Sign in to follow this  
batto

Video games industry

http://www.destructoid.com/online-passes-can-expire-too--217133.phtml

Just when you thought that online passes couldn't get more amazing, it's been discovered that they can expire, locking brand new copies of games out of various multiplayer modes. What a brilliant new feature.

Attention was called to the issue by a Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit player on NeoGAF, and he was joined by others with similar experiences. It's been noted in the thread that the fine print absolves publishers from any responsibility, with warnings stating that online passes can indeed expire.

So, Electronic Arts and its ilk will not just punish used gamers, but brand new gamers who don't buy a copy quickly enough. It's almost as if these companies want to do my job for me, because no matter how much I rail against online passes, nobody's done a better job of making them look terrible than the publishers using them.

Its as though they're actively encouraging the P word.

Crappy games turn in less profit - must be piracy - we need even more retarded DRM - crappy games turn in even less profit - goddamn those pirates - we need superretarded DRM - crappy games turn in almost no profit - ...

That's what you get when games are not made by gamers anymore who know how it is but by corporate suits.

At least with EA games nothing of value is lost.

The great thing about gaming is that the industry is big enough to fit all of those ideas.

Fascinating new stuff to enrich your gaming

psp accessories & psp charger

Edited by Wulanda

i agree - and the industry will get bigger and bigger i guess!

Edited by bestell

Somehow ubisoft always manages to shot itself in the foot. I don´t feel sorry for them.

They basically FORCE you to crack the game you bought.

Somehow ubisoft always manages to shot itself in the foot. I don´t feel sorry for them.

What's next, having to buy a €350 DNA reader so that not only can they restrict the installation to 3 PCs, but also to just a single human as well. DNA databases so Ubisoft can get an even better idea of the shopping needs of it's cashcows. Want to have your nephew play the game?

Lousy thief, Dear customer,

Tough luck you pirating piece of sh*t! We are sorry to inform you that you will needed to buy 10 more copies of [insert random console port] to play a multiplayer game with your inbred leeching family nephew. Please make sure you buy these copies right away at full retail price, or we will be forced to breach your front door and destroy all discount copies we will disable the ability to use the activations.

Comply or we sue, Kind regards,

Ubisoft Maximum Profit Enforcement Agency

Ubisoft uses Reloaded crack as patch

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2008/07/21/ubisoft-uses-reloaded-crack-as-patch/1

Ubisoft ‘Pirates’ Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood Music From Demonoid

http://torrentfreak.com/ubisoft-pirates-assassins-creed-brotherhood-music-from-demonoid-110316/

Call of Duty is such a great game they've released it eight times.

At least someone else noticed this as well...

jblackrupert, Tonci87

Need I remind you of:

§3) Discussions about copy protection or copying, backing-up, hacking, cracking or reverse engineering of any of BI's products or the products of any other developer will not be tolerated and such discussions will be deleted immediately. Any breach of this rule may result in the poster no longer having access to the forum.

Because some publisher is widely regarded as having draconian DRM does not mean it is correct to condone breaking it. Because the topic is on some news site/ fan forum/ armpit of the internet does not make it a legitimate topic for discussion here.

Please consider this warning in your future posts. Thank you.

Infractions pending...

edit: +1 warning for each of you (0 points) for discussing illegal copies. The default penalty for this is 2 points, and there is no native option for warnings (just so you know). The maximum penalty for this is 10 points that never expire, 2x permanent ban for each instance.

@All

I am leaving this topic open because I think it is possible to discuss your unhappiness with DRM or other game industry problems without condoning illegal cracking. Feel free to prove me right. Thank you.

Edited by Max Power

Well I thnik some publishers in the gaming industry need to realize that they will hurt their own sales by restricting the customer. It is OK to have some kind of DRM but its not OK if the customer experiences Problems because of that. Ubisoft just fails to see this. Well they also fail at making good games ans succeed at turning good franchises into rubbish, so...

At least they should do it how The Evil® (aka Microsoft) does it. Provide pretty expensive retarded (aka OEM) version that will expire on few hardware changes and uber-expensive less-retarded (aka retail) version where you can experience new award winning hardware-replacement feature (say Wow!).

EDIT: By the way, the queries for hardware must end up in one place isn't it? Something like kernel.dll... If I replace it with my own library is it considered pirating? If yes, something is wrong with the world. (Of course I assume I have and legal copy).

EDIT2: Well I guess it can be considered "pirating" (or maybe terrorism) if you click "I agree". Solution is simple: don't ever touch anything from Ubisoft (& others).

Edited by batto

don't ever touch anything from Ubisoft (& others).

I allready follow this advice

don't ever touch anything from Ubisoft (& others).
I allready follow this advice

Same with me, I don't buy games from companies that behave like Ubisoft

and Conmasters even if they do make a few decent games like GRID/Dirt/Toca

I don't want my money being put into any future OFP2's.

Nor do I condone pirating the games of companies like them to get back at them, my post above was merely to point out their hypocrisy.