Sign in to follow this  
stratman

Some thoughts for those not sure whether to buy or not.

Firstly it has to be said that if you don’t like the Arma series then you won’t like this or if you haven’t tried any of the Arma games then you’ll need be prepared to put in a lot of time to learn how this engine works. Also if you’re after a traditional FPS (COD, BF3) then avoid any of the Arma engine games. I’ve read loads of negative views on Iron Front but after a bout 10 hours play I think a lot of it’s a bit too harsh. Yes there are numerous bugs and the game is seriously lacking that final polish but nothing a few visits to this forum or the Arma forums can’t help you with and underneath lurks what could be a great game. I haven’t tried the MP side as from what I hear the servers are dead or populated by hackers which is a shame.

One thing that does bug me is how come on Arma2OA I get a nice smooth 60 -70 FPS but on Iron Cross I’m lucky to get 25 -30? Still playable though. I’m just hoping the modding community take this game up and get it running even if the devs don’t. Also I’ve still to delve into the editor which I’m told is blindingly capable. The enemy AI so far seems better than most FPS's can offer, the graphics are great (if a little juddery now and then) and what always need to be remembered is the sheer scale of the maps. I only paid £14.00 for Iron Front and I consider that to be a bargain, lots of fun so far and lots more to come especially if there’re further patches to give that final polish. Between this and DAYZ I’m having a ball with Arma. Go buy Iron front and help keep it alive and kicking.

P.S If you do buy it don't get despondant with the initial training missions, they are crap and as buggy as a T.T racers visor. Think of it like going to an expensive restaurant and being given prawn cocktail for starters, just gobble it down and wait for the main course.

**** Revised Opinion ****

Having now played some 20 hours I'm afraid to say my initial impressions have gone into reverse. Once you arrive in any kind of battle with tanks the whole game slows to about 12 -16 FPS, totally unplayable and no settings make any difference. Also trying to get your AI squad to do anything remotely logical is just impossible. One for the shelf and hope for some patches.

Edited by stratman

Looks like this game is not ready to be played yet

I like iron Fron Liberation.

In some topics, it's better than ArmA 2.

well i play both arma2 and iron front with high settings, on a medium core pc I am not even going to upgrade for arma3 because i am pretty sure this rig is still up to it .. the only problem I had was lag with the trenches on iron front but this seems to be better after a few patches or at least that is my experience. I reach 60 fps easily sometimes drops between 50 and 40 when the battle gets fearsome but this is the same in Arma2 ... I cant tell about multiplayer I am more a editor guru and on occasions i do single player. Multiplayer isn't my thing anymore ...

Edited by KBourne

Support for the game has practically already stopped so it can't be recommended until the contract problems with even such simple things as support are solved...if this happens at all. currently it's like as if we had been stuck with ArmA II 1.03 albeit ArmA II was in much better condition in 1.03.

Edited by Beagle

I bought it just after it came out, had a rummage through the editor, glad its basically the a2 one. Never played any campaigns other than our own, created for our group (only 28 of us now). I was the first in the group to buy it as there was speculation, it turns out now, that modding was going to be the norm, as the series, but that changed, so now its on my a2 pc un-played. No one else in the group bothered when the situation regards modding came about, its all about the editor for us, the whole series, not the campaigns, make your own.

Would I still buy it! Yes probably, as the maps, equipment, factions, vehicles etc, that are there, are all to a great standard, just a shame it sort of bottomed out.:(

There again, I also bought 'Carrier Command', just hope in the future they stick an editor in that..;)

I'd wait until AWAR and DS get their act together.

Should be interesting to see the reaction when they try to squeeze some more money out of people for DLC

which unless they do what Bohemia did with PMC and BAF [Lite versions in patches] the community will be split on an already dead MP.

I have a quetions:

- How many people are playing this game in MP? Roughly?

I am disappointed in this game, im a great fan of ArmA 2 and its community but this release is just a sham, the online play is just kiddies tking at spawn nothing more, I tried 5-10 servers last night and each had no admin and idiots ruining the experience for everyone. Without the support of the server admins then MP is a no go, looks like that the heart was in the right place but never had the following so will die a slow painful death.

If you think out the MP which is very unpopulated indeed, you have still all what Arma 2 has...

Use your imagination a try to figure out in what the magic is in IF though...

If does WW2 theme bother you, then obviously this is not game for you.

PS: Even vanilla Arma 2 MP without mods is nothing you would bow at, but mostly without "DayZ" obviously...

If you own Arma 2 and Iron Front, can the maps from the latter be used in the former? I understand they are different file extensions but are essentially pbos in all but name.

I would consider buying it for the maps alone, if I thought I could used them with I44.

If you own Arma 2 and Iron Front, can the maps from the latter be used in the former? I understand they are different file extensions but are essentially pbos in all but name.

I would consider buying it for the maps alone, if I thought I could used them with I44.

Nope.