Sign in to follow this  
walker

Tax the 1%ers and banks to pay for austerity?

Should the 1%ers and the banks be taxed to pay for austerity  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should the 1%ers and the banks be taxed to pay for austerity

• Yes Tax the 1%ers and the banks to pay for austerity
    • No Do not tax the 1%ers and the banks to pay for austerity

I guess people will see what they wish to see, but I just saw a guy answer some odd questions in a fairly calm manner :)

I may have sensationalized it slightly...I mean, he didn't literally take a dump. I don't really think that Paul's questions were odd, however, as they were highlighting the disparity between what reality is and this relatively new broken system they have implemented.

Abs

I may have sensationalized it slightly...I mean, he didn't literally take a dump. I don't really think that Paul's questions were odd, however, as they were highlighting the disparity between what reality is and this relatively new broken system they have implemented.

Abs

Well, they were odd in that they didn't seem to have any purpose. Asking a guy what he thinks money is isn't solving any problems is what I mean by odd questioning :)

Hi all

For those of you who did not read the Memo form John Boehner's Revolving door Lobying group you can read the Memo here:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/sections/news/CLGF-msnbc.pdf

Judge for your selves.

Or you can take PELHAM's Assurances that the Republican Party is not a sock Puppet of the Welfare Queens of Wall Street and their 1%er banker buddies.

Kind Regards walker

OMG! People provide campaign funding, and then expect things in return! It's why we're all poor! PELHAM is a liar!

Your points are all valid, <sarcasm> because the democrats have never ever taken campaign contributions from the 1%, ever!</sarcasm>

Way to offer a one sided view, Walker, while accusing others of doing the same thing.

Abs

Well, they were odd in that they didn't seem to have any purpose. Asking a guy what he thinks money is isn't solving any problems is what I mean by odd questioning :)

Taken as a standalone conversation, it might not have made much sense...but the stuff mentioned in the first four minutes essentially show Paul's distaste at Bernanke's performance in his job, implying that he does not have an understanding of basic economics (evidenced by the fact that while consumer spending is considered important by everyone, the Fed used bailout money to keep things the way there were instead of actually helping), and the question of gold was just the cherry on top. If gold is not money, then I would love to take up Nixon and buy as much gold as I can from them at the $35/ounce value they have assigned to it.

Edited by Abs

Hi all

You Quoted me as saying:

OMG! People provide campaign funding, and then expect things in return! It's why we're all poor! PELHAM is a liar!

When In fact it was you who wrote this.

Please edit your post.

Kind Regards walker

Hi all

You Quoted me as saying:

When In fact it was you who wrote this.

Please edit your post.

Kind Regards walker

It was I, not all, who did that.

Also, the little white arrow with the blue background, when clicked, will take you to your post which is quoted where people can see the expanded version of your post which I so graciously summarized. As such, I will not edit my post.

Abs

It was I, not all, who did that.

Also, the little white arrow with the blue background, when clicked, will take you to your post which is quoted where people can see the expanded version of your post which I so graciously summarized. As such, I will not edit my post.

Abs

No sir you did not sumarise you attempted to place words I did not write and attribute them to me.

I presume in the hope of causing a flame war so that the thread would be closed.

If you want to Summarise your opinion of what I have written fine do so if you have the courage.

I once again and formaly ask you to edit your post.

On the matter of taking a side yes I have an opinion, do you object?

Edited by walker

"OMG! People provide campaign funding, and then expect things in return!"

It is the Republican's Revolving door Politics there laid out in black and white for all to see.

No wonder the 1%ers and Bankers get GOP protection.

"It's why we're all poor!"

Once again the Bleeding Heart Libertarians want us to stop being nasty to the 1%ers and bankers they need our money.

---

Also, the fact that this is posted in the 1% vs 99% thread and your use of the words "our money" implies that you are not part of the wealthy 1%, and speaking to others in your scenario.

"PELHAM is a liar!"

In the side panels yet more boastfully quoted proof showing how much of a falsehood PELHAM is trying to perpetuate on those reading this thread:

<snip>

Just to scotch the next Myth PELHAM will attempt to perpetuate, the one where he says they bankers did not pay them.

No, I think my summary is quite accurate.

Abs

EDIT: Regarding the two lines you've added in your edit:

On the matter of taking a side yes I have an opinion, do you object?

Not at all...if it's reasonably discussed without hypocritically stating that other people are perpetuating myths just because they have a difference of opinion.

I presume in the hope of causing a flame war so that the thread would be closed.

Also not the case. The hope is that you realize that the only opinion isn't your own and that you shouldn't accuse other members of perpetuating falsehoods and myths.

Walker.. You're implying that libertarians support Boehner. If what you say is true, he is no better than Obama or any other corporatist.

We are against money in politics just as much as OWS.The difference is that we can see past the childish "us vs. them" argument. The rich have done nothing to promote the wage gap, the POWERFUL have done so. The problems we face are because we ignore the first law of economics, everything is finite. We have unlimited money, the costs of living going up, wages do not.

My family in a single generation started a successful lumber business and expanded into investing in real estate. We are what OWS call the 1%. We have stolen from no one, we have earned our money fairly through consent and the free market. And now you ask us in hard economic times when we have to consider laying people off to survive, to pay MORE in taxes?

I don't want to pay for the TSA, the FDA, the DEA, the DoE, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, gitmo, or anything else that we are doing around the world. The IRS can get fucked.

Hi all

In Reply to Abs:

PELHAM tried to say the Memo and its content had no link to John Boehner and the Republican Party I posted evidense to disprove this assertion.

You can think your summary is accurate and indeed write that is what you sumarize in a forum such as this, it is a free and open forum.

What you cannot do is ascribe to some one words they did not write.

Any way I have left the matter in the hands of the moddies, if they are of the opinion that this is acceptable behaviour on the forum then I would like to know.

Any further posts you wish to direct to me on this matter do so through the moddies.

On the true matter of the thread.

What clearly frightens the 1%ers and bankers and their GOP sockpupets is the rising power of the people and their abhorance of the inequality of those who are bearing the costs of the failure of capitalism due to the missmanagment of wealth by the 1%ers and bankers.

Unless and until it these iniquities are dealt with peoples anger will continue to rise as are the Occupy movements coffers and influence.

Kind Regards walker

Dear moderators,

At Walker's request, I would like to ask that you let him know that while he claims to provide an unblemished opinion based on facts, there are examples as recently as today where he has been informed of his erroneous ways, yet he continues to perpetuate the myth that libertarians are to blame here. Please see the quotes below.

November 18th:

Walker, libertarians were utterly opposed to the bailouts. It is blatantly false to say that libertarians were responsible for giving banks taxpayer money; if it were up to the libertarians, all of those financial institutions would have been allowed to fail. It was the neocons and your beloved Democrats who decided that the banks needed to be bailed out with taxpayer money, not the libertarians.

Three days later...

Once again the Bleeding Heart Libertarians want us to stop being nasty to the 1%ers and bankers they need our money.

Despite his perpetuation of these myths, he blames others for perpetuating what he also calls myths. As soon as I have addressed him on the matter, he has requested that I speak to him through you, as if you are his personal lawyers or something.

What you cannot do is ascribe to some one words they did not write.

walker acknowledges that you cannot do this, yet he does something similar in his negative painting of "the Bleeding Heart Libertarians" despite having been corrected. All I have done here is attempt to show him his clear, FOX news style bias, and asked that he himself stop perpetuating myths.

He has accused me of flame baiting. Please know that this was not my intent, as evidenced by my backing up everything I have said.

Thank you,

Abs

The problem here is in IMHO opinion that the banksters committed an incredible amount of fraud.

1.) I want them investigated. If there is no fraud than they have nothing to fear.

2.) If there is fraud than they should stand trial and be sentenced.

It's as simple as that. But since our juridical system is also corrupt to their bones noone is ever held accountable.

Now I'm personally sick and tired of this corrupt system. I mean if you are getting rich by hard work without violating laws than OK . . . I've no problem with that.

But if you are engaged in fraud than it's not anymore ok with me. And if our justice completely fails, in holding accountable these people for their criminal actions than our democracy is worth nothing.

Edited by nettrucker

Politics is a very convoluted and nebulous subject that tends to draw out the worst in people.

As far as I am concerned:

People, even libertarians, are entitled to their opinion. People who disagree are invited to discuss the issues in a constructive discourse.

Non constructive discourse will get this thread locked. In this category I do include summarization of quotes that changes the tone of the original in order to make the quotee look like and idiot. I'm looking at you, Abs.

If this thread is dragging everyone down to resorting to partisan name calling, pejorative labelling, or innuendo, then it is contributing nothing to the forum and will be pulled. That said, I know a number of you look on walker's posts with hostility and cynicism. Until there is a change in our moderation instructions, walker has a right to post what he wants within the rules. Attempting to cause his threads to be locked out of spite by flamebaiting and bad behaviour may result in infractions.

I hope my stance on this is clear.

Bringing this thread back on topic: Walker, you say that the Republicans and "bleeding heart libertarians" are the ones supporting the massive banks. In that case, tell me, if you will, which of these men is the Democrat and which is the Republican.

(data from 2008 but still relevant)

v2i2t2.png

Look at the entries I marked in red. Those are all major financial institutions. They all contributed to Obama, not our libertarian.

Obama is the president of the one percent, by the one percent and for the one percent.

Edited by RangerPL

Hi all

In Reply to Abs:

PELHAM tried to say the Memo and its content had no link to John Boehner and the Republican Party I posted evidense to disprove this assertion.

Kind Regards walker

No I didn't, that's untruthful. You are attempting to place words I did not write and attribute them to me. I said:

"What fact is that? You are saying the lobby firm belongs to J Boehner? If so you are incorrect? Two of the partners in the lobby firm used to work in Boehner's office. 1 left 4 years ago, the other in January this year.

That is the only connection between Boehner and the memo. Former employees."

I did not say anything about the Republican leanings of the lobby group because it's pretty obvious they are a Republican lobby group! I said there were no connections between John Boehner and the memo apart from his ex-employees.

You have provided no evidence contrary to that? You have posted evidence to show the lobby group has Republican leanings which was clear to all at the outset.

Hi all

Or you can take PELHAM's Assurances that the Republican Party is not a sock Puppet of the Welfare Queens of Wall Street and their 1%er banker buddies.

Kind Regards walker

You did it again on the previous page, I have never said this, please apologise and retract or I will have to report this.

I thought it was established that the protest against large financial institutions and authorities systematically trashing the economy was not the same as some generic wooly-thinking protest against "capitalism" or "big nasty companies" or any of the particular brands that you can identify.

Oh wait, I get it. It doesn't matter, your mind is made up :) anyone on this protest and who has ever bought anything, ever, is a hypocrite :) I see how easy this is, no wonder you love that angle.

Some guy talking on Youtube about stuff he's misunderstood, about people we cannot verify exist or acted in the way he said they did, apparently own some stuff from some companies who's name we've heard of. Seriously?

No I didn't, that's untruthful. You are attempting to place words I did not write and attribute them to me. I said:

"What fact is that? You are saying the lobby firm belongs to J Boehner? If so you are incorrect? Two of the partners in the lobby firm used to work in Boehner's office. 1 left 4 years ago, the other in January this year.

That is the only connection between Boehner and the memo. Former employees."

I did not say anything about the Republican leanings of the lobby group because it's pretty obvious they are a Republican lobby group! I said there were no connections between John Boehner and the memo apart from his ex-employees.

You have provided no evidence contrary to that? You have posted evidence to show the lobby group has Republican leanings which was clear to all at the outset.

You did it again on the previous page, I have never said this, please apologise and retract or I will have to report this.

Hi PELLHAM

So I gather from this post you are no longer denying that Republican Party are the Sock Puppets of the Wall Street Welfare Queens, 1%ers and Bankers.

Your Dispute is a technical defense that Bohener was no longer employing them to fight the 2008 election for him. Well I fully accept that 2008 elections gone and in the past. I just point out that the partnership itself makes money off the fact that it still has those connections to John Boehner and boasts about them on its own website, as I quoted in my previous post.

I also pointed out that it was as clear an example of Republican Party Revolving Door politics and Lobying as could ever be found.

...It is the Republican's Revolving door Politics there laid out in black and white for all to see.

No wonder the 1%ers and Bankers get GOP protection...

Kind Regards walker

Walker, either you have missed this post or you have no coherent reply to it. I have solid evidence there that Obama, not the GOP, is the friend of the 1% elite.

Ignoring evidence is what you seem to accuse your opponents of, yet you do the same thing. Please explain to me how Obama's top contributors include Citibank, Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan.

Edit: Post quoted for your convenience (and everyone else's):

Bringing this thread back on topic: Walker, you say that the Republicans and "bleeding heart libertarians" are the ones supporting the massive banks. In that case, tell me, if you will, which of these men is the Democrat and which is the Republican.

(data from 2008 but still relevant)

v2i2t2.png

Look at the entries I marked in red. Those are all major financial institutions. They all contributed to Obama, not our libertarian.

Obama is president of the one percent, by the one percent and for the one percent.

Edited by RangerPL

Hi PELLHAM

So I gather from this post you are no longer denying that Republican Party are the Sock Puppets of the Wall Street Welfare Queens, 1%ers and Bankers.

Trying to get me sucked in to a circular argument and again attempting to attribute things to me I have never posted or commented on? It's a sign of weakness to resort to dirty tricks old man....

Your Dispute is a technical defense that Bohener was no longer employing them to fight the 2008 election for him. Well I fully accept that 2008 elections gone and in the past. I just point out that the partnership itself makes money off the fact that it still has those connections to John Boehner and boasts about them on its own website, as I quoted in my previous post.

Kind Regards walker

Well yes we are discussing a memo in 2011 written by a lobby group who employ 2 members of staff that used to work for Boehner. That is the only tenuous link between Boehner and the memo.

Edited by PELHAM

Hi all

In reply to PELHAM.

Trying to get me sucked in to a circular argument and again attempting to attribute things to me I have never posted or commented on? It's a sign of weakness to resort to dirty tricks old man....

PELHAM I posted the full text of your post for others to judge alongside my opinion of your post.

Well yes we are discussing a memo in 2011 written by a lobby group who employ 2 members of staff that used to work for Boehner. That is the only tenuous link between Boehner and the memo.

So now your technical defence of John Boehner is that he has not been in contact with the people who set up the lobbying firm who wrote the memo since it was set up?

Odd because as I pointed out, in text quoted from the lobbying firm, the firm boasts about its contacts with John Boehner. So I guess the next step is to investigate John Boehner's meetings and phone records.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Why are you ignoring RangerPL's post, walker? He posed a very good and incredibly valid question toward you. His post shows that there are Democrat politicians that take campaign donations too. How can you continue yelling that the revolving door politics doesn't turn both ways?

I'm going to request one more time that you stop being a hypocrite. Thank you.

Abs

Hi all

In reply to Abs and RangerPL

Was Ron Paul a candidate for president in 2008?

Open Secrets the website that RangerPL selectivley quotes from says not:

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/index.php

By the way always better to quote the original source page. For all anyone knows you may have made up that picture. Still have not found the original source for your picture would you care to enlighten us?

He was not even a libertarian in that election it was the one where he sold his soul to the Republican party and put his support behind a certain Mr McCain.

You may like to compare like with like next time.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Was Ron Paul a candidate for president in 2008?

He was, but he did not win the Republican nomination, which is why he isn't listed among the general election candidates.

He was, but he did not win the Republican nomination, which is why he isn't listed among the general election candidates.

Im curious if he's going past the Republican nomination this time.