Sign in to follow this  
Dragoon112

Advice for a complete noob to ARMA2 multiplayer

Hello, I'm new to this forum so this is my first post. Just bought ARMA 2 CO and I now want to play multiplayer but I have absolutly no idea what I'm doing. I've been jumping from server to server and then frankly looking completely lost. Sometimes the UI is completely different and on others it seems like a big scary miltary op with professional sounding jargon being flinged around.

So what advice would you give to me? Where should I start? Are there certain programs that are helpful and is a headset recommended for online play? I live in the UK which seems to be a problem since there are not very many servers for the UK. I have been using 6launcher to find servers, are there any better programs?

I've read through dslyecxis guide which was helpful. Any other guides I should look at?

Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

1. Play off-line for a while, to get the grip of game and controls, learn to handle different weapons, vehicles and planes.

2. Get a mic, install TS3, join servers TS3 server too.

3. Take a good look at the mods (if any) on servers, see if you lik'em, if not, don't bother.

4. Be nice to everyone, it's basically nice peps playing tis game (or am I wrong again?) :)

There are "lots" of servers in UK, at least in Europe, but why stay on Her Majesty's? Nothing fun going on there ;)

Welcome to the Arma community Dragoon. You are always more than welcome to jump on the iOGC server mate. I sent you my contact details in a PM so we can get a game going.

just play warfare on that http://arma2.swec.se/server/data/219754 Server for a while (should have a good ping to the UK - its located in germany). I recommend this for all newbies, cause it has Battlefieldish - like missions.. (Capture the Island - its like the flags in BF style but with many more cities to capture and AI Soldiers you can command (two teams try to capture the island). You can buy weapons and vehicles instead of just spawning them... Every side has a commander.. just type questions in chat..

here is a tutorial: ftp://clan-gmc.de/pub/Games/ArmA2/Warfare%20BE%20Tutorial.pdf

its a good start for a beginner that wants to play around a bit..

but i recommend the tutorials and the campaign to be made before joining multiplayer..

the campaigns are quite good...

(You can alter the visuals and the sound with mods if you like, popular are "JSRS sound" mod and "Blastcore Visuals" for example)

I just recorded the first Harvest red mission with this two addons and the newest beta patch.

and still makes a lot of fun!!!! (But do the tutorials first especially when ArmA is your first approach to the OFP / ArmA series! Because stuff gets handled quite differently compared to Arcade Shooters like Battlefield / CoD / Doom / Quake. But once you get used to it you do not want to miss it again.

For installing addons I recommend the Six Updater. (It can recognize the mods used / allowed / needed on any server and automatically isntall the right ones, e.g. the needed ones and save them in presets for every server.)

http://www.six-updater.net/2012/05/all-new-six-launcher-click-and-play.html

I also highly recommend to patch the game: http://www.arma2.com/index.php?Itemid=20&option=com_rokdownloads&view=folder〈=en

(There are two DLCs out: PMC and BAF. If you like singleplayer campaign I highly recommend them too!! lot of fun; and new good models / weapons / vehicles; you can join online server that use these models but will get only a low resolution when you have not bought the DLCs)

Edited by tremanarch

Hi All

Sorry to jump on Dragoons bandwagon, but I too am very new to Arma 2 and am primarily interested in multiplayer. Have fond memories of arma online, and want to throw myself into Arma 2 big style. Used to do a mission or two on my own to get my rank up so i could help as a heli pilot, or troop transport. Still the way it works? Are there any UK based players that can show me the ropes on this title now I have my new machine?

Thanks

J.

how does the coop campaign feature work? do i need to wait for people to join on the initial setup screen or do people join once the actual mission starts?

do people need my ip?

You can try joining a community/clan.

E.g unitedoperations.net if you would like to play milsim COOP and PVP. Kelly's Heroes, Tangodown.nl... and probably many others

Or join a mod like Project Reality that offers public PVP.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

how does the coop campaign feature work? do i need to wait for people to join on the initial setup screen or do people join once the actual mission starts?

do people need my ip?

You can host a dedicated server like most clans/communities/... do or you can make a server yourself on your own computer; either way players will be able to see your server in the server list.

Just a quick one to say a kind thank you to iOGC_Aenigma, for some reason I needed to post another before I could reply. Crazy, but true. So here it is.

Iluvitar

Well, Dragoon, Learn the controls very well, and get used to it, pal.

And then, once you get the hang of everything, get a good gaming mic, and hit the servers.

And seeing how you live in the United Kingdom, I don't see, how there wouldn't be many servers in the UK, since alot of people there play ArmA II.

Cheers,

/Bosnian

Was looking around myself since I just purchased the game (in the middle of downloading), some nice info here and thanks for link to beginners guide!

Cheers

Moustachio

I've had a go on the WASP server the last couple of nights and ran into a few issues.

1. No-one's using voice chat and it's rather hard to watch the text chat all the time so there was a lack of co-ordination (i.e. I didn't know what was going on!).

2. At the start everyone moves off, mostly in whatever vehicles are available, leaving me to hike on foot for ages to the first captured town before I could buy any AI or a vehicle.

3. After I approached a town to capture, I parked the vehicle in some trees and disembarked with my AI team to approach the town and locked the vehicle. When I later returned to my vehicle it had disappeared and for the rest of the game I was stuck on foot, as the only place to purchase vehicles appeared to be the HQ, which was miles away. As far as I could tell, purchased vehicles weren't manned, so I couldn't buy one and order it to come and pick me up.

4. I couldn't find any way to centre the map on myself or my AI and most of the time when I opened it it was focused on somewhere I was nowhere near, making it hard and slow to work out where I actually was. As the map shows all the players, when several of us are at a base or town, it's very hard to actually see my own tag even when fully zoomed in. Is there a way to filter stuff on the map to perhaps just show myself or my AI team?

5. I didn't see any way to easily report a contact, other than by typing in text chat.

6. I found it very hard to tell enemies from friendlies and not wanting to shoot my team-mates, ended up getting shot several times (although a lot of the times I was killed by people I didn't even know were there, from a distance). I guess I just need to learn the differences in uniforms better, but whilst it's easy to take the time to do this when sniping, it's not so easy when you run into someone! I guess it was a bit of a shock coming from the campaign, with red markers signifying the enemy.

Find a good community of experienced players to be a part of and you are sorted, they will keep you right.

It's important to find people with the right mindset as you mate, depending on how you approach the game, either hardcore realis or just fun and everything in between.

I'm usually on in the evenings at "1Para Public Server" [uK]

Its normally running 'Domination' but can be changed if enough people vote for another mission.

I will help anyone who wants to learn.

A mic is necessary but TeamSpeak is not required for this server.

(NOTE: Do not join with ACE addon)

Edited by EDcase

I would suggest joining http://arma-wargames.com

You pick a side the red or blue for easy.

And you will be placed in a certain unit. Ie infantry,airforce,armour......

Then battles are on Sunday. Player vs player.

You will be giving commands by the general on where and what to do etc or from your squad leader's.

I am writing this really quick before i leave for work. If you are interested join the forum and sign up your name. If you want further better info, i will show you the way the game works when you sign up etc.

look for (UCA)Lt-2nd.zikoma

There are many types of servers out there today, but here are the main ones.

1. DayZ- Zombie survival, require you to download mods

2. Roleplaying servers- Roleplay as cops, civs, or custom teams depending on which server your playing (some let you be taliban too, or the Takistani Liberation Army). Probably the second most popular, a bit of a learning curve but can be enjoyed by all teams. Read rules on servers websites or by pushing M for help.

3. Realism servers- often very strict, it is a must to read rules before doing anything, some will ban you on sight if they see you break them. They can be very fun and very teamwork heavy

Tips during combat.

1. Depending on how much people are talking, i will turn off my VoN and max my effects. Listen for footsteps, gunshots, cars, etc. These can often help you find sneaky little guys and give you the upper hand.

2. Start being use to using deductive reasoning to figure out where snipers are. With effects max, you can often hear the gun shots, but pay attention to where bullets land, how long it takes for a bullet to land after a gunshot, etc.

3. Sometimes going alone is better, sometimes its not. Being in teamspeak where you can communicate without the spamming of other players can be key.

4. Be aware of how graphics work. Some grasses and bushes can not be seen from long ranges, which means using them as camo isn't always a good idea.

5. Learn how players play. Sometimes I will get players to follow me so I can trap them or lead them into a area where I can easily kill them.

Welcome to the Arma community Dragoon. You are always more than welcome to jump on the iOGC server mate. I sent you my contact details in a PM so we can get a game going.

Hello mate I'm looking to get into this too can you help me out? Cheers.

Well for the most part if the mission the server is hosting is any good, you can press map and then help, this will bring info up for you to read about that mission and what to do in it.

For the most part have a look online for custom control setups, if you plan to get serious into MP then there are certain things you can do such as swapping your V and K controls as calling out a target is much more frequent than stepping over items (and you wouldnt want to do that during a firefight anyway and also reduces accidental pushing).

A lot of players also reassign their push to talk keys so that they can talk in different channels without the need to cycle.

As an overall try to find groups who aren't going to press gang you into service, iOGC is a good group to play with as they don't hold you accountable if you decide you want a break like so many people do, a lot of clans will feel hurt if you decide to go somewhere else also :D its silly really because your just trying to find the best MP experience.

Thats why we at RGG get on with them because they aren't in your face about joining or merging just because you said you wanted to be friends :)

So yeah give iOGC a try :o

Found the right thread. Thank you for the tips. I will be sure to check all the suggestions out.

Instant addiction. And I've only played 3 hours on the Demo. Buying it asap.

biggest thing I can recommend to new players is to read the name of the server before joining it. A lot of the time the server name will give you a webpage or other information (ACE, ACRE, Mods) and this will be a hint at what might be required to play on the server. Some units use passwords to protect their server - and the password can either be found on their webpage or by joining their TS and asking what is required to get on the server.

Most groups are always recruiting and are usually very happy to help. Some groups have 'recruiting' servers that are open to the public and there they attempt to get to know you (and you them) other groups (like my own) don't have the funds or time to run a public server so we get folks to come on TS and then help them get their games up and running so they can join in with us.

When coming onto Teamspeak - always wait for a pause and say "hello". A lot of us who have TS turn off the announcements (they drive you crazy after a few hours) so if you don't say anything I'll never know you are on my channel.

Good luck finding a group to join - there are tons of them out there for every taste.

1. Appreciate that this is a complex, strategic game unlike conventional shooters; in the Armaverse you are only ever a small cog in a vast wheel. Really understand this. Now think about it some more. Act accordingly, i.e. leave big strategic decisions (such as deploying valuable assets; choppers, tanks, MHQ etc) to more experienced players until you have learned the ropes. Realise that by misusing your side's key assets you can easily RUIN the game for EVERYONE. Say this out loud.

2. Use voice comms whenever possible (default key is CAPS LOCK). Announce your intentions (using SIDE or GROUP channel, NEVER on Global!) and MARK the map (again using side channel) with your intended waypoints, targets, enemy units you have spotted etc. Use your compass (K key) to give accurate bearings to team mates. Remember, if you mark the map when Global Channel is selected, the enemy can see your markings. DO NOT use voice comms to give us a running commentary on your day - only mission-critical information please!

3. Listen and respond positively to advice, criticism from more seasoned players. Ignore unhelpful abuse from grumpy 'vets'. Apologise promptly for your mistakes, especially if wounding or killing friendlies. You will be forgiven. For a while. So learn fast.

4. KEEP MOVING. I can't stress this enough. Don't sit still for long periods - the enemy will find and kill you. Even if you are sniping, relocate after every few shots. Ignore this at your peril. BE AGGRESSIVE; deny ground to the enemy. Work with your squad to take the initiative. BE THE FLANKER NOT THE FLANKEE: this game is brutal and you will find it endlessly frustrating if you try to 'get comfy'. GO THE LONG WAY AROUND: adapt your route to use natural cover (hills, woods etc.); making a bee-line straight to the objective is almost NEVER a good idea.

5. Always move from cover to cover. Trees, bushes, rocks, walls and even shadows are best. Never fire from open ground. You are committing suicide. Never run in a straight line, always zig zag. Go prone as much as possible. If 3rd person view is enabled, use it (NUMPAD ENTER) to get a better view of your surroundings, hold LEFT-ALT to pan the camera without moving your player. Use SOUND to detect nearby enemies; headphones are great for this, but speakers, if loud enough, will do. LEAN around walls to shoot instead of just walking out.

6. Stamina. Don't always sprint everywhere - you will arrive breathless and unable to shoot straight. Allow yourself some walking time before arriving at your next waypoint so you are ready to fight immediately. When nearing enemies, walk crouched to lower your visibility (X key).

7. Select the best weapon for the job. When choosing an assault rifle: 7.62 gives more chance of a one hit kill, but they only hold 20 rounds, so for CQB, e.g. clearing compounds, where full auto is your friend, 5.56 x 30 round mags give more 'shoot time'. If crosshair is disabled, press NUMPAD / to enable CQB sights if your weapon has them. Hold LEFT SHIFT to walk slowly with weapon sights up (never just run into a building or around a corner). If you’re a Machinegunner, think that you’ll need to be prone for accurate automatic fire, i.e. avoid long grass as you can’t see sh*t. If unsure, take a 5.56 assault rifle with an ACOG (RCO); it’s probably the best ‘jack-of-all-trades’ weapon. Avoid suppressed weapons (SD) against human enemy if the server is set to regular difficulty (enemies visible on map); your stealth is pointless as they can just press M to see your location. Also remember that SD weapons are considerably less powerful than their unsuppressed brethren. Practise with weapons, esp. AT launchers, in the editor (first double-click to create a player unit, then select 'empty--->ammo' and drop a few crates around. Hit 'preview' and you're good to go).

8. Be patient. This game has a steep learning curve; many of the players around you have been mastering it for years. Respect this.

Edited by Mandrake5