Sign in to follow this  
matt714

Armed Assault 2 vs OFP

I haven't played any BI games in a while, I'd say a few years. However, back in the days, I was a huge OFP fan, mostly due to its heavy modding community. You could literally play with any military vehicle that was ever designed, due to the abundance of addons. Even today stuff is still being released.

How does AA2 or even the original AA fare when compared to OFP? From what I've seen, from a quick glimpse of modding sites, is that there is not a lot of content. (BI now releasing games in a rather quick succession probably does not help)

Have many people ditched OFP for AA 2, or it's mostly a new community? I know the game is prettier, but wise how is it, comparatively?

Sorry if it's the wrong section, did know where to ask.

Speaking for myself only, I have still OFP installed only for insane amount of SP content. Every aspect of gameplay was so much improved there's hardly any other reason I can think of. Nostalgia too, I guess.

As for moding when compared to OFP modding it's quality over quanity. Improvements in ArmA2 engine combined with CBA (Community Base Addon) provide not only more possibilities, but also allow to combine different addons/mods with minimal conflicts. For example in online play all-in-one realism mod ACE is often combined with dozems gameplay tweaks, like ShackTac fireteam HUD, ASR_AI mod, Smookie animations replacer or LordJarhead's soundmod.

Edited by boota

"ArmA 2 is for boys.

OFP was for men."

(WRC vs Group B for those who don't know where this comes from)

I personally play both - have OFP with tons of mods, and A2 with about the same amount of mods.

(a bit less lately due to using mostly fully Combined Ops feature supported mods)

From what I've seen, from a quick glimpse of modding sites, is that there is not a lot of content.

You mad bro? Go to Armaholic!

I guess Armaholic don't have 11 different AK packs, 9 "US Weapon packs", and 22 T-72 reskins. ;). I still mod my flashpoint from time to time.

It seems like the modding for ArmA 2 takes place in a lot of really high quality, large mods rather than helter skelter addons. For sure, though, if you decided to pick up A2:CO and dive into the mod scene I really doubt you would be bored anytime soon.

Imo, A2 atmosphere is really similar to ofp. In A1, that same atmosphere/feeling was missing for me. While they all are cut from the same cloth, I can't put my finger on what made A1 a lesser game than ofp or A2. Same game engine, loads of mods etc etc.

Alot of hardcore ofp players looked down on A1 for the same reasons I think and chose to stick it out with ofp instead of going to A1. I would say that now, it's safe to put down ofp and come over and join the A2 community.:cool:

my 2c/opinions

regards,

david

If you loved OFP, you should love ArmA2. The engine changes a lot, and while things are sometimes worst than in OFP because of a greater complexity AI which is less straightforward, the overall feeling is very good, thanks to the amazing constant patching process. Modwise, the diversity of addons is much less impressive, even if some big mods of high quality are still alive and kicking. Regarding the community, i can't really say that things are better, lot's of major members and modders have left since.

Edited by ProfTournesol

Christmas makes me nostaligic so that of course means firing up....CWR2 Rearmed and playing thru CWC fully modded!

It's a testament to the greatness of the campaign paired with truly revolutionary new effects, AI behaviour and sounds. Watching my AI lead squad prowl thru Morton in tacticool pace, as well oiled three man fireteams is a thing of beauty.

It's hard to decide. First impressions are important for assessment. OFP ran just fine on the hardware of the time, or at least the configuration utility did its job. I played ArmA at low settings for years. I enjoyed it very much, but of course you want to be able to run it at high detail. When I upgraded my computer it was a completely new game and a fresh start. But it didn't change the game experience that much. Graphics is just like sugar. You want it, but don't get satisfied anyway.

ArmA2 was largely unplayable, so my impression of that game was wrecked. But, some years later I got a new computer and again, it was a whole new game. The SP campaign is very objectionable in terms of story and bias, but somewhat interesting if you want to have a, probably, realistic look at how things work. It's the MP that's the real deal though. Very playable, only drawback is that you need some nice user interface hardware for immersion, and a good CPU.

None of the games leave you with the same impression as OFP. But memorable moments are easily created, especially in MP in both ArmA and ArmA 2.

None of the games leave you with the same impression as OFP. But memorable moments are easily created, especially in MP in both ArmA and ArmA 2.

I'll put this very crudely, as kinds of metaphors and also brain psychology. OFP was like your first hit of crack cocaine. You never experienced nothing like it before, and you chase that same high again, but you'll never get it again... EVER. Basically, you'd never experienced anything like ofp before, at the time. So there's less adrenaline/dopamines flying around in your brain. ofp, to you, me and many...will hold a special place in our gaming hearts. Nothing will ever be the same, because we have the inability to feel the same way about another "arma"...

That's probably a little off of the deep end. Anyhow, My aunts a psychologist and we were just talking about crack addicts the otherday. I couldn't help myself but to compare :cool:

I came back to ARMA2 after years and years away from OFP:CWC, skipping ARMA and the other Operation Flashpoint "games" in between. I love ARMA2, although I find the modded multiplayer experience to be my true calling - ACE and ACRE and the like. The singleplayer experience to me is less fluid than it was in CWC, no real explanation why - it could be as simple as that my expectations back that long ago were considerably lower for games than they are now. Be that as it may, ARMA2 is definitely the modern 'shooter' of choice - if the genre is defined by CoD and BF3 and the like, ARMA2 isn't even in that genre at all, it's that superior - to MY tastes and in MY opinion, granted.

Well it was really nice after an hardware upgrade to see something more beyound 800-1000m! But increasing viewdistance was a gamble - to be able to play throug a mission or not. Hmmm, all those creative destructions aka origami folds in OFP/CWA and instant-burning/rusty wrecks of A1/QG.... :D