (hopefully they didn't backpedal from this)

I don't mind actually. Uphill battles where you fight against a stronger force with tactics not with huge firepower are fun.

I never played BAF, can you elaborate?

I really hope it doesnt become a case of super squad vs whole Iranian army ala CoD

It does sound more like Resistance though I agree

BAF is very much like OFP Resistance (except really short)

You command a british paratrooper squad (9 people) fighting insurgents. When your squadmates die they die forever and you also have to scavenge for weapons and ammo (eventually) - all of which transfer to the following missions.

It's nothing like supersquad vs. a whole army. Insurgents give you a really hard time, especially in 3rd mission where you need to defend the outpost and also go into nearby areas to deal with problems there - all at the same time.

It seems like the campaign at least partially centre around special operators embedding themselves in an indigenous population. It seems unlikely that the primary focus is two armies clashing.

It starts with spec ops type missions, but I read that it ends up with conventional forces landing. Can't remember where now....

I hope the game has a great stealth system AND Great war capabilities. What way if I feel like being a SEAL Team or something I can sneak into an enemy compound and do what SEALs do, but if I want the U.S. Army to go Toe to Toe with Iran or any modded nation I would love that too, Just like how Arma 2 is. No reason to make the game just one thing its best to have it do everything which is what I believe they are already doing.

arma 2 was more large scale armies i hope arma 3 is more stealthy

Not that much, compare to Armed Assault.

Anyway, the strength of Arma games is versatility :)

Arma 2 goes from stealth to large scale warfare and everywhere in between. Sometimes the problem is players see a large map/terrain and feel the need to try and fill it, or fill large areas of it, you don’t need to do that.

Everything is there, its really down to how you design your missions, you can have just as much enjoyment using a tiny area of a terrain/map for stealth or skirmish type missions, as you can with large areas of a terrain, having huge land and air battles.

Its whatever rocks your boat, ah, there you go, thinking of boats, naval battles! now they could be improved for A3.;).

arma 2 was more large scale armies i hope arma 3 is more stealthy

Eh? ArmA2 was about 4 specop guys that cannot die.

I am not sure if Navy Seals are in the game as the Spec Ops team is mainly British Commandos from what I know, but still stealth and Toe to Toe would be great XD

It sounds like it will start like Resistance and evolve into something like the latter half of A2, once you have your army built (and it sounds like NATO reinforcements eventually show up?)

Then again, Resistance starts going conventional too so maybe its just like Resistance. I like the premise though a lot. I just hope it show cases some good ole conventional killing fields

Arma 2 did have a fair amount of conventional war...its just the missions all blew in an almost hilarious fashion. Manhatten comes to mind for me. It made it sound like it was Vietnam up there or something, when really it was just 4 guys going to random objectives, picking someone up, or killing a few Chedaki. Having squads of marines temporarily attached, random ambushes, and what not wouldve really immersed the mission. Dogs of War had great potential imo but just fell flat due to bugs and mission design. Badlands was neat.

Edited by THEBLITZ6794

Hi, im tired of the SF squad vs. the world history; don't see much change on the history line and the gameplay. Let's C ya

[...] evolve into something like the latter half of A2[...]

I seriously hope it won't. That was the worst part. Neverending BMPs spawning out of thin air, zero tactics involved, whoever overflows the enemy with more respawning bodies - wins.

Then again, Resistance starts going conventional too so maybe its just like Resistance. I like the premise though a lot. I just hope it show cases some good ole conventional killing fields

It will be only logical that once you are able to gather enough men, weapons and armor - you will be able to go toe to toe with an enemy.

What BIS needs to do to make it right is a mix between infantry, vehicle and stealth missions (and I don't mean "stealth" where you just wipe out 100 helpless blind idiots like in modern "stealth" games, but with an emphasis on real stealth - you come in, you do an objective, you disappear, enemies never realize you even were there until it's too late - think stealing docs or sabotaging armor on Kolgujev from OFP)

I do foresee a lack of large scale combined arms combat where you aren't leading in the campaign. Which is a shame because it is something the game excels at, and we havent really seen since CWC.

We used to appreciate the feeling of being a small cog in a large machine, just being 1 man as part of something larger. Unfortunately, we keep going the specops route where a small team takes on the world, and/or you end up leading everyone yourself. Which is cool, but not all the fucking time.

Edited by NeMeSiS

I do foresee a lack of large scale combined arms combat where you aren't leading in the campaign. Which is a shame because it is something the game excels at, and we havent really seen since CWC.

We used to appreciate the feeling of being a small cog in a large machine, just being 1 man as part of something larger. Unfortunately, we keep going the specops route where a small team takes on the world, and/or you end up leading everyone yourself. Which is cool, but not all the fucking time.

My thought exactly.

In how many OFP CWC/Res missions one could see big combined battles going on? Action just spawned around the players mission path - there wasn't so much going on elsewhere! Just increase the viewdistance settings and one can see the calm + lifeless nature of the island.... Guess there are only a very few players who would like to be forced to play A3 at max 800-1000m.... ;)

In how many OFP CWC/Res missions one could see big combined battles going on? Action just spawned around the players mission path - there wasn't so much going on elsewhere! Just increase the viewdistance settings and one can see the calm + lifeless nature of the island.... Guess there are only a very few players who would like to be forced to play A3 at max 800-1000m.... ;)

Compared to ArmA2, which has some sparcely spawned groups spread around, which the player can mop up on his own.

Also, not every mission has to be like that, the CWC campaign had a good mix of stealth, being a grunt and leading. Currently it seems to be just stealth and leading, both of which are a crap introduction to the game of you are completely new anyway.

Hi, one of the things that i'd like of the CWC was that i was outnumbered and we had to do more with less, scavenge weapons and ammo and that not every fight ended with a smashing victory by our side; sometimes i had the feeling that i'd failed the mission even completing the objectives. I didn't had that feeling with the ArmA or the A2, willing to see the next mission; they should review the history line on the SP/MP missions and campaign that BAS did on Nogova and Tonal. Let's C ya

Sure, with better A3 training camp scenarious incl. good voice acting new people will be better prepared for their A3 campaign deployment. BIS said that they also working on userfriendly ingame help support for A3. Imo the player shouldn't be able to switch into so many characters/careers during a campaign just for the sake of introducing or showing all game features. Better to have some very well made sp missions that do explain them in detail instead of rushing the player through or showing it only very briefly.

Also, not every mission has to be like that, the CWC campaign had a good mix of stealth, being a grunt and leading. Currently it seems to be just stealth and leading, both of which are a crap introduction to the game of you are completely new anyway.

I certainly enjoyed being just a part of a large tank column clearing out them commies on Malden, smoothly going from M60 to M1 and then to leading the tank platoon

I'm hoping the missions you do have direct effect on your tactical situation. For example, destroying a tank depot or an artillery dump would then have a predetermined effect on the enemies' available equipment or support.