Sign in to follow this  
Opticalsnare

PlanetSide 2

I haven't played PS2 for months but is it still impossible to capture the planet with the timeout before another invasion is possible or is it still about pushing the other fraction to their gate and making them sit there?

On a positive note, they seem to have increased the draw distance of units, vehicles and tracers in the last patch. I gave it a quick try yesterday and felt like I could see much more of what was going on around me.

Also, the "flak" buff is quite noticable. I spent about half an hour in my AA max yesterday, ripping Scythes to shreds with my certed dual bursters. Very satisfying. :D

Doesn't work for me, the loading reticle just goes round and round :confused:

if it works on my iphone now, should work on you pc i guess

The hacking problem in this game seems to be getting a lot worse. Just this weekend I've seen four separate confirmed instances of cheaters hiding underground or within objects, shooting other players with impunity. Also a bunch of suspected aimbotters (+90° snap-aim insta-headshot), aswell as some serial TK'ers and on one occasion even groups of TK'ers taking out half of our army. It's ridiculous.

You'd think that an MMO of all things would have such things fairly well locked down, especially since the game's engine is being marketed toward other MMOFPS devs and SOE are so vocally against cheats of any kind. At the very least, speed hacks and teleporting underground are something that should be fixable server-side, but after 2+ months they're still around.

it's quite obvious that PlanetSide 2 needs BattlEye ;)

it's quite obvious that PlanetSide 2 needs BattlEye ;)

Than the player base would get kicked every ten minutes, no? :D

After the recent patch, the view distance threat system hasn't improved on anything. Also some new bugs I found after being killed is your shield exhaustion sound beeping continuously until you press your special action, armour/repair/cloak/speed etc

SOE seems to be doing hardware bans now. That's a smart move, but cheat sites now include HWID spoofers with their cheats

You'd think that an MMO of all things would have such things fairly well locked down, especially since the game's engine is being marketed toward other MMOFPS devs and SOE are so vocally against cheats of any kind. At the very least, speed hacks and teleporting underground are something that should be fixable server-side, but after 2+ months they're still around.

It's probably hard to make more things server-side as servers are already stretched to the max. 6000 players per server is a lot :p

It's probably hard to make more things server-side as servers are already stretched to the max. 6000 players per server is a lot :p

True, I guess. It still sucks that the client is given enough power to do such things though. It's almost as bad as Arma2 in that regard. :)

Anyway, I tried out the new patch yesterday evening and have pretty mixed feelings. The gameplay changes are good overall (I especially like the "action blips" on the map), but performance is worse than ever for me. There is now an almost constant stuttering in battles, despite supposedly high framerates (50+), and it gets even worse (slide-show levels) if there is even a moderate number of explosions on the screen.

Yeah the quick fix they released yesterday completely broke my game, in the sense everyone was rubber-banding. Sometimes in huge battles enemies would ghost through buildings, even protected area's of course they were not there, the net code seems screwed up atm.

;2290341']Yeah the quick fix they released yesterday completely broke my game' date=' in the sense everyone was rubber-banding. Sometimes in huge battles enemies would ghost through buildings, even protected area's of course they were not there, the net code seems screwed up atm.[/quote']

Yup, same here. My initial thought was that this was being caused by some kind of server-side movement check, but no... I was killed several times yesterday by a teleporting subterranean hax max. New day, same hax. :mad:

I gave this another go today.

I like playing as a sniper.

Now the enemys get rendered at a ridiculous short distance, long range sniping is out of the question. Everyone is rubber-banding, players and enemys appearing and disappearing constatly.

And there are cheaters. I have met two guys who were definately cheating. They managed to take out a whole squad, including the invisible snipers, in two seconds as light assault. Every bullet a headshot. Also at ridiculous distances. I saw them advance through the combat ranks, from 5 to 20 in half an hour. Yeah right...

Save your $....shelved.

Uh, the game is free to play. ;)

But yeah, definitely don't spend any money on it until you've tried it.

This latest patch has me scratching my head. It feels as if everyone on the other side is or wants to be a sniper, as I see more sniper kills than from any other weapon. If that doesn't kill the game for me, I feel as if there is constant spamming of nades, cannons from the tanks and rockets from the rocket pods on the aircraft that I feel as if the game is trying to deliver an experience of what it's like to be buzzing after a few Long Island Iced Teas. Yeah, I'm just not feeling this new patch. Hell, it's even hard to use the rocket launcher now with that weird reloading animation they included with it.

This latest patch has me scratching my head. It feels as if everyone on the other side is or wants to be a sniper, as I see more sniper kills than from any other weapon. If that doesn't kill the game for me, I feel as if there is constant spamming of nades, cannons from the tanks and rockets from the rocket pods on the aircraft that I feel as if the game is trying to deliver an experience of what it's like to be buzzing after a few Long Island Iced Teas. Yeah, I'm just not feeling this new patch. Hell, it's even hard to use the rocket launcher now with that weird reloading animation they included with it.

I don't see that many snipers. Most people still tend to be Engineers. The nade and tank spam is normal since the fights become a mess, once alot of people fight in small bases! Jet rocket pods are a bit annoying, but they can be countered with AA.

I gave it another try.

It seems as if hey raised the renderdistance for enemy units again. Playing as a sniper has become fun again.

@Hans Ludwig There is a clear pattern. Assault units are almost always in the middle of an attack while snipers go out on the flanks. I find myself engaged in counter sniping a lot (I love those guys that don´t realize that they are skylinig themselves^^).

It's really hilarious how many snipers there are now. The Crown on Indar has basically turned into a huge snipe-fest - snipers on the bridge, snipers on the cliffs, snipers in the hills, all usually in groups of three or more.

I actually managed to get almost 200 certs in ~2 hours this morning, just by scaling the western cliff as a light assault and picking off groups of the buggers before they even knew what hit them. With the new XP system for high value kills, the longer-lived sniper campers are a pretty juicy source of certs. And since they're mostly standing around, gazing into the distance like idiots, you can take them out with one silenced pistol shot to the head, followed by an equally silent knife. ;)

The game is definitely starting to get repetitive though. Once the Arma3 alpha comes out I will most likely drop PS2 completely until it gets more content.

I actually managed to get almost 200 certs in ~2 hours

200 certs in 2 hours??!!! That's impossible