SFG

Invasion 1944 v2.6 (CO)

decided to install ACE, Play withSIX decided to not only update my beta patch (Steam version, I also have a non steam one) but also update mods detected (some of them didn't get detected at all) and then freeze, leaving download progress via r/zsync unfinished which later corrupted the mods as well.
When there are freezes and other such problems the issue is usually on your system, an incompatibility between some software, security suite / settings, and rsync/zsync.

If you would like some support on that, post a troubleshooting topic to our support section.

As BI stated. Beta patches are not backwards compatible, forcing an older patch over a newer one may indeed result in errors just like in this case.
Where did BI state this? There's generally no problem in running different beta versions, but indeed in a beta patch a while ago there were changes that were not really backwards compatible.

This is an exception rather than rule. If there are true backwards incompatibilities, BI normally bumps the version number (not just the revision) making it impossible to join.

However, if you guys are going to force beta update by default, at least make sure you have the latest one in the cloud.
Forcing would indicate there's no opt-out, but there is. And fully disagreed with the rest of the statement.

There is no good reason to just blindly push out the latest version and get the larger part of the player base into trouble.

A large part of the player base plays DayZ which requires the beta to operate at all.

In any case, more control over the Beta patch, incl the specific version or channel (experimental vs 'stable') etc, is planned: http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com/withsix/topics/more_control_over_mod_beta_updates_and_better_overview

but it has limited functionality and there's lots of things to be fixed still. If you want more feedback (at least from me) give me Play withSIX thread link on BI forums, otherwise I can't submit my feedback.
What's so special for you that you cannot use the Support section that everybody else uses?

General purpose forums are tailored towards discussion, not problem tracking.

In any case, search on BI Forums for "Play withSIX" and you shall find also our BIF threads.

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 ----------

however Play withSIX is still relatively unstable.
We're not aware of this relative instability. What we do know is that not all SIX Updater functionality is available yet today in PwS, did you mean that?

Issues are often caused by incompatibilities or misconfiguration on the user system. If we can get some diagnostics data like report details, log files etc, we'll be glad to look into it.

Edited by Sickboy

I use PWS for I44 - it installs to MyDocs and I move it to the appropriate location.

I use 6 updater for ACE

I use manual install for other mods that I installed before I started using 6.

I install my own Betas.

None of this is difficult, none of these processes are unstable.

When there are freezes and other such problems the issue is usually on your system, an incompatibility between some software, security suite / settings, and rsync/zsync.

If you would like some support on that, post a troubleshooting topic to our support section.

Might be the case, I use ClearPackets commercial firewall on all my systems with harsh custom filters that may have blocked something.

Where did BI state this? There's generally no problem in running different beta versions, but indeed in a beta patch a while ago there were changes that were not really backwards compatible.

This is an exception rather than rule. If there are true backwards incompatibilities, BI normally bumps the version number (not just the revision) making it impossible to join.

I can't remember exactly, but I've read it on one of bi wiki pages as well as in some of earlier beta patch notes. Things might have changed over time but from experience I know that beta patches may not be compatible with one another in some cases. The backwards compatibility (uninstalling beta patch) is relatively possible with retail version, but not steam.

Forcing would indicate there's no opt-out, but there is. And fully disagreed with the rest of the statement.

There is no good reason to just blindly push out the latest version and get the larger part of the player base into trouble.

A large part of the player base plays DayZ which requires the beta to operate at all.

In average users terms forcing of beta patch (which I was using for explanation and better understanding by others) - A green Play button is all of suddenly yellow Update button, so what do you do if you didn't know that there was opt-out and you want to play your game with latest installed mods but can't get any info on what the Update button will do? You either quit, or push/tap it and update. That's what I thought, PwS looks simple, easy to use, hey, a small update is available, updates are good! Specially if they update the game, but then the "forcing" of older beta patch happened, and it wasn't possible to stop either (even if there was a button for that) you can't just interupt patching without issues.

In any case, more control over the Beta patch, incl the specific version or channel (experimental vs 'stable') etc, is planned: http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com/withsix/topics/more_control_over_mod_beta_updates_and_better_overview

That's good to hear. I will wait for those implementations.

What's so special for you that you cannot use the Support section that everybody else uses?

General purpose forums are tailored towards discussion, not problem tracking.

I am a busy designer and developer myself, and because of that I have dozens of business account on business related sites-communities which leaves me with only 4 accounts for gaming as I don't have more free time to spare. Sure thing making just another account or just posting an issue isn't much for majority of users, but for me it is, I try to manage my free time properly. The main reason why I'm very active on this forum lately are holidays (which will sadly end soon) weren't it for them I wouldn't have even signed up (which I did recently) here and start making some missions.

So if I am to provide any feedback, it will either land in one of your threads, PM's or when I do have time to start a support ticket on your website, of which speaking off, you should provide a link.

We're not aware of this relative instability. What we do know is that not all SIX Updater functionality is available yet today in PwS, did you mean that?

Issues are often caused by incompatibilities or misconfiguration on the user system. If we can get some diagnostics data like report details, log files etc, we'll be glad to look into it.

Not all of the functionality + random crashes, missing options, failure to detect mods, etc. PwS is new, and it's in public beta form, so it's normal to have those issues in some cases. And I agree that issues are often caused by incompatibility with user systems, however, I always double check everything before use. As for reports and logs, I checked those myself, sadly I uninstalled PwS before this comment and can't provide copies of those.

To put it simple. For something that is free to use, PwS is a good bundle (I applaud the team members involved) one can't and shouldn't complain about it as it's free. I myself don't expect anything better. But if you want to crush more bugs before releases, I suggest you do what I usually do with my own software:

1. Publish Closed Alpha to pre-defined number of loyal users/testers to test.

2. Pass this on to Closed Beta for pre-defined number of volunteer beta testers to test.

3. Pack a Beta version and add a debugger that will notify you of issues in form of error reports (previously allowed or denied by user of course) and make this release optional.

4. Publish a Release Candidate that is available to everyone publicly but with difference that it's semi-beta semi-stable.

5. And finally, build a stable release that everyone can use freely and with peace of mind.

But then again it's just my humble opinion, perhaps you follow all of these steps already :)

No biggie about it. Good thing I have a fast and unlimited internet connection and that I got used to uninstalling/installing/tweaking things on my systems, otherwise I would have been really pissed off with redownloading, reinstalling and configuring CO and mods again. So, in a way everything is fine now, I can enjoy holidays, play some coop missions with friends and use few of many great mods out there, will start playing I44 soon as well.

As for PwS, Thanks to you, your team and everyone involved for all of your hard work, but I won't download and use it in a while, say several months until it can reach my expectations.

Indeed lets get back on topic, TANKS AND EXPLOSIONS!!!

2641.th.jpg2642v.th.jpg2643n.th.jpg

2644e.th.jpg2645p.th.jpg2646o.th.jpg

As you can see in the shots, tanks can become damaged and disabled in very distinct ways producing a nice varied battlefield atmosphere, with smoke building and pouring from hatches, growing to fires, with the risk of ammo explosions for even more fireworks. Time to read up on your armour and learn those weak spots soldiers!

Edited by PacUK

Hi PacUk, I was wondering if you would consider forcing camo faces in the config for the Allied Airborne units? http://www.armatechsquad.com/ArmA2Class151656165165341654165165165165f/A2/Faces/

This would be a nice June '44 touch. It is something I am going to look at for my own I44 install but obviously I would rather have the same install as everyone else :) Possibly though the modern camo faces may jar a little, may need some custom paas. Also, not sure if you saw my earlier post re adding one or two camo units into the Heer groups? This has added a nice bit of immersion to my game.

JJ

Edited by jiltedjock

As you can see in the shots, tanks can become damaged and disabled in very distinct ways producing a nice varied battlefield atmosphere, with smoke building and pouring from hatches, growing to fires, with the risk of ammo explosions for even more fireworks. Time to read up on your armour and learn those weak spots soldiers!

new :pray::now:video demonstration TANKS AND EKSPLOSIONS please!!!

urgently give me Amazing new tank burning effect and Penetration Effects,waite and waiting so long

Nice work I44 team!

The tank burning pics, look great, it will really add to the atmosphere, and enhance the realism alot more of the mod!

Agree about the tank burning pics they look great, i've only just found arma2 and this mod the first time i saw a tank cooking off ammo was a great experience :D

Making some great progress on 2.64, chomped through most of the issues we'd planned to cover, though a couple have had to slip to a later version as we are very under-manned right now team wise. But it looks like we should be able to release in the next couple of weeks hopefully before the end of January unless we find any major issues in the upcoming MP tests. I'd really like to do a promo vid of the new damage system if possible, it probably won't end up being too cinematic though and more showing off the various explosion and fire effects. Really though nothing quite gets the feel of it across until you land a round smack on the front of a tiger, then see it still coming through the smoke without a dent (and nothing better than being in the Tiger instead!). Either way though this video may have to wait until post release as it does take time out from actually working on the patch :(

On the faces, I won't have time to address it for 2.64 but possibly in a later patch, I think we need to re-fix the setup for them anyway as we had some ethnic faces slipping in where there shouldn't be and there's nothing like some good old fashion racism to keep the mod historically accurate.... On a note about the camo face paint, I found it pretty amusing when browsing some colourised photos to see some AB troopers with literal Native American (could this paragraph get anymore confusing in its political correctness?) war face paint. Red white and blue stripes in a night time drop could be fun too!

Brilliant idea Pac, adds a whole new tactical level on whether that Tiger in the village is destroyed or not

Heh yeah there shouldn't be too much confusion about that anymore :D We've always been a bit torn by using damage textures or not as sometimes it just looks a bit too extreme (or not extreme enough). While at some point I would love to have proper wreck models they are pretty tough to produce especially for the vast array of vehicles we have. However these new effects give a great bit of visual feedback to the gameplay and should make the situation a lot more readable from a players perspective. Also the new penetration data means where and when you engage tanks is going to require a lot more thought and planning if you hope to survive the encounter, including real world tactic use such as using regular shermans to distract heavy armour while firefly's go in for the kill and other fun bits that should prove for some interesting situations.

Sounds top quality mate.

I can't wait to try it and I can't wait to share it with my comrades.

Especially since a few of my clan have drifted away to grind on World of Tanks :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed this new system might just tempt them back, those people familiar with different tanks armour configurations are definitely going to have one up on everyone used to hitting any part of the tank and whittling it down to a firey ball of metal. We've got most of the issues we can fix in a timely fashion out of the way now and should be finalising things this weekend ready for some mp tests. Then any final fixes and we hope to get it out to you guys soon as possible.

While the patch will be lacking in much new content, the gameplay enhancements really improve the existing content so much I think its worth the rush to get it out to you all instead of delaying while we slog away working on distant LOD models for tanks and infantry we don't quite have ready yet. Also with Gnat's plane overhauls and new planes from Yac about to steamroll into our main production line we'll likely push that content into a post 2.7 version rather than intermittent ones before hand. Then we can look to add the new heavy tanks and AA weapons that we just don't have the time for right now with our tiny team in 2.71 or so :) This will also allow us to ensure the planes balance with the new tank damage systems and the weapons can have the desired effects rather than squeezing in a third patch to balance the two together.

Good emphasis.

Especially given that CO offers much better simulation of land units (infantry & tanks) than air units (fixed & rotary wing).

Small bit of news, just finished that last fix so we'll be moving into testing this week. Fingers crossed nothing major crops up and we should be on schedule to release next weekend. I did manage to find a very small bit of time to squeeze in one cheeky new unit, its not 100% but I thought it would be fun to include it, you can spot them hitching a ride in the shots below:

arma2oa2013011201475713.th.jpg arma2oa2013011201473507.th.jpg

Oh very nice to hear!

Our TvT campaign will surely benefit theese improvements since our Allied tankers are too much cocky when facing german armours.

Oh to stay on topic,will you plan some update for tanks optics? right now there are tanks with no zoom at all(PZIV and Sherman with 75mm cannon IRC)and that's not historically correct,tanks with very nice and realistic stepped zoom(panther and tiger) and a lot of tanks with the not so nice and not realistic vanilla zoom system.

Thx for always answering community's questions and Kudos for your awesome work

Homer overhauled the optics a while ago but these days there's no one to do it so unless you'd like to volunteer yourself, there are no plans to do anything more at this time. Though on that note I think the panzer iv's sights are correct as they are but I'm no tank buff, either way this just puts more emphasis on working with your crew with the commander spotting the rounds landing and directing corrections to the gunner :)

Small bit of news, just finished that last fix so we'll be moving into testing this week. Fingers crossed nothing major crops up and we should be on schedule to release next weekend. I did manage to find a very small bit of time to squeeze in one cheeky new unit, its not 100% but I thought it would be fun to include it, you can spot them hitching a ride in the shots below:

http://imageshack.us/a/img46/1116/arma2oa2013011201475713.th.jpg http://imageshack.us/a/img209/4604/arma2oa2013011201473507.th.jpg

I like the 1st pic. Looks realistic.

Anyway, I still didn't install the mod, sort of busy atm, but will get it eventually. I wanted to ask something though, does this mod have Soviet units? Or is it just a D-Day version of WW2?

does this mod have Soviet units

That qustion is answered on page 1 of this thread surprisingly...

So I44 is not WW2 coverage but D-Day part of WW2 after all.

WW2 without Soviet is like Nazzi/Ananerwa without Hitler...Still, for a free mod that is based around WW2 in such a detail even this is sufficient. Guess I'll have to try Iron Front someday as well then.

So I44 is not WW2 coverage but D-Day part of WW2 after all

The I for "Invasion" + 1944 should give it away ...... ;)

WW2 without Soviet is like Nazzi/Ananerwa without Hitler...

I think the Polish, the French, the Italians, the Netherlands, the Japanese, the Malaysians, the Australians, the Yugoslavians, the Libyans and the Egyptians, just to name a few, might want to argue .... :D

So I44 is not WW2 coverage but D-Day part of WW2 after all.

Guess I'll have to try Iron Front someday as well then.

and be hugely disappointed for paying for an unfinished,plenty of bugs and unsupported game.

Trust me,spare money and time and keep playing I44

So I44 is not WW2 coverage but D-Day part of WW2 after all. WW2 without Soviet is like Nazzi/Ananerwa without Hitler...Still, for a free mod that is based around WW2 in such a detail even this is sufficient. Guess I'll have to try Iron Front someday as well then.

D-Day was a subtitle of the 2.0 release that some sites/threads still list. We attempt to cover as much of the European theater as we can, from Omaha up to the Battle of the Bulge. We've never proclaimed the mod as covering the whole of WW2 nor would we want to try to do so. We'll cover what areas we can with the content we do produce, so expansion will always be localised to what content we have and can build upon to make the most of it.

If we were to try to cover every front we would end up much like Iron Fronts D-Day DLC, with one tank and plane per side. In the ten years the mod's been in existance its covered a wide range of scenarios from Sicily to Holland with releases across OPF, ArmA, ArmA2, and now Combined Operations. If theres something you still want, help us make it, though we're still not tempted by the Russian Front, Iron Front and Red Orchestra 2 cover that plenty, and Hell in the Pacific have that part of the war covered, as well as September 1939, and Army of the Czecho-Slovakia republic 1938-1945 mods, there's little point in us all trying to produce the same content.