Sign in to follow this  
walker

You are being spied on by Carrier IQ

Hi all

You are being spied on.

Google "carrier iq"

The spyware which you did not agree to give access to your data has been found on Android devices, Apple devices, Blackberries, and most other mobile devices as well as laptops even logs and accesses your https pages.

Kind regards walker

Ps I am sure the usual crowd will be in to whine and troll.

A bit late now, but really that wasn't necessary after all.

If any of your future 'news of the world' threads go like this again we close them right away.

Really walker, it seems like all you do recently is living in offtopic and posting anything you run into on whatever news sites you stumble upon.

I think sensationalism should be a bannable offense here. Such waste of time.

I agree, it's not just the time wasted exposing it, it's base deceit and threads like this seek to play upon others feelings, it's a con trick, to what gain I'm not sure.

Hi all

Carrier IQ is busy trying to deny its own patents, I posted them earlier as an example of how they really are focused on trying to spy on you.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9222428/Carrier_IQ_downplays_2010_patent_request_

The thing that started this off was Carrier IQ's attempt to silence anyone who pointed out that they were covertly spying on you. In fact it turns out that they had already silenced two other security researchers with legal threats before the present security researcher and the EFF stood up to them. The fact that the product was purposefully hidden and prevented from users knowing either what it was doing or even allowing them to turn it off shows its true nature complies 100% with the intention of its patents. Of course the real reason they got caught is because the Security researcher also posted up the companies own training materials which showed that the program was intended to be able to focus on individuals, hence why they brought the frivolous court case against him.

http://androidsecuritytest.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/singledevice.png

That was interesting as it kind of puts paid to Carrier IQ's other defense that it was carriers fault for logging customer data.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/carrier_iq_vp_blame_carriers_for_data_logging/

Now that the insecure datalogs have been found Carrier IQ is busy trying to say it was the manufactuers fault.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/3/2608995/carrier-iq-denies-responsiblity-insecure-log-files-blames-manufacturers

Kinda all paints a picture don't it?

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

hahaha lol sorry .... :D

that it is still even open after all is he even serious? ....

Hi all

Well people get spied on all the time, whats new.

Bit of a non story.

Bored now. Leaving thread.

Bye

Yep. I'm sure there's a lot more than this going on.

I'm sorry but I just don't care enough to read all your links. But your off the wall topics peak my interest just enough to read the first few sentences and then dismiss them as the usual spam.

Hi all

Carrier IQ has been discovered on Apple IPhones and is still on some.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/30/2601875/carrier-iq-references-discovered-apple-ios-iphone

The unencrypted log files that Carrier IQ are busy trying to blame the carriers and phone manufactuers for mean that passwords to everything from government and business confidential data have been exposed to as well as peoples credit cards, online banking and emails.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=9400

Carrier IQs new denfence along with, it was the it was the carriers that logged your data not us argument, and the its the manufactuerers fault for not encrypting the log files, is the new one of your not the customer the carrier is the customer.

http://mashable.com/2011/12/05/carrier-iq-interview-takeaways/

As I pointed out earlier:

Examination of the companies own patents proves that they intended to spy on you.

...Carrier IQ is busy trying to deny its own patents, I posted them earlier as an example of how they really are focused on trying to spy on you.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9222428/Carrier_IQ_downplays_2010_patent_request_...

Hence their vehment denials of their own Patents

The companies own training materials shows that they were activley selling the program and systems to spy on the phone carriers customers at an individual level.

...The fact that the product was purposefully hidden and prevented from users knowing either what it was doing or even allowing them to turn it off shows its true nature complies 100% with the intention of its patents. Of course the real reason they got caught is because the Security researcher also posted up the companies own training materials which showed that the program was intended to be able to focus on individuals, hence why they brought the frivolous court case against him.

http://androidsecuritytest.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/singledevice.png...

Over all one has to ask as well as creating a massive hole in your phone seccurity why do they need to have hidden control of every aspect of your phone.

I can not see why on earth they would want to be able to turn on your phones microphone without you knowing?

http://androidsecuritytest.com/features/logs-and-services/loggers/carrieriq/

Kind Regards walker

I can not see why on earth they would want to be able to turn on your phones microphone without you knowing?

Dont watch many movies do you...

p6cv0KsTTfY

Shitty quality, but you get the point...

Realy? I mean, you realy cannot see a reason why at all?

Want to know what a person is talking about? Turn on the mic and listen.. No need to plant bugs any more as people are carrying small mics in their pockets all the time.

Really walker, it seems like all you do recently is living in offtopic and posting anything you run into on whatever news sites you stumble upon.

I like walker's posts, with the amount of debating on this forum I gave up posting on these types of threads somewhat but I lurk them. At least it's (somewhat) intelligent debate going on.

BTW, U mad bro?

Edited by ryguy

I like walker's posts, with the amount of debating on this forum I gave up posting on these types of threads somewhat but I lurk them. At least it's (somewhat) intelligent debate going on.

BTW, U mad bro?

walker has been warned before for excessive news posting. This is BIS forum, not walker's interesting article forum.

This is BIS forum, not walker's interesting article forum.

lol, hmmm is it? :D hehehe

Still don't understand people's fuzz about Walker's threads.

You don't have to read them, you don't have to respond to them, you don't have to like them.

If Walker prefers spending time on these kinds of topics, who are you to tell him not to?

The Offtopic section is designed for this kind of stuff, is it not?

There's a whole section for Offtopic game discussions too, why bother with the Offtopic (non-games) section if you are not interested in it anyway?

Then, instead of Moderators picking on him, how about some support instead? Isn't that the main purpose of the job, instead of picking on it's (longterm) members?

IMO the ones who post offtopic in these threads (myself now included :O), are the problem. Not Walker.

Close the Offtopic section completely if you don't want Offtopic discussions ?

In that case, perhaps lead people to Social Groups (which contain forums, e.g; http://forums.bistudio.com/group.php?groupid=24) as Opt-In solution, as opposed to Opt-Out?

However, allowing Offtopic discussions is one of BIF's strengths if you ask me. BIF is not just limited to discussing BI games.

Perhaps install a plugin that limits the exposure of forums to users, especially useful for the New Posts section.

Not just useful for OffTopic, but useful for anything really - im not interested in OFP/A1 discussions for instance.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=215001 and also already a ticket in the BIF tracker: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/26880

Edited by Sickboy

The Offtopic section is designed for this kind of stuff, is it not?

Not.

Topics should ideally still be related in some way, for example: military, politics, science. Note that just because this is for offtopic it's not a case of "anything goes", silly topics and especially topics which don't have any scope for discussion will be closed/deleted.

UFOs, Tablets, Carrier IQ and Sony's viral ads have nothing to do with Military/Military games. SOME of it is interesting, but its always laced with conspiracy theory nonsense, and because of the derpy layout, one HAS to pass walkers derpthreads on the way to the offtopic gaming section. (Personally I think the boards should be side by side or the other way around, but thats discussion for another thread...)

What really boggles my mind is that he's been told to dial it down with the crazy threads time and time again, but yet here we still are...

Shortcomings of the forum are not Walkers fault. Get them solved i'd say.

Also you forgot to bold the "Ideally" part of the rule, and the last bit too: "silly topics and especially topics which don't have any scope for discussion will be closed/deleted"

So if it fits these requirements, why is it still open / not deleted?

Other than that, the rule is rather left open to interpretation, relation seems subjective.

IMO people are barking at the wrong tree; Annoyances with Walker's threads is a symptom, not the actual problem.

Edited by Sickboy

Shortcomings of the forum are not Walkers fault. Get them solved i'd say.

Also you forgot to bold the "Ideally" part of the rule, and the last bit too: "silly topics and especially topics which don't have any scope for discussion will be closed/deleted"

So if it fits these requirements, why is it still open / not deleted?

I agree with Sickboy regarding the last part.

Hi all

The subject of the thread is a matter of public discussion on the web. It is the subject of two house commitee investigations. It has implications for the security of everything from military and government communications to business confidential matters right down to your banking passwords due to the fact that unencryted log files are created and that even https form data is outputted in clear.

It is without doubt a giant hole in the security of mobile devices and as I wrote earlier even effects some notebook PCs.

One of the key subject areas of this forum section is internet security both for its defense value and the good of those who frequent this forum.

If you don't like the thread don't read it.

If you want to prevent others reading things you do not want them to read...

By the way playing the man to drive a topic out of existence is getting obvious.

Kind regards walker

Edited by walker
Damn predictive text! Commitee not Commuter plus some grammer due to haste

Let me ask this question:

If somebody other than Walker had posted this topic, would it then have been such an issue?

And DM's suggestion somehow this is bad crazy or ladent with conspiracy theory (and other threads) utterly misses the point of the information that is now going public, esp in this subject. How can anyone poo poo the thread maker on a subject such as this massive privacy issues on EVERYONES mobile device .... hmmm. Is it really about the thread maker, does that really overshadow the information?

There is the moderator sticky section to debate issues with it. (He said while replying and doing the same, kind of .... oops).

Edited by mrcash2009

One of the key subject areas of this forum section is internet security both for its defense value and the good of those who frequent this forum.

Really? Is the BIS Forum especially the OT section about internet security or is it just another try get some cover for newsblogging?? Maybe walker should ask himself why he is doing this on a game forum and not on his own website/blog?? Wouldn't that make more sense and be nicer to read + follow (eg walkers newsfeed)? ;)

Really? Is the BIS Forum especially the OT section about internet security or is it just another try get some cover for newsblogging?? Maybe walker should ask himself why he is doing this on a game forum and not on his own website/blog?? Wouldn't that make more sense and be nicer to read + follow (eg walkers newsfeed)? ;)

Post++

Edit for clarity: I come here to read about ArmA, Take On etc. I go elsewhere to read about VBS and I go elsewhere to read about the pressing matters of the day. Last I checked, this game forum was about BI, their games, and military stuffs. Not about every last tidbit of information that is somehow vaguely related to the internets.

Post++

Edit for clarity: I come here to read about ArmA, Take On etc. I go elsewhere to read about VBS and I go elsewhere to read about the pressing matters of the day. Last I checked, this game forum was about BI, their games, and military stuffs. Not about every last tidbit of information that is somehow vaguely related to the internets.

Since the topic of the forum is BIS and their exploits in the world of 0&1's , the offtopic sub section might lead one to believe that the content posted and discussed there has nothing to do with the topic.

If you only come to read about BIS games, why do you bother visiting the offtopic sub section? :bounce3:

As said before, you dont have to read to it, much less respond to it.

There are several options to shield from these things, see propositions in my posts.

BIF is a community, a community about BI games sure, but there are a lot more topics that can be touched and have been touched in this community. That is IMO a strenght, not a weakness.

I guess we are now getting waaaay of topic on an of topic :D sos :p tbh sometimes I like to read it, not that I agree on everything but its pretty interesting ... I mean its like said if you are not interested don't read the of topic bashing on it is surly not the right course to walk :p

Edited by KBourne

If you only come to read about BIS games, why do you bother visiting the offtopic sub section? :bounce3:

2 reasons:

1. Because I actually like "offtopic" when its about military related topics. (Whoda thought I'd want to see military related stuff on a military games forum...)

2. Because I have to come through this section to get to the offtopic: games section.

There are several options to shield from these things, see propositions in my posts.

None of which work without BI implementing changes to the forum.

The crux of my point is tho: Walker was told not to post any more random threads, by W0lle, on more than one occasion. He was told to create a "walkers news post" thread and keep all his postings there. Yet here we still are...

Walker, even though this forum description has "Topics should ideally still be related in some way, for example: military, politics, science and other military games" in it means not that you have to start a new thread about every little news snippet about science or politics.

Either you start your very own "Walkers Science News" thread in which you throw all your news, or you start your own blog somewhere.

While your threads are on topic, a some point your numerous threads simply become boring and/or annoying.

He's still advised to make his own News of the World Blog. :)
If any of your future 'news of the world' threads go like this again we close them right away.

I'm just sayin...