Sign in to follow this  
Megaboss

Why there is a particle limit in arma 3?

Hello

Could someone explane why there is a particle limit in Arma 3 and not in other engines? When i was working on a mod in arma 2 i had to stop because of the particle limit, why is there a limit?

Are you sure they will enforce a partical limit in Arma3? what information do you have?

all rt engines have count limits when it comes to particle systems

Are you sure they will enforce a partical limit in Arma3? what information do you have?

In the features page it reads "Arma 3 have increased particle limit" this makes me sad. Particle limit should be so high that my gpu / cpu cannot keep up. If i have fun with cryengine sdk i can get so sick effects that my 680 cannot keep up.

ALSO this damn captcha drives me nuts since i have bad eye sight and i have to try 20 times to get it right. If i listen it i cannot make any sense out of the babling. Can we please somehow get rid of the captcha, give us some kind of phone verification or something so that one posting dont take half my work day.

Thank you

Arma 3 have increased particle limit = more particles. Anyway, hope they improve in this area. After playing with JTD Fire&Smoke and Blastcore vanilla just doesn't cut.

And the Captcha thing is because you're a new member (they're doing this because of the spambots,hackers...) more posts\time and that will vanish.

the Captcha thing is because you're a new member (they're doing this because of the spambots,hackers...) more posts\time and that will vanish.

Yeah, it disappeared pretty quickly for me--I think 15 posts?

ALSO this damn captcha drives me nuts since i have bad eye sight

You can zoom in on the image with your browser. In Mozilla, the hotkey is Ctrl+Plus. Don't remember the hotkey for IE but it has the zoom function as well.

I look forward to seeing particle effects like this in Arma3 -

IT9UrMBkghE

Perhaps would be the best (if possible & reasonable), if such hardcoded engine limits (not only graphical) will become adjustable, including total switch'em off, via options and/or script. This way user can fit settings for his hardware and needs.

Perhaps would be the best (if possible & reasonable), if such hardcoded engine limits (not only graphical) will become adjustable, including total switch'em off, via options and/or script. This way user can fit settings for his hardware and needs.

Hardcoded limits are most likely in there to prevent CTDs and the like.

Well, if any increasing of displayed particles or, eg, group limit per side, CPU power for scripts etc. will cause CTD, then of course shouldn't be touched. The question is, why would cause CTD, and not only bigger CPU/GPU load?

I guess the renderer itself can become unstable at some point.

Well, if any increasing of displayed particles or, eg, group limit per side, CPU power for scripts etc. will cause CTD, then of course shouldn't be touched. The question is, why would cause CTD, and not only bigger CPU/GPU load?

Thats something only BIS can address, though I suspect memory also plays a part, as well as the prospect of trouble shooting user issues with yet another factor. Though a particle effects slider would still be good to see.

Don't forget at least some particles need to be accounted for also on the server, like i.e. a smoke screen system should block AI's vision. I'm not sure how view blocks are computed though, might be just a single position saying "here is a view block with time = n". Also, the more stress you put on the system, the dumber the AI gets. It's like an old modding project of mine (non Arma, but still), here I added too much stress on the system and the ground textures didn't load after a while. At least that one was noticeable, not so easy to detect "dumb" AI.