Sign in to follow this  
tlx

Public master server for ofp:r

Score one for Corporate Checkoslavakia They took the GaySpy Money and Ran! ..First Oxygen then this (oops..shouldn't get into the O2 argument again.right?)...I guess the Veteran OFP players who are using ASE don't matter..

I tried Americas Army..went through the Training and then Saw the next step was GaySpy..Ended it right there... No thanks...

Peardog

I have yet to purchase Resistance.

I purchased the UK version of OFP early last July. I was one of a handful of

USA players at the time. We all had to use Gamespy to connect to mostly

UK players hosting games. Eventually more people from USA were hosting

games through Gamespy and pings got better because they were closer.

One thing that always puzzled me, why with my DSL connection was there

rarely pings under 150? About October 2001 I found All Seeing Eye.

All Seeing Eye showed dozens of pings below 150. I never saw a ping on

Gamespy less than 120, but with All Seeing Eye I had at least a dozen or

more games to chose with pings less than 100. It doesn't take a genius to

figure out which software to use ASE or GS. I checked back and forth and

the results were always the same ASE showed many more servers than

Gamespy.

I have read that Gamespy is the only frontend multiplayer software that will

detect OFPresistance servers. If that is a fact, then I doubt that I will

purchase Resistance. Gamespy was not good software a year ago and it is

worse today. The decision by B.I. or Codemasters to limit server detection

to only Gamespy ignores the dedicated OFP user base whom as a group all

use ASE. Check out the main dedicated servers in USA, Stoners is #1,

Fraghaus is #2, these servers are busy 24/7 almost all players connect through

ASE or directly. I have cruised most of the other serious dedicated servers,

to many to mention. I've chatted with the players. We all are using ASE.

Those that exclusively use Gamespy, as long as your happy that is great.

I have no desire to direct you to another service. But for those of us that

left Gamespy for many, many reasons. B.I. needs to support us too.

B.I. please make a patch that allows ASE to detect and show Resistance

servers. I will await this fix before purchasing Resistance.

The introduction of a built-in browser is hardly inspired however it is a welcome one nevertheless - I see no viable argument against that. But would it not be better for the user and therefore the game if they could access online m/p OFP:R through A.S.E as well as G.S and the ingame browser? And why remove such a good aspect from the original game for the update? It seems obvious that the userbase would be increased significantly by supporting other game browsers and is consequently limited by not doing so.

Quite a bizarre thing to do I think - unless of course there was significant pecuniary advantage to be gained by not supporting other game browsing software......

With the blatently obvious aside, on to my own personal feelings: Gamespy is resource greedy and flawed and also 'forces' you to watch irritating adverts presumably unless you pay to get rid of them. All Seeing Eye is considerably more efficient than gamespy at its job, you'd hardly know it was running, it has a better interface that is easier to read and easier to navigate as well as having the buddylist etc, oh and you're not force fed with crap adverts.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Should I buy OFP:R, it would be for the MP aspect only. If I have to use gamespy in any form to play online, I will not purchase OFP:R.<span id='postcolor'>

I second that.

regards

I wholeheartedly agree... ASE is soo much better than gayspy!

please do something about this BiS, cause u are really digging your own graves here, with regard to veteran players at least...not "that" many people play OPF, as opposed to say CS, so you should conserve the players u have.

Yes, I agree that All Seeing Eye is better than Gayspy, but is that a reason not to buy resistance?? I mean most of the time, at least for me, there are a set number of servers you play on. Most people dont just get on and say "hmm i think ill go look for a random server to play on today...". All the stuff about a favorites folder you can already do on ofp, just put the IP's in your hosts.txt folder. A buddy list... what for? Once you're in the game you are with all your buddies anyway, and theres nobody on the internet who doesnt have some form of instant messaging, so it's not that hard to communicate with them outside of the game. I dont have a problem with no ASE support because there are only about 5 servers i play on anyway, so i dont see a point in looking up every available ofp server in the world just for the heck of it. Just my two cents though...

There was a lot more filtering options with the ASE.

I used a combination of ASE to find good servers and the hosts.txt feature of the normal OFP so i could check them from ingame.

2 points.

1. Why the assumption that Gayspy paid anything to Bis? Perhaps at the time the easiest and simplest solution for an ingame browser was Gayspy?

2. Where are the ads with the ingame browser?

We are getting off track here.  The point that is trying to be made, without all the side stepping to other tangents, is that BIS should have known better than to support GS alone and not include ASE.

I would like an explanation from BIS on this topic, as I'm sure everyone else would.  I would also like to hear, FROM BIS, weather they plan to address this in future updates.

Yes, the ingame Browser is Wondeful, if your playing the campaign, and then want to just fire up a online game. However, if your like most gamers, (i'd say about 85%, purley specualtion), then you want to use a program that has support for alot of games. This way, you can go play Quake 3, JK2, then move on to OFP after you finish those other games, all this without having to open up any new programs, just by clicking on a server in your Favorites box. Now, with resistance, if your one of these players mentioned above, you either have to fire up OFP, and use the ingame browser(which, apperently, has half as many feture as The Eye, but i wouldn't know, i don't have Resistance yet), or you have to go through that laggy, bloated, Ad-Infested GameSpy Arcade. I think that is the reason why most people are angry, because they don't want to use GSA, for obviouse reasons, when , if BIS added support, they could use a MUCH better program. I mean, this is simple human logic! Why use the bloated piece of crap, when you can have something better. its like choosing that nice Pinto over a Hemicuda!

I'll keep this post short and to the point. Gamespy spits and ASE swallows if you catch my drift. BIS your making a turn for the worst here. If I were in charge I'd tell Gayspy "TO HELL WITH YOUR DIRTY NOOB MONEY! I DEMAND QUALITY INTERNET GAMING!".

This whole game is fucked now. Get a new publisher, and fix the game the way it was.

The latest word is that America's Army will be allowing support for ASE, I just hope BIS will follow suit!

Bwah. For six months after OFP was first released people were bitching about how there was no ingame browser. Now that we have a very nice ingame browser, what do people do? Bitch even more.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TumZ @ July 07 2002,22:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The latest word is that America's Army will be allowing support for ASE<span id='postcolor'>

Uhoh does that mean we'll be losing the CS crowd? Oh no the horror biggrin.gif

Okay, I don't like gamespy as much as the next person. BUT!, how does the ingame browser work/look/etc. I mean, I haven't seen it yet. (Until the 10th anyway) Could someone get some screeneis up here for me and expalin how this works? Using gamespy as a 3rd party sucks, but how does it work as the in-game browser?

The ingame browser will only see games that were hosted through Gamespy. And you know how people feel about hosting through Gamespy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NavyEEL @ July 06 2002,21:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A buddy list... what for?  Once you're in the game you are with all your buddies anyway, and theres nobody on the internet who doesnt have some form of instant messaging, so it's not that hard to communicate with them outside of the game.<span id='postcolor'>

Lets see. If you play on multiple servers, you need to see where your friends are. The buddy list is necesary because all my friends, and all the regulars to SHoP server, turn their aim, yahoo msgr, icq, and/or msn off to avoid distraction, or having your game screen collapsed by an incoming icq. The point basicly, is outside communication isnt possible for most, and the buddy list is a very usefull tool.

I've never had ICQ interfere with a game of Opf, I hear if someone has messaged me but it never collapses my screen smile.gif

i must agree with stoner that gayspy sucks horrendous cock and that ASE kicks it in the ass

i used gayspy arcade and hated waiting for 15+ minutes to get past all the ads just to see a list of servers for a game... then sometimes while waiting another 10 minutes for gamespy to put the name of every i mean every server responding or not that has ever been used by gayspy and never be albo to find a good server and when i did all it was, was the "waiting room" in gayspy then my friends found ASE and i tryed it when i was optimistic and when i first tryed it i was flabbergasted by the amount of options i had for filtering

BIS JUST LET ALL GAME FINDING PROGRAMS DETECT RESISTANCE GAMES!!!!! NOT SAYING DROP GAMESPY.... SINCE I KNOW SOME PEOPLE DO USE IT LIKE n00bz...

BUT WHY THEM ALONE AND LEAVE THE SMART ONES THAT GOT AWAY FROM THE SHIT IN THE DARK AND MAKE THEM GO BACK TO THE SHIT?

Hmm did you think that if you typed the last bit all in caps people would take you more seriously or something? sad.gif

Feature=_this Select 0

StatusofFeature=_this Select 1

ActiontoTake=_this Select 2

#Start

~1

?(Alive Player):Goto "Complain"

?Not(Alive Player):Exit

#Complain

titletext[Format["Damn BIS I can't believe that %1 was %2!  They'd better %3 or they'll lose all of us!!"],Feature,StatusofFeature,ActiontoTake],"PLAIN"]

Goto "Start"

Such is the nature of things. =)

I use ASE or hosts.txt.  I dislike in-game browsers for the most part.  Can't really say why.  I just do.  They give me that "ucky" feeling.

=o)

ASE RULZ! Gamespy is okay, but the adds and the bogus pings are annoying. I think the chat room is nice to meet other folk or play games, but sometimes ya get some stupid ass children spamming in there.