Sign in to follow this  
hcpookie

M1161 - The Marines' $200,000 Jeep

If its good enough for the USMC, its good enough for us :)

v1.2 released! New features and numerous fixes If this version works out with no issues then I'll upload the MLODs. Look for pook_M1161_v1.2.zip here:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5b54fc51a7917265#cid=5B54FC51A7917265&id=5B54FC51A7917265%211909

UPDATE: v1.2 MLODs are now available! Look for this file in the same download location: pookM1161_v1.2_MLOD.rar

Requires OA! Tested with 1.60.

==============================

NEW CONTENT/FEATURES:

==============================

NEW: Bouncy Antennas! :)

NEW: Usable spare tire

NEW: Commander spotlight for baseline ITV and Ambulance versions

NEW: Ambulance version with ambulance light and siren horn. Found under "USMC" > "Support".

NEW: Sunroof attach/detach menu item

NEW: Packs can be removed via animation.

NEW: Correct icon and picture graphics.

FIX: Correct grill texture; no more 'whiteout' on the front.

FIX: Animation fixes for ammo belts

FIX: Several model and animation issues

IMPROVED: Sunroof texture

Full list:

- Stringtable localizations for menu items.

- Bouncy antennas!

- Spare Tire! If the vehicle suffers a blowout, you can use the spare tire. To use, approach the vehicle and

selet "Use Spare Tire" from the menu. The spare tire repair is AI-aware meaning AI will re-enter the vehicle once

repaired. The spare tire change takes almost 30 seconds to complete.

- The ambulance version with switchable light is found under USMC > Support. Normal versions under USMC > Cars.

- Correct front grille texture and fix for the original texture issue that caused a white-out texture.

- Sunroof, Windshield, and ambulance light can be used by the driver or commander.

- The Windshield and Sunroof menu items can be used when the vehicle is stationary.

- Backpakcs can be removed by placing this in the vehicle's init line:

this animate ["packs", 1];

- hiddenselectiontextures are supported:

Texture 0: "clan" (large hood emblem),

Texture 1: "clan_sign" (small hood emblem),

Texture 2: "clan_sign2" (license plate emblems).

Replace these textures with any logo of your choice as per the BIS Wiki instructions for hidden selection textures.

- Transport Capacities:

- The ITV and ambulance versions carry 4 people total: 1 driver, 1 commander + 2 cargo.

- The M2 and Mk19 versions carry 5 total: 2 crew and 3 cargo.

- The SOV versions carry 5 total: 3 crew and 2 cargo.

- Transport Backpack capacity for all models = 6 backpacks.

- Transport magazines equipped with (mostly) USMC munitions equipped for the "firepower and mobility" mindset.

==============

CHANGELOG:

==============

v1.2: 7/13/2012

NEW: Bouncy Antennas!

NEW: Usable spare tire

NEW: Commander spotlight for baseline ITV and Ambulance versions

NEW: Ambulance version with ambulance light and siren horn. Found under "USMC" > "Support".

NEW: Sunroof attach/detach menu item

NEW: Packs can be removed via animation.

NEW: Correct icon and picture graphics.

FIX: Correct grill texture; no more 'whiteout' on the front.

FIX: Animation fixes for ammo belts

FIX: Several model and animation issues

IMPROVED: Sunroof texture

v1.1: 12/19/2011

Corrected cargo proxy issue on baseline model.

v1.0: 12/19/2011

Initial Release

Ambulance version:

amb1.jpg

Spare Tire - fixes one blowout and is AI aware!

spare2.jpg

spare3.jpg

spare4.jpg

New sunroof and correct grille:

M1161_a1.jpg

M1161_a2.jpg

m2SOV_1.jpg

m1161showcase.jpg

Edited by hcpookie

Do you stretch your photos weirdly (like shrink the vertical, but not horiztonal?)

I have Eyefinity (3x monitors) so my resolution is 5760 x 1080. All my screenshots are letterboxed :) And yes it is worth every penny to play Arma2 on 3 monitors. Here it is before I crop it:

m1161wide.jpg

AWESOME!

I know that ride in BF3, you dont want to know how i drive with that :D

Maybe i learn in ArmA how to drive it the normal way.

Well, it's ArmAverse.. There's no real Chernarus, so maybe a Mutt combi won't do much harm. ;)

Well, it's ArmAverse.. There's no real Chernarus, so maybe a Mutt combi won't do much harm. ;)

Indeed, and maybe there will be different versions. I Like that ride :yay:

I had heard these are in the new game, but I am on an MV22 kick right now so I started looking at what could be done to fill that cargo hold with a usable vehicle, and discovered the saga of the M1161. Still can't believe they are spending so much on it but that's tax dollars at work for ya! :mad:

Well that isn't the true M1161 Growler - your version looks like old M151 combi version :D

Just look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growler_(vehicle) and you will notice the difference

Other than some obvious retexture needs, I believe it looks reasonably close:

growler1.jpg

What difference specifically do you believe needs to be addressed? The textures? I am looking at what can be done about that.

About the model - well, I'm working with what I have onhand - namely converting Arma1 models. I have no intention of building a model from scratch since that will take much more time than I have to give to it. LMK what needs to be done on the model.

Remember also that the M1161 project started life as rebuilt jeeps! So I believe that converting the model is entirely plausible way to add this to the game. Just for a lower cost than the real thing :) Heck I'd take the doors off of my jeep, paint it green, and sell it to the Marines for a lot less money than one of those suckers! LOL

Edited by hcpookie

It sounds like they got the M1161 working after spending millions and a lot of time, but it's a damn scandal the competing design wasn't chosen.

Regardless, it will still be cool to deploy from a V-22 in ArmA2 if that's possible.

Uh how useless is this Vehicle =D

One hiding Mg Gunner and everyone is dead.

They can do 50. cal out of Plastic, if it hasn´t cover lol.

3D models are basically done! Destroyable wheels, shadow, hitpoint areas (engine, fuel tank, etc), distance LODs, vehicle dashboard, weapon animations, thermal maps, and all the other bits are working. You can even raise/lower the windshield :) The vehicle 3D model is good enough for now. The shadow needs some work, as does the graphic for the front grill area. Neither issues are show stoppers. One feature I would like to add is bullet-resistant glass (NOT BULLET-PROOF). Right now you can shoot through the glass like it isn't there, so that does need some work. From other forum posts, it seems I'm not the only one to have problems getting glass to work properly.

There will be 5 versions:

- M1161 ITV (unarmed basic version) seats 4 total

- M1161 M2 seats 5 total (2 crew and 3 cargo)

- M1161 Mk19 seats 5 total (2 crew and 3 cargo)

- M1161 M2 SOV seats 5 total (3 crew and 2 cargo)

- M1161 Mk19 SOV seats 5 total (3 crew and 2 cargo)

The Special Ops Vehicles (SOV) have a side gunner M240.

larger pic (260k): https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pRWmj6Sw2QC6Tg3AjSMmtO2n3nHrWErG0BR_yTVLNFFOempSu4gdlCee4DamKXQV3pxsoOZ4qY4WgSnd7W-cl9w/M1161showcase_lg.jpg

m1161showcase.jpg

@Kraetzer - OF COURSE it is a useless vehicle in certain scenarios. Just like the SOV hummer and SOV Land Rover, and the other "open top" vehicles:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2_OA:_Vehicles#Wheeled

REMEMBER HOWEVER, that the vehicle is intended for a very specific purpose. It is NOT intended to go head-to-head with a T72 :D The purposes for the real thing, from what I can figure out, are for use on bases and low-threat areas. Think "perimeter patrol" or "armed utility vehicle". Recon is certainly one application!

In addition to use in "mostly safe areas", I can certainly see where this would be useful if the troops were landing and it needed to serve as a Fast Attack Vehicle until the actual armed/armored vehicles could arrive. Light and Fast is one aspect of USMC deployment strategy where this will be handy.

I need to see if I can get the vehicle snorkel to work properly for high water crossing. No, it is not amphibious, but this is one vehicle that should be able to cross water higher than the engine without stalling. I have a plan for scripting that feature. Once I get a chance to see what I can do with that, I will release it.

Edited by hcpookie

Operative;2071220']It offers mobility' date=' highly useful for reconaissance (and infantry, to some extent, even lacking armour).[/quote']

Exactly. Mobility in and of itself makes up for the lack of armor. You can be killed if you get out the heck of there in time.

It's what the USMC did when they switched to the SPC vest from the MTV vest. Or the U.S. Army when they switched from the PASGT to the ACH helmet. Less protection made up for by more mobility.

Seems to be a trend these days. Mobility over power.

@hcpookie great work on theses, there looking great :)

Thanks for the replies! I am making progress with the high water testing - hopefully to have something this weekend. I may just release them as-is without the high water ability and update that later.

I give up on the high water testing. Can't seem to get the script done up right so I'm postponing the high water crossing feature indefinitely. Probably doesn't matter too much considering most maps don't need it.

v1.0 released! See first post :D

m2SOV_3.jpg

Just took them for a spin. No real texture issues, just the springs have a very noticeable white outline, not a real biggy ;)

Just the M1161 bog-standard version has this error i'm guessing: ride in back and the first seat gives you the front right seat view, but your body is in the rear left seat. Just wanted to let you know.

EDIT: Because it looked wierd i tried it again, turns out its really wierd, i tried putting several AI soldiers in order and checking the seats to see if they were ok, well they need looking into : /

ANOTHER EDIT:

It seems its only in the M1161 ITV variant, all others don't seem to have that wierd seating issue.

Edited by Evil_Brownie

Thanks for the feedback; I thought I had sorted that. I can fix that and upload an update tonight ;)

Updated! Download v1.1 in same location. Thanks again for the report!

Uh how useless is this Vehicle =D

One hiding Mg Gunner and everyone is dead.

They can do 50. cal out of Plastic, if it hasn´t cover lol.

The concept isn't bad. A light jeep capable of being carried inside the MV-22B. The Marines could use it as a utility vehicle to carry stuff, use it to perform some basic reconnaissance, or use it as a mobile HMG to support the guys on foot.

It's not something that you would use to lead an attack or patrol streets in counter-insurgency operations.

The problem is that the DoD did not choose the best contender. As a result, we had to spend a lot of extra money getting it to work, and even then the competing design still has an edge in some areas.