Sign in to follow this  
smokey6

ArmA 2:OA, Does it have LAN play and other questions?

Hi all,

I was led here after finding out that BF3 will not have local LAN play and wanted to find out more about ArmA 2. I have a number of questions if someone wouldn't mind answering. I did some searching online but I just need concrete answers and not having to go to 20 different sites to get it. I'm in a LAN party group of about 12 players on average. So here goes.

- Does Arma 2 have local LAN play and is it listen server or dedicated server? The key here is local play. One of our venues doesn't have good broadband connection but we can authenticate there and then play offline.

- Is this a fun game for LAN parties of our size? How much harder is it to get familiar with this game compared to games like BF? Guess what I'm looking for is estimated time on average to get fimiliar and the fun begins?

- Online authentication? Online all the time play?

- Can we all go co-op against the AI?

- Is there deathmatch?

- Is ArmA 2: OA the best version for us to buy?

- Are there any highly recommended mods we should also get?

Ok, that should be a good start.

thanks

- Does Arma 2 have local LAN play

Yes. It even has dedicated server exe onboard. So if you can organise a PC with good CPU and enough Ram but maybe onboard graphics (dedicated server doesn't need a good GPU) you might install with your own DVD on this server and set up a dedicated server.

Besides this, every client can open a game by hosting itself.

- Is this a fun game for LAN parties of our size?

Define "fun", please. I don't know your mates. If you and your mates are looking for quick kills, ArmA 2 probably isn't the best of all choices. But if you're willing to invest some effort in it, it can be really awarding. Hard to give a precise and final answer though.

- Online authentication? Online all the time play?

Hmm, this is a BIS game, not EA or Ubisoft.

- Can we all go co-op against the AI?

Erm, yes. ArmA 2 is THE coop game and outflanks any other game out there in coop style.

- Is there deathmatch?

There is, although by default there aren't many DM missions included. Check common hosting sites (www.armaholic.com) or discover the allmighty included editor.

- Is ArmA 2: OA the best version for us to buy?

Personally i would recommend Combined Operations.

- Are there any highly recommended mods we should also get?

Yes...and no. Depends on what you want. Also check armaholic.com for further informations about this topic.

Hi all,

I was led here after finding out that BF3 will not have local LAN play and wanted to find out more about ArmA 2. I have a number of questions if someone wouldn't mind answering. I did some searching online but I just need concrete answers and not having to go to 20 different sites to get it. I'm in a LAN party group of about 12 players on average. So here goes.

1 Does Arma 2 have local LAN play and is it listen server or dedicated server? The key here is local play. One of our venues doesn't have good broadband connection but we can authenticate there and then play offline.

2 Is this a fun game for LAN parties of our size? How much harder is it to get familiar with this game compared to games like BF? Guess what I'm looking for is estimated time on average to get fimiliar and the fun begins?

3 Online authentication? Online all the time play?

4 Can we all go co-op against the AI?

5 Is there deathmatch?

6 Is ArmA 2: OA the best version for us to buy?

7 Are there any highly recommended mods we should also get?

Ok, that should be a good start.

thanks

1. Yes, it does has Local LAN. You can choose if you want the server listed or not over the network.

2. Should be fun in LAN even with less players than you have. Comparing with any other FPS out there would be waste of time. To answer your question is it a LOT harder to get a good grips of it. It doesn't take a lot to get through the very basics (without more complicated stuff such as commanding and alike).

3. Online authentication is available only for the Steam version. All other version (including downloaded ones) have no such thing. With retail version you don't even need CD in the drive.

4. yes you can

5. yes there is

6. recommended would be A2: CO (combined Operation)

7 too many to list here. depends on what time of gameplay you like and what you want to achieve.

Very very good. I'm really excited now. I will propose this game to our group. As far as fun most of our members are tired of the frantic run and gun games like COD. ArmA 2 looks like nice change of pace.

A couple of tips if you guys are just getting started with the game:

1. Make sure to update to the latest version (1.59 as of this post) and get the latest beta patch from here. The betas really are a vast improvement, especially in the MP area. Also make sure to update to 1.60 when it comes out, since it will contain all the beta improvements and more.

2. Be very patient. It will take a while for everyone to set up the controls to their liking and tweak the video settings for the best performance. Where the controls are concerned, I would recommend not trying to set up everything at once. Start with the basic infantry movement controls and adjust them until you are comfortable, then work your way into other areas on the fly. It will slow you down at first, but that will pay off later.

As for the graphics settings, a word of warning: no matter how powerful your computer is, you will not be able to max them out. Expect to make compromises to achieve good performance vs. visuals. I can post some recommended tweaks if needed.

3. I would recommend starting off with a mission called "Domination". It's basically a large scale coop that will allow you to try out all kinds of weapons and vehicles.

Ok, its a go. I convinced them to give it a try at our next LAN party in November. That is the free version. If all goes well then everyone will buy Arma2:OA

So the free version will let us do practically everything multiplayer related that the full version will?

I already bought Arma 2. If I host will the free version work with it?

Also I bought Arma 2 through a digital download. If I buy OA retail (box) will it install ok with the digital version?

Also thanks for the tips getting started. Definitely appreciated and will be used.

> I already bought Arma 2. If I host will the free version work with it?

yes

> Also I bought Arma 2 through a digital download. If I buy OA retail (box) will it install ok with the digital version?

yes

Combined ops is the original game with woodland maps with the operation arrowhead desert scenarios expansion, (which is also a stand alone game). Defo go for combined ops if the free game trial goes well for all the original maps and units etc. 12 player LAN will be fantastic.

Edited by o0Jedi0o

Hey guys,

Our LAN party is Saturday. I fired up the game and have been trying to figure out how things work for setting up a server and some game features. I did figure out the different game modes and tried out a few but there are a few questions I could use some help with. First off I only attempted the map wizard editor once so thats still pretty confusing. I ran about 6 already build in games and just played around with the controls. Anyway these are my current top questions.

1. Vehicles, where are they? I saw a few jeeps, a tank looking think like a Bradley and thats about it. Where are the jets, helis, boats, M1 abrams, etc.

2. AI just standing and not moving. I figure I need to give them a command but haven't figured it out yet.

3. Can you kick the AI players out of the vehicles? If you've played Battlefield games you know what I'm talking about. You click your enter function the AI is booted out of vehicle.

4. MAP, is the map just for overview to see whats going on or do you actually command from it?

5. Weapons and classes. Are there different loadout options for these? I always seem to start as assault.

Ok, thats the top of my concerns. If you can answer any of those to give me a leg up that be awesome. In the meantime I'll get back to trying to figure it all out.

thanks!

1. Vehicles, where are they? I saw a few jeeps, a tank looking think like a Bradley and thats about it. Where are the jets, helis, boats, M1 abrams, etc.

2. AI just standing and not moving. I figure I need to give them a command but haven't figured it out yet.

3. Can you kick the AI players out of the vehicles? If you've played Battlefield games you know what I'm talking about. You click your enter function the AI is booted out of vehicle.

4. MAP, is the map just for overview to see whats going on or do you actually command from it?

5. Weapons and classes. Are there different loadout options for these? I always seem to start as assault.

I only use the main editor so am not too sure regards the simpler scenario editor, anyway lets have a go;

Go into scenario click ‘My Missions’ then ‘New Mission’, decide which quick simple game you would like, when I say simple I mean simple to set up, may take you ages to complete it, anyhow, once you decide (quick ‘Basic’ is good to start with), expand it to allow you to choose your side Blufor (west) or Opfor (east), say you click ‘Blufor’ little menu will come up, now ‘Name’ your mission, be sure to give it a name so you can come back to it, choose the map you want to play on, then click units, it will tell you what is provided as standard, go into edit, a small menu offering you the option to alter, change, add to etc, you will see infantry, vehicles, armour etc, choose what you want to play as and how many men you want (you can add some more later this is your main group here you are to command) add a man or two. Once you have chosen which you would like to play as change the enemy amount, type etc or just leave it as it is. That done choose the weather you want also time & date you want to set your mission. Now ‘Parameters’ click this and set the ‘Ambient’ combat, low is default but you can set it for more etc, ambient combat is the occasional enemy or friendly contact the computer will automatically produce during your mission, on the way to your main objective, the higher the ambient setting the more the additional combat. Now go into edit, a map will pop up showing the simple scenario you have created, in basic its really just destroy the outpost and get to the final destination, however here you can move the green icons on the map also the outpost if you want also you can add more action, for instance double click on the map a menu will appear to allow you to add units either enemy or friendly, add one for now, then click once on the unit you created and double ‘right click’ somewhere you would like the unit to move to on the map a ‘waypoint’ will appear, double click the waypoint and set the behaviour etc, so first the type of order you want it to carry out i.e. ‘Move’, ‘Destroy’, ‘Get In Nearest’ etc, then set the behaviour, safe, aware, combat etc, aware is good to start on, now the formation, if it’s a group you will see the different formations you can have them move in, now the combat mode, ‘open fire’ or ‘open fire engage at will’ are the ones to choose for a simple set up, you can of course choose any. Once you complete that ’Esc’ to close the menu, if you want to add more waypoints repeat the same, click once on the waypoint then right click the map and so on. Add units and give waypoints to them, then your mission will be built. When you have finished ’Preview’ your mission choose the difficulty level then play. The map will appear giving a general outline showing units etc, click continue and play your mission, if you want to come out of the mission ’Esc’ and abort, provided you gave your mission a name you can go back to it edit it again if you want and re-play it..

When you first get into your mission the men you chose to have with you will be on the map, in the bottom left corner of your screen you will see their icon’s, now click ‘F2’ the icon will be highlighted for that unit also a small menu will appear with some quick orders to give him i.e. move there etc, experiment moving him around. Now F2,3,4 etc to highlight your units press any of the numbers i.e. 7 will give you behaviour, stance etc, press different numbers for different commands. Making simple missions is fairly simple in the scenario editor more complex missions can take a long time to finish and best done in the main editor, but part of the fun is building the missions.

That’s a brief look at the scenario editor, its simple and easy once you have done it for the first time.

My advice would be to use the main ’Editor’ to make really complex mission after getting used to it first..

There are lots of vehicles, aircraft, armour, infantry etc to choose from but there is a large amount of mods available from the talented mod making community that can add armies, vehicles, aircraft in-fact everything to keep you happy…

If you command a group you can order them into a vehicle and then order them to get out again, all or just one or two, just highlight their icon bottom left screen and the easiest way is just to look at the vehicle you want them to get in and a symbol will appear to make it easy, when you want them out highlight icon and tell them to disembark..

Load-outs are fixed unless you use simple scripts, easiest way to begin with is select an ammo crate put it where your group is on the map and load-out in game..

If you choose to play as a commander use the ‘High Command’ module and the ‘Subordinate Command’ module to set up a chain of command, I would leave that till later for now, but yes you can be the commander of a whole army if you want to, and command them from the map if that is your wish..

Hey guys,

Our LAN party is Saturday...

This looks more like a case of un-microsofting the new apple-user:

1. If you are using the editor, you must place vehicles to get to the vehicles. If you are using a user created mission, you'd probably best play through it, or check the readme, most of the better missions come with.

2. If you are placing the AI in the editor, they will stand there and do nothing unless you configure waypoints for them. Or, script other actions for them.

3. Vehicles you buy, in the modes that offer that ( Warfare ), or vehicles assigned to you in the editor, if you have AI-squad members,can be ordered in or out of a vehicle. Alternatively, for other players, you can only lock vehicle or unlock it, you cannot boot players out.

4. The map, once you realise the sheer size of Chernarus or Takistan, takes on whole new responsibilities.

5. There are no classes, weapons are items, all items have to be placed, if you are using the editor. You'll need to place an ammo box, and place whichever weapons you want, in the ammo box. Or, an ammo truck, or trunk of vehicles. If you are using a custom mission, most come with readme's for the Basics: SitRep, etc...

...Syn...

Edited by VisceralSyn
typo's, and other grammatical error corrections

Wow, this is going to take a while to get used to. At least you clarified a lot of my confusion. Anyway, we start tomorrow at 10am so I hope I can pull a rabbit out of the hat. ;)

LAN PARTY!:yay:

Just came across your thread and was wondering how the LAN party turned out? Arma can be a lot to set up and learn AT a LAN party. It's better to have everyone play for several days or even weeks prior to the party. You may have found that out.

I hope it didn't frustrate anyone and cause them to give up playing the game. Arma is very rewarding once you get the hang of it. If you're still playing it, then you know what I mean.

Just came across your thread..

Pity you didn't come across the forum rules first. Posting to threads this old is a non-no:

§10) Do not dig up old threads

Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. If in doubt as to what is "significant", contact a moderator and they will give you their opinion. As always old threads will remain open or be closed at the moderator's discretion. Digging up an old thread simply to ask "any news" is also not acceptable, PM the thread starter or mod leader to ask.

The mods jump on posts like yours for good reasons - searching will inform you as to why.

Some friendly advice (since you clearly posted with kind motives) - have a read-through the rules again.

Pity you didn't come across the forum rules first. Posting to threads this old is a non-no:

The mods jump on posts like yours for good reasons - searching will inform you as to why.

Some friendly advice (since you clearly posted with kind motives) - have a read-through the rules again.

^^This

-Closed-