Sign in to follow this  
h34dup

[CAMP] Lions of Kandahar

@ fmandl

That particular mission is quite frustrating if you do not adjust your view distance to include the main hill during the entire station flight of the gunship. Headup quoted the best course of action and believe me, I've attempted this thing many different ways. Since you've played it several times, the terrain should be quite familiar to you, which is key to monitoring the approach of enemy to the hill. The first issue is to place that station marker(the pivot point of the 130) at the base of the hill so that you don't fly too far out from the primary objective,

the defense of your own position on the hill. Until you prevent the waves of foot mobiles from ascending that hill, the other objectives are not worth engaging.

I didn't realize there was more than one ammo option and I fired with whatever the default start type is and it worked just fine. The second key is to find the right zoom distance to monitor movement as well as engage properly without losing sight of your targets.

If you can keep the zoom level close, all targets will stay readily visible during the flight and you can eliminate whole groups at a time. One major hint is that anything white around the hill that is not a strobe, is an enemy(I think even the livestock are sporting IED's :j:)

thank's Kommiekat it all was a missunderstanding on my part, must be old age creeping up on me ( 79 years young ) but still very active my passion is playing games apart from fishing.

Wow, h34dup, you can really be proud of this campaign. Its really obvious that you have put alot of love and work into this. I haven't finished it yet, but I am having a blast so far.

@savedbygrace thanks mate for the hint, yes I did adjust my few distance and put the marker on the base of the hill in order to see if any talibs are aproching and if so I eliminated them with the 20mm gun and kept an eye on the hill as well after a while I got the radio call that the area is clear only a few remain in the area as I was out of ammo I got out of the consol and promply got shot. it happened a few times-- don't know why

savedbygrace

what zoom level did you use, I had mine set to zoom6 but it was not enough to see all targets if you put the zoom higher say 8 then everything moves to fast and it is hard to stay on target. after I got the radio call that all was clear only a few straglers present I got out of the consol --was out of ammo-- and promply got shot and that a few times no matter what I try. don't know what's wrong, also the campaign only runs if all the Addons are in the Addons folder in Combined Operation and the Lions of Kandahar Pbo in the Campaigns folder have experimented a few different ways but nothing worked exept the above mentioned way yet all say only to run the campaign with the needed addons. how to install the game correctly so it runs?? I mean that only the needed addons will be loaded.

Edited by fmandl

Well, I tried to record a video playthrough of Mission 11 and did not get very far. Can someone record themselves beating this mission and upload their glorious performance on YouTube?

Also, I'm considering a Radio Trigger for the next update that will delete the defensive perimeter, so only being shot will kill you, not if the line is breached. Using this trigger may result in a fail for that perimeter defense objective, but it will no longer cause as many problems.

h34dup

good on you mate, that radio trigger my stop a lot of headaches and perhaps one can finish the game. but it is by far the best campaign I have played, even mission 11 gives me a headache and drives me batty but I shall percevier until I succede.

Lions of Kandahar update: version 7.0 released!

Alright, I finally got around to finishing the updates and fixes for v0.7! Once again, the file name of the .pbo file is different, so Campaign progress will not carry over (although I'm not sure if you can just change the filename to match a previous version or what). This should not be an issue moving forward, though, as I've removed the version number from the filename altogether.

Many issues have been addressed, including the missing Canadian dialogue in Mission 6, difficulties with Mission 11's defenders and defensive objective, and performance issues in Mission 13. As always, please feel free to report any bugs or share your impressions here-- the Campaign still has some known improvements to be made thanks to SavedByGrace's feedback at OFPEC.

As far as the bonus missions, they are all underway and active, but there is no solid ETA at this time. Look out for Real-World Operations (RWO) releases in the near future if you enjoy this style of play.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18194

Fixed in v0.7:

Mission 1 -

* Updated credits

Mission 3 -

* Adjusted possible locations for cargo drop

Mission 5 -

* Fixed missing dialog for Bill when defusing the IED

Mission 6 -

* Fixed numerous cases of missing dialog for Canadians (for real this time I hope!)

Mission 7 -

* Minor adjustments to dialog

Mission 8 -

* Added marker for ODA331

* Removed A-10's on-station

* Gave Bill a group for dialogue

* Moved the EVAC LZ a bit further away from the ANA "wagon circle"

Mission 9 -

* Minor typos fixed in init and debrief

Mission 10 -

* Addressed (hopefully) crew members remaining in the destroyed HMMWV SOV

* Added RPG-7 to CCP

Mission 11 -

* Tweaked behavior for BLUFOR elements defending the hill to fire at will, they will now be getting more involved when in contact with enemies on and around the hill

* Added a radio trigger (Foxtrot, 0-0-6) to deactivate the defensive objective, you will fail the objective but the mission will continue. Note that you can still be killed by enemy fire, but you won't be killed automatically if they breach the perimeter.

Mission 12 -

* Added Dave's missing line of dialog following the BDA on Ishfaaq

Mission 13 -

* Added some music to the intro

* Deleted a large number of non-essential units and details to help improve performance

Edited by h34dup

Hi, I started the campaign and it feels great. But I'm stuck on mission 4. The objective is to link up with Rusty somewhere in the northeast, but I simply can't find Rusty. Have been driving for 2 hours around the area. Can anyone help?

Cześć Kroky

Mission 4 - Cat and Mouse right? After you check village, you will have radio message from commander and then Rusty with team will ride in 2 cars (wait for them in west part of village in your car). Fallow them to next objective.

Edited by tom3kb

Cześć, thanks for replying. Thanks to your hint that they were in the western part in the town I found the trigger and finally got the new marker on the map where the training camp is. Still I haven't found Rusty...but I found Talibans...:)

Wenn they come to viillage you must watch where they ride or you lose eye contact with them very fast ;) I'm not remember but after finding that camp and short fight with enemy mission will end.

Mission #4 is supposed to be a pretty quick one, not much contact. I really should have done more to reinforce that the player should stick with Rusty and turn off the road. There will likely be some improvements to this the next time I update it.

tom3kb is right on the money. You spend a little time poking around the houses, which are shown in the intro to be occupied by OPFOR, but are abandoned when you reach them. After a couple of minutes, Shinsha orders you to wait for Rusty and Dave in the 2 HMMWV GMV's. The Humvees will actually wait on the western side of the town for you to mount up and follow, but the dialogue is confusing. Rusty turns off the road first, and you should follow him. Dave keeps going and basically does nothing. Either way though, if you trigger the Humvees after the village and Rusty turns off the road, the mission itself should play out on it's own, even up to the end.

Yes, I the mission ended quickly even without eye contact to Rusty. (misleading is the comment in the mission briefing, something about northeast of the mountain...I was looking for Rusty in the NE of the town.., should be rather: west, or north west of the village)

Right now I ended mission 7...but with the "endmission" command. First of all the mission got very choppy (maybe my machine is too old for that much action), but the main problem was:

1. Right at the start of the mission I was "thrown out" of the humvee, and had to follow my unit by foot, it took me 1/2 hour to catch up with them

2. All units stopped somewhere before climbing up the mountain, fighting was still going on (although) there were almost no Talibs left, nobody proceeded, when I run in the direction of the mountain my squad leader called me "return to formation" for ever. There was something that one of the squads had to clear an objective first (forgot the name of the unit) so I waited for 45min on the foot of the mountain in the near of my unit. All Talon unit didn't proceed, planes and helicopters were flying for the whole time, but nothing happenend. After an hour or so, I simply had to "endmission" since nothing was going on.

Until now I like the campaign a lot, but some of the cutscenes (between) mission 6 and 7 i.e. are really choppy (very low fps) and the cutscene with the A10 airplane wouldn't stop, I had to interrupt it.

Maybe the problem is that I'm playing with a ton of mods: ACE (all of it), ASR, ASR_AI, TPWCAS, TPWhouselights, JTD (smoke, birds), AEG, saku light and ai driver, okt_noblurbeta, bd_tracers...so maybe some of these mods are slowing down the fps.

PS: When I end the campaign, I will give a try for your SP missions in your sig, since you really make good missions. I especially liked the level of detail in your missions so far. A lot of environment which is "living", realistic amounts of friendly and enemy forces, custom sounds and very good use of addons and the detailed briefings. It's been a while I played ArmA II missions but this is very good stuff.

Edited by Kroky
more info

Yes, I the mission ended quickly even without eye contact to Rusty. (misleading is the comment in the mission briefing, something about northeast of the mountain...I was looking for Rusty in the NE of the town.., should be rather: west, or north west of the village)

Right now I ended mission 7...but with the "endmission" command. First of all the mission got very choppy (maybe my machine is too old for that much action), but the main problem was:

1. Right at the start of the mission I was "thrown out" of the humvee, and had to follow my unit by foot, it took me 1/2 hour to catch up with them

2. All units stopped somewhere before climbing up the mountain, fighting was still going on (although) there were almost no Talibs left, nobody proceeded, when I run in the direction of the mountain my squad leader called me "return to formation" for ever. There was something that one of the squads had to clear an objective first (forgot the name of the unit) so I waited for 45min on the foot of the mountain in the near of my unit. All Talon unit didn't proceed, planes and helicopters were flying for the whole time, but nothing happenend. After an hour or so, I simply had to "endmission" since nothing was going on.

Until now I like the campaign a lot, but some of the cutscenes (between) mission 6 and 7 i.e. are really choppy (very low fps) and the cutscene with the A10 airplane wouldn't stop, I had to interrupt it.

Maybe the problem is that I'm playing with a ton of mods: ACE (all of it), ASR, ASR_AI, TPWCAS, TPWhouselights, JTD (smoke, birds), AEG, saku light and ai driver, okt_noblurbeta, bd_tracers...so maybe some of these mods are slowing down the fps.

Yes, this is exactly the problem, it says just about anywhere I can put it that this Camp is only intended for use with the required addons, using other addons is guaranteed to cause issues with both performance and functionality. The script versions of TPWCAS and houselights are there in the Camp when appropriate, but TPWCAS had to be removed from most missions because it was really causing major performance issues. I'm surprised you made it all the way through to Mission 7. Run the Camp with only the required addons and you should notice a significant improvement.

ok I will try without TPWCAS, let's see how it works out. For the other addons: I don't (I can't) play without the combo ACE/ASR_AI/ASR - that's kind of minimum standard I'm using for all missions campaigns. Without it ArmAII is simply not fun..

ok I will try without TPWCAS, let's see how it works out. For the other addons: I don't (I can't) play without the combo ACE/ASR_AI/ASR - that's kind of minimum standard I'm using for all missions campaigns. Without it ArmAII is simply not fun..

Well, the Camp was not created with, tested with, or intended for use with ACE, so I can't be held responsible for any issues that may arise from using them. I will admit tho that I didn't give ACE enough of a chance, trying it only once briefly before really dedicating myself to mission-making, so I am planning to spend more time getting to know ACE and hopefully to making ACE-compatible versions of my SP missions moving forward. This likely will not happen with Lions of Kandahar, but who knows, I may fall in love when I try playing with ACE like so many others and decide that all my projects should support it. This ASR_AI addon looks pretty interesting as well!

Oh my dear...I can't believe you don't use ACE as standard...I even don't fire up ArmAII without ACE2. I even can't remember the last time playing the game without ACE...maybe right after ArmA1 came out?

But I see your point, I don't blame you that it doesn't work as it should when I use any additional mods. The point is: I think the most part of player play with at least ACE and ASR_AI on.

This would make for an interesting poll, wouldn't it? How many % of players play ArmAII with ACE2 always on?

I like ASR_AI but at times, if you don't have it configured as suggested, it can be overpowering. It's not uncommon to fire upon enemy and have ALL OF THEM sweeping down on your from all over the map, where-ever they were placed, but yes, I use that as a default in my missions. I too, have to give ACE more of a chance. Does seem to a bit of a learning curve involved with it though.

@Kommiekat: hey, can u tell me how the ASR_AI should be configured? i've been using it for a long time but i never configured anything on my own. i just use it as it is originally. it's great the AI can use buildings to shoot from but sometimes i feel like the enemy takes too long to react/fire on me....u know, they "see" me at short range and then wait for a few seconds before firing. the point is, i sometimes think the AI is actually underpowered.

as for the ACE, ACEX, ACERU, ACEUSNavy-i use them all & all the time. i didn't even finish the original Harvest Red campaign without ACE. i simply can't play Arma without it.

@Kommiekat: hey, can u tell me how the ASR_AI should be configured? i've been using it for a long time but i never configured anything on my own. i just use it as it is originally. it's great the AI can use buildings to shoot from but sometimes i feel like the enemy takes too long to react/fire on me....u know, they "see" me at short range and then wait for a few seconds before firing. the point is, i sometimes think the AI is actually underpowered.

as for the ACE, ACEX, ACERU, ACEUSNavy-i use them all & all the time. i didn't even finish the original Harvest Red campaign without ACE. i simply can't play Arma without it.

I never finished the damn Harvest Red Campaign because I could never find the damn weapons dealers in that FOB Manhattan mission! BAH! GAH! WAH!

Well, anyway, I got it updated this morning and will give it a whirl tonight likely. Any recommendations for ACE-dependent missions or addons (or again, documentation about how it should be used or configured)?

^ yeah i know which file just needed the precise values. found 'em in one post.

@headup:

honestly, i always use it so cannot really tell u which scenario is the especially dependent on the ACE. even better, i've never had any mission/campaign-breaking problems even though most scenarios are not meant to be played with ace.

perhaps the best example of a great ACE-supported work is the Sick1's epic campaign:

Seal Team Six Devgru-ACE2

I'm getting Addon 'ons_weapons' requires addon 'INKO_Disposable' except I have INKO and I am running it with the rest of the required mods.

I'm getting this too ... I normally use Arma II Launcher 3.1.1, but even when I launch directly:

"D:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2oa.exe" -nosplash -mod=@CBA;@SGW_Afghan;@ONS-OA@;INKO;@McTierOne;@mad_resh;@mad_build"

I can see the Start Intro, and then "You cannot play/edit this mission ; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.inko_disposable" and then "Script introM1Net.sqs not found" when I abort. All folders have Addons subfolders etc. I have a collection of over 100 mod folders and generally don't have any problems. I am running AramA2OA 1.62 patch. Any help appreciated!