Sign in to follow this  
markb50k

[SP] Lost v 4.0 - Like a mash-up of 'Dogs of War' and 'Manhattan' (without the bugs)!

Woah ... does this mean that you are adding into our Arma2/addons directory instead of use a modfolder? If so, it's not the ideal situation.

Nice work by the way !

as you see, i mention that you can either add to the addons directory or do a modfolder. I'm sure most people who are concerned with adding to the addons directory also know how to do a modfolder.. i would think?

Also, thanks!

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:34 ----------

Why is adding to the addon folder a problem? I know thats the gospel but whats wrong with it? Just curious. if it's essentially a mod now it would be awsome to get this on sixupdater.

Is there any way to make at least some of the patrols cover a little more area? They become a little predictable. If its crazy hard to do i understand, and its a pretty damn hard mission as is. I dont know how to do the spoiler thing, but i've found the patrols to be semi exploitable when its a single group.

How do you mean? Its not hard to change how they patrol, I just want to know what you are seeing so i know how to address it..

Yes indeed mate. I'm concerned about the ones that don't know how to do it :)

Markb50k,

Enjoying your mission. I was wondering if you could explain a bit about your Addon. I just name it @Markb50k and stick it into the main directory.

Of course, I could un-pbo it but that may not tell me much.

Why is it necessary and what's inside? Any secrets?

Your upgrade script thingy: Now THAT's a very cool feature. I like how the missions update within the game play. Not even BIS has this going, so that makes you way ahead of the game.

Did you make it yourself?

Good going.

Markb50k,

Enjoying your mission. I was wondering if you could explain a bit about your Addon. I just name it @Markb50k and stick it into the main directory.

Of course, I could un-pbo it but that may not tell me much.

Why is it necessary and what's inside? Any secrets?

Your upgrade script thingy: Now THAT's a very cool feature. I like how the missions update within the game play. Not even BIS has this going, so that makes you way ahead of the game.

Did you make it yourself?

Good going.

The addon has two main things in it..

- it creates some WEST versions of certain BIS Independents (NAPA, TK guerillas, UN, PMC) so i can have 'good'/'bad' versions of these in the same mission. I hardly use them but i left the code in.

- the most important thing it has is all the code that runs the mission. Since I am making so many versions of the Mission PBOs, it became necessary to move all the scripts in the mission to the addon. If i didnt do that, the download for all these versions would be like 10 megs. Now its a fraction of that because all the missions use the common code in the addon. Kinda like Warfare of other game modes.

I saw you writing to SaOK to see if he could do something similar to the upgrade script. Its possible, but what that thing does is check a variable in the addon "vVersion" and if the new PBO version is different than the saved version in memory in your running game, it knows the PBO is more uptodate then the mission save game, so it does whatever i put in the upgrade script for that particular version.

So for example, lets say i change a script that was precompiled at the beginning of the mission, normally a script change like that wont take affect in a current save game because the mission isnt reading from the file anymore, its reading from the precompiled memory. So, in my upgrade script, i just RE-precompile the new version of the file so that the mission gets the most up-to-date function. For MAJOR changes to the mission, this upgrade process is not worth it, so my auto-upgrade process was only useful once i got to a pretty stable code base of the mission that I knew I'd only need to upgrade in small parts each upgrade.

Hope that helps, and I am so glad you are enjoying the mission.

FYI, I should be releasing a new version pretty soon. I got the Finnish Defense Forces units automatically added to NATO troops if you have the FDFmod loaded. Pretty cool.

I saw you writing to SaOK to see if he could do something similar to the upgrade script. Its possible, but what that thing does is check a variable in the addon "vVersion" and if the new PBO version is different than the saved version in memory in your running game, it knows the PBO is more uptodate then the mission save game, so it does whatever i put in the upgrade script for that particular version.

Hey man! I'm not a spy!:rolleyes:

Hope that helps, and I am so glad you are enjoying the mission.

I'm surprised that BIS has not contacted you yet. Seems they are looking for people like you to join their team and people like me to buy and play their games.:p

Features:

Version 4.91:

- NEW : Finnish Defense Forces now automatically included on all non-desert islands if mod loaded

- NEW : PMC now automatically included in all desert/third world islands

Upcoming:

- Jade Groove using NATO vs TK Config

- implement Lingor units when new version of addon is out

- Tasmania using NATO vs RU Config

- Tigeria using NATO/Tigeria vs RU Config (let me know if its good idea to include another OPFOR faction like Duala's MOL)

- Qom Province using NATO vs TK Config

- Namalsk using NATO vs RU Config

- Considering : Iranian Forces Mod

- Considering : PCDF

- Considering : PRACS

- Ideas???

If you do PRACs maybe do it on Sahrani with CAA1. I would also welcome the addition of PCDF.

I'm using PCDF with Celle2 now. Will the units show up or is this something the mission maker has to make happen?

Noticed it working with Saok's Zub mission.

I'm using PCDF with Celle2 now. Will the units show up or is this something the mission maker has to make happen?

Noticed it working with Saok's Zub mission.

Depends. If you are using PCDF "replacement configs" where the new PCDF units use the same classnames as the BIS CDF troops then they'll show up. If you are using the PCDF troops as new units then they wont show up.

Oh, and FYI, since last release or so, the Celle2 version doesnt include CDF at all. Not a big deal for you, since yours has already started. But if you were to restart Celle 2 you would have USMC->BAF only (with FDF if the mod is loaded)

Edited by markb50k

Not sure if this is the right place to post this (as opposed to the beta v92333 thread) but does anybody ever experience custom script lag on a mission that is resumed a few times? I ask here because it happens to me especially during this mission. When I go to the map, I try to select a unit (i. e. 'High Command' script actions) and I get heavy lag between the click and the actual response of the unit to my selection click. Sometimes I get tired of waiting so I just hit the 'F#' keys to skip the wait. It also seems to happen to custom script specific actions (only affects mission creator added actions, standard/vanilla actions all still work perfectly) in the action menu, I get about a 3-7 second lag of no action until my menu selection actually activates. The weirdest thing is sometimes it goes away for a couple minutes and I think all is fine again until the lag comes back. After the lag finishes, all my compiled scripted actions happen simultaneously. During the action/command lag, if I go into the map and switch back vice versa between in-game the action(s)/command(s) immediately works. Everything else in-game runs perfect, these resumed game script actions have been plaguing me a lot recently. Has anybody else ever experienced this or is it just me? Happens to me a lot now on resume/loaded missions with custom menu actions and I can't pinpoint the reason as to why I'm getting that specific lag. I don't think it's something as serious as a HDD/defrag problem, I run ArmA 2 off a SSD. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Edited by DeltaFiveOne
Further clarification

Yeah i notice that too, not sure what that is, but yeah its always on a Resume.

My only idea is that since those scripts are in the Addon, on a resume, the game engine has to load the addon again the first time you try to access a script in the addon. If anyone has an idea on how to prevent that, i'm all ears.

and an update on what's going on..

in progress:

- PCDF compatability

- new islands: nicosia, tasmania, tigeria, tropica, qom province

- general fixes/enhancements

will try to have an update out in the next day or so.

Yeah i notice that too, not sure what that is, but yeah its always on a Resume.

My only idea is that since those scripts are in the Addon, on a resume, the game engine has to load the addon again the first time you try to access a script in the addon. If anyone has an idea on how to prevent that, i'm all ears.

and an update on what's going on..

in progress:

- PCDF compatability

- new islands: nicosia, tasmania, tigeria, tropica, qom province

- general fixes/enhancements

will try to have an update out in the next day or so.

Yeah I wouldn't worry, it's not your addon. I also get that problem during other user created missions with custom interfaces that use no addons. Just wish I knew what the Hell exactly is causing that problem so I could eliminate it once and for all.

I've noticed that if I have team members around me while I "search" a house, it takes longer to initialize, so I don't allow them near me while doing it. Seems to work better that way.

I don't know why.

By the way, is it a major objective to search every house in every town and village?

well, my guess is that scripts like Actions and ones from the Comms menu are of a lower priority to the game engine, and as such, the more going on, the less important that script is, and you see the delay. With troops nearby, the engine is busy with figuring out certain actions that i enable on all troops, and that is probably what is happening. Sorry if its annoying, but I think that may have something to do with it.

As for your question, no, there isnt a major objective to search every house, if you dont search them, then you cant get anything from the searches, so its pretty much up to you what you deem important.

If you can think of any extra incentive I can put in to award persistence and searching every house on the map, I'd consider adding it in. Also, if you can think of any other "achievements" let me know. I think it would be neat.

My question about "search" being primarily important to the mission was not a complaint. I was just wondering how important it was.

As you know, there are some pretty big maps out there with lots of small towns which have lots of homes to search.

Incentive wise, the mission is just fine as it is. If I have any ideas, will be glad to share them.

well, my guess is that scripts like Actions and ones from the Comms menu are of a lower priority to the game engine, and as such, the more going on, the less important that script is, and you see the delay. With troops nearby, the engine is busy with figuring out certain actions that i enable on all troops, and that is probably what is happening. Sorry if its annoying, but I think that may have something to do with it.

This is a good explanation, I wanted to just add a 'wrinkle' to the analysis. I'd hate to name other non-related user created missions in your thread but it also happens to me in "The Forgotten Few" with the menu commands after a resume to the mission/campaign, just wanted to add that I think it's more of an engine issue than your mission in my honest opinion. The orders/artillery/support menu (another custom action type menu) in that mission (TFF) starts to do the same lag in-game and it forces me to go to the map to make my chosen selection finally activate. I thought it could've been something as serious as a corrupt installation on my SSD. Wonder if that custom script priority could be tweaked by BIS? Maybe I should bring this up in Dev Heaven or the beta bug reporting thread. May just be an engine issue completely. Thanks again!

Edited by DeltaFiveOne
Addendum

I do not notice a slow down like that when resuming on my games is it hardware specific?

I've been playing the missions with the newer SLX package.. Its brutal :)

I have an additional thing. I've noticed on the islands like Duala and lingor that it never feels as fleshed out as much as the Chernarus/Utes/Zargabad/Takistan maps seem to be.. It feels really empty on duala and lingor.. Is that intentional? I mean it in a way that when I play on Zargabad and Chernarus it feels like I am being hunted... the other maps it just feels like you run around and happen to bump into baddies..

Edited by heklos

BIG UPDATE: New configuration screen that lets you choose the factions used in the mission. Plus some new island and supported mods!!!

Version 4.92

In a word - FREEDOM!

- Now any Lost-supported faction in your loaded mods can be added to the mission on ANY ISLAND. Its your choice. Want to fight Cold War Rearmed Soviets vs Operation Frenchpoint? How about Takistan and Molatia vs Afrene and BAF? Its up to you.

- ALL islands support ALL factions.

- island : Jade Groove

- island : Isola Di Capraia

- island : Nicosia

- island : Tasmania 2010

- island : Tigeria

- island : Tropica

- island : Qom Province

- faction : OFrP (French Army, desert, woodland, and UN factions)

- faction : Project CDF (both CDF and Peoples Republic of South Zagoria (PRSZ))

BIG UPDATE: New configuration screen that lets you choose the factions used in the mission. Plus some new island and supported mods!!!

Version 4.92

In a word - FREEDOM!

- Now any Lost-supported faction in your loaded mods can be added to the mission on ANY ISLAND. Its your choice. Want to fight Cold War Rearmed Soviets vs Operation Frenchpoint? How about Takistan and Molatia vs Afrene and BAF? Its up to you.

- ALL islands support ALL factions.

- island : Jade Groove

- island : Isola Di Capraia

- island : Nicosia

- island : Tasmania 2010

- island : Tigeria

- island : Tropica

- island : Qom Province

- faction : OFrP (French Army, desert, woodland, and UN factions)

- faction : Project CDF (both CDF and Peoples Republic of South Zagoria (PRSZ))

Beautiful, one of my favorite missions of ALL-TIME!

quick fix: misspelling of one of the PRSZ soldiers

removed bad HK_416 version from weapons list

if you DL'd 4.92 please get 4.93 thanks.

quick fix: misspelling of one of the PRSZ soldiers

removed bad HK_416 version from weapons list

if you DL'd 4.92 please get 4.93 thanks.

whooo glad I am up early. dl now.

You sir have created a masterpiece. Oh suggestion. Perhaps a difficulty starting option? Right now whatever you pick as your starting character you get all the weapons by default with the class. In the interest of making it harder, could an option be introduced that allowed you to pick a starting level of preparedness. Meaning that you could start with the default like it is now, or there was an option that starts you with substantially less in terms of weapon quality, ammo and accessories.

Last thing I promise.. :) How can I add Icewindo's Apocalypse Resistance units. If its a matter of unpbo and adding the classnames I can do that. Just need confirmation on the steps.

Thanks!!!! These are soo good I would have to be playing them while I am supposed to be at work.. HA right as if I would do that.... uh.. I have a cough.. yeah. a cough. I'm sick.

Edited by heklos

I think I may have found a small bug, I cannot initially control the "PMCs" when I'm "BIS US Army" and I barely manage to get my hands on a radio. This happened during Lost in Takistan. They don't respond to orders unfortunately. I had them join my personal player group and had to split each of them in their own platoons/fireteams for me to be able to take full control of them. Small bug regardless, not sure how much of a perfectionist you are markb50k hehe..

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Correction: None of my units (non-player groups) respond to waypoints.

@heklos : I'll take a look at the Resistance units and a way of controlling loadout. To add new units just look in init_factions.sqf in the Addon PBO, i belive that is the only file you have to update. if you add in the array for the units then send me the file ill put it in for the next update.

@delta : hmm, if you are able to get them to join your player group, then they are in you High Command units. If they are in your high command units then they should respond to you. I dont do anything special there. So, my initial guess is a problem with High Command. sometimes you have to wait a while for a unit to respond, like they are stupid and won't move. I'll take a look at it however anyway. Thanks!

And I guess you guys realize this but i forgot to add it in to the update notes, but now you can choose your starting player from any of your loaded west/resistance mods, even if you dont include that faction in the mission.

@heklos : I'll take a look at the Resistance units and a way of controlling loadout. To add new units just look in init_factions.sqf in the Addon PBO, i belive that is the only file you have to update. if you add in the array for the units then send me the file ill put it in for the next update.

@delta : hmm, if you are able to get them to join your player group, then they are in you High Command units. If they are in your high command units then they should respond to you. I dont do anything special there. So, my initial guess is a problem with High Command. sometimes you have to wait a while for a unit to respond, like they are stupid and won't move. I'll take a look at it however anyway. Thanks!

And I guess you guys realize this but i forgot to add it in to the update notes, but now you can choose your starting player from any of your loaded west/resistance mods, even if you dont include that faction in the mission.

Saw that.. and that kind of already gets the previous suggestion out of the game.. If you want it harder just pick a civilian type character from NAPA.. I've been running and hiding with only 2 mags and a AKM for the last hour :)

Soon as I can figure out the class names for the units i will place them in the file.

Edited by heklos

Saw that.. and that kind of already gets the previous suggestion out of the game.. If you want it harder just pick a civilian type character from NAPA.. I've been running and hiding with only 2 mags and a AKM for the last hour :)

Soon as I can figure out the class names for the units i will place them in the file.

LOL, thats an interesting choice. Something even I didnt consider, starting as a NAPA villager. NICE!!!

UPDATE: ive finished configuring the Tora Bora map, and adding in PRACS units as well to the mod. Wow, that mod has alot of stuff! Anyway, hope to get a new update out tomorrow after i test it.