Sign in to follow this  
Resilient

Are you going to upgrade because of ARMA 3?

Gamestar interview:

Q: Will there be a 64-bit-version?

Dan:No. There is no reason for this.

being officially confirmed as part of "long-term" © ® evolution, its eventual feature to had, since hitting 2Gb limit cause lotsa headaches even in OFP:R times[mean 4/8bpp textures with 128x128 or smaller textures, compared to 24bpp 4096x4096 textures we're had sometimes now and hi-res geometry/light/animation and etc].

point is "how FAR amd64 support?" question.

side-note: performance-benefits can be intolerable attractive, aside dataflow/dataset-related reasons, too.

1. DirectX11 support BY-ITSELF is definitive feature, meaned in my post. with related positive consequencies.

2. depend level of support meant. note: linux server supplied/supported since 2002 year by BIS ;)

3. it WILL happen. official statement too, 4 years old. question is "HOW Far ?" is that from us in matter of time. basically BIS dev''s had no options, than to switch to 64-bit binaries, period. as they stated in own blog, previously, reasonably.

1. DX11 is indeed a step up. That said, not all available features possible with DX11 will make an appearance in A3.

2. you know what you asked, and linux servers are not in the same box.

3. no, it will NOT happen, not with A3 anyways. Minus a few software that are actually meant to be using all the available ram, most of the other software you have on your PC are still 32 bit. That includes 99.9% of the games out there. The main reason they would push to 64 bit is streaming purposes. That said, i am pretty sure the things will stay just the same as with A2: textures, models etc will be streamed directly off the HDD, so you are better of investing in a SSD.

being officially confirmed as part of "long-term" © ® evolution, its eventual feature to had, since hitting 2Gb limit cause lotsa headaches even in OFP:R times[mean 4/8bpp textures with 128x128 or smaller textures, compared to 24bpp 4096x4096 textures we're had sometimes now and hi-res geometry/light/animation and etc].

point is "how FAR amd64 support?" question.

side-note: performance-benefits can be intolerable attractive, aside dataflow/dataset-related reasons, too.

OA is LAA capable: this means up to 3.2 gb on 32 bit systems, and up to 4gb on 64 bit systems. OA never goes about 2-2.5gb no matter what you do.

I guess BIS did the maths as well, and came to the conclusion that it's just not worth it (might be because they will not change much under the hood to be able to take advantage of more ram, or any other reason for that matter).

Edited by PuFu

Yes, I will be upgrading. Only running AMD A8-3800 APU with what I believe to be a Radeon HD integrated graphics at 2.4 GHz. Running ArmA 2 well. But, 3 looks so sick.

Yup did it already as prices are falling a little in prep for the new tech next year.

My system now is :

CPU: i7 2700k @3.5/3.9

MB: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

GPU: ASUS 560Ti 1GB

RAM: 8Gb DDR3 @ 1600Mhz

SSD: x1 60gb for Win7 64bit & x1 120gb for games

i would upgrade PC (which i bought for Arma1) but sadly no chances to upgrade (lack of money, crisis etc)

cause for sure 2006 PC won't hold 2013 game

i would upgrade PC (which i bought for Arma1) but sadly no chances to upgrade (lack of money, crisis etc)

On lowest detail settings, it might be semi-playable.

Nobody knows how it will exactly run until we get our hands on the alpha and the full version.

Sry to hear vilas, what are your specs?

CPU: AMD 6000+ (dual core), ram 2 GB DDR3, VGA : Nvidia GTS 250 1 GB ram ; it was strong for A1 but then [offtopic] my year earning was 20% bigger than since 2 years and prices were ... [/offtoping] ;]

price of modern PC here is ca. 1000 Euro afaik , if i had money , of course Arma 3 would be main reason to change PC (as every BIS game is worth to do it , cause for me BIS games are ... only games i have on my HDD :D :D :D i don't need anything other than BIS )

Could you build one bit by bit considering arma 3 is ages away? You dont need to have all the money right away just pickout a list and then buy what you can when you can.

CPU: AMD 6000+ (dual core), ram 2 GB DDR3, VGA : Nvidia GTS 250 1 GB ram ; it was strong for A1 but then [offtopic] my year earning was 20% bigger than since 2 years and prices were ... [/offtoping] ;]

price of modern PC here is ca. 1000 Euro afaik , if i had money , of course Arma 3 would be main reason to change PC (as every BIS game is worth to do it , cause for me BIS games are ... only games i have on my HDD :D :D :D i don't need anything other than BIS )

I had A2 running well on a E6600 dual core and a GTS250 buy setting mostly low and using a few tricks, like using high shadows to move work to the cpu, and locking the frame rate to 30 to give the card some headroom entering challenging sections. Seemed to work Ok. I know A3 is a step up again but the GTS250 is equal or better than the min spec 8800, so you might just get away with it, especialy in MP with a server handling AI and stuff.

PS, since the mobo poped the E6600 is now a Q9650 but I still use the GTS250.

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker

I'm gonna see how it runs on my setup and upgrade as needed:

Win7 64-bit

Core i5 2500k 3.30GHz

16gig RAM DDR3 1600Hz

Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti (4gig mem)

I'm gonna see how it runs on my setup and upgrade as needed:

Win7 64-bit

Core i5 2500k 3.30GHz

16gig RAM DDR3 1600Hz

Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti (4gig mem)

I would really recommend upgrading to the GTX 660 Ti when it comes out later this month. Just save up a good $350 starting from now till you have it the money. No hurry of course, just save 20 bucks here and there.

NO, because I can play ARMA 2 just fine on my current rig and because ARMA 3 wasn't my reason for a planned upgrade anyway... that being because I want to assemble a system from the ground up instead of simply replacing components of a hand-me-down system held back by an outdated legacy motherboard.

NO, because I can play ARMA 2 just fine on my current rig and because ARMA 3 wasn't my reason for a planned upgrade anyway... that being because I want to assemble a system from the ground up instead of simply replacing components of a hand-me-down system held back by an outdated legacy motherboard.

When you do build that from the ground up PC, be mentaly prepared for it becoming an outdated machine. Usually around the same time the parts arrive through the post.

Such is the way with technology.

It's not "top of the line" parts I'm looking for at that point (not least since they probably WON'T get Black Friday discounts)... it's up-to-date port/slot compatibility; my motherboard was basically already a step behind (so I'm limited to 4 GB DDR2 RAM for example, partially since the RAM slot placement didn't account for an aftermarket CPU cooler).

That is to say, I'm still looking to do the "build your own PC," but I was thinking of it even before E3 2012 this year.

You usually have to replace the motherboard (and maybe RAM) along with the CPU, and the graphics card of course too, but most other stuff doesn't need upgrading. Arma3 doesn't run better if you waste money on a new case ;)

As you said, Liquidpinky, any stuff you buy is old as soon as you have it. So I'm going to wait until A3 is actually downloadable at the BI-Shop and then see how it fares on my rig (Phenom II X4 940 with 4 GB and a 5850, quite ok for A2), before I buy something new.

I just got I7 3820 3.6ghz, 16 gigs of 1866 crucial ram, ati 6870, dual ssd drives, enclosed water cooling system. It might not be A3 stuff, but it will surely speed up the mapmaking process ;)

I just got I7 3820 3.6ghz, 16 gigs of 1866 crucial ram, ati 6870, dual ssd drives, enclosed water cooling system. It might not be A3 stuff, but it will surely speed up the mapmaking process ;)

if i were you i would save a few bucks buying an i5 (really no difference) and buy a better graphics card, i run a first gen i5-760 oc'd to 4 ghz and a gtx 680 = total win!

Still waiting on a response...

Again, is ARMA 3 a VRAM hog?

BF3 is one, because I can't jack up MSAA without the framerate dropping from 30-40 to like 20 after around 5 minutes of gameplay

depends on resolution, but yes, arma is using a lot of Vram. It can push up to 2gb with 2xAA on 1920x1080. Up the AA or 3d resolution and you can go above that.

depends on resolution, but yes, arma is using a lot of Vram. It can push up to 2gb with 2xAA on 1920x1080. Up the AA or 3d resolution and you can go above that.

I actually should have asked, what type of AA ARMA 3 will use. If it's MSAA, I won't be able to jack up the settings. If it's anything else such as FXAA, I think I will be able to.

I actually should have asked, what type of AA ARMA 3 will use. If it's MSAA, I won't be able to jack up the settings. If it's anything else such as FXAA, I think I will be able to.

A3 will probably have MSAA, FXAA and SMAA available to you like A2 and Take On do now.

SMAA is the mutts nuts for keeping performance up and you can use it to supliment low a MSAA setting to give you some nice smoothing.

mind Z-space amounts ;)

even with 2-3km viewdistances, usual for A2 online, its tend to b notable.

with DX9 ? ;)

"DX9 will matter not" © master Yoda.

so 32-bit versions/platform doesn't too,eventually.