Sign in to follow this  
h34dup

[CAMP] Lions of Kandahar

Finally found time to test this and awesome campaign so far! Great to see so much quality stuff coming lately. :)

@h34dup: Not sure, that it's going to help you but I saw that the DAF mod released a significant update (0.3).

Maybe that would be sufficient for you to finish that Apache mission.

If not, don't hesitate with the other fixes and tweaks.

@Sa0k: indeed I feel that the quality was always there among mission makers just a lot rarer. It's been great to see such quality coalescing. Even greater to witness the virtuous circle that you guys (Bardosy, King Nothing, Sander, Saok, Lightspeed, Omac, Sick1, stagler, etc.) have nurtured.

Finally found time to test this and awesome campaign so far! Great to see so much quality stuff coming lately. :)

Much obliged, really good to know LoK is being enjoyed by a member of 'the virtuous circle' :hyper:

PS. really dig the new CWR update! I was messing with the new UK addon briefly and had some ideas bubbling for a SP scenario..

@h34dup: Not sure, that it's going to help you but I saw that the DAF mod released a significant update (0.3).

Maybe that would be sufficient for you to finish that Apache mission.

If not, don't hesitate with the other fixes and tweaks.

@Sa0k: indeed I feel that the quality was always there among mission makers just a lot rarer. It's been great to see such quality coalescing. Even greater to witness the virtuous circle that you guys (Bardosy, King Nothing, Sander, Saok, Lightspeed, Omac, Sick1, stagler, etc.) have nurtured.

I'll have to update DAF and check it out-- seems like they've been releasing a lot of updates...not to complain about improving the mod, but it's making it tough to work on a mission when updating either causes the mission to not load due to deleted addons, or gives me a spam-rate smattering of error messages. If it keeps up in this new update, I'll report it, but more than likely, I am going to start over since I want to remove ONS and INKO as a requirement for that specific mission. It looks like INKO is now a part of the new DAF update anyway, though once again, I have no use for the mod nor a need for it (fortunately, it's not required as a separate addon).

I did some more research yesterday on the Canadian perspective of Op. Medusa with this great article by in Legion Magazine by Adam Day, and put together the mission outline and mission title for Bonus Mission 1: "Rugby" -- As a member of TF Grizzly, made up of the remnants of the now-decimated Charles Company (led by Maj. Matt Sprague) combined with ISTAR (Intelligence, Surveillance, Target Acquisition, Reconnaissance) elements from Maj. Andy Lussier, you are charged with breaking the stalemate now that Sperwan Ghar is in the hands of TF 31. You will have to neutralize five key defensive positions held by the Talibs before getting the all-clear to move on Objective Rugby, aka the white schoolhouse. You will have stationary LAV gun support, as well as artillery.

Just played this with a couple of extra addons like JSRS, BlastcoreVisuals, twpcas and a bunch of others. Really immersive, great campaign, really well done. One of the best I ever played (and I played most that are on Armaholic).

Just the last mission (M13) could still use some attention. I had really low fps (said addons drag it down a bit more, but I don't want to go without them), and it was so tough on the machine that the AI didn't react properly anymore, aiming is also not easy with such a slide show. Afterwards, I unpacked it and took a look at it in the editor. I found a bunch of totally unnecessary units in the north that can safely be deleted without any impact, except on performance: all blufor units that are not on the hill (that means about half of all blufor) as well as all red units that don't go south (that is easily also a half of all redfor). One redfor group that is crossing past the defense line is enough to make all the blufor units on the hill fire, so the player receives some nice atmo. And I didn't touch the blufor vehicles in the north, so they could tidy up some stragglers, but they can probably be deleted as well. Additionally, I deleted all the objects encountered in earlier missions, like the big camps in the east (all the crates and other rubbish), the wrecks in the villages and also all the triggers that destroy the houses in the villages. I don't know exactly what of it does impact performance and what not, but it made absolutely no difference to the mission experience, because the player will never see anything of it (maybe the camp in the east, but storywise it could have been tidied up meanwhile). But this time I could actually play it normally, it was still a bit sluggish, but ok. Since the AI reacted properly this time, it was actually harder because I was shot at :) and also the Apache actually did fire.

Here, this is what I left over: http://s14.directupload.net/images/130114/7gwon4oz.jpg

Oh, and just in case one of you "virtuous circle guys" needs an inspiration for a new mission or campaign: What about current events in Mali? I see OFrP units landing with two C-160 and a few choppers in Duala or a similar map, securing the airport and retaking towns...

Edited by Brainbug

Just played this with a couple of extra addons like JSRS, BlastcoreVisuals, twpcas and a bunch of others. Really immersive, great campaign, really well done. One of the best I ever played (and I played most that are on Armaholic).

Just the last mission (M13) could still use some attention. I had really low fps (said addons drag it down a bit more, but I don't want to go without them), and it was so tough on the machine that the AI didn't react properly anymore, aiming is also not easy with such a slide show. Afterwards, I unpacked it and took a look at it in the editor. I found a bunch of totally unnecessary units in the north that can safely be deleted without any impact, except on performance: all blufor units that are not on the hill (that means about half of all blufor) as well as all red units that don't go south (that is easily also a half of all redfor). One redfor group that is crossing past the defense line is enough to make all the blufor units on the hill fire, so the player receives some nice atmo. And I didn't touch the blufor vehicles in the north, so they could tidy up some stragglers, but they can probably be deleted as well. Additionally, I deleted all the objects encountered in earlier missions, like the big camps in the east (all the crates and other rubbish), the wrecks in the villages and also all the triggers that destroy the houses in the villages. I don't know exactly what of it does impact performance and what not, but it made absolutely no difference to the mission experience, because the player will never see anything of it (maybe the camp in the east, but storywise it could have been tidied up meanwhile). But this time I could actually play it normally, it was still a bit sluggish, but ok. Since the AI reacted properly this time, it was actually harder because I was shot at :) and also the Apache actually did fire.

Here, this is what I left over: http://s14.directupload.net/images/130114/7gwon4oz.jpg

Oh, and just in case one of you "virtuous circle guys" needs an inspiration for a new mission or campaign: What about current events in Mali? I see OFrP units landing with two C-160 and a few choppers in Duala or a similar map, securing the airport and retaking towns...

Glad you dig the Campaign, and thanks for this feedback-- I guess I've never really known or witnessed the limits of the engine's capabilities, so M13 is kind of an exercise in how much I can have going on. That said, you make a very good point about what is necessary and what "fat" can be cut from this mission which would help to ease the CPU fatigue. While I would maintain that even though the player doesn't even come near Ishfaaq, nor should they have any reason to, the triggers should remain for continuity's sake. Aside from that, however, it looks like much of Charles Co and TF Mohawk's Comanche Co are not needed. So, I've taken down a note to cut things down a little where they are not essential. I will also have to keep this in mind for Bonus Mission 1, where I am already packing a rather inordinate amount of men into an already small area.

As for your comment about Mali-- I have been thinking the exact same thing! I've been talking to Kommiekat about working on a collaborative Campaign, with the Senkaku/Diaoyu island conflict as a subject...but I'm beginning to think the wider perspective on global military operations in the real world would be a really cool use of the editor. Perhaps "The Virtuous Circle" can become an editor's collective, and we could focus on a series of missions based on current events-- Real World Ops (RWO), see it on the news, play it on your computer.

Just had a chance to play this campaign, haven't finished it yet but from what I've seen this is by far one of the best missions I've ever played in ArmA! Evidently of a higher calibre than the rest, the attention to detail goes to show the length you guys went for us. :) No bullshit here but I would pay £40 for this campaign, the storyline is much better than any of the "A-list" games out there.

Just had a chance to play this campaign, haven't finished it yet but from what I've seen this is by far one of the best missions I've ever played in ArmA! Evidently of a higher calibre than the rest, the attention to detail goes to show the length you guys went for us. :) No bullshit here but I would pay £40 for this campaign, the storyline is much better than any of the "A-list" games out there.

Really great to hear that dude! I hope you enjoy the rest of it as you continue to play through.

Almost ready to implement the next round of fixes and updates, I'll keep everyone posted. I'm trying to decide if I want to wait to release an update with one bonus mission, or if I should just release the updated Camp sooner and let the bonus mission wait.

Almost ready to implement the next round of fixes and updates, I'll keep everyone posted.

Will the update require the player to completely start over again or will the player be able to continue on where they left off?

Will the update require the player to completely start over again or will the player be able to continue on where they left off?

I'm not sure-- I'm wondering if I keep the filename of the .pbo the same the player's progress will be saved. I may want to change the version number tho to something that indicates the Camp is at a stable point, v0.6 beta doesn't really express this right now. I think for this next update tho, I can try to keep it at v0.6 and see if it has any effect or not. I guess I shouldn't have named the .pbo file with the version in the first place.

I suggest to change the name in order to take the version number out once and for all. Players who are in the middle of the campaign can still rename it to the old name if they want to continue, or jump over the already played missions by typing "endmission".

Players who are in the middle of the campaign can still rename it to the old name if they want to continue, or jump over the already played missions by typing "endmission".

Completely forgot about that one. Good idea.

@Kommiekat

In campaign menu you can use cheat "campaign", after this you will have list of all missions in campaign.

:butbut:

There's also one caveat with dying in the AC130 mission, is that if you have a save point and reload that, the 105mm and 40mm guns will not work. I can't quite remember, but I think I reported this or a similar bug a long time ago on LDL's forum. Best to just keep an eye on the hill from time to time and kill the non-strobers as h34dup mentioned.

can anyone tell me what are Strobers???? yes I keep an aye on the hill and from time to time I shoot at the talibs coming from the town, also tried to destroy the marked target

with everything I had but no luck so back to the hill again and used the 20mm gun on anything that moved near the hill. end was I died.

In short, IR Strobes are that flashing lights on friendly units. :)

oh dear me, I have fired on my own poeple, thinking they where enemies no wonder I get killed all the time.

thanks for telling me about the strobers.

well I don't know what goes wrong,I'm shooting only at the none strobers ( after I found out who they are ) and I'm still dying--why??????? can anyone tell me how to finish this mission ( 11 )

I'm getting a bit desperate being stuck on that for the last 3 weeks no matter what I try I'll die--- please anyone that has progressed beyound this mission give me a hint.

I'm not 100% if this is it but in briefing there is info that if enemy reach our freindly forces positions on hills mission will be failed (Check Briefing-.Execution-> Objective 1 so maybe that's way you fail mission ;)). I didn't end this mission (Performance problems) becose i played this campaign on my 2nd PC (old one). After 20 minus of fighting i used "endmission cheat" to jump to next mission. ;)

Edited by tom3kb

no, there are no enemies on the hill, I get them before they can get across the road from the town I also keep a sharp eye on all movements the talibs make, ofcourse I can't be everywhwere at the same time but still I keep on getting killed it is very frustrating.

..... ofcourse I can't be everywhwere at the same time but still I keep on getting killed it is very frustrating.

Do you have what it takes to be a navy SEAL??.........:p

mate, I don't know what you mean by being a navy seal, can you please be more precise?? I have served my stint in the army but what has that got to do with it??? all I ask is for a hint of how to finish mission11 and don't need smart remarks so Kommiekat if you can contribute to my problem I'll gladly accept them but please no unnessesary remarks about a navy seal.

No need for negative sentiments in here Fred-- Kommiekat contributed to the project as a voice actor (he's the guy who is warning you about Talibs on hill in Mission 11) is just trying to lighten things up. It's really admirable that you are still trying to beat the mission and get to experience the rest of the Camp. If I could do a screen capture and upload it to YouTube for you to watch I would, but my software is bunk.

Read below for the strategy that should guarantee a successful outcome to Mission 11, unless there is some kind of freak technical issue. (Click the spoiler button to reveal)

- At the start of the mission go to the console next to Ron on the HMMWV's hood, call in the AC-130 right on top of your position atop Sperwan Ghar.

- When you are inside of the AC-130, you will start at the south of Sperwan Ghar going counter-clockwise, and you will first come up on the small town with a few Talibs running around in the backyards of the northeast corner, use the machinegun to take them out.

- At this early stage, you need to focus entirely on taking out the groups running toward Sperwan Ghar, they will take the roads and hills from many directions-- east, northeast, north, and northwest, mostly. Since you will get bombarded by enemy in the beginning, you need to focus on these guys first and ignore the other objectives (except Obj. Alpha, the village of Ishfaaq, which will see a LOT of enemy movement, make sure you don't hold back on that area, there should be NO movement...at all...kill the little bastards.

- Use #3 (the big bomb) and shoot at the center of their line and wedge formations to take most of them out. You don't have many of these guys, and it takes time to reload, so switch back and forth from #1 machinegun and #3 big bomb, #2 is really only effective on vehicles with direct hits-- this has to do with the script version of the AC-130 mod I'm using.

- If you hear Hodge warn you about 'Talibs on the hill' and 'get em off the hill or we're gonna be up shit's creek' drop whatever you are doing and focus on Sperwan Ghar, anywhere between halfway up the hill to the top, there is at least one bad guy. Don't be afraid to go danger close, he must die. Also, there are some sneaky groups coming from the east and can be hard to spot while zoomed out. Kill them.

- You will want to hunt down any and all enemies on the move, when the movement has died down (will take between 3-6 'rotations' of the Ac-130), you can begin to focus on the other objectives, all of which can be hit from your current rotation point atop Sperwan Ghar.

- That #3 bomb is really effective, but they are limited...you can always quickly call in another AC-130 (unless you used all 3), but if there are enemies on the hill, make sure you address them first.

- Take out all the objectives, making the map markers blue, and the mission will be complete. But don't even pay attention to the red and blue markers until all the enemies on the move are taken out.

- Use the map key "M" to view the map when taking out the other objectives, but you need to click the "camera" button in the AC-130 console to go back to the camera so you can see your targets

Outside of this, the only other option is to use the endMission cheat: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/endMission

Never used it myself, however, so someone else will have to share how to actually use that in-game.

Good luck!

How to use arma 2 cheats:

Hold [Left Shift] and press [Keypad Minus]. Release the keys, then write endmission. In campaign menu you can do the same but write campaign and you will have list of all missions in campaign.

Just finished playing, the addons were worth getting and I must say this is a brilliant campaign. There is some cosmetic bugs like typos or missing voiceovers in several missions and the AC130 mission lagged like hell for me, so I skipped it, but fought through all the rest. :D

I did not mean to insult Kommiekat in any way, it was just that I'm so pissed off with my equipment ( Windows7 bunged up, ACE2 altered everything so that nothing worked ) I had to format my harddrive and installed Windows Vista Premium, at least it runs stable, and ofcourse I had to start the Campaign all over again till I reached mission11 and the fun started the same way as with W7 I keep on dying. Kommikat if you are of the opinnion, that I insulted you my appologies I never meant to do that perhaps it's the frustration of not getting on with the mission BUT I WON"T GIVE UP.

Kommikat if you are of the opinnion, that I insulted you my appologies I never meant to do that perhaps it's the frustration of not getting on with the mission BUT I WON"T GIVE UP.

Hey dude, it's no biggie. We've got these military enlistment commercials (or at least we had last time I lived in the U.S.) that try to challenge you into joining like "Do you have what it takes to be a Marine!" and so forth.