Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

ArmA 3: Rearmed ???

"Recently" BI announced the whole Take On Helicopters: Rearmed concept. Essentially the game automatically detects what other games (ArmA II and OA) are installed. If they are installed it uses the PBOs from those games and allows you to use those things in Take On Helicopters. Is that a possibility for this? Could we potentially get upgraded or non-upgraded A2 stuff in A3 like this? Thoughts? Questions? Confirmation from a BI employee regarding this and/or the presence of Machinegun wielding unicorns?

Notice: I did a search for rearmed in the ArmA 3 section of the forum and came up with nothing relevant so if this is being discussed elsewhere i'm sorry.

i would say bigger than between ARMA 1 and OA or even CWC/R and A1

From the above quote, I'd say that this might not be plausible as the differences between A2 -> A3 are probably much larger than A2 -> Take On.

But then again I'm a bit skeptical to the above statement as A1 -> A2:OA / OFP 1.96 -> A1 jumps were incredibly huge. As always, time will tell as we'll see it for ourselves soon enough.

There was already confirmation from BIS that A2 content is usable in A3. It was in one of the news releases, I will try to dig it up.

EDIT: Found it Quote: " The game's development will also have a strong focus on backward compatibility so that older assets will be usable in ArmA 3. "

Edited by washout77

From the above quote, I'd say that this might not be plausible as the differences between A2 -> A3 are probably much larger than A2 -> Take On.

But then again I'm a bit skeptical to the above statement as A1 -> A2:OA / OFP 1.96 -> A1 jumps were incredibly huge. As always, time will tell as we'll see it for ourselves soon enough.

That is something that worries me too but I am still hoping.

There was already confirmation from BIS that A2 content is usable in A3. It was in one of the news releases, I will try to dig it up.

I was wondering if it would be like the TKOH: Rearmed thing though where it automatically detects the other game and just adds in the content without the user having to shuffle around PBOs. Unless that is what you are talking about and if that is the case then I missed the memo.

Oh I see what you mean. Im not sure, im guessing it will be like Arma 2 Combined Operations where if you have A2 installed and install OA in the same folder is automatically mixes them.

Didn't BIS say that it just will be way easier to convert A2 stuff to A3?...

Dwarden said they still will allow porting of maps to ArmA3 from earlier games provided one has the balls to do it.

Sahrani & Co were ported from AA1 to AA2 after all. So were OFP islands (well - using original geodata and new detail thanks to CWR2 team and the OFP Islands 2010 project). One way or another you will have at least islands and I don't see BIS changing their democratic policy on this yet.

Of course "Rearmed" may not be possible. Or viable. I certainly don't want to install AA2+OA just to get 3 islands into ArmA3.

Edited by metalcraze

EDIT: Found it Quote: " The game's development will also have a strong focus on backward compatibility so that older assets will be usable in ArmA 3. "

I'm having a hard time understanding how this will be possible. I'm sure at least simple static objects will be able to be imported without much work or any at all, but characters and vehicles would need to be converted to the new physic-engine and skeletons, I believe? Also configured for the new equip-system and proxies. Also we dont know how deep JAVA is being mixed in with new configs.

I understand it as it will at least be fairly simple to konvert, kinda like ArmA->ArmA2 or even simpler. But I heavily doubt it will be possible to more or less automatically import stuff through the game.

They allready have Arma 2 so if they just simulate how to auto-install the old stuff into their own game and make it work then they can just make the system that way.

Just import the models that is in whatever you got and replace them.It might be a whole different thing if you wanted to install Everything that existed in Arma 2 into Arma 3.But models+the new Proxies might work just fine.

Also we dont know how deep JAVA is being mixed in with new configs.

Java is only an addition to SQF and SQS, it won't be replacing them for a long while.

Also, I imagine the basics will remain the same, IE proxies and what not.

I doubt it will be plug-and-play usable. Most things will have to be completely reconfigged as base classes will most likely be completely different. For example T72 has a s crew "RU_Crew" or something. This is non-existent in A3.

If the islands are somehow easy to port, im happy. If is an oficial port, even better.

Units and vehicles I think will much much harder to do.