eble

Syria - What should we do if anything?

:) .. it could indeed be complete shite, I wouldn't grant it as completely accurate. Mainly posting to see if anything of its nature comes around in any reports later, more of a "date stamp it and see" kind of post.

Yea but come on, picture yourself as the Brit making that decision "let's send over a company size force of SAS!" :p

Slatts, you know as well as I do Andy Mcnab was on the batphone through the arrangement of that entire force :)

Joked aside, I wouldn't for one second poo-poo the notion of it entirely, not the reasons, and also the force type, or would I think that its inconceivable that something of this nature wasn't in force for some time, but ... I wouldn't agree on the force numbers and that side of it.

it's another dubious news source beloved by conspiracy theorists along with Russia Today

Well, one man's dubious is another outlet along side the rest as a comparison, its not like the U.N cant peddle some bullshit either through media outlets we see so its fair game all round (speaking generaly).

Edited by mrcash2009

Well, one man's dubious is another outlet along side the rest as a comparison, its not like the U.N cant peddle some bullshit either through media outlets we see so its fair game all round (speaking generaly).

Yep thought you might take that view which is why I thought I might save this till now, where did PressTV get this spoof SAS story? Ooh Aah Daily Star, I said, ooh ahh Daily Star ROFL:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/268989/SAS-hunt-bio-arms/

Originating from the Daily Star, then its solid gold, surely the entire world is aware of this fact.

Much as this subject shouldn't be taken lightly, I am finding that very funny indeed. You have to love the path to WW3, it has its moments for sure.

Originating from the Daily Star, then its solid gold, surely the entire world is aware of this fact.

Much as this subject shouldn't be taken lightly, I am finding that very funny indeed. You have to love the path to WW3, it has its moments for sure.

Just shows you how carefully you have to look at things. That is why I take such a dim view of certain news outlets that many others seem to place great faith in. The tin foil hat mob drink this nonsense like beer - just check out the earnest discussions about this on the various anti-war and conspiracy sites. The David Icke fans are particularly engrosed lol.

Well, granted to a certain extent although you might find some dont have great faith but dont simply run either end of the scale, this would be where i'm firmly placed. Personally this one article point (for me) isnt something to stear me clear of outlets other than the official source. Meat & spit bones and all that.

Outlets, personal views and reliance, one thing we can all see is a hornets nest and shit storm is brewing up nicely, who is stirring the pot, well, take your pick. many sides being played, many angles to be seen.

Something interesting I learned on the militaryphotos.net Syrian Uprising thread is that women in the government controlled areas of Allepo dress like western women, but in the FSA controlled areas of Allepo all the women are wearing Burka's.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?204322-Syrian-Uprising-Photos-and-Videos-Thread-Read-First-post-Excessive-graphic-warn/page331

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?204322-Syrian-Uprising-Photos-and-Videos-Thread-Read-First-post-Excessive-graphic-warn/page332

Something interesting I learned on the militaryphotos.net Syrian Uprising thread is that women in the government controlled areas of Allepo dress like western women, but in the FSA controlled areas of Allepo all the women are wearing Burka's.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?204322-Syrian-Uprising-Photos-and-Videos-Thread-Read-First-post-Excessive-graphic-warn/page331

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?204322-Syrian-Uprising-Photos-and-Videos-Thread-Read-First-post-Excessive-graphic-warn/page332

And you believe this ? BTW nobody's wearing Burka in Syria.

Edited by ProfTournesol

And you believe this ? BTW nobody's wearing Burka in Syria.

Don't play with words, it's niqab and you can see plenty of them in France.

Will you support insurgency of french suburbs rioter, when they will be backed by saudi and qatar ?

Because that's what we're talking about.

I used to support US/NATO politics but now I see what kind of disasters they bring to the world...

Don't play with words, it's niqab and you can see plenty of them in France.

Will you support insurgency of french suburbs rioter, when they will be backed by saudi and qatar ?

Because that's what we're talking about.

I used to support US/NATO politics but now I see what kind of disasters they bring to the world...

I'm not playing with the words, niqab and burka aren't the same thing, that's all. And, knowing some Syrians (familywise), i can assure you that the assertion made is simply false, just inform yourself and don't compare our suburbs with Syria, that's ridiculous. I'm not supporting any side, but most of the rebels aren't extremists, they are Sunnis, that's all.

I'm not playing with the words, niqab and burka aren't the same thing, that's all. And, knowing some Syrians (familywise), i can assure you that the assertion made is simply false, just inform yourself and don't compare our suburbs with Syria, that's ridiculous. I'm not supporting any side, but most of the rebels aren't extremists, they are Sunnis, that's all.

I think I'm well enough informed, thank you to worry.

The problem is western medias, they are biaised, they spread fake informations. You should read that, it's in french but I couldn't find any translation : http://www.theatrum-belli.com/archive/2012/08/31/tribune-libre-la-syrie-au-coeur-de-la-guerre-tiede-d-une-des.html#more

Most of the rebels aren't even from Syria.

Sigh :rolleyes: I'm sorry but you should read the article carefully. BTW, lot's of Lebanese Hezbollah and Iran Revolution Guards are helping Assad, so 1 - 1 on the help from abroad. And Jean GÉRONIMO is a massive supporter of Putin...so his article isn't quite suprising.

Edited by ProfTournesol

but most of the rebels aren't extremists, they are Sunnis, that's all.

That's not meaningful separation. They all are probably Sunnis, I agree. But I think most of Sunnis are extremist scumbags. Just look at Pakistan.

Lol well informed you aren't. Actually most rebels are defectors from the Syrian Army and there are many pictures and videos of defectors displaying their Army ID cards and stating their willingness to fight the government. Reports suggest 20,000 have left the army and are now fighting for the FSA. If you need some examples:

220px-FSA-grab.png

Colonel Riad al-Asaad and other ex-Syrian Military announcing the FSA's formation in an online video statement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVPakZyeJvY

Syria Army Defector General who served in Assad's Army for over 30 years but who now helps plan strategy and tactics for the Free Syria Army in northern Syria.

Syrian Generals and Colonels defecting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXL6hPIZj7g

Army defectors organising a patrol - Rastan (speaker is ex-Syria Air Force Pilot Kasim Muhammad Saad Aldeen)

Syrian Army defectors operating from Lebanon.

1xWTub2Qkwc

eGygHVeYJZg

Hama | A colonel with a large group of army defectors join Free Syria Army and Vid2 Rastan | Homs | Army defectors join Free Syrian Army

Officers retain uniforms and show ID cards.

Edited by PELHAM

Lol well informed you aren't.

To the last news, the rebels lost many grounds in Aleppo. Because in you except the syrian army sunny part who defect, most of the people in Syria support the actual ruler, especially since the "freedom fighters" lost public support with some recent actions. But obviously, in this war like in others, everyone is free to believe what he wants...

I think I should draw a Blue Line between you two

------------------------

Joking, just thought some humour would be nice :p

FSA terrorists threaten to take down Russian civil airplanes. Quite sure CNN and BBC in such case will try to ensure us there would have been several tanks, apcs and attack helis on board to support Asad. http://news.yahoo.com/russia-slams-syria-rebel-threats-target-civil-aviation-182722426.html

Well hundreds of people die every week in government shelling and air raids, this has occurred daily for over a year now and they don't seem to be running out of artillery shells, spare parts, rockets and bombs. It is well known that Russia and Iran are supplying these items so what do you expect the FSA to do?

If military aircraft are being refueled or using the runways at Damascus and Aleppo to conduct bombing sorties, why should the airport facilities be off limits? It would surely be better for the government and Iran/Russia to stop using civilian airports for miitary purposes then they wouldn't be targets?

The Russian Governments own propaganda tool even confirms that weapons are being supplied using the rather lame excuse of 'contractual obligation' lol:

Russia will continue to supply weapons to Syria by contracts

http://rt.com/politics/russia-syria-arms-farnborough-933/

We can't have any external interference in a nations internal problems, can we? lol.

Edited by PELHAM

It is well known
It's quite a weak argument, you know.

Does it really matter who supplies whom? War is good business, and good politics only go toward what is good for the country (by perception of the ruling parties) and not what is "Ethical" according to you, or anyone else.

The alternative to Assads regime is yet another crazy Islamist pseudo-democratic government. The only arab country that managed to have a peaceful and orderly revolution was Tunisia. Lybia was completely ruined as a nation, Syria is going down the drain quick, and Egypt is in shambles also. Political discourse about these matters is supremely hypocritical and biased. Western politicians whining about Russia´s arms industry bolstering its resources by selling to a friendly nation should consider the way their own nations supplied warring factions all over africa, south america and the middle east. Not even talking about the legitimate governments western secret services ruined by direct intervention. (Iran 1953 trough Operation Ajax, Chile 1973 to name a few.)

It would be stupid by the russians not to use this chance, publically or not, to not only sell weapons, but also see them tested in an actual warfare environment.

Wether or not we should intervene, I think we probably shouldn´t. The outcome of this will benefit nobody in the short and middle term, neither NATO, nor the SCO, nor the Syrians or their neighbours. The conflict between the "FSA" and Assad´s regime isn´t a new one, and I suspect it is fuelled to a great degree by religious and ethical differences, rather than true political agendas.

Which means that once the rulers win, we´ll see what we´ve seen almost every time one group got to rule over the other: massacres galore.

Also "hundreds of people die because of X party" is a non argument. Everybody kills everybody. War is the most extreme of human interactions, and it is accordingly violent, not like the sanitized type of conflict we see on our computer screens and TV. It is a sad given. It´d be more surprising to hear that X party failed to kill hundreds of people despite having had the chance and reason to suspect enemies among that number.

Without a massive peace restoration effort on the same scale we´ve seen in Iraq in the past ten years, any military intervention is wasted time. And I doubt that the US, or any other NATO member has the resources, money and willpower to do Iraq all over again.

It's quite a weak argument, you know.

The Russian Government and Russian media both openly admit supplying weapons to Syria? Nothing weak about it, how do you think the weapons are transported to the country? Poltergeists?

@ Instagoat - ridiculous, baseless nonsense that has been disproved and refuted many times over in this forum. Not that it surprises me though, it's always been the Russian way to repeat the same thing over and over again until it sticks with some people.

Edited by PELHAM

I think I should draw a Blue Line between you two

------------------------

Joking, just thought some humour would be nice :p

Lol :D, not working that much, isnt' it ?

Well hundreds of people die every week in government shelling and air raids, this has occurred daily for over a year now and they don't seem to be running out of artillery shells, spare parts, rockets and bombs. It is well known that Russia and Iran are supplying these items so what do you expect the FSA to do?

FSA shouldn't use civilian houses and civilian themselves as live shields. So there wouldn't be so many casualties. Army doesn't shell the house with its inhabitants just for lulz. And now Syrian government is recognized by UN as the only legitimate authority and representative of Syria. So why anybody can't trade with it? Bahrain used some heavy armor to knock off its own protestors but nobody says it can't be supplied with weapons and ammo anymore because of this fact.