Sign in to follow this  
iceman77

I'm in a DayZ about the present state of arma2

So i've been buying and playing BI products for over a decade now. I've been waiting patiently (along with others) for the time when the masses will open their eyes and notice this off the shelf military simulation (series) known as ofp/arma. These are sad gaming times for me as of late.It took a zombie mod (so ok it's a decent mod) to gain a substantial playerbase for arma2. Inwich most of the DayZ participants don't even know Arma2 exists outside of "this game called DayZ...".So now, especially after 1.62 alls I see on the server list are DayZ servers filled to the brim.Yes I can use the filter to find the gamemode / server I want.Is there anyway to disclude DayZ from the server list filter, so I can browse normal Arma2 servers without having to filter each and every gamemode to get a clear picture about what servers are going in ARMA2?The loyal arma2 population remains stagnant, while a zombie mod gets all of the population & glory?

:cry2:

To be honest I wouldn't expect a hard core milsim to be that popular with gamers. Its kind of a niche market like flight sims. (Not as bad as train sims :D)

It is good that it has brought more sales to our favourite developer ;)

..and there are a few players who have discovered the unknown Armaverse and embraced its deadly delights.

To be honest, I'm glad that there's a bit of separation. It would be a mess if too many (new) players started jumping on other mission servers.

It would be good to have a specific 'DayZ' filter button.

Edited by EDcase

I think arma2 coulbe massively popular. DayZ holds many lessons why.

It's easy to play from the get go. You can do your own thing or team up.

There's always something to do with the zombies, loot, food system, etc. Too often mp in arma2 has people not knowing what to do.

The loot system is smart. It has instant easy rewards and big potential rewards.

It's emotionally involving as it features rewards with the constant risk of losing everything in a moment.

It involves the community who tend to help each other when not shooting on sight.

It makes pvp in arma2 Accessible and engaging.

It's a very smart system at work.

I'd love for a military based mp mod to be made based on the same open principles. I think it'd rock.

Why adding a specific DayZ filter when you can just add a country tag you want to play in and simple.

To be honest I wouldn't expect a hard core milsim to be that popular with gamers. Its kind of a niche market like flight sims. (Not as bad as train sims :D)

It is good that it has brought more sales to our favourite developer ;)

..and there are a few players who have discovered the unknown Armaverse and embraced its deadly delights.

To be honest, I'm glad that there's a bit of separation. It would be a mess if too many (new) players started jumping on other mission servers.

It would be good to have a specific 'DayZ' filter button.

Well most bf/cod fanatic i've shown ofp/arma to has been amazed and didn't even know the game existed.They've actually thanked me for showing them arma.While a small amount do stray away from it because of how 'hardcore' it's precieved to be.Those literally don't even last but a few minutes ingame...usually.

Why adding a specific DayZ filter when you can just add a country tag you want to play in and simple.

Could you elaborate please on how this would filter OUT any and all DayZ severs.I only run the game and use the ingame browser/filter.Thanks.

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

I think arma2 coulbe massively popular. DayZ holds many lessons why.

There's always something to do with the zombies, loot, food system, etc. Too often mp in arma2 has people not knowing what to do.

The loot system is smart. It has instant easy rewards and big potential rewards.

It's emotionally involving as it features rewards with the constant risk of losing everything in a moment.

It involves the community who tend to help each other when not shooting on sight.

It makes pvp in arma2 Accessible and engaging.

It's a very smart system at work.

I'd love for a military based mp mod to be made based on the same open principles. I think it'd rock.

Well yeah DayZ is a good mod for arma2.No disputing that imo.Yeah it appeals to the masses because you can hop in and play..go frag some zombies, I get it. It's pretty much up to the scripters and map makers as far what type of gameplay is recieved by players, ie realism || balanced || fiction.There have been and still are balanced game modes in Arma besides DayZ, where the casul player can hop in and get into the action rather quickly. Ever hear of Ber[Z]erk c&hs? Or even many other c&h / aas maps? Even the warfares are casual...

At anyrate, I'd like a DayZ disclusion button added to the ingame filter.I didn't get into ofp/arma so I could kill zombies, DayZ doesn't appeal to me, therefore i'd never ever need to have 104 dayz servers displayed when I load arma server browser (by my discretion, ie the DayZ disclusion button in the filter).

Edited by Iceman77

I think arma2 coulbe massively popular.

But should it?

Series never suffered from the lack of players and DayZ community is really really bad. Want it or not but DayZ attracts the worst kind of players that ArmA filtered out well thus far.

DayZ holds many lessons why.

Yet that's not ArmA.

Truth is - ArmA and DayZ are in a desperate need of separation. A server browser "exclude" filter will be a good start.

Edited by metalcraze

Go into the filter options and under "Expansions" select hide all, and DayZ servers will not come up.

Truth is - ArmA and DayZ are in a desperate need of separation. A server browser "exclude" filter will be a good start.

I strongly agree. ArmA is just too smart for most people, and DayZ is just too mindless for me. May the DayZ crowd just ramble and shamble on noisily over the distant horizon...

DayZ has shown that people really do want a realistic pvp game - face it, DayZ is essentially 95% Arma2. Make the pvp in Arma3 better and it's all gold.

It has been good for a couple of reasons:

It puts massive strain on the game and surfaces it's major weaknesses

+ HUGE flaws in anti-cheat security

+ exposed various networking issues

not to mention the extra cash it bought BIS to help them develop arma 3 into an even better game.